daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1201
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
It's strange that a big city like Vienna doesn't have a full ring autobahn or at least a fast way without traffic lights and level crossings (like for example the Mittlerer Ring of Munich).
Is it possible you don't have any traffic problems?
I guess that it simply wasn't necessary due to the iron curtain. With a reunified Europe, things change and suddenly Vienna needs motorway bypasses. Of course, building these needs some time in such a country.
I don't know about inner-city traffic though. But I guess that traffic spreads out mor on the ring roads (unlike in Munich where everything jams on the Mittlerer Ring).

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1202
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

I guess it is because the Gürtel features a green wave - it is possible to pass it with one or two stops only...
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #1203
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

A6 from Bratislava by studiowacho, this forest is still Slovakia-Bratislava but village over there is Berg.

image hosted on flickr

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; September 15th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1204
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

The new S33 bridge across the Donau (Danube) river near Traismauer will open October 29th, 2010. S33 is being rerouted to relieve the city of Krems, and to provide a regional ring road around Wien (Vienna).

scheme:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 20th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1205
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Nice update Chris. I was just looking at that section last time and by this completion only S1 is missing to complete the Vienna "ring".

I put " marks around ring because the western part is still not solved I think.

For the long distances in direction to Linz, S33 as "western bypass" will be usefull for the northern part of Vienna, where situation is quite similar as northern Stockholm and E18 (or southern Stockholm and E20).

However driving from the north part of Vienna to west part is still unsolved since there is no quick connection but city streets.
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the regionring around Wien, especially the western part of A1-S33-S5 will be more for traffic to and from Wien, than for urban traffic. The section of S33 is way too far from Wien for that purpose. Nobody from south to north Wien would use the detour via S33.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1207
rarse

That's what I said. There simply is no western bypass solution for the city of Vienna.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, I kind of echoed what you said

As for the western ring of Wien, they could build something undergrond. Madrid built a part of their inner ringroad (M-30) underground, even with underground interchanges. Austrians already have extensive knowledge about tunnels, so this shouldn't be the problem. I will make a map later of what I have in mind.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

My idea of a "Westtangente Wien":

A bored 2x2 tunnel of 14.5 km length, similar to the A9 tunnel in Graz. It will start at A2 terminus, continue north underneath a portion the Schönbrunner Schloß, and mostly underground interchanges with B1 and B14, along with two less major roads (Altmannsdorfer Straße and Hernaiser Hauptstraße).

The impact on environment and urban area of Wien will be close to zero, as only the approaches of interchanges will need to be above grade, which can be simple traffic lights at the tunnel entrance to the motorway. I planned a new bridge across the Donau River north of Wien, terminating at the B302 interchange with A22.

The most important issue of this tunnel would be its cost (estimate: € 1.2 billion, based on the price of the Tauern Tunnel second tube, with cost inflation of 20%), and possible interference with underground utility infrastructure, plus U4 and U6 of the Wiener U-bahn.

It would be a toll road, with license-plate recognition ETC only, to pay back the cost quicker.

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1210
rarse

Sounds good to me.

But why tools? I know that costs would be pretty high but same could be A22 tooled as eastern bypass.

Last edited by rarse; September 20th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1211
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My idea of a "Westtangente Wien":

A bored 2x2 tunnel of 14.5 km length, similar to the A9 tunnel in Graz. It will start at A2 terminus, continue north underneath a portion the Schönbrunner Schloß, and mostly underground interchanges with B1 and B14, along with two less major roads (Altmannsdorfer Straße and Hernaiser Hauptstraße).

The most important issue of this tunnel would be its cost (estimate: € 1.2 billion, based on the price of the Tauern Tunnel second tube, with cost inflation of 20%), and possible interference with underground utility infrastructure, plus U4 and U6 of the Wiener U-bahn.
19 km long planned section of S1 east of Wien from Schwechat to Süssenbrunn with 8 km long tunnel under Danube should cost € 1,7 billion. So € 1,2 billion for 14,5 km tunnel length with two underground exits would rather translate into € 3 billion.

http://www.asfinag.at/strassennetz/w...0f_version=1.0

Today it is easier and often much cheaper to build tunnels under mountain ranges than under cities.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1212
Norbb

Likes (Received): 13

Good thought.
Personally I would intercept A1 traffic earlier and route under the Vienna "Mountains" (= hills basically ) as suggested by keber.

Alternatively one could go along the once planned A20 (http://www.wien.gv.at/stadtentwicklu...sen-1971-g.jpg) to finally make good use of the Brigittenauer bridge (B14a - only 26k vehicles/day in 1999).

I guess in this case a solution similar to Ohashi JCT would be necessary for the two easternmost interchanges (http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5513/009lv.jpg).

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1213
Vallex

Likes (Received): 0

But then how about S1?
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1214
Halitophobe
Casual User

I don't know why Austrian motorways are made up to be so great though.

There pretty good quality but capacity wise, they are lacking. I mean, lets face it, Austria is a transit country, its the crossroads between east, west, south and north. And so it doesnt look good when its the middle of summer and you're stuck in a 50km queue for the Tauern Tunnel. (no jokes the queue was actually 50km. and that was at 7.30 in the morning, imagine what it would be like at lunch time.)
Halitophobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Tauern Tunnel is currently being widened to 2x2 lanes, which should solve the worst congestion. To be completed before the summer of 2011.

Apart from the summer weekends, there is almost no traffic on the north-south routes A9 and A10.

This is how it looks on a Tuesday in August:

Old October 12th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #1216
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^ my favourite motorway.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1217
Halitophobe
Casual User

Quote:
The Tauern Tunnel is currently being widened to 2x2 lanes, which should solve the worst congestion. To be completed before the summer of 2011.
It's all very well having only one tube if you have only just opened the motorway. But Tauern Autobahn has been open for nearly 30 years and so its a bit cheeky not opening the other! I mean its not like its the Gotthard Tunnel or anything like that were opening a second tube would mean extra expense, after all Tauern tunnel is tolled and is part of one of major European North South routes (Salzburg-Thessalonikki). That means loads of traffic trying to squeeze through a tiny gap in the mountains and the only other option is to go via Bad Gastein which means the autotrain.

Last edited by Halitophobe; October 12th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Halitophobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #1218
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halitophobe View Post
But Tauern Autobahn has been open for nearly 30 years and so its a bit cheeky not opening the other! I mean its not like its the Gotthard Tunnel or anything like that were opening a second tube would mean extra expense,
They have to build new tube, not just open it. This is big expense.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1219
keber

Yesterday I made a trip to Vienna and back. I wanted to take some pictures of A2 (it is not much pictured here, I think) but weather was very bad all the way there and back, so no pictures.

I was surprised to see speed limits because of rain even on new (concrete) pavement around Graz. Also the section between Pinggau and Grimmenstein (descent from hills to the plains) is really dangerous in rain with pretty bad pavement (the worst I've seen on Austria motorways) and very sharp curves. I don't understand, why do they repave other sections and/or motorways with relatively good pavement, but they don't touch this section.

Still I took this picture of one of the more confusing interchanges I ever travelled (A2-S1-A21 south of Wien)

I almost missed direction to S1 and airport (I missed S1 from A4 later that day) even if I was there just three months ago. Redesigning signs in interchanges should really be done in Austria.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1220
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What's the purpose of the next exit?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria