daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1321
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

WTF??? Why is that Anschlussstelle Liezen built like that? It seems so crapy. It's something between Halbanschlussstelle and Anschlussstelle
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #1322
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

A10 interchange Spittal Nord also has exits on the left hand side in both directions.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #1323
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
WTF??? Why is that Anschlussstelle Liezen built like that? It seems so crapy. It's something between Halbanschlussstelle and Anschlussstelle
Because it was originally planned as an intersection to S8 Ennstalschnellstrasse, which would have run from Selzthal/Liezen along the track of B320 to A10 Knoten Ennstal. Why the ramp Liezen -> Linz wasn't built is beyond me, but you can go there easily via B146 and Ardning intersection on A9, losing only 2 min compared to the opposite direction.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1324
phiberoptik
Şerif

Well, than make it sense. But even then, left exists are so not-European, and there is place to make it regular Knoten with right exits/entrances. Do you know reason for left-exit?
For ramp Liezen/Lienz, maybe ASFINAG thought of S8 as easier connection of München(D)/Salzburg(A) with Graz(A) and further
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #1325
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
Well, than make it sense. But even then, left exists are so not-European, and there is place to make it regular Knoten with right exits/entrances. Do you know reason for left-exit?
This is only speculation: the so-called "Gastarbeiterroute" or "ex-pat workers' route" used by many Yugoslavian and Turkish expats in Germany and the Netherlands led from Munich via Salzburg - Radstadt - Liezen - Bruck/Mur - Graz to Yugoslavia and Turkey. As this route crosses no high alpine passes and in those days motorways through the alps were almost non-existing, this was the easiest route. If S8 had been built, maybe traffic calculations showed that the main traffic flow was Salzburg - Liezen - Graz as opposed to Linz - Graz, thus the main carriageway was planned for this relation. However, completion of the A3.de - A8.at - A9.at - A1.slo as well as the A8.de - A10.at - A11.at - A2.slo rendered the aforementioned route via Ennstal more or less obsolete, also the reason for the cancellation of S8 between Radstadt and Liezen, B320 today has an AADT of only about 10,000 cars/24 hrs.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1326
phiberoptik
Şerif

rower2000, thank you for your info. Just after I posted question, I found on the Internet this article: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennstal_Stra%C3%9Fe

Thank you, anyway
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1327
tayregoodwin

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know about the progress on the A26 Westring autobahn near Linz? There seems to be lots of opposition to this however, due to my limited understanding of the Austrian language, I'm not too sure why? Is the autobahn construction likely to go ahead? I am more specifically interested in the bridge over the Danube that will be built in order to complete this autobahn. Thanks!
tayregoodwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1328
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayregoodwin View Post
Does anyone know about the progress on the A26 Westring autobahn near Linz? There seems to be lots of opposition to this however, due to my limited understanding of the Austrian language, I'm not too sure why? Is the autobahn construction likely to go ahead? I am more specifically interested in the bridge over the Danube that will be built in order to complete this autobahn. Thanks!
The bridge will be built, also the Southern tunnel. The connection to A7 will be redesigned.
If you have a working knowledge of German, try this article. However, opposition comes not only from the usual suspects (i.e., the Greens and militant environmentalist groups) because many - including me - believe that the A26, especially in the now-planned state, won't achieve the results wanted by the planners. After all, most of the jams on the road between Ottensheim and Linz are caused by people working in Linz and living in the Mühlviertel towards Rohrbach. This A26 IMHO only gives an advantage to those wanting to go towards A1, which is a rather low percentage...
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1329
tayregoodwin

Thank you Rower, very helpful! Unfortunately my German is as bad as my Austrian, however Google translate seemed to do a good enough job! One of the bits I picked up on was that there is due to be an election prior to the start of this project - could that stop the A26 from being built? There is also an ambiguous translation with regard to the start/end date. It mentions that construction is until at least the 2nd half of 2014 - do they mean thats when construction will start or that it will be finished at that point?
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1330
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Thank you Rower, very helpful! Unfortunately my German is as bad as my Austrian,
Aren't they the same language?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Actually A7 north of A1 is the busiest road outside the Vienna area. 102.000 vehicles per day. I'm not sure if the A26 is the right way to solve this though. Linz does lack a western bypass, but maybe a 2x2 city road would be suffice. They better invest in the road to the Czech border.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1332
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually A7 north of A1 is the busiest road outside the Vienna area. 102.000 vehicles per day. I'm not sure if the A26 is the right way to solve this though. Linz does lack a western bypass, but maybe a 2x2 city road would be suffice. They better invest in the road to the Czech border.
The whole A26 is highly criticized by many experts. Their cost-benefit analysis showed that this project gains 0.6 on a scale, where it should reach at least 1.0 to be worthy being built. Furthermore new streets never solved traffic problems. They only create even more traffic and the money invested there could have given a boost to Linz' public transport.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1333
rower2000

Quote:
Thank you Rower, very helpful! Unfortunately my German is as bad as my Austrian, however Google translate seemed to do a good enough job! One of the bits I picked up on was that there is due to be an election prior to the start of this project - could that stop the A26 from being built? There is also an ambiguous translation with regard to the start/end date. It mentions that construction is until at least the 2nd half of 2014 - do they mean thats when construction will start or that it will be finished at that point?
This article says start of works in 2014.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1334
tayregoodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Aren't they the same language?
Apologies - this was my poor attempt at humour!
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1335
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
The whole A26 is highly criticized by many experts. Their cost-benefit analysis showed that this project gains 0.6 on a scale, where it should reach at least 1.0 to be worthy being built. Furthermore new streets never solved traffic problems. They only create even more traffic and the money invested there could have given a boost to Linz' public transport.
First you're talking about a cost-benefit ratio of 0.6 which is not enough, and then you suggest it would be better to invest in public transport, which often has a cost-benefit ratio between 0.05 and 0.25?
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1336
rower2000

Quote:
First you're talking about a cost-benefit ratio of 0.6 which is not enough, and then you suggest it would be better to invest in public transport, which often has a cost-benefit ratio between 0.05 and 0.25?
But not always. It always hammers me why for many road-boosters public transport is the bad enemy which should be done away with while the public transport freaks see roads as the source of all evil which should be demolished and never built again. The truth is that our modern society won't work without roads, but also not without public transport. Key is, having them both such that everyone can use the method of transport most suited to his needs. Within a dense agglomeration, public transport makes much more sense than building new roads. In a sparsely populated area in contrast, supply with public transport won't succeed. Also, for through traffic high-capacity roads need to be provided, because small gaps in the road network won't push anybody from the car into a train.

For instance, take a look at this file for travel planning in my region, between the Austrian and Swiss network, last page. There are public transport options with a cost-benefit-ratio of more than 4.00. There are also road options with such high cost-benefit ratios. But neither the public nor the road option will solve the problem, only a combination. In the Bregenz/Hard/Lauterach area most benefits will come from the public option whereas for reducing the congestion in the Lustenau/Fussach/Höchst area a new road is the more suitable option.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1337
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What many people fail to address is that public transport and road transport cater two different target audiences. Yes, there is some overlap, but not enough to argue a motorway is not necessary because there will be investment in public transport. Especially in Europe where public transport is already fairly extensive and frequent, the additional modal shift is extremely limited. For instance in the Rotterdam area, the investment of around € 1 billion in public transport instead of a motorway link would reduce road traffic by 0 - 1%.

This is even more evident in freight transport. For example they have the highest truck tolls in the world in Switzerland, which was introduced in 2001. They hoped freight traffic would shift to rail. However, in the last 20 years, there has been no more increase in rail-based tonnage km than could be called "autonomous growth" (10% in 20 years or only 0.5% per year on average). It is true truck traffic through Switzerland decreased somewhat after the implementation of the Schwerverkehrsabgabe, but no significant modal shift to rail has occurred. In the same time, trans-Alpine truck traffic through Austria increased over 30% between 2001 and 2004. Austria is simply getting trans-alpine truck traffic that otherwise would've driven through Switzerland.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #1338
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Public Transport with a cost-benefit ratio of 0.25?

Maybe if you build a Transrapid in the middle of a desert.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #1339
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Cost-benefit analyses are often wrong by 30-50%, says Wikipedia citing some peer-reviewed articles.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #1340
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Especially in Europe where public transport is already fairly extensive and frequent, the additional modal shift is extremely limited.
Well, this proves me that you have no clue what the situation north of Linz is like. Public transport simply does not exist there.

Tags
austria