daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #1561
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Also, Austria is in a process of changing its roadsigns. They are trying to make it more German style (just like they are doing in the Netherlands now) but somehow it's not really working, and still look just as twisted as it did before..... and confusing!
What are they changing? They only thing that I have seen so far is the use of the TERN typeface instead of the 1970s DIN Mittelschrift.

My problem with Austrian signage has never really been in the system, but in its execution. Complete lack of consistency, motorway signs that are simply too small and too full. You can actually create something very decent out of the existing Austrian standards if only there was a refocus on content. Enlarge the signs, use the German fontface (not only current DIN, but also increased spacing and larger size), un-cram the gantry signs and the white signs in the approach of an exit and be consistent.

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1562
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Then probably I'm missing something. Are you saying that on Austrian Brennerautobahn they are building new tunnels to avoid going to high altitudes? I don't see how this is possible without reconstructing the whole road. Besides, you HAVE to go to high altitudes because you have to reach Brennerpass...
I've just looked it up, the tunnel I was talking about is for railway traffic only...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenner_Base_Tunnel
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1563
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
What are they changing? They only thing that I have seen so far is the use of the TERN typeface instead of the 1970s DIN Mittelschrift.

My problem with Austrian signage has never really been in the system, but in its execution. Complete lack of consistency, motorway signs that are simply too small and too full. You can actually create something very decent out of the existing Austrian standards if only there was a refocus on content. Enlarge the signs, use the German fontface (not only current DIN, but also increased spacing and larger size), un-cram the gantry signs and the white signs in the approach of an exit and be consistent.
They are using German style script, but the letter are too far out, which gives it a whole new messy look. Arrows have improved. Instead of the long thin arrows, which took up half of the sign, they are now using the shorter ones, like they have in Germany....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1564
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Interesting. Would be great to see some pictures.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM   #1565
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Interesting. Would be great to see some pictures.
I'll make some next time I'm passing. They are already there on the A1 between Salzburg and Linz and on the A12 Inntall Autobahn near Worgl.

Also here in the Zillertal they are changing the local white signs. They are actually not all that bad, looks a bit more modern. After all we're not in Eastern Europe or Belgium, and we ought to know better
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1566
Road_UK
BANNED

Found some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralf_he...57603678544449

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralf_he...57603678544449
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1567
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here are some pictures taken by myself in Febrary this year on A1 Wien - Salzburg motorway showing the signage:

Sorry if some of the pictures are not very clear, but the weather was horrible most of the time.

Here are 2 videos showing almost all A1 motorway (from A21 to the German border):

I've just found 2 more picture taken in the other direction:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #1568
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, these are the old ones, they have changed them at around april. New signs start at or around Salzburg Airport exit.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1569
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Those newer signs posted use TERN, but the German typeface. I suspect that it is still "same old" Austrian signage rather than an attempt to renew. With the possible exception of the shorter arrows, wich I think are good, the differences compared to old appear due to inconsistency rather than renewal. But that's nothing new either: just spot the many differences between the gantry signs posted by bogdymol.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1570
bogdymol
bogdymod

On A1 the signs were quite fine from my point of view. The big problem is around Wien. Pictures of roadsigns while driving on A4 - A23 - A2 - A21 - A1:

On many signs there is are too many informations that you can't process fast enough while driving with high speed.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1571
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here are some pictures made around Wien during the return trip (route: A1 - A21 - S1 - A4)

I like how they wrote A2 and S1 on the noise barriers.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1572
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

I agree, there are too many information to process. I wonder why put Budapest: if the route to Budapest pass through Wien, then just put Wien and from there put the nearest big city (Bratislava, maybe)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1573
bogdymol
bogdymod

It seems that this evening I'm flooding this thread with pictures. On A13 near Innsbruck I noticed that there were many escape lanes for trucks:

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM   #1574
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Brennerautobahn has indeed quite steep slopes (more than my 1.4 diesel car likes). In Italian Brennerautobahn there are just 2 escape lanes, one near Vipiteno (which is quite useless, because by then the road is almost flat) and another one between Vipiteno and Colle Isarco, i think.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1575
bogdymol
bogdymod

Indeed, the slope is quite steep. 6%:

In the Romanian construction code the maximum alowed slope for a motorway is 4%.

I also had some problems with my tiny 1.5 diesel engine while going up on A13.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1576
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

I never had such problems with my 1.5 diesel. There are even some Autobahn sections with 7 - 8% grades in Germany.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1577
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

In Italy Autostrade have generally slopes less than 4%, even if few exceptions exist. From Vipiteno to Brennero maximum slope is 3.8%, while average between Bolzano and Brennero is 1.4%.
By Italian laws, speed limits for a 6% slope are less than 80 km/h...
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1578
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

great pics, bogdymol
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #1579
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
great pics, bogdymol
Thank you
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1580
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Is that it? Judging by the reputation of Austrian signage I was expecting it to be way worse than that.

Thanks bogdymol
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria