daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1761
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Because it is not an Autobahn, just a Schnellstraße.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1762
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

It's basically the same though. The Austrians and Czechs make it unnecessary complicated, instead of D3-A7 there will be D3-R3-S10-A7 between Praha and Linz....
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1763
bogdymol
bogdymod

Will it be a 2+2 grade separated expressway? (I mean, almost motorway standard), or just a regular 1+1 fast road?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

2x2 expressway with grade-separation
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1765
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

It will be a de-facto motorway on both sides of border. Still, de iure, both will be expressways. And there is a big possibility that the czech R3 will be built as half-profile motorway at first stage.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1766
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
2x2 expressway with grade-separation
With (narrow) hard shoulders?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1767
Ministerský rada

With hard shoulders, AFAIR 2,5 m wide (Kronenbreite 28,85 m).

EDIT: Here are some spring photos of construction site:
https://picasaweb.google.com/martiniczalbum/AT_S10#
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #1768
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Because it is not an Autobahn, just a Schnellstraße.
Like Chris said, its dispensibly complicated in Austria. Name me one good reason why S2 cant be called "A23" to the junction with S1 at "Angerner Strasse".
Or even better: I definately would cancel A11 and name it A10 all the way to SLO border, and instead "S-motorways" like S35 could be called A11...
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1769
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

They are expressways instead of motorways to fool NIMBYs. Great news, btw! When will they start building the rest of the S10 to the Czech border?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1770
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
Like Chris said, its dispensibly complicated in Austria. Name me one good reason why S2 cant be called "A23" to the junction with S1 at "Angerner Strasse".
Or even better: I definately would cancel A11 and name it A10 all the way to SLO border, and instead "S-motorways" like S35 could be called A11...
It all depends on law specs. In Italy for instance an autostrada must be larger than 25 m; the new Pedemontana Veneta will be 24.50m large, closer to the autostrada specs than those of superstrade (22 m). Nontheless, it will be a superstrada, not an autostrada.

And bear in mind that other factors matter: curvature radii, slopes...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1771
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
It all depends on law specs. In Italy for instance an autostrada must be larger than 25 m; the new Pedemontana Veneta will be 24.50m large, closer to the autostrada specs than those of superstrade (22 m). Nontheless, it will be a superstrada, not an autostrada.

That "problem" occurs in countries which has both motorway and expressway systems, so some corridors are built as motorways (with 130 km/h limit) while some are built as expressways (100 or 110 km/h), which can often be annoying to drive long distances on 100-110 km/h. In Croatia, for example, all high-class roads on long distances must be built as motorways. Expressways are built only as beltways of bigger cities or as connection of those cities to motorways. The only existing case of longer expressway (Zagreb-Vrbovec) will be upgraded to motorway standards (A12) and now is being prolonged to Bjelovar

Personally, I don't like that austrian, czech or italian parallel motorway-expressway system, because those expressways can be really different (single or double carriageway, poor or excellent exit ramps, very curvy or close to motorway standards...), so you don't know what to expect, or there can even be some expressway which has almost motorway standards, but has 100-110 km/h limit due to law regulations
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1772
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:

Personally I think all grade separated, physically divided, 2x2 roads should be called "A"-Roads. 2x1 roads or 2x2 with no separation between lanes -like S4- could remain S-roads.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1773
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

They should at least uniform the numbers: A12-S12-A12 instead of A14-S16-A12, and so on.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1774
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In Austria there are even some motorways having an S-sign, e.g. Semmering Shcnellstrasse (S6) is a fully classified motorway. Wiener Aussenring Schnellstrasse (S1) is a full motorway as well but has a speed limit of 100 (some sections 80).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #1775
Ministerský rada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They are expressways instead of motorways to fool NIMBYs. Great news, btw! When will they start building the rest of the S10 to the Czech border?
As soon as the Czechs are prepared to bulid R3, as I've heard It's all about the money now, all R3 sections have zoning decisions ...
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #1776
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Austria there are even some motorways having an S-sign, e.g. Semmering Shcnellstrasse (S6) is a fully classified motorway. Wiener Aussenring Schnellstrasse (S1) is a full motorway as well but has a speed limit of 100 (some sections 80).
S6 and S36 are signed in most maps as expressways but they have end\beginning motorway signs and 130 kph speed limit. What's the reason? Have they been upgraded later?
What about the extension of S36 between Judenburg and Klagenfurt? There are graffiti and posters everywhere along the national road against this motorway (NIMBY) and in a field they even planted hundred of crosses to say "the valley would die".
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #1777
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

For a complete confusion, A2 between Schaefern and Grimmenstein (Aspang area) looks like an expressway, is steep and curvy, and there is speed limit of 100 km/h.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #1778
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
S10 Unterweitersdorf - Freistadt

The construction of S10 between Unterweitersdorf to Freistadt in Oberösterreich began yesterday. It will connect Linz and the Austrian motorway network towards the Czech Republic. The S10 features a number of tunnels, out of which the 4.4 km long Tunnel Götschka is the longest. This is due to a steep valley gradient which needs to be tunneled through to keep road grades within acceptable standards. It is currently the largest new motorway project in all of Austria.
It's odd that officially works started just now. I was there about 1 year ago and there were some earth works on S10 and also some informing panels.
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1779
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

has somebody recently passed through Neumarkt tunnel? will they have much work to do there, or not? i remember passing through it when it was quite new, 2005 or something like that.
oh, and that area is actually full of nimbies. i remember a plenty of anti-nuke-paroles (Temelin) written beside the road all the way from Dolní Dvořiště to Linz.

(i wrote D. Dvořiště on purpose because i never knew that Austrian border is called Wullowitz - it is almost unknown to me, unlike D.D.)
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #1780
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I passed through that border crossing in 1996.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria