daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1801
Tauernautobahn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is Arlberg schnellstrasse 2x2 all the way except the tunnel itself? Is planned a second tube of the Arlbergtunnel? And Karavankentunnel? Are there plans to build motorways connecting Austria with CH and CZ?
No, S16 is partly 2+2, partly 2+1 and even partly 1+1
There are no plans for a second tube of Arlbergtunnel, as for Karawankentunnel noone knows if they're gonna build a rescue tube or a second one.

The connection A-CH is a sort of never ending story. There have been plans for an expressway but I think it was cancelled due to environmental problems. Don't know if there is still any serious plan for that connection.

There are quite some plans for connections to CZ, for example S10 (southern section already u/c), S3 expressway and A5 motorway (southern section already in operation), another section is going to be built soon (partly half-profile though).
In general they want to reach the border the same time as the Czechs do.
Tauernautobahn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1802
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauernautobahn View Post
No, S16 is partly 2+2, partly 2+1 and even partly 1+1
There are no plans for a second tube of Arlbergtunnel, as for Karawankentunnel noone knows if they're gonna build a rescue tube or a second one.
Afaik the Karawankentunnel will be fully doubled.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #1803
Tauernautobahn

Nothing is fixed now. In Austria only the state of carinthia wants a full second tube but not the federal government who should finance it so I highly doubt that we will see a second tube soon.
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1804
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

In this very complete website about tunnels they say:

Quote:
Il 9 Dicembre 2011 l'Austria e la Slovenia hanno firmato la lettera d'intesa per il raddoppiodel tunnel stradale di Karavanke (Karawanken in tedesco), accantonando così l'ipotesi caldeggiata dal governo Austriaco della costruzione del tunnel di emergenza parallelo
Quote:
On 9th December 2011 Austria and Slovenia signed the agreement for Karawankentunnel doubling, setting aside the initial Austrian idea about building only an emergency tunnel.
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1805
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Nothing is fixed now. In Austria only the state of carinthia wants a full second tube but not the federal government who should finance it so I highly doubt that we will see a second tube soon.
Why should the federal government finance anything? These roads are all tolled.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1806
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
By 2019 second tube must be reality. Will that be only rescue tube or full traffic tube it is not yet definite. Slovenia and Carinthia want new traffic tube, federal government just service tube because of low traffic. However believe that in ten years both Croatia and Serbia will join EU and Schengen and this will quite increase traffic.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #1807
Tauernautobahn

Well, I personally hope that they're gonna build a full second tube, too, just wanted to be realistic because the federal gov in the moment simply has no money left to build it.
Okay, not the federal government itself finances motorways and expressways but the ASFINAG, which is 100% federal-state-owned. The thing is: the ASFINAG has a billion debts unless there are tolls, so they don't want to build anything more as absolutely necessary. And the Karawankentunnel doesn't have a very big priority in their thinking.
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1808
Tauernautobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In this very complete website about tunnels they say:
I think they only mean the memorandum between Slovenia and Carinthia
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1809
keber

Quote:
And the Karawankentunnel doesn't have a very big priority in their thinking.
That is true, because it is not even mentioned on their website when describing safety upgrades of existing tunnels.
But nevertheless until 2019 this must be resolved so or so. Second tube MUST be built because of EU tunnel safety directive (2004/54/EC) it dependsCost difference is about 200 milion € and even this cost is divided between two countries. So ASFINAG will have to spent some money on Karawankentunnel in next 8 years, it is just the question will ASFINAG spent 100 or 200 million?

And if there is a lack of traffic, they should try lowering tolls outside holidays. I almost always take 1/2 hour longer route over Loiblpass just to avoid toll. If that toll would be for example 4 € instead of current 6,5 € then I doubt anyone would avoid the tunnel, especially outside holidays when daily traffic can be even under 1000 vehicles.
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1810
Tauernautobahn

You're right a lower toll or even no more toll and therefore rise the price of vignettes moderately would be much better.
I know they have to build at least a rescue tube but I just wanted to say that in the moment they'd rather pay 100 than 200 millions.
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #1811
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Is the Karawanken Tunnel operated and owned solely by Asfinag?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1812
Tauernautobahn

As for the Austrian part yes, but the Slovenian is owned and managed by DARS AFAIK
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1813
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
As for the Austrian part yes, but the Slovenian is owned and managed by DARS AFAIK
It seems to me that the Fuessen Grenztunnel is fully operated by the Germans, as it lacks the traditional Austrian lightning on the edges. But maintenance is carried out by an Austrian company in Reutte within and on either side of the tunnel.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1814
keber

Quote:
True, every half of the tunnel is owned and maintained by respective country. There is common management center for both sides however.
Old December 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #1815
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I hope they build the second tube soon though. maintenance is quite often going on, which makes up to 30 minutes waiting before tunnel. and then slow driving through... it's like what Tauern tunnel was about when it was still sigle tube, now passing is so much more fluid.
when I do Nova Gorica - Villach I always choose Italian A23 over Karavanke, it's more reliable.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1816
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I think they only mean the memorandum between Slovenia and Carinthia
You're possibly right, although I'm not sure I know the difference...
Old December 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1817
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
The connection A-CH is a sort of never ending story. There have been plans for an expressway but I think it was cancelled due to environmental problems. Don't know if there is still any serious plan for that connection.
A route corridor was defined now from Dornbirn Nord intersection on A14 via a 2 km tunnel stretch under the nature preserve to North of Lustenau, then continuing via a bridge over the Rhine, a cut and cover through Höchst and meeting the Swiss A1 at St. Margrethen intersection. If this route proves to be impossible to get authorized, as an alternative an Eastern bypass of Lustenau from the B204 in the Southeast of Lustenau along the town limits to the Rhine crossing and continuing on to Switzerland shall be pursued.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #1818
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You're possibly right, although I'm not sure I know the difference...
The difference is that it is needed to be decided from both state governments (not provincial) and both motorway companies.
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1819
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik

Likes (Received): 1

Because Carinthian provincial government can more or less just express their opinion, while Austrian federal govt as the owner of Asfinag has any say in the matter.
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1820
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
The difference is that it is needed to be decided from both state governments (not provincial) and both motorway companies.
Ah, I understand what you're meaning but I don't think this is the case. The document I posted talks about Slovenia and Austria, not Carinthia, so I think countries are involved here, not provinces.

Tags
austria