daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The A fell off the photo. It was Arabian Gulf, which would be wrong, because I think it should've been Persian Gulf.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #62
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but where did you find that map? In some places (the UAE for instance) it's not called the Persian Gulf but the Arabian Gulf. Just like Swedes call the Baltic Sea the Eastern Sea (Östersjön).
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #63
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I bought that map a while ago. I have a scanner now, see if I can make a better picture.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #64
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I really doubt if these kind of roadways with 7 or 8 lanes per direction are really a good solution. I think their actual practical capacity is not much more than 2x5 lanes. I'd rather see a local/express setup here, like 3+4+4+3. It's known that from more than 4 lanes per direction, the capacity per lane decreases when you add more lanes.

[IMG]http://i40.************/2a5k9dt.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM   #65
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

I love the Desert Interchange system. but that might be because I love roundabouts.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM   #66
davsot

Or Dubai could start focusing on TOD (Transit-Oriented Developement)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #67
davsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
clean roads, they look modern!!!
Lol, they look modern. DUH they are modern.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #68
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Are they still building all these high towers and superwide motorways, despite the crisis?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM   #69
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

The map in the picture is an old edition of the 'Rough Guide Map: Dubai & the United Arab Emirates'. The current one is 2006 (5th edition) and shows the Palms and World etc. It is perhaps the best map available. Another reasonable map is the 'Insight Travel Map: Oman & the UAE', but the country map is a little too small at a scale of 1:1500000.

The maps are not wrong, like Morsue says. Its called the Arabian Gulf by Arabs and Persian Gulf by Iranians and others, but I dont think its contentious. Whereas you'll make no friends in Korea if you refer to the 'East Sea' as the 'Sea of Japan'. Best to show both names I think.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I tried to make a pic, as promised.
[IMG]http://i11.************/4r8x6af.jpg[/IMG]
Green: Motorway
Red: Dual carriageway
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayan View Post
I think the map you posted is wrong considering the United Arab Emirates Borders the Persian Gulf and i Think your map says Rabian Gulf
Quote:
The A fell off the photo. It was Arabian Gulf, which would be wrong, because I think it should've been Persian Gulf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but where did you find that map? In some places (the UAE for instance) it's not called the Persian Gulf but the Arabian Gulf. Just like Swedes call the Baltic Sea the Eastern Sea (Östersjön).
Quote:
I bought that map a while ago. I have a scanner now, see if I can make a better picture.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #70
Skyprince
Asian boi

I think UAE and Oman have almost the same quality of highways, though UAE signages are much better. UAE should be 2.5X richer than Oman, but when I entered Oman from UAE I didn't spot any difference in wealth on both sides.

And wow finally I could see the roads on the Palm !!
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #71
marki
Moon Transit

If you refer to the quality of road surface etc, then Oman and UAE are similar. However the UAE motorway network is much more extensive (perhaps due to population/traffic etc). Oman has a single main motorway that runs along the coast and it has very few grade seperated intersections, but large and beautiful roundabouts instead (see some pictures in the Oman Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post30227246). I drove from the UAE to Muscat and these roundabouts are a real pain because you need to slow from 120km/h. Also, for example, the road from Sohar (in Oman) to Burami (or Al Ain) is just a two lane highway, as are the roads south of Muscat, and the road to Khasab from Diba is gravel!

Mark.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #72
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

its toll free highway?
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #73
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
If you refer to the quality of road surface etc, then Oman and UAE are similar. However the UAE motorway network is much more extensive (perhaps due to population/traffic etc). Oman has a single main motorway that runs along the coast and it has very few grade seperated intersections, but large and beautiful roundabouts instead (see some pictures in the Oman Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post30227246). I drove from the UAE to Muscat and these roundabouts are a real pain because you need to slow from 120km/h. Also, for example, the road from Sohar (in Oman) to Burami (or Al Ain) is just a two lane highway, as are the roads south of Muscat, and the road to Khasab from Diba is gravel!

Mark.
It is . UAE is more extensive due to population and traffic, but for me it's much enjoyable to drive around in Muscat ( wide highways but few cars ) than say, Dubai/Abu Dhabi ( wide highways but too many cars ) . Salalah is a swift. Hmm yup there are many roundabouts between Dubai and Muscat but it solves one big problem actually: Boredom while driving .

BTW, Omanis are slowly transforming those roundabouts into interchanges- just last year Muscat Seeb Airport was connected by roundabout to the main highway but this year the roundabout was abolished and replaced by interchange and overpass. Again, it's a matter of traffic.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #74
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
its toll free highway?
Highways in the UAE are toll free, except the E11 (Sheikd Zayed Road) close to Dubai. There you must have a vignette (See http://www.salik.ae) and you wil be charged about AED 5 (about 1 Euro) for each passage. The collection is automatic, there are no tollboots.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #75
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

What the hell?? For what do you need a 2x8 lane motorway in a country with a population of 4,6 million (density 65 ppl/km^2) and the biggest cities having 1,5 and 0,8 million habitants respectively?

I can not remember a 2x8 lane highway in hole Europe? Is it really nescessary to spoil that much ressources just for playing god in desert?
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #76
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Playing god at dessert is what you would be doing at the dining table. I'm not sure what this has to do with infrastructure building and relative traffic levels.

Don't forget that Sharjah also has a lot of inhabitants (800.000+) and a lot of those people commute to Dubai. When you include Ajman I guess the metropolitan area of Dubai has more than 2.5 million inhabitants.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #77
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2.5 million inhabitants but few fully grade-separated roads. Nearly all development takes place along the Zayed Road, while there's no other alternative than to take that road, which creates huge rushhour volumes. If hundreds of thousands of people go to work along mostly one corridor, you'll need quite a capacity even if the total metropolitan area is not very large.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #78
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Indeed, the E11 there is very crowded. De road is very wide there, but it still is not enough..
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #79
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
Playing god at dessert is what you would be doing at the dining table. I'm not sure what this has to do with infrastructure building and relative traffic levels.

Don't forget that Sharjah also has a lot of inhabitants (800.000+) and a lot of those people commute to Dubai. When you include Ajman I guess the metropolitan area of Dubai has more than 2.5 million inhabitants.
In rushhour: Sjarjah to Dubai, it's normal to travel 2 hours
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #80
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
In rushhour: Sjarjah to Dubai, it's normal to travel 2 hours
It sure takes a while on the E11, however I found an alternative and more scenic route along the Al Mamzar Lagoon area:

Mark.