daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM   #101
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
You are not correct. Roadnumbers , especially on the highways are put on almost every sign.
Fair enough
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM   #102
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Bump.

Here are some pics of Dubai highways I found on flickr.

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/...173a15f2_o.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/...3f85198f_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/4...0e1004ef_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/...91efc63a_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/...71dfc5fd_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/...37f8bc58_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/...5a4a4fab_b.jpg

Sorry if some of these pics were posted before!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM   #103
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Hey what's going on with the Hatta/Bypass road interchange in the last pic?
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #104
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Persian Gulf Rules!!
By the way UAE doesn't have high density population, what's the use of these freeways?
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Actually population is distributed very unevenly in the UAE. The most places where people do live are quite densely populated.

On the other hand, these massive 12 - 14 lane highways are show-off projects. I'm sure most of them could do with 8 lanes as well. No self-respecting traffic engineer would connect two 12 lane highways with just a simple cloverleaf even without C/D lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #106
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Also, it's surprising that the 2x5 highway through the city seems to have no shoulders.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #107
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

What is the use of this insane road? Is it connecting two cities of 10 million each? Counting the vehicles on it and transfering this road to Germany this road would be a 2x1 state highway.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #108
BampaOwl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
I don't like that Intersection. It affects your driving especially with a 160 km/hr speed limit. Is Dubai-Abu Dhabi a Freeway or just a Main Highway with combined freeway intersection and this type of intersection?
On the main E11 highway from downtown Dubai to Abu Dhabi there are no roundabouts. That aerial pic may be on Emirates Road E311, which parallels the more-heavily used E11 coast road (Sheikh Zayed Road) in Dubai - some intersections on E311 are not yet complete. They will all get flyovers in due course.

And the Dubai - Abu Dhabi road, if I recollect correctly, does NOT have street lights throughout (and NB that pictured intersection does not have them). I will check it out next week! But it seems that some newer highways like Dubai - Fujairah are getting them.

Does anyone know the UAE speed limit for buses?
BampaOwl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #109
emerald-roads

I'm curious about the road numbers of the UAE's roads, as I've checked many places on the internet, maps etc and only the main ones are numbered.

Like for example, the E routes, there doesn't seem to be any specific numbering system applied to them except that the main ones appear to be numbers with the same digits eg. 11, 22, 44, 66, etc

I guess the 311 and 611 are numbered as such being direct bypasses of the 11.

And what about the individual Emirates' numbering systems? Google seems to have the Dubai network covered pretty well but absolutely no info on Abu Dhabi's or Sharjah's...

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide a link to either a site or a physical map I could buy that would help me get my head round all this!
emerald-roads no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #110
BampaOwl

Dubai and Sharjah both number their main non-E roads, some of which are pretty major - Sharjah's S116 links across to Kalba on the east Coast, but is not an E road because (I believe) the Federal Govt did not pay for it. (read all about the road on http://www.halcrow.com/Our-projects/...-Road-Sharjah/)

Dubai's road numbers start with a D. Abu Dhabi, surprisingly, does not number its roads.

D and S roads can be found in the Explorer UAE Road Atlas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald-roads View Post
I'm curious about the road numbers of the UAE's roads, as I've checked many places on the internet, maps etc and only the main ones are numbered.

Like for example, the E routes, there doesn't seem to be any specific numbering system applied to them except that the main ones appear to be numbers with the same digits eg. 11, 22, 44, 66, etc

I guess the 311 and 611 are numbered as such being direct bypasses of the 11.

And what about the individual Emirates' numbering systems? Google seems to have the Dubai network covered pretty well but absolutely no info on Abu Dhabi's or Sharjah's...

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide a link to either a site or a physical map I could buy that would help me get my head round all this!
BampaOwl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #111
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BampaOwl View Post
On the main E11 highway from downtown Dubai to Abu Dhabi there are no roundabouts. That aerial pic may be on Emirates Road E311, which parallels the more-heavily used E11 coast road (Sheikh Zayed Road) in Dubai - some intersections on E311 are not yet complete. They will all get flyovers in due course.

And the Dubai - Abu Dhabi road, if I recollect correctly, does NOT have street lights throughout (and NB that pictured intersection does not have them). I will check it out next week! But it seems that some newer highways like Dubai - Fujairah are getting them.

Does anyone know the UAE speed limit for buses?
I think it's the E611, isn't it? Looks too far out of the centre to be the 311 in my opinion, in which case the road crossing it may well be something like the E88. As for the lack of C/D lanes, I've noticed most of the cloverleafs in the UAE do indeed have them, it seems this one doesn't however. I'll admit though that all those lanes are a slight overkill, but with all the population concentrated around Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, etc, and the poor design of the E311 through Sharjah which is only now being properly rectified, the necessity of the E611 is quite real, especially for through traffic from Abu Dhabi. At least while the road still exists in the desert, they have room for the big interchanges like this, as that's the problem with the E11 and to a lesser extent the E311 as the development has sprung up around it and really restricted the room available to upgrade the routes properly.

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #112
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by BampaOwl View Post
Dubai and Sharjah both number their main non-E roads, some of which are pretty major - Sharjah's S116 links across to Kalba on the east Coast, but is not an E road because (I believe) the Federal Govt did not pay for it.
If we are talking about ths same road: This one is numbered as E102 (see picture:

Dubai's road numbers start with a D. Abu Dhabi, surprisingly, does not number its roads.
D and S roads can be found in the Explorer UAE Road Atlas.[/QUOTE]
Al-Fujairah also numbers its roads (F-roads)
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #113
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
If we are talking about ths same road: This one is numbered as E102 (see picture:
Yeah I thought the same, OSM has it mapped as the E102 though at the moment the state of mapping there is in no fit state to be trusted to be honest which is a shame really. Would love to get over there and get a GPS unit and get the place sorted!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

Old October 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #114
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Few recent bits of news to resurrect this thread!

First off is the opening of the Yas Tunnel, a six lane 1.1km project.
More info here.

Second is the announcement that the Sheikh Zayed Bridge will be completed by the end of the year.
More info again, here.

And finally, the announcement that Abu Dhabi will soon have the Middle East's longest tunnel as the Al Salam tunnel nears completion, at 3km long, costing approximately $1.3 billion USD.
More info here.

Apologies for the lack of pictures, if anyone can find any stick them up asap!

Old February 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #115
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244298

That intersection over here is near Dubai? 7 lanes in each direction... just great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/...5a4a4fab_b.jpg

Sorry if some of these pics were posted before!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #116
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

It is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...3,0.01929&z=16

The interchange design is ridiculous. It's more about quantity than about quality, heck even with 4 lanes cloverleafs without C/D lanes are already malfunctioning, not to mention 12 lanes. The interchange is either horribly designed or the whole motorway is severely oversized (I suspect the last option).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #117
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244298

Thanks for the link. The unfinished section goes directly to the city-center of Dubai right?
And that section looks quite large to me, i guessing that it will have at least 5 lanes in each direction.
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #118
bestvue

Just found the thread and thought I would share this photo of a remote road. Location is near Moreb Dune ( the highest dune in the uae) Pic located at N 22° 58.983 E 053° 46.714
Regards

bestvue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #119
bestvue

Another Pic

Here's another remote pic. No U turns
Can anybody advise me how to upload the pics directly from the Computer or do all have to be uploaded to another site.
Thanks

bestvue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #120
Dubaiiscool:)

You have to upload it to a website like Tinypic or Imageshack first and then copy the url.

Anyway this is my favourit interchange in the UAE:

Arabian Ranches Interchange:

Google Maps Link:
http://maps.google.ae/maps?hl=en&ie=...01929&t=h&z=16