daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa / St Petersburg

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM   #41
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 18

I have lately been occasionally seeing people walking to and from DT to the Hyatt and Ritz, something I never saw 5 years ago. A pedestrian bridge would be alot better then the traffic calming and roundabouts they want on 41.

Sponsored Links

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM   #42
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 2

ped bridge wouldn't hurt. It wasn't a problem walking to me though.

One thing I can say for sure.....Sarasota sure is headed in the right direction. Great city with tons going for it. Oh, the natural beauty is a bonus! Definitely some of my favorite beaches in Florida.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM   #43
smiley

Likes (Received): 51

They will build a skybridge only if it is 40 feet wide and 10 feet tall with high tolls at both ends and is beige with red tile on the sides.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:26 AM   #44
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 296

lolol.... I love looking at the ridiculous skybridge going to the TCC from the Embassy Suites, and thinking about the interminable debate the city had about the look and the merits of the skybridge...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:23 AM   #45
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 2

I remember the big deal about the ART value...right?

I drive through there at least once a week...Today I drove onto HI from Platt/Franklin and don't even remember looking up to see the sky bridge...
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM   #46
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 1

Well, I've seen it countless times, as I live in the neighborhood and like to bike around there as well. It's not the ugliest thing that I've ever seen, but it's certainly not what I would consider "public art."

It just shouldn't have been built in the first place, IMO. I have NEVER seen a single person using it, and as I've said, I go by there at least a couple times a day. A complete waste of money.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM   #47
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 129

I think it would've helped if it was atleast covered, so people using it don't fry or get soaked if it is raining.

But yea it is one of the cheapest looking skybridges I have ever seen, which is a shame because skybridges are good concepts in urban areas if used correctly.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM   #48
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Agreed, FF. Why am I not surprised that they didn't even bother to cover it. Everything done on the cheap...

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #49
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 19

I was speaking in terms of urban activity. The Ritz doesn't create contribute to a truly urban environment like most projects of similar scale because it is upscale and walled off. It's a fact. That doesn't mean it doesn't do anything for DT aesthetically or financially; it's a huge draw and the feather in Sarasota's cap, in my opinion. It elevates an environment in terms of who frequents businesses, but it doesn't offer that urban interaction like most projects do - that's all I was saying.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM   #50
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 18

True, but all of those missing Urban links will be filled with Sarasota Bayside, Pineapple Square, and The Proscenium.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM   #51
Maxim98

^Oh, it's no fault of Sarasota... it's an asset. I just doubt it'll make much different on Rocky Point in Tampa. That area is, and will remain, a car culture.... but then again, I doubt any project could elevate that area of Tampa like Ritz Carlton will. I'm extremely excited.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM   #52
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 41

Car culture? It's the Ritz Carlton, the epitome of car culture. You could put it in the middle of side walks, bike paths, train stations and a segway depot and people will still drive or be driven to and from. Unless there is a private runway.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM   #53
Maxim98

Exactly... which is why I confessed that it doesn't really matter.
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #54
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 129

Ritz-Carlton To Rise In Tampa

By ELLEN GEDALIUS, The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 28, 2007

TAMPA - For years, city and tourism officials have lamented that the Ritz-Carlton's flag hasn't flown over Tampa.

Now they are celebrating the news that plans are on track for the city to land its first Ritz hotel as soon as 2011.

Ritz-Carlton officials intend to announce Friday their plans to open a 269-room hotel on the Courtney Campbell Parkway at Rocky Point Drive. The project also will include 176 luxury residential units, retail space and a marina, according to information from the hotel chain.

Developers hope it becomes the area's first five-star hotel, and tourism leaders hope a high-class hotel attracts more events, conventions and visitors to the Tampa Bay area.

"We've lacked five-star hotel rooms," said Mark Huey, Tampa's economic development administrator. "It will give us a tool we haven't had in the past to compete for events."

Word started leaking in May that the Ritz was looking at the area, but no deal had been struck. Tuesday's release confirms the hotel company intends to make its mark on Tampa.

Huey said the hotel chain has scoured parts of the city, including downtown and the West Shore area, during the past few years for a location but never sealed a deal.

The Tampa Ritz will be the 10th Ritz-Carlton in Florida. The project will be developed by Clearwater-based Orion Communities and R.L. Pearson & Associates.

The hotel portion of the project will feature a 15,000-square-foot spa and wellness center, boutique shops, retail space, swimming pools and restaurants. A marina will include boat slips for hotel guests and residents.

John Grandoff, an attorney working on the project, said he is discussing marina details with the Port Authority. He said he expects the marina to be permitted by mid-2008.

The hotel also will include 30,000 square feet of event space, including a 12,000-square-foot ballroom.

Atop seven floors of hotel rooms will be 44 residential units. An adjacent 19-story second tower will include 132 residential units. The average floor plan is 2,800 square feet.

Pricing information was unavailable late Tuesday. A sales office is scheduled to open on Rocky Point Drive early next year.

The Radisson Bay Harbor hotel will be torn down to make room for the development.

Steve Hayes, executive vice president of Tampa Bay & Company, the area's convention and visitors bureau, said the Ritz will be a welcome addition to an area seeing substantial hotel development.

A Westin Hotel is under construction in Rocky Point, at least three hotels are planned for the West Shore area and an Embassy Suites plans to open soon in Brandon, Hayes said. Currently, 20,500 hotel rooms exist countywide.

Louis Miller, head of Tampa International Airport, said having a high-end hotel could help the city land big events. The Super Bowl will be played in Tampa in 2009; a Ritz could help the city secure future games, Miller predicted.

"You're seeing more and more hotels in the West Shore district," Miller said. "It's a convenient place to be. You're seeing a resurgence of the high-end hotel rooms."

Reporter Ellen Gedalius can be reached at (813) 259-7679 or egedalius@tampatrib.com.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov...pa/?news-metro
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #55
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 323

Great news, but the year 2011 is another 3-4 yrs. from now!!!
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #56
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 81

Can't wait! They are fun to go to just to have dinner or tea in the afternoon. This will be great for Tampa.

Steve
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #57
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

2011???
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #58
tampasteve

2011 is not that far away, it is only a month over 3 years. I am sure that part of the reason is to wait for the housing market to start to turn, they are trying to sell 44 luxury units in the hotel tower and then 132 more in the adjacent building. Add that to the time to demolish the Radisson, build a marina, one 7-9 story hotel/residential tower, one 19 story residential tower....and I doubt they would open the hotel and have major constructinon going on next door for the residential tower, and now I can see the three year time frame. This seems to be a pretty major project, IMHO.

Steve
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #59
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 296

I'm pretty sure that the hotel/condo tower will also be like 15-16 floors. A floor or two for the lobby, spa and meeting rooms...7 floors for the hotel... 6-7 floors for the condo units.

Sounds like the Radisson will come down after the snowbirds are gone next year.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #60
tampasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I'm pretty sure that the hotel/condo tower will also be like 15-16 floors. A floor or two for the lobby, spa and meeting rooms...7 floors for the hotel... 6-7 floors for the condo units.
Even better!

Steve