daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #61
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6532

fantastic, finally it is approved . can a mod change the title?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #62
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_239/editorial.html
Volume 20, Number 30 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | December 7 - 13, 2007

Affordable housing lessons at 50 West

The deal to create a new Lower Manhattan affordable housing fund of nearly $7 million, announced two weeks ago, is most welcome news. It is an uphill battle to preserve, let alone build, below market apartments anywhere in Manhattan so every little bit helps. The fund, which came out of negotiations on the condo and hotel to be built at 50 West, has the potential to grow if the city presses Downtown developers to kick in more when public land is involved or when developers are asking for special benefits.“The constant haggling for repairs, having a hostile relationship with your landlord — as a rent-regulated tenant, this becomes your lifestyle,” she said.

When families get displaced because of rising rents, their loss and struggle is clear, particularly Downtown where many lived through the hardship of 9/11 and its aftermath only to be forced out when things began to get better. But Lower Manhattan will also lose something very important if it becomes a place only for celebrities and the well-to-do. It is not easy to build affordable housing on some of the world’s most valuable real estate, but when possible, it should be done, and every effort must be made to preserve affordable apartments, because that is much more cost effective than building new ones.

The 50 West deal was negotiated by Councilmember Alan Gerson, who got more out of Time Equities, the developer, and the city than could have been expected, especially since he didn’t insist on tying affordable housing money to the project at first. Borough President Scott Stringer’s strong no vote probably raised people’s eyebrows and got the city’s attention.

The Bloomberg administration has made commendable progress on affordable housing across the city, but the city originally saw 50 West as a benefit in itself because it would result in important pedestrian improvements in the area and was not willing to include any affordable housing money. The city has now agreed to put in nearly $2 million into the fund and Time will contribute $5 million, in order to complete the purchase of city-owned air rights needed to build the $600-million project.

These are tough battles that will have to be fought again and again, and we think the lesson learned at 50 West is that politicians and community leaders must be willing to take tough stands that will not make them popular behind the closed doors where the powers-that-be meet. But behind the doors where people struggle to pay the rent, that is precisely what is needed.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:28 AM   #63
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I forgot the latest news about this baby, but it's all green and I think it's u/c or will be soon. I forgot the exact height but think it was a tad over 700'.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #64
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

2 weeks ago by scruffy, SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
i never realized how skinny this tower is going to be

this is the entire site as of 2 weeks ago. hardly seems like there is enough room for a 700 footer. keep in mind they are also including a small pedestrian plaza

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #65
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

Love it, great building for a great city in a great location.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #66
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28333

It is a small building site for a 200m+ building.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #67
GENGIBRE12
MADONNA

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Found a picture of the model:

[IMG]http://i22.************/2edb87p.jpg[/IMG]

(I'm getting red x's on the first page so I don't know if it was posted before.)
this project is really nice and the render are really good
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #68
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

can a mod please add 213m to the title?
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #69
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Today by Scruffy, SSP:

Old June 11th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #70
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

ZZ-II

thank you for all the updates, in all the threads.I had forgotten that many of these buildings even existed....
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #71
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

ZZ-II, it's best to PM the Mods to change the title, probably best to PM Cul or WJfox as there are way more projects to look out for here than in the Supertalls section.
Myster E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #72
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

Some guy created a thread for this one in the supertall section (and got it locked, ofcourse) but it had this rendering:

Anyone know if they are done with the prep work yet and on to foundation perhaps?
CMack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #73
fish

Likes (Received):

Yes, I remember that render! Glad to find it here in Highrises.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #74
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

@Cmack: as far as i know they're still prepairing the site
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #75
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Is this approved then? I read back that it was.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #76
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

yes, it is approved
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #77
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

This building is officially UC (already in june). A moderator please take care of changing the title.

Other interesting renders can be found on jetsongreen.com

source: http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...anic-breakfast

Developer Breaks Ground On Green Hotel, Eats Organic Breakfast
BY DANA RUBINSTEIN | JUNE 27, 2008 | TAGS: REAL ESTATETIME EQUITIES

Quinn and Company.
Rendering of 50 West Street.
Developers broke ground on the silver-skinned, 65-story tower planned for 50 West Street in Lower Manhattan.
On June 23, New York-based developer Time Equities Inc. marked the occasion with, appropriately enough, an organic breakfast from the local bakery Financier.
Not only was the breakfast-cum-groundbreaking religiously eco-friendly, but it was also religious.
According to the release, "Vicar Anne Mallonee, The Reverand Mark Bozzuti-Jones and Rabbi Schmaya Katz blessed the site and spoke of hospitality, unity and sustainability as they welcomed their new neighbor."
It's all in keeping with the firm's meticulous political correctness. The developers are anticipating that the residential and hotel building will get LEED-gold certification thanks to the incorporation of technologies like a green roof, water-efficient plumbing, automated blinds, and sustainable construction materials.
Read the full release below:

Groundbreaking of Skyline-Changing Tower Downtown
New York-based developer Time Equities, Inc. hosted a groundbreaking event on June 23 to celebrate Lower Manhattan’s iconic hotel and residential skyscraper, 50 West Street. Over 100 guests, including politicians, community officials and project partners, joined Time Equities to break ground on the site of the 65-story tower and enjoy organic breakfast catered by local bakery Financier.
With a soaring 20-foot banner of 50 West Street in the background, honored guests Seth Pinsky, president, Economic Development Corporation and Alan Gerson, Councilmember, joined Francis Greenburger, CEO and Chairman, Time Equities, on stage to speak about the importance of this extraordinary addition to Lower Manhattan. Vicar Anne Mallonee, The Reverand Mark Bozzuti-Jones and Rabbi Schmaya Katz blessed the site and spoke of hospitality, unity and sustainability as they welcomed their new neighbor.

This green residence and boutique hotel, which anticipates LEED-Gold certification when completed, will include sustainable technologies, such as a green roof, water-efficient plumbing fixtures, automated blinds and energy control systems. Demolition waste will be recycled, and the new construction materials will be sustainable and rapidly renewable. Both hotel and residences will feature an energy efficient glass facade to promote use of daylighting and filter UV rays.

The 50 West Street project is expected to create 740 construction jobs and 175 permanent jobs. As a fantastic example of public-private partnership, Time Equities will donate $4.6 million to the Department of Housing Preservation and Development’s affordable housing preservation fund, $350,000 to the NYC Board of Education for a Lower East Side Space Sciences Center and $430,000 to local P.S./I.S. 89 for a computer science program including computers for a new computer lab.
Designed by world-renowned architect Helmut Jahn, the $600 million, 580,000-square-foot mixed-use tower will be completed in 2011. The project will provide a critical pedestrian passageway that links the southern part of Battery Park City to Wall Street, Rector Street’s booming retail corridor, and Downtown transportation hubs. 50 West Street will contain 280 residential units and 155 hotel and retail units. The architect of record is New York City-based Gruzen Sampton.
About Time Equities:

Privately-held Time Equities Inc. (TEI), founded in 1966, has been in the real estate investment, development and asset & property management business for more than 40 years. With properties in 26 states, four Canadian provinces and Germany, the TEI portfolio consists of approximately 20.4 million square feet of residential, industrial, office and retail property.

Designed by world-renowned architect Helmut Jahn, the $600 million, 580,000-square-foot mixed-use tower will be completed in 2011. The project will provide a critical pedestrian passageway that links the southern part of Battery Park City to Wall Street, Rector Street’s booming retail corridor, and Downtown transportation hubs. 50 West Street will contain 280 residential units and 155 hotel and retail units. The architect of record is New York City-based Gruzen Sampton.
About Time Equities:

Privately-held Time Equities Inc. (TEI), founded in 1966, has been in the real estate investment, development and asset & property management business for more than 40 years. With properties in 26 states, four Canadian provinces and Germany, the TEI portfolio consists of approximately 20.4 million square feet of residential, industrial, office and retail property.

Last edited by romanamerican; August 17th, 2008 at 04:08 PM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #78
MDguy

Awesome news. The Tower looks great and will look amazing in that area. New York is the master of skyscraper diversity - just look at the all the towers in the above rendering
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #79
Infrarojo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

10 points good for NY
Infrarojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #80
LAYZIEDOGG
Los Santos

Likes (Received): 33

NY is doing a great job, building all those slim towers. They already have enough fat boxes around. This one is really great.
LAYZIEDOGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 west st., lower manhattan, new york, nyc