daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #2021
Short

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Do you have a map of this alignment?
From the Japan Bullet website, there is this basic outline. It is just a crude proposal rather than a defined route in Red dots. There is an intention that this could better serve the Kansai region and possibly extend to Kansai Airport, put forward by a local politician.

Japan Bullet article announcing the selection of the Obama route

saintm liked this post
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #2022
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I still wished JR West was able to route the section of the Hokuriku Shinkansen line from Tsuruga to Kyoto closely paralleling the current JR West Kosei Line. There's more potential passenger traffic this way and frankly, how much ridership will we have between Tsuruga and Obama?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #2023
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

The Kosei line is already serving that segment reasonably well, and this route gives Obama and the towns west of it better access to Kyoto and Osaka.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM   #2024
sacto7654

I really wonder when will JR East announce the final retirement of the E4 Shinkansen fleet, since it appears they're only running them on the Toki and Tanigawa trains on the Jōetsu Shinkansen line.
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:18 PM   #2025
saintm
Beautiful User

Likes (Received): 1984

Would anyone here know if it will use the existing HSR tracks between Kyoto and Shin Osaka?
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM   #2026
00Zy99

The Hokuriku Shinkansen may use the existing alignment, but there is no way in hell that it will share actual tracks with the Tokaido trains. The Tokaido is just far too busy to allow any sort of cooperation. Every Hokuriku train would be one less Tokaido train, and there is too much demand on the Tokaido line to allow that.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:55 AM   #2027
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Wouldn't there be enough slots on Tokaido in that segment once Chuo is finished?
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:23 AM   #2028
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
Wouldn't there be enough slots on Tokaido in that segment once Chuo is finished?
The Tokaido Shinkansen is pretty much a de facto commuter line - I would think they want extra Hikari and Kodama trains in the freed-up slots.

Besides, we're talking 2038, it's still a long way off...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2029
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
The Tokaido Shinkansen is pretty much a de facto commuter line - I would think they want extra Hikari and Kodama trains in the freed-up slots.
Some Kodamas run just Tokyo-Nagoya, though - the Nagoya-Osaka section seems less loaded.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:01 PM   #2030
00Zy99

A) Less crowded is relative.

B) There are probably going to be Nagoya-Osaka Kodamas running soon enough, if not already.

C) That capacity will fill out by the time the Chuo is complete.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:40 PM   #2031
sacto7654

According to Wikipedia, the most common Kodama runs are Tokyo-Nagoya, trains starting at either Shizuoka/Hamamatsu/Nagoya west to Shin-Osaka, Shin-Osaka to Okayama/Hiroshima and Hakata-Kokura (though I'm sure there are Hakata to as far east as Okayama). There are Tokyo to Shin-Osaka and Shina-Osaka to Hakata Kodama services, but those are not that common.
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2032
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

The Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Fukui will have the first combined high-speed train and highway bridge in Japan 5km NE Fukui Station. It will be just a bridge of 1.5 kilometers of new track where the train will circulate between the two lanes of a motorway.

This is now under construction if you check on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/PTs1V1gDxmG2

https://trafficnews.jp/post/63568/

stingstingsting, Munwon, Jobber, saintm liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:55 PM   #2033
sacto7654

I'm actually surprised that JR West didn't say they would open the line from Kanazawa to Fukui first, then from Fukui to Tsuruga.
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:34 PM   #2034
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

I wonder if they'll consider terminating the line at Tennoji. If they're already intersecting the Tokaido Line at Kyoto, I don't see a pressing need to follow the line to Shin-Osaka.

The Chuo Shinkansen will approach Osaka from Nara, so you could combine Hokuriku and Chuo there. The only negative would be transfers from the Tokaido to the Chuo from further West... it's a 15 minute ride from Shin-Osaka to Tennoji. But hey, if you're going from 150 minutes to 67 minutes... a 15-20 minute transfer would still save at least 1 hour.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:03 AM   #2035
Short

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
I wonder if they'll consider terminating the line at Tennoji. If they're already intersecting the Tokaido Line at Kyoto, I don't see a pressing need to follow the line to Shin-Osaka.

The Chuo Shinkansen will approach Osaka from Nara, so you could combine Hokuriku and Chuo there. The only negative would be transfers from the Tokaido to the Chuo from further West... it's a 15 minute ride from Shin-Osaka to Tennoji. But hey, if you're going from 150 minutes to 67 minutes... a 15-20 minute transfer would still save at least 1 hour.
The issue here is capacity. Not only are the tracks congested with trains, requiring a duplication, there are not enough seats on the existing trains to handle passengers transferring from other lines. This is also combined with the stations capacity to handle transferring passengers too.
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM   #2036
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short View Post
The issue here is capacity. Not only are the tracks congested with trains, requiring a duplication, there are not enough seats on the existing trains to handle passengers transferring from other lines. This is also combined with the stations capacity to handle transferring passengers too.
They won't require the capacity once the Chuo Shinkansen reaches Osaka since most travelers from Tokyo,Nagoya to Osaka will divert to the Chuo leaving the Tokaido Shinkansen empty.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 03:56 PM   #2037
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
They won't require the capacity once the Chuo Shinkansen reaches Osaka since most travelers from Tokyo,Nagoya to Osaka will divert to the Chuo leaving the Tokaido Shinkansen empty.
If you're willing to wait until 2045 that is. But up till that time, the "regular" Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Osaka will still be very busy, since passengers don't want to go through the hassle of changing trains at Nagoya.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:47 AM   #2038
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
If you're willing to wait until 2045 that is. But up till that time, the "regular" Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Osaka will still be very busy, since passengers don't want to go through the hassle of changing trains at Nagoya.
So? The Obama - Kyoto route construction is not due to finish till 2046.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM   #2039
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1033

I've always been surprised that they don't run (more?) double-deck trains along what is probably the world's single busiest rail route. I don't know if it's a loading gauge issue on the Tokaido Shinkansen, station compatibility challenges, or whatever, but it seems like making trains which carry more people is--potentially-an easy solution to capacity issues.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM   #2040
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I've always been surprised that they don't run (more?) double-deck trains along what is probably the world's single busiest rail route. I don't know if it's a loading gauge issue on the Tokaido Shinkansen, station compatibility challenges, or whatever, but it seems like making trains which carry more people is--potentially-an easy solution to capacity issues.
They used to but found that double deckers takes more time for people to get on and off meaning longer idle time. It also requires more open area for steps and impractical for vendor carts.

aquaticko liked this post