daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM   #201
perdurabo
Silesian InExile

Likes (Received): 4754

I agree on usefullnes of checklists as mesure of safety!
I learn japanese but i'm allways amazed how difrent work ethics we Europeans and Asians(espetially Japanese) have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Precisely, it's also done by flight crews on airplanes (pre-flight checks- confirmations done by voice). Why shouldn't drivers of trains do the same?- after all they are responsible for the safety of similar numbers of passengers as pilots of commercial airliners are.
i agree that checklists would add mutch to safety in trains(not to mention punctuality, witch in our trains is just horrid), but pilots have usually higher degree, here they are engeeners with masters degree, while train crew is usually just after some low level technical high school, so their culture and even knowledge is on difrent level, so i just can't imagine those lazy b*tards behaving like airliner crew or japan bulet train crew, call it culture shock, i'm just amazed.
perdurabo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM   #202
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
i agree that checklists would add mutch to safety in trains(not to mention punctuality, witch in our trains is just horrid), but pilots have usually higher degree, here they are engeeners with masters degree, while train crew is usually just after some low level technical high school, so their culture and even knowledge is on difrent level, so i just can't imagine those lazy b*tards behaving like airliner crew or japan bulet train crew, call it culture shock, i'm just amazed.
Degree of education does not matter, devotion and seriousness to their occupation does.
I think the word here is professionalism and may even be craftsmanship thriving to become perfect at one's job.
Not all have this in them but never the less they are trained to do so.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM   #203
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2785

When will Japan finally put the test maglev's into real action for the public? I didn't find any info about that on wikipedia. Shinkansen's have a really great design..
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #204
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes View Post
When will Japan finally put the test maglev's into real action for the public? I didn't find any info about that on wikipedia. Shinkansen's have a really great design..
Projected opening is 2025. Listed under Chuo Shinkansen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%AB%C5%8D_Shinkansen
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #205
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63118

Some E5 pictures.

Interior

Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #206
ETR401
Ghost In The Machine

Likes (Received): 8

Impressive.....

Some other pictures here: http://e954e955.bg.cat-v.ne.jp/article/515578.html

And something every railway enthusiast should check...... http://www.japaneserailwaysociety.co...an/tetchan.htm

Credits (and thanks) to original posters.
ETR401 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #207
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

that velour upholstery is so awful
but the train is nice
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #208
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

The interior does indeed look outdated, but that's a common feature on Japanese trains, plain plain plain. With the JRs it's really only the Kyushu Railway Company that really makes something special out of the interiors, just look at their 800 series Shinkansen "Tsubame". Here are some pictures of the 2nd generation that recently entered service ahead of the opening of the gap in the line between Fukuoka and Shin-Yatsushiro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
九州旅客鉄道(JR九州)はこのほど、九州新幹線用の新型車両「800系 U-007編成」を完成したと発表した。新型「800系」は、走行性能は従来車両と同一ながら、外観を一部変更し、内装をグレードアップさせているという。

外観の特長はヘッドライトのカバーが凸型に膨らみ、車体から盛り上がったような造形になっている。これは鉄道車両としては世界で初めて採用されたデザインとのこと。また、先頭車両にはつばめマークの象嵌(はめこみ)が施された。白い車体のアクセントとなる赤い帯は、つばめの飛行をイメージした曲線や宙返りラインとなっている。

内装は従来車と同様、「鹿児島産の樟の壁」や「宮崎産山の桜の木」、「八代産のい草を使った縄のれん」を使って和をイメージしている。さらに新型では妻壁に金箔を使用し、額縁を設けて木彫り・蒔絵・彫金や博多織を飾っている。座席は座面を深く、リクライニング角度を大きく、背ずりを低く改良された。また、シート地は車両ごとに異なり、赤系の市松柄、ワインレッドの本革、カーマイン無地、アイビー柄ゴブラン織、オレンジ系ツイード、アイビー柄西陣織を採用したという。

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #209
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Precisely, it's also done by flight crews on airplanes (pre-flight checks- confirmations done by voice). Why shouldn't drivers of trains do the same?- after all they are responsible for the safety of similar numbers of passengers as pilots of commercial airliners are.
That was the first thing that I thought of too. In Japan, their trains are basically planes, serving as intercity transport. As such, the engineers are rigorously screened and only a certain person is accepted.

Remember, Japan works at continuously improving not only manufacturing techniques, but also management techniques, training etc.

Driving a train in Japan is a status symbol, driving a Shinkansen is a HUGE status symbol... perhaps something along the lines of being an astronaut.

Also, I should point out that using your voice, reinforcing with your finger, is also an excellent learning technique. There's a reason we ask kids to follow along with their finger when being read to in a book. It improves focus and helps to retain information. In addition, when learning a new language, physical reinforcement can be an excellent tool.

THe more stimuli you can get (sound, physical, visual...), the more neurons connect in your brain, the more pathways are formed, the more you're apt to remember.

The brain is really amazing, isn't it? Truly a marvel of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
As far I as remember there are some service tracks connecting Toukaidou Shinkansen with Touhoku Shinkansen at Toukyou Station, but they're not normally in use.

BTW, in English, it's usually rendered Tokaido, Tohoku and Tokyo. No need to get phonetic.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #210
perdurabo
Silesian InExile

Likes (Received): 4754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Degree of education does not matter, devotion and seriousness to their occupation does.
I think the word here is professionalism and may even be craftsmanship thriving to become perfect at one's job.
Not all have this in them but never the less they are trained to do so.
In europe it has a lot to do with education, usually those with lower degree are "lazy slackers" (of course i'm generalizing here) but moust of the accidents, trains beeing late and so on are human factor.
Look (sory for infesting with non japan stuff this thread)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDS89z0VFHs
talks inside:
(apart from speed noticing)
-ohh we have weak current...
-look look..
-oh i made mistake
-don't care we will just do another run...
and this is suposedly speed record breaking by Simens Taurus in Poland
now you can imageine how mutch unprofesional talks and behaviour goes inside local commuter train we are not years but ages behind Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Remember, Japan works at continuously improving not only manufacturing techniques, but also management techniques, training etc.

Driving a train in Japan is a status symbol, driving a Shinkansen is a HUGE status symbol... perhaps something along the lines of being an astronaut.

The brain is really amazing, isn't it? Truly a marvel of design.
it is, but i'm more amazed(and ashamed) how large gap is beatiwn my country railways and JR.

Quote:
BTW, in English, it's usually rendered Tokaido, Tohoku and Tokyo. No need to get phonetic.
hmm sometimes there is - above letter to indicate longer sound (when you use う to lenghten it)

But going back on topic:
I don't like E5 look, i prefer 500 series, つばめ 800 series looks good too!
perdurabo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #211
Sr.Horn
tÚ con pastas member

I read on another forum who want to withdraw all trains of 300 series in 2011, can be true?
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #212
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

^ I'm not sure about 2011, maybe they mean that Tokaido Shinkansen won't have any services where they use the 300 series train.
Especially since the large number of 700-series trains and an increasingly growing number of N700-series trains available, then it's only natural that the older trains are being retired, the first 300 set were removed from service in 2007.
And by removing the older slower accelerating trains they will be able to increase the capacity of the lines...
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #213
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

300 series sets still in service (August 2009):
JR Central: 36
JR West: 9
total: 45

Delivery schedule N700 sets:
2010: 18
2011: 16
total: 32

There's still a gap of more then ten trains in 2011, but with the faster acceleration of the 700 series the Hikari and the Kodama services on the Tokaido Shinkansen can go faster needing less sets for the same service.

Another major event in 2011 is the opening of the full Kyushu Shinkansen with a new Sakura Service from Kagoshima to Osaka with the JR Kyushu N700-7000 8-car sets. This could mean that there will be less Tokaido Hikari services from Tokyo that go beyond Osaka to make room for the new service, needing less sets, but this is just me speculating.

The 0 series was retired in 2009, the 400 series is now also (almost) retired and the 100 and 200 series will also go in 2011. It's clearly a period of saying goodbye to the 1st generations of Shinkansen trains.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #214
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Which country is in need of high speed trains urgently? Surely PRC China could buy them off Japan to run local services. Imagine that!
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #215
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

China already has a massive high speed rail programme, including the fastest conventional trains in the world.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #216
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Surely it can't hurt to purchase the retiring 300s to supplement existing stock?
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #217
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Why bother? The design is over twenty years old, each trainset will have had twelve to nineteen years of intensive use, and they would have to be modified to work with Chinese signalling and ATP systems. China wants to be on the cutting edge of high speed rail technology, so it has no reason to buy surplus trains that Japanese operators consider to be obselete.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #218
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

The low ridership filmed astonishes me
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #219
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Well, I would be careful to try and draw too many conclusions from this... There's plenty of valid reasons why we wouldn't see many people in this particular video:
  • It's 8:20 am.
  • The train in the video enters service in Nagoya (probably a pull-out run from the yard)... It doesn't start all the way in Tōkyō. You have very limited reason to take this train unless you are getting on at Gifu Hajima or Maibara (both very minor stations) and / or getting off at one of the minor stations on the San'yō Shinkansen (namely, Nishi-Akashi, Himeji, Aioi).
  • It's a Hikari, only the second fastest service. The schedule at Nagoya places another Hikari for Hiroshima five minutes before this one, followed by a Nozomi two minutes before, a Nozomi five minutes after, and another Nozomi 22 minutes after. Between Nagoya and Hiroshima, there is no semi-major or major station that doesn't have at least one Nozomi an hour stopping at it.
  • It's the reverse commute (at this time of day, the directionality is to Tōkyō).
  • Much of the regional traffic that would otherwise get on at Kyōto takes JR West urban trains... They're cheaper than Shinkansen, and the time savings with Shinkansen on these regional trips within Kansai is usually not worth the extra cost. This would siphon ridership off trips to Nishi-Akashi or Himeji (see the second bullet).
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #220
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Nearly empty trains are not unusual, due to the reasons quashlo mentioned. I have been on Kodama services on the Sanyo Shinkansen (the 500 series ones I try to take if possible), where I and maybe two or three other passengers had a whole car to ourselves, and this being unreserved seating- the reserved cars were likely empty. This is particularly the case once you enter the urban network region, where cheaper alternatives exist on the 1067mm lines. Usually the Kodamas are used by passengers traveling between the regional cities, where the 1067mm lines have few convenient intercity services, for example between Aioi and Okayama.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; February 18th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote