daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM   #261
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
image hosted on flickr
[/url]
Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr
Two things strike me in this picture.

1. This shinkansen doesn't have a washlet. How uncivilized! (*_*)
2. Those baby carriers that flip down are AWESOME! In case anyone's wondering, it's that thing on the right in the wall. It flips down and you sit the baby or toddler in there.

So, you can go to the restroom without a toddler walking around the room... and you have a place to securely seat infants that can't walk yet. A three-year old couldn't get out of one of those things.

They are also EVERYWHERE in Japan now and I really really think they should become standard issue in North American restrooms here, especially with the number of single parents there are here.

shaikh altamash liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM   #262
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
1. This shinkansen doesn't have a washlet. How uncivilized! (*_*)
I assume you're just being tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, putting a washlet in would probably require a pretty large water tank.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:50 AM   #263
quashlo

Japan keen on investing in two high-speed rail ventures in Thailand
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...-rail-ventures

Quote:
Japan has expressed interested in building high-speed railways from Bangkok to the North and the East, Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan says.

Mr Chatchart said a Japanese minister had informed him of Tokyo's interest in developing high-speed railways from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Rayong. The Chiang Mai link would be 700 km long and should cost about 400 billion baht to build, while the 200km line to Rayong would cost about 170 billion baht.

He said Japan had suggested using the Airport Rail Link system that runs from inner Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi airport as part of the east-bound high-speed railway. Japanese authorities will present details of their proposal to the Transport Ministry.

"Japan is interested in high-speed railway development on the two routes, which are Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Bangkok to Rayong, and expects trains to run at 250kph," Mr Chatchart said.

"Japan will study the plan in detail to find ways to minimise the construction costs for Thailand."

Thailand already plans to build high-speed railways to the northeastern province of Nong Khai and the southern tourist destination of Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

Mr Chatchart said that the high-speed railway projects would help develop Thai human resources and technology, improve Thais' quality of life, stimulate spending and expand the national economy.

"If you look only at their costs, high-speed railway projects may not be realised. But if you consider the overall benefits to the national economy, we must build them," Mr Chatchart said.

"My only concern is environmental impact assessments that may take time."

Chatt Kuldiloke, another deputy transport minister, confirmed that high-speed railways would certainly emerge in Thailand as many countries were interested in helping develop them.

He expects studies on the projects, including design, to start in six months and a bidding contest to select a contractor will be held later this year or early next year.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM   #264
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
"If you look only at their costs, high-speed railway projects may not be realised. But if you consider the overall benefits to the national economy, we must build them," Mr Chatchart said.
Say that to the Republicans in the US Congress.

--

On a completely separate note, although I know that the 16-car 500系 is already retired, and even though I am sure that the prototype only has two pantographs, there seems to be another design that has three pantographs. Is this true, and if so, why is this so?

Last edited by Silver Swordsman; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #265
quashlo

Sorry, I missed your question... You should just make a new post next time, since edits don't bump up the thread.

Production units had two pantographs, but the prototype (WIN350) had three different types to test their effectiveness at noise reduction.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #266
quashlo

MLIT will introduce variable gauge trains to Hokuriku Shinkansen
http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201203...090036000.html

Quote:
 国土交通省は21日、2025年度末を目指す北陸新幹線敦賀(福井県)延伸に合わせ、フリーゲージトレイン(軌間可変電車)を導入する方針を固めた。工 事実施計画に敦賀駅付近で軌間を変更させる装置などの設置を盛り込む。JR側との手続きも経て、認可は4月以降になる見通し。

同日の交通政策審議会整備新幹線小委員会が、昨年末に新規着工方針が決まった北陸新幹線金沢―敦賀、九州新幹線長崎ルート・諫早―長崎、北海道新幹線新 函館―札幌の3区間について、投資効果や採算性が確保できるとした国交省の試算は妥当―とする報告書をおおむね了承。北陸新幹線と長崎ルートにフリーゲー ジの「積極的な活用」を提言する内容も確認した。

報告書にフリーゲージの運行区間は明記しないが、国交省は現時点で富山―敦賀間は新幹線、敦賀―大阪間は湖西線など在来線に乗り入れて運行する想定をしている。

長野県内からの利用を考えると、現時点の想定では敦賀以西との行き来には1度乗り換えが必要。フリーゲージ車両の運行区間の長野方面への拡大や、乗り換え時間の短縮が課題になる。
On 2012.03.21, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) announced that it will introduce the Free Gauge Train (FGT) for the Hokuriku Shinkansen between Tsuruga and Ōsaka. The FGT units will enter service with the 2025 opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Tsuruga. The units will run on Shinkansen tracks between Toyama and Tsuruga, switching to zairaisen tracks at Tsuruga and using the Kosei Line to get to Ōsaka. There are some issues left to resolve, though, including how to deal with possible delays and service disruptions (the Kosei Line is especially susceptible to wind, and the Kansai area has a large number of grade crossings).

Currently, the FGT is continuing its zairaisen tests on the Yosan Line in Shikoku, focusing on durability / reliability tests. With the recent schedule changes in March, it’s now doing four roundtrips a day between Tadotsu and Sakaide, and can now be seen during the daytime as well (for the first time).

Entering Tadotsu Plant (2012.02):

Daytime testing (2012.03):

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #267
quashlo

Shin-Hakodate Station design selected
http://www.nikkei.com/news/local/art...E2E2EBE0E2E3E0

Quote:
2015年度に開業する北海道新幹線の新函館駅(仮称、北斗市)について、高谷寿峰市長の諮問機関「新幹線新駅周辺空間デザイン審議会」は7日、駅舎デザインを決定した。同会は3月、推薦案として市長に答申する。

審議会が決定したのは、外壁の大部分がガラス張りで、内部にはトラピスト修道院のポプラ並木をイメージした枝分かれした鉄骨の柱を設置するデザイン。鉄道建設・運輸施設整備支援機構は1月下旬に3案を提示。この日の審議会では2回目の投票で決まった。

メンバーからは地元の素材を使って建設することなどが追加要望として提案された。

会長の韮沢憲吉・函館高専名誉教授は「構造としては新幹線の駅らしい安定した形。レンガや道南スギなど地元素材を生かした駅舎にすることを検討してほしい」と話した。
Render.
Pretty standard Shinkansen station.

For comparison, here’s the adjacent Kikonai Station:

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #268
quashlo

Shin-Hakodate will be designed with cross-platform transfer
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...202010001.html

Quote:
 2015年度に開業予定の北海道新幹線新青森~新函館(仮称)間の新函館駅のホーム配置案が固まりました。

案によりますと、新函館開業時点では、新幹線が2面2線、在来線が2面4線で、両ホームは同一レベルに設置。新幹線は、札幌延伸時には上り線用ホームになるホームで当面、折り返し運転し、一方の在来線は、駅を通り抜けられるホーム2面3線に加え、新幹線側の通り抜けられる線路だけを見ると、1面1線となるホームのうち、函館寄りを切り欠くことで1面2線とします。

両ホームは乗換改札をホーム上に設けて、階段の上下を一切せずに移動できるようにし、函館~新函館~札幌間の特急列車及び新函館~函館間の連絡列車と新函館発着の新幹線との乗換を用意にします。

一方で、2035年度の開通が計画されている新函館~新札幌間が開業した場合、下り線ホームと連絡列車の平面乗換ができなくなる見通しです。
Similar to what was done for Shin-Yatsushiro on the Kagoshima route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen, Shin-Hakodate will be designed with a temporary cross-platform transfer to facilitate transfers between Shinkansen and connecting zairaisen trains (specifically, limited expresses running Hakodate – Shin-Hakodate – Sapporo as well as connecting local trains from Shin-Hakodate to Hakodate. Transfer gates will be provided on the platform level, and transferring passengers won’t need to move up or down stairs or escalators to make transfers between Shinkansen and connecting zairaisen trains. Faregates weren’t required on the platform at Shin-Yatsushiro, but this situation is a bit different, as local trains (i.e., not limited expresses) that don’t require premium fares will also be connecting with Shinkansen.

The general track layout will look like this:

Source: Asahi Shimbun
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #269
quashlo

Excavation for Hokkaidō tunnels on Shin-Hakodate extension complete
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/news/1...1080009-n1.htm

Quote:
 2015年度に開業する北海道新幹線(新青森-新函館)の新茂辺地トンネル(3345メートル)の貫通式が26日、北斗市のトンネル内で行われた。これで北海道側に整備する新函館までの6本すべてが貫通した。

鉄道建設・運輸施設整備支援機構によると、新茂辺地トンネルは、6本のうち木古内町と北斗市にまたがる渡島当別トンネル(8073メートル)に次ぐ長さ。07年3月に着工し、内装工事を経て13年3月に完成する。

青森県側でも6本のトンネルを整備する計画で、外ケ浜町の館沢トンネル(590メートル)など3本が既に貫通している。

政府は昨年末、北海道新幹線の札幌延伸を決め、35年度ごろに新函館-札幌(211キロ)が開業する予定。
Tunneling for the 3,345 m Shin-Moheji Tunnel in Hokuto City was completed on 2012.03.26, marking the completion of excavation of all six Hokkaidō-side tunnels for the 148 km Hokkaidō Shinkansen segment from Shin-Aomori to Shin-Hakodate. The Shin-Moheji Tunnel is the second longest of the six—the first is the 8,073 m Oshima Tōbetsu Tunnel between Kikonai Town and Hokuto City. Tunneling work on the Hokkaidō side began in March 2007, and they will now finish the trackbed construction and other work by March 2013. Overall construction progress on the Hokkaidō side is around 80%. Rail-laying will begin in April 2013 and be completed by late FY2014, one year before the start of revenue service.

The Aomori side also has six tunnels, three of which are already complete. Overall construction progress on the Aomori side is at 47%.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #270
quashlo

Development of freight Shinkansen for Seikan Tunnel begins
http://mainichi.jp/hokkaido/seikei/n...20260000c.html

Quote:
JR北海道の小池明夫社長は12日の記者会見で、北海道新幹線の青函トンネルで、在来線の貨物列車1編成をそのまま搭載する貨物型新幹線実用化に向け、国の支援を受けた本格研究を始めることを明らかにした。貨物列車は高速の新幹線とすれ違う際、風圧で脱線の危険性が指摘されており、貨物新幹線が運行されれば新幹線は減速せずに走行できると期待される。

貨物型新幹線は「トレイン・オン・トレイン」と呼ばれ、同社は05年に内部的な研究を開始。国土交通省は実用化を期待し、来年度予算に初めて同社への調査研究費1000万円の計上を決め、同社も本格研究することにした。

構想では貨物新幹線の車台にレールと同じ幅の溝を刻み、貨物列車をそのまま積む。高速走行が可能な機関車がけん引し、北海道新幹線と同じ時速260キロでの走行を目標とする。小池社長は「実用化には少なくとも8年程度はかかる」と説明。同社の苗穂工場(札幌市東区)で、貨物新幹線用の車台の設計などを研究していた。

貨物列車の脱線を避けるには、これまでは新幹線が速度を140キロ程度に落とすか、貨物列車を新幹線が走行しない夜間に運行させるなどの対策が考えられていた。小池社長は「青函トンネルは物流の動脈。速度を落としては新幹線がもったいない。(高額な開発費が必要なため)国の支援が不可欠」と話した。
JR Hokkaidō will finally begin real R&D efforts towards development of their Train-on-Train concept, which would allow slower-speed narrow-gauge freight trains designed for zairaisen to be loaded onto a specially-designed 260 km/h freight Shinkansen for travel through the Seikan Tunnel. There is some worry about the potential for derailment of freight trains inside the tunnel when being passed by Shinkansen in the opposite direction, which will become a critical issue with the fast-approaching start of service on the first segment of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen to Shin-Hakodate, of which 82 km will be shared dual-gauge track with narrow-gauge zairaisen.

Video of the concept:
http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/cont/vi...&v=75929401001

While there has been some internal research on the concept between JR Hokkaidō and JR Freight since 2005, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) will finally begin looking at the idea this fiscal year, earmarking about ¥10 million in R&D costs in this year’s budget. The other options were to force Shinkansen trains to slow to 140 km/h or implement schedule management of freight trains (i.e., limiting freight traffic to late nights or other open slots only). JR Hokkaidō says it will take at least 8 years to fully develop the technology for practical use. Last year, there were some tests regarding the potential of Shinkansen to transport seafood from Hokkaidō to the Tōkyō area, which could stand to benefit from the Train-on-Train concept.
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #271
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
The FGT units will enter service with the 2025 opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Tsuruga.
Shall free gauge trains operate anywhere else?
Such as Nagasaki Shinkansen?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #272
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your question... You should just make a new post next time, since edits don't bump up the thread.

Production units had two pantographs, but the prototype (WIN350) had three different types to test their effectiveness at noise reduction.
I'm not referring to the WIN350 prototype: I insist that I saw a 500系 that had three pantographs.

--

Regarding the freight shinkansens, I don't like this idea. For an aging railway whose main problem is wear and tear on existing infrastructure, the idea of putting heavy freight trains on delicate tracks designed for lighter trainsets sounds suicidal to maintain.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #273
quashlo

Would be helpful if you could provide the source where you saw this...
As far as I know, the production units only had two pantos, which can be easily confirmed on YouTube.

As for the freight Shinkansen, the Seikan Tunnel already takes freight trains. This is really just the most logical solution to ensure adequate provision for continued freight traffic while maintaining the benefits of the Shinkansen... Forcing the Shinkansen to slow down may satisfy the safety concerns, but it also increases the travel time unnecessarily and somewhat defeats the purpose of the extension into Hokkaidō.
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #274
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Freight high speed rail sounds like a HUGE waste of money, Freight doesnt need to get anywhere as fast as passengers might.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #275
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

But the slow freight trains will hold up the faster shinkansen trains, and the solution is either to slow down the Shinkansen trains or speed up the freight trains, take your pick...
Also standard Japanese freight trains aren't made to meet Shinkansen trains going at full tilt through a tunnel with a tight diameter, and run the risk of derailing unless they slow down the high speed trains.
So making something to speed up the slow freight trains would be a great idea on how to keep the speed of the Shinkansen trains. But since the standard freight trains aren't rated to run at speeds over 130 km/h, then putting it on a train that can go faster is the only option they have unless they want to spend more time and reload the cargo between trains...
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #276
quashlo

Yeah, the impetus for the project doesn't have anything to do with getting goods from point A to point B faster, but to ensure that the Shinkansen can maintain high speed in the tunnel and that freight isn't relegated to late evening and early morning only (when Shinkansen trains aren't running).
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #277
quashlo

JR East will begin mass production of E6 series for Akita Shinkansen

Official JR East press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20120404.pdf

A total of 23 trains (161 cars) will be produced, replacing the current E3 series Komachi trains. The first unit will roll off the production line in November 2012, and production will continue until spring 2014. The current prototype mass production unit being tested will also be outfitted for revenue service once testing is complete.

Comparison of E6 and E3 series:

The E6 is one car and about 20 m longer than the E3 series (5M2T vs. 4M2T), needed to allow 320 km/h operation starting in late FY2013 (compared to 275 km/h for the E3) while maintaining the same passenger capacity. The E6 features features full-active suspension on all cars (E3 series had full-active suspension for the end cars only—the intermediate cars were semi-active) and tilting technology (maximum 1.5 degrees on Shinkansen tracks).

As an interesting tidbit, there will be security cameras in both the deck areas and passenger cabins… This may be a first for Shinkansen stock?

Tour inside the E6 series mass production prototype (2011.11). Love the green car seats.

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #278
quashlo

Nagasaki Shinkansen will be 6 to 8 cars
http://www.47news.jp/CN/201202/CN2012020101001729.html

Quote:
 国土交通省は1日、交通政策審議会の整備新幹線小委員会の会合で、フリーゲージトレイン(軌間可変電車)を導入予定の九州・長崎ルートについて、同区間の特急と同じ6~8両編成を想定していると報告した。営業車両の製造費は、新幹線(1両3億円程度)の1割増になるとの見通しも示した。フリーゲージは、車輪の幅を変えることで線路幅の異なる新幹線と在来線を直通運転できる。国交省は北陸の富山―大阪でも導入を検討しており、この区間は9両編成を想定している。
This puts the train length similar to the existing Kamome limited expresses and the Kagoshima route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen. Since this is planned to be operated with variable gauge trains, the production cost will be about 10% more than the standard Shinkansen car (¥300 million).

The MLIT proposal is to have the Nagasaki Shinkansen trains through-service all the way to Shin-Ōsaka using the San’yō Shinkansen, meaning that both the Kagoshima and Nagasaki routes would have direct service to Shin-Ōsaka. A total of 14 through-service roundtrips are envisioned. Of course, there is some caution from the JR side, which is a bit worried about the speed of the FGT (270 km/h), which could have a detrimental effect on the San’yō Shinkansen (300 km/h).
http://www.saga-s.co.jp/news/saga.0....2.article.html
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #279
quashlo

Takeo Onsen – Nagasaki section of Nagasaki Shinkansen may be full Shinkansen standard
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...112060787.html

Quote:
 九州新幹線長崎ルートの武雄温泉―長崎間について、国土交通省が、予定されていた在来線規格ではなく、新幹線と同じ線路幅の「フル規格」での導入を検討していることが分かった。運行速度のアップで投資効果を高め、着工認可につなげる狙いとみられる。

武雄温泉―長崎間は、在来線規格で走る「スーパー特急」方式が検討されていたが、新幹線規格よりも速度が遅いため、投資効果が疑問視されていた。

未着工の諫早―長崎間のみを新幹線規格にしても時間の短縮にはつながらないといい、国交省は在来線規格で着工中の武雄温泉―諫早間も含めて新幹線規格への変更を検討している。規格の変更で、移動時間が短縮され、輸送客数の増加が見込めるという。

This section of the line has been a topic of hot debate (in fact, the whole route of the Nagasaki Shinkansen has been one convoluted mess of competing interests). The initial plan was simply to build and operate a “super limited express” on this section—namely, building a new narrow-gauge (1,067 mm) line between Takeo Onsen and Isahaya, and from there, either continuing on new narrow-gauge tracks or reusing the existing Nagasaki Main Line to get into Nagasaki. Construction work has already begun on the Takeo Onsen – Isahaya section with the “super limited express” in mind.

Now, however, it appears that the MLIT wants to convert the Takeo Onsen – Nagasaki section to full Shinkansen standard (i.e., all-new standard gauge tracks), the biggest reason being that minimal time savings under the current “super limited express” plan are minimal. Converting only the section they haven’t started on (Isahaya – Nagasaki) to full Shinkansen standard still would not save enough time, so they now want to convert the section already under construction as well. The additional cost for converting the section already construction is minimal, as the tunnels already accept standard Shinkansen loading gauge.

The other half of the line between Hakata and Takeo Onsen will use the Kagoshima route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen to Shin-Tosu and from there, portions of the Nagasaki Main Line and Sasebo Line to get to Takeo Onsen, so it “should” remain unaffected by these plans. The Hizen Yamaguchi – Isahaya section of the Sasebo Line is the potential bottleneck here, though, as this is currently a single-track section and is currently planned to remain so with the Nagasaki Shinkansen. There is some conflicting interest here, as Saga Prefecture does not want to pay for double-tracking of the section (or for any other serious upgrade of the Shin-Tosu – Takeo Onsen section, for that matter), but Ōmachi Town wants the Sasebo Line elevated to eliminate the existing grade crossings through its jurisdiction.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #280
quashlo

MLIT outlines Hokuriku Shinkansen schedule after Kanazawa extension
http://www.tulip-tv.co.jp/news/detai...20120228122308

Quote:
 3年後に開業する北陸新幹線について、国土交通省は、想定される運行本数や所要時間などを公表し、東京・富山間で1日あたり、片道27本を運行する案を示しました。

これは、国土交通省が27日開いた交通政策審議会の部会で公表したものです。

それによりますと、東京・富山間の運行本数は現在の東京・長野間と同じ、1日あたり片道27本を想定しています。

27本のうち長野、富山などの主要駅のみにとまる新幹線は14本、各駅にとまる新幹線は13本です。

東京・富山間の所要時間は、主要駅のみの停車でおよそ2時間20分。各駅停車の場合は2時間56分です。

特急料金は4810円で、特急と上越新幹線を乗り継いだ場合より若干安くなっています。

北陸新幹線、長野・金沢間の開業は2015年春の予定で、正式なダイヤと料金はJRが決定します。
There will be 27 trains in each direction daily between Tōkyō and Toyama, of which 14 will be expresses that only stop at major stations (Nagano, Toyama, etc.). The remaining 13 will be locals. The expresses will take approx. 2h20m between Tōkyō and Toyama, the locals 2h56m. The limited express fare surcharge will be ¥4,810, a substantial savings over the current route using limited expresses and the Jōetsu Shinkansen.

The ultimate schedule and fare structure will be decided by JR.