daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #341
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Hokuriku Shinkansen rail walk

On 2012.07.07, members of the public were invited to tour portions of the under-construction Hokuriku Shinkansen viaduct near Shin-Takaoka Station. Some photos:
Source: http://kiha85hida.exblog.jp/

Up the scaffolding to reach the top…

Future Shin-Takaoka Station, a two-track station with side platforms. The rails will be laid about a half-year before the service opens to give them enough time to test everything. All viaduct sections in Takaoka City are supposed to be finished before the end of the fiscal year.

Track on the left is inbound to Tōkyō, track on the right is outbound to Kanazawa.

A bit suprising to see how tall the tracks actually are above the base of the structure.
And no, the picture wasn’t taken at a slant… As Shin-Takaoka Station is only a minor station, there will be trains passing through the station without stopping, hence the cant.

Looking east towards the Shō River.
The soundwalls are fairly high here. Apparently, some of the panels will be acrylic glass to make it easier for passengers to enjoy the view.

Climbing onto the future platforms…

As is typical nowadays, the station will have waist-high platform doors, with plenty of clearance between the doors and the platform edge.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #342
quashlo

Hokuriku Shinkansen construction at Kanazawa Station

Some belated pics from 2012.05 of the ongoing work at Kanazawa Station:
Source: http://saitoshika.blog119.fc2.com/

Can see the platforms taking shape already behind the existing station building, with its distinctive “Hospitality Dome”. Kanazawa will serve as the terminus for the line for several years until the extension to Tsuruga opens, and will feature four tracks.

From the west side

The east approach into the station, where track laying is already underway.

Moving to Higashi-Kanazawa Station a little bit northeast, we can see the high viaduct approach into the center of the city. Historically, Kanazawa and Ishikawa Prefecture have had closer ties to Ōsaka and the Kansai region, but the Shinkansen extension will make Kanazawa significantly more accessible from Tōkyō and the Kantō region.

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #343
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I'm glad that the Kanazawa Shinkansen station will have a much more pleasant interior than its zairaisen neighbor, which may be one of the darkest and most depressing places in Japan to arrive on a train, rivaled perhaps only by my local station, Sapporo.

Kanazawa Sta. shinkansen platforms (reminiscent of the new Asahikawa Station):
http://ameblo.jp/kanamachi21/image-1...969732441.html
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #344
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Still no news on the E7?

What's the max design speed on the Hokuriku Shinkansen?
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #345
quashlo

No news on the E7.

The Hokuriku Shinkansen is one of the 整備新幹線, all of which have a "base" design speed of 260 km/h. The maximum speed can be increased with noise abatement measures and using faster rolling stock, just as has been done with the Tōhoku Shinkansen, but it remains to be seen whether they will do anything of the sort with the Hokuriku Shinkansen.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #346
quashlo

JR East announces Shinkansen timetable revisions for September

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20120708.pdf

As part of continued speed upgrades to the Tōhoku Shinkansen, JR East recently announced the following upcoming changes to its Shinkansen network taking effect this September.

Yamagata Shinkansen speed upgrades
All Yamagata Shinkansen Tsubasa services will be increased to 275 km/h. Nine roundtrips were already upgraded with the March 2012 timetable changes, but the remaining 7 roundtrips will be upgraded with the replacement of E4 (bilevel 8-car formations) units with E2 (single-level 10-car formations) on the current Max Yamabiko services. This will speed up the Tsubasa services by another three minutes between Tōkyō and Yamagata to 2h26m.

With these changes, the 18-year old E1 series (first entered service 1994.07.15) will be completely retired, and the E4 series will end regular revenue service on the Tōhoku Shinkansen north of Ōmiya.

More E5 series
Another 5 sets will enter service, bringing the total to 16 sets. Another 4 Hayate roundtrips will be operated with E5 sets: 3 more Tōkyō – Shin-Aomori roundtrips (bringing the total to 11) and 1 more Tōkyō – Morioka roundtrip (bringing the total to 2).

Capacity upgrades to the Jōetsu Shinkansen
With the complete retirement of the E1 series (bilevel 12-car formations), these units will be replaced by some of the E4 series being shifted off the Tōhoku Shinkansen, operating in tandem 8+8 formations. Capacity on these particular runs will be increased by 405 seats to 1,634 pax.

A look at some of the rolling stock variety on the Tōhoku Shinkansen, which is gradually disappearing as JR East works to speed up the line by consolidating to a two-train fleet of E5s and E6s.

And an unofficial PV based on the 30th anniversary CM:

Last edited by quashlo; July 13th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #347
quashlo

N700A cars being delivered to JR Central by trailer truck:

Car 16 passing the Morishita intersection (2012.07.05):

The other end car, car 1 (2012.07.12) near JR Central's Hamamatsu Plant:

Last edited by quashlo; July 13th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #348
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

wow sad to see this train die like this... 0 series??

image hosted on flickr

Flickr pic from ubic from tokyo
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #349
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Likes (Received): 4

That's a 200 based on the snowplows on its front
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #350
k.k.jetcar

That's a 200 series (3 cars) on display adjacent to the Nagareyama Onsen station on the Hakodate Main Line in southern Hokkaido. The other end is in considerably better shape (the exit from the platform is there). This station sees only 4 trains stop in each direction per day.
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #351
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62985

Thanks for answering my question in advance since I was going to ask what is it doing in Hokkaido.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #352
quashlo

JR East president has high hopes for California project
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb2...l#.UAIfBPXrSSo

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — A consortium that includes East Japan Railway Co. will emphasize the excellent safety record and reliability of the shinkansen network as it seeks to take part in California's planned high-speed rail system, JR East Chairman Satoshi Seino said.

Seino made the remark Wednesday in Philadelphia on the sidelines of a world congress on high-speed railways after California's state assembly approved initial construction costs for the rail system.

"Japan stands a good chance of winning the order by emphasizing the Japanese shinkansen network's early recovery from the (March 2011) Great East Japan Earthquake, its on-time services and low accident rates," Seino said.

He said the Japanese consortium has not decided which train cars to offer California.

Seino also called for stronger support from the Japanese government to better compete with France and other rivals.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #353
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
He said the Japanese consortium has not decided which train cars to offer California.
Whither efSET?
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #354
Erick Satoh
OnlyEasyDayWasYesterday

Likes (Received): 12

sorry i know this is off-tropic but...

does anyone can help me with railroad models my plan is to buy every single model in N Gauge of Shinkansen type
i do love trains im brazilian living in japan

last week i did buyed a Kato 500 Series Nozomi
Erick Satoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #355
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Satoh View Post
sorry i know this is off-tropic but...

does anyone can help me with railroad models my plan is to buy every single model in N Gauge of Shinkansen type
i do love trains im brazilian living in japan

last week i did buyed a Kato 500 Series Nozomi
Well, there should be a good number of model train shops in the Nagoya area. For starters, try the Bic Camera Store at Nagoya Station Nishiguchi (4F has a hobby area). If you're on a budget, consider buying secondhand, such as Poppondetta. There is a branch store at the Aeon Mall Kisogawa, access by Meitetsu (3 min walk from Kuroda Station):
http://www.popondetta.com/kirio/index.html

For more model rr info try the JNS Forum.
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #356
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Whither efSET?
Not sure. The article is so short and offers no context, so it's difficult to say much. Usually, the Japan Times English articles are translations of Japanese articles, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Could just be that Seino got it wrong, its a mistranslation, or even reporter error.

Plus, it will still be a ways down the road before the CHSRA begins to seriously consider purchasing rolling stock, so it may just be a comment that it's still too far into the future to be offering an exact type of train beyond basic specs. And who knows what will happen in that time? By that time, Japanese high-speed rail service will already be venturing into new areas, such as variable-gauge trains (Nagasaki Shinkansen) and shared trackage (Seikan Tunnel), the latter being one of the weaker points of Japan's expertise in comparison to Europe. By that time, there could be an E8 or E9 in the works (replacing E2?) to serve as the basis for a new export model.
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #357
quashlo

Shin-Ōsaka Station concourse renovation update

A few recent pics (2012.06) of the ongoing renovation of the concourse at JR Shin-Ōsaka Station, being executed in tandem with the addition of the new Shinkansen platform at the station:
Source: http://saitoshika.blog119.fc2.com/

TVMs for Shinkansen (left) and JR West zairaisen (right). Love the black here.

East Exit for the zairaisen concourse

South Exit for the Shinkansen (the former Central Exit). They went crazy with the security cameras…

Previously, the South Exit was strictly for exiting passengers only, but they’ve now converted it to dual use. Departure boards are six-row full-color LCDs (three screens total), with separate boards for outbound San’yō Shinkansen (left), inbound Tōkaidō Shinkansen Nozomi (center), and inbound Tōkaidō Shinkansen Hikari and Kodama (right).

The public concourse area near the Central Exit. Looks vastly different from what I remember late last year.

The relocated Sennari-Byōtan, the battle standard of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. This is a popular meeting spot.

They’ve also got a display of a bunraku puppet.

Newly-opened staffed Shinkansen ticket counters.

They are gradually opening the renovated sections a bit at a time, and they’ve still got some areas left to finish. This will be the connection with the new Hankyū office building going in on the north side of the station.

timo9 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #358
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

^I think that's the Maglev, sweetheart.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM   #359
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Maglev can be a HSR train.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:05 AM   #360