daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM   #401
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Designed by Neumeister, but built by Hitachi, Kawasaki Heavy Industries Rolling Stock Company, Kinki Sharyo and Nippon Sharyo.

That's an interesting discussion: Is a train built by Bombardier in Germany Canadian or German? I would consider a Bombardier TRAXX locomotive as German.
I concur, it's German. Bombardier the Canadian company is, in a manner of speaking, the parent company. The rail division is based in Berlin. Bombardier started out as a maker of snowmobiles, and gained the other businesses through acquisition- I think it got most of its European railway expertise through its acquisition of Adtranz.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #402
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63121

Bombardier Transportation still kind of operates as a local company in many European countries. Their trains for the SNCF are French designs and also manufactured in French factories. Just like they use German designs and factories for German train and Swiss designs and factories for Swiss trains. Although recently more and more work is transferred to Eastern Europe to save costs.

Most French trains are still French trains, although they are now also buying truly foreign trains like the Diesel Traxx loco's they have ordered from Bombardier. Japan is still a step further when it comes to protecting it's own market. The foreign input in the railway industry is limited to parts and also very specialized rolling stock like track maintenance/construction vehicles. I've seen enough Plasser & Theurer trains in Japan.

I think that one of the advantages of the European industry is that they are already used to building trains for different kind of systems in different countries. The Japanese manufactures have always focused on the internal market in Japan, and even though the Japanese network is diverse on some parts it's still rather uniform. The European companies might adapt better to local conditions in foreign countries which gives them an edge over the Japanese companies when it comes to exporting trains. This is of course a big difference compared to the automobile industry where the Japanese car builders are very successful as exporters.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #403
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Bombardier Transportation still kind of operates as a local company in many European countries. Their trains for the SNCF are French designs and also manufactured in French factories. Just like they use German designs and factories for German train and Swiss designs and factories for Swiss trains. Although recently more and more work is transferred to Eastern Europe to save costs.

Most French trains are still French trains, although they are now also buying truly foreign trains like the Diesel Traxx loco's they have ordered from Bombardier. Japan is still a step further when it comes to protecting it's own market. The foreign input in the railway industry is limited to parts and also very specialized rolling stock like track maintenance/construction vehicles. I've seen enough Plasser & Theurer trains in Japan.

I think that one of the advantages of the European industry is that they are already used to building trains for different kind of systems in different countries. The Japanese manufactures have always focused on the internal market in Japan, and even though the Japanese network is diverse on some parts it's still rather uniform. The European companies might adapt better to local conditions in foreign countries which gives them an edge over the Japanese companies when it comes to exporting trains. This is of course a big difference compared to the automobile industry where the Japanese car builders are very successful as exporters.
Not necessarily true. For THSR, the Japanese were shown to be flexible and be able to modify components to suit the needs of Taiwan. In fact, the problems that have been hitting THSR regarding technology mergers are the switches, which were made by Europeans.

Japan still has an edge for CHSR because they have better earthquake detection systems. (They were able to stop the trains before the earthquake began, pretty badass in my opinion.)
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #404
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Governor’s Association of Kyūshū Region to begin studies for East Kyūshū Shinkansen
http://www.oita-press.co.jp/localNew...216059571.html

Quote:
 九州地方知事会が東九州新幹線(福岡市―鹿児島市)の実現を国に求める方針を決めたことを受け、広瀬勝貞知事は5日の定例会見で、沿線の自治体と実現に向けた調査研究を進める考えを示した。
 沿線になる予定の福岡、大分、宮崎、鹿児島各県と北九州市は1971年に東九州新幹線鉄道建設促進期成会を設置した。国への要望以外は活動しておらず、毎年の総会は書面で済ませているという。
 広瀬知事は「採算性や工事費、投資効果を勉強しないと前には進まない」とし、ルートの調査研究を進める必要性を強調した。具体的な内容や組織の在り方は今後詰める。
東九州ルートは73年に基本計画路線となったが、その後は事実上、凍結されている。知事会は10月31日に事業認可の条件となる整備計画路線への格上げを求める特別決議を採択した。
The East Kyūshū route was part of the 1973 Shinkansen Master Plan, but has lain dormant since.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #405
quashlo

JR East finalizes name, deployment plan for new E6 series

Official JR East press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121105.pdf

The fastest services running with the E6 will be known as Super Komachi, running first at 300 km/h but later speeding up to 320 km/h starting at the end of FY2013.

Four E6 sets will enter service on the Tōhoku / Akita Shinkansen in March 2013, running four roundtrips between Tōkyō and Akita, with a cumulative total of 24 sets entering service by spring 2014.

New logo.
The red waves are supposed to represent the wind blowing at 320 km/h, shaped in the silhouette of Ono Komachi, a famous poet who was allegedly born In the Akita area.

HD clips of E6 testing on zairaisen tracks from 2012.07:

Old November 7th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #406
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Are the new E6s 'free' gauge trains?
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #407
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

No. E6 is narrow body (2,945m, E5 series is 3,35m width) standard gauge train. Projected and build for mini-shinkansen route.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #408
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Also referring back to earlier posts:
That also leads to the fact that an E6 (actually all mini-Shinkansen trains) would fit in the European loading gauge. To bad that up to now no European railway had the gutts to actually do that.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #409
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63121

Loading gauge is not an issue anyway, if a European railway buys the Shinkansen the Japanese railway industry can easily design a train that can be used on the European tracks.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #410
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Although there is a valid concern about competitiveness of any tender as adjustments can be costly, however you are right that Japan can easily do it, and once the ball is rolling it won't be a long term concern.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #411
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

JR has proved exterior adjustments are easily feasible for foreign contracts, as they modified the head of the 700T (Shortened it and maximized the "duckbill" look) in response to European attributes (nose can be shortened and passenger volume increased because tunnel bore diameter is larger, which mitigates tunnel boom). I guess that would be why JR is partnering with THSR for international markets; "if we can do it, you can do it, too."
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #412
quashlo

Sumitomo, Nippon Sharyō receive order for 130 railcars for Amtrak
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T121107004047.htm

Quote:
Major trading house Sumitomo Corp. said Wednesday it has received an order for semi-high-speed passenger trains chiefly from the California Transportation Department.

The double-decker passenger trains will be produced by Nippon Sharyo U.S.A. Inc., a U.S. subsidiary of train manufacturer Nippon Sharyo Ltd.

A total of 130 trains will be delivered to California, as well as Illinois, Michigan and Missouri under a joint procurement agreement among the states between 2015 and 2018.

The 352 million dollars deal has an option to order 300 more trains, which would bring the overall value of the contract to about 1.25 billion dollars.
A little more detail on this one, since the Japanese firms involved have now finally issued their press releases. Here’s the one from Nippon Sharyō:
http://www.n-sharyo.co.jp/topics/tp121107.pdf

These are bilevel semi-HSR railcars for Amtrak. The contract value is approx. ¥28 billion, and these cars will be produced out of Nippon Sharyō’s new plant in Rochelle, Illinois.

Of the 130-car order, 42 cars will be for Caltrans (California Department of Transportaiton) for use on Amtrak California routes (Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, and Pacific Surfliner). The remaining 88 cars are for state transportation agencies in the Midwest covering nine corridors surrounding Chicago:

Chicago – Dubuque
Chicago – Iowa
Chicago – Quincy
Chicago – Grand Rapids
Chicago – Port Huron
Chicago – Pontiac
Chicago – Carbondale
Chicago – St. Louis
St. Louis – Kansas City

Render:

Old November 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #413
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Is that a DMU or just carriages?

Why couldn't they at least make the front pretty, damnit
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #414
quashlo

Just carriages.
That's pretty much the standard look for bilevel commuter / intercity cars in the U.S.
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #415
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

^ ^ Do the companies not produce their own in-house designs?
Why are they not applied to US railways?

I'm trying to figure out why the US seems to get the ugliest trains possible, at every chance.
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #416
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
I'm trying to figure out why the US seems to get the ugliest trains possible, at every chance.
Probably because of the US over the top passenger rail safety regulations virtually making any passenger cart a tank on rail.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #417
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

That's not just in the US. The newest EU TSI's demands increased crashwortiness that has already resulted in 2 'beauties': the AnsaldoBreda V250 and the Siemens Velaro D.

In fact I think the tapered front of these railcars looks a lot better than the flat fronts of previous models, but we haven't seen a real live one yet.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #418
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Even then, it's not too hard to work with those standards to make good styling, like those front windows needn't be so hideous, or they could give the pront a tiny slope. (It's possible to do that with the gangways too, the Siemens Desiro used by ScotRail has this)
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #419
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Also referring back to earlier posts:
That also leads to the fact that an E6 (actually all mini-Shinkansen trains) would fit in the European loading gauge. To bad that up to now no European railway had the gutts to actually do that.
I get the impression that Shinkansen trains are optimized so specifically for the Shinkansen operating environment that instead of adapting them to work elsewhere it's easier to design high speed trains specifically for export, something Japanese manufacturers are already doing.

Kawasaki are developing a high speed train for export markets called efSET.

The Class 395 "Javelin" trains used for domestic services on High Speed 1 in the UK were built by Hitachi, based on Shinkansen technologies.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #420
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
The Class 395 "Javelin" trains used for domestic services on High Speed 1 in the UK were built by Hitachi, based on Shinkansen technologies.
Based on A-Train, not Shinkansen.