daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #541
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

As far I know no HST in the world has compartments, with the exception of a few compartments (usually in business class cars) of some HSTs, like in Italy and Germany (in this latter case also in second class cars of ICE 1 sets).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #542
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

There are compartments on the JR West Hikari Railstars:

http://blog-imgs-36.fc2.com/r/e/n/re...2230752962.jpg

http://blog-imgs-36.fc2.com/r/e/n/re...22308054a9.jpg
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #543
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I see.

In the film Inception, the bullets train featured in the movie were the JR 500 as well as a 700 Series I think. So the dream extraction scene during the very first part of the film was really done on-board one of those trains?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #544
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I see.

In the film Inception, the bullets train featured in the movie were the JR 500 as well as a 700 Series I think. So the dream extraction scene during the very first part of the film was really done on-board one of those trains?
There were two shots of the train in Inception. One was a pass between a 700系 and a 500系. The second shot was of a 700系 crossing a river, implying that they were on the 700系.

However, as filmmaking goes, just because they had an exterior shot of the 700系 doesn't mean they actually shot on-board one. In terms of the plot, compartments were necessary because the setting had to be private enough for Cobb and his team to "break into" Saito's mind without others noticing.

On a completely unrelated tangent, did anyone make the connection that the reason why Cobb's line, "besides, I don't like trains...", was because of his wife? Ordinarily this would've been a simple tongue-in-cheek to the state of America's passenger rail service, but since we're on the Shinkansen, it's a nice little snippet that makes the film so special.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #545
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Politicians debate scope of JR Central-backed environmental work for Texas HSR project
http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/01...ail-study.html

More news on JR Central’s interest in the Texas project…
Although I don't live in Ft. Worth, Houston or Dallas I think this is a great idea. I hope it doesn't turn into nothing.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #546
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Fuji City pushes to designate Shin-Fuji a Hikari stop
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/shi...OYT8T01085.htm

Quote:
 今年6月に可否が決まる富士山の世界文化遺産登録を見据え、富士市と同市議会、富士商工会議所は、首都圏などからの観光客を呼び込もうと、新幹線「ひかり」の新富士駅停車をJR東海に要望する。2月6日に、鈴木尚・富士市長や稲葉寿利・同市議会議長らが同社新幹線鉄道事業本部(東京都中央区)を訪れる予定だ。

富士市は、新富士駅を首都圏や中京関西圏などからの富士山観光の玄関口と位置付けているが、現在、同駅には各駅停車の「こだま」が1時間に2本程度停車するだけ。富士登山者をはじめとする同駅利用者の中には、東京や新大阪を「ひかり」で出発したのに、わざわざ途中駅で「こだま」に乗り換えて利用する人もいるという。

利便性向上により観光客を呼び込もうと考える富士市は、これまでもJR側に「ひかり」停車を要望してきた。だが、JR側は「現状でも複雑な新幹線ダイヤを再編成するのは困難」として、難色を示されてきたという。

基幹産業である製紙業の低迷もあり、市は「富士山の世界文化遺産登録に合わせて『ひかり』停車を実現し、富士山観光の拡大をはかりたい」(企画課)としている。一方、小田急電鉄の新宿駅とJR御殿場線の御殿場駅を結ぶ特急「あさぎり」についても、延伸を要望する。

富士市は「富士宮市も含めて富士山観光を盛り上げたい」としており、東海道線富士駅経由で、身延線富士宮駅までのあさぎりの延伸を両市で働きかけていく考えだ。

富士山の世界文化遺産登録を見据え、「ひかり」停車が期待される新富士駅
A decision on whether to make Mt. Fuji a World Heritage Site will be made this June, and Fuji City, the Fuji City City Council, and the Fuji Chamber of Commerce and Industry are petitioning JR Central to make Shin-Fuji a Hikari stop in an effort to bring visitors from Greater Tōkyō and other parts of Japan to the area. Currently, only Kodama services (2 tph) serve the station. Of course, JR Central is not very receptive to the proposal, as they would have to drastically change their train schedules, which are heavily weighted toward Nozomi services. Apparently, Fuji City will also request an extension of the Asagiri limited express service operated between central Tōkyō (Odakyū Shinjuku Station) and Gotenba Station on the JR Gotenba Line.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #547
quashlo

Hitachi interested in building trainsets for new high-speed projects in UK
http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/up...-speed-trains/

Quote:
The next generation of high speed trains could be built in the North East after Hitachi confirmed it was interested in bidding for the contract.

The government has announced plans to build high speed lines from Birmingham to Manchester and Leeds. Trains will continue at a slower speed further north.

Hitachi is building a new factory in Newton Aycliffe to make trains, creating more than 700 jobs.

A spokesman today said the Japanese firm's interest in the high speed contract was "extremely strong." She said high speed rail was an "interesting project" that the new factory would be "well placed" to be part of.
Not holding my breath… Hopefully this turns out a bit better than the current IEP mess.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #548
quashlo

JR Central to begin major rehab of Tōkaidō Shinkansen structures in April
http://www.nikkei.com/markets/kigyo/...29012013TJ1000

Quote:
 東海旅客鉄道(JR東海)は29日、東海道新幹線の橋梁やトンネルの大規模改修を5年前倒しして今年4月に始めると発表した。工期は10年間。新工法の採用で費用を当初計画よりも約3割(3663億円)削減し、運行への影響もほぼなくす。震災への対応など交通インフラの維持管理の重要性が高まるなか、開業から約50年がたつ新幹線の経年劣化対策を急ぐ。

改修は東京―新大阪間(515キロメートル)のうち、鉄橋、コンクリート高架橋、トンネルの計約240キロメートルが対象。鉄橋は233カ所、トンネルは66カ所になる。1964年の開業以来、全面的な改修は初めて。従来は橋の架け替えなど大規模な改修を想定していたが、既存設備を補修して同等の強度を確保する自社開発の新工法を採用。改修費用も7308億円と従来計画(1兆971億円)より大幅に抑制する。

新工法は2002年から開発に本格着手し、既存設備の長寿命化に主眼を置いた。橋の改修では接合部分を補強する部材やコンクリート内部の鉄筋の腐食を防ぐコーティング材を採用。トンネルの改修では、地盤の隙間にモルタルを充填する工法を開発した。12年度に複数地点で試験的に導入して安全性を確認した。

改修中の営業運転への影響は早朝の徐行運転などにとどめる。従来計画では大規模な工事が1カ所で行われるたびに、1~2日間の全面運休が必要と見込まれていた。

同日、国土交通相に新幹線大規模改修に伴う引当金積み立て計画の変更を申請した。従来は17年まで積み立てを続ける予定だったのを3月に終えて改修工事に移る。計画の変更により、14年3月期は営業費用が683億円減少する見通し。

開業から約50年がたつ東海道新幹線の維持はJR東海の最重要課題で、従来の改修計画は02年に策定していた。東日本大震災や中央自動車道笹子トンネル(山梨県)の天井板崩落事故を受け、インフラの維持改修の重要性が改めて注目されており、JR東海も改修の前倒しに踏み切る。

同日発表した2012年4~12月期の連結決算は、純利益が前年同期比49%増の1827億円、売上高が7%増の1兆1995億円と、ともに過去最高だった。首都圏への観光が伸び新幹線の利用が好調だった。13年3月期通期の連結純利益は前期比41%増の1870億円、売上高は5%増の1兆5800億円と従来予想を据え置いた。
Pretty big news, as the original schedule had them starting five years from now, but they moved it forward and will begin this April. The upgrades will take 10 years, but through the use of new construction methods, JR Central will save about 30% (¥366.3 billion) off of the original estimated project cost, with negligible impacts to train service.

The rehab and retrofit will cover 240 km of the 515 km line between Tōkyō and Shin-Ōsaka, including 233 steel bridges, 66 tunnels, and 148 km of concrete viaducts. This marks the first major rehab of the line since it opened in 1964. The original plan called for a complete replacement of bridges, but instead, they will be retrofitting the existing structures to equivalent standards using a new construction method developed in-house, reducing the total project cost to ¥730.8 billion.

The new method was developed starting in 2004 and is aimed at extending the life of existing infrastructure… For bridges, they will strengthen bridge joints, replace and strengthen structural elements including beams and girders, and install additional sleepers. For concrete viaducts, they will apply protective layers of paint to the central slab, beams, and girders, and encase the cantilevered sectons and columns with steel plating. Additional beams will also be installed. For tunnels, they will fill cracks and open spaces behind the tunnel walls and install rock bolts and steel plates. Special coating materials will be used to prevent corrosion of steel reinforcement. JR Central has already tested these methods successfully in FY2012.

As far as impacts to train service, it will mostly be limited to some slowdowns during the very early hours of the day, which is a substantial improvement over the original proposal, which required shutting down service for 1-2 days for each major construction milestone. The reduction in project costs, as well as the recent incident with the Sasago Tunnel on the Chūō Expressway, have pushed JR Central to begin work immediately. JR Central revenues are reaching record highs (¥1.1995 trillion for the first three quarters of FY2012, a 7% year-over-year increase), which should soften the blow of the project on their overall balance sheet.

NTV video report (2013.01.29):
http://news24.jp/nnn/news86211953.html

N700A Unit G2 testing in the snow at Shin-Yokohama (2013.01.14):

Unit G3 at Shin-Ōsaka (2013.01.17):

Northridge, Swede, Equario liked this post
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #549
quashlo

Hitachi expresses interest in HS2 project
http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20130...20039000c.html

Quote:
 【ロンドン坂井隆之】英国政府は新高速鉄道「ハイスピード2(HS2)」の建設計画を発表した。欧州トップの最高時速400キロで走行し、総延長距離約565キロ、総工費327億ポンド(約4兆6430億円)の大型事業となる。英国の高速鉄道を巡っては、日本の日立製作所が既設区間の車両製造や整備を受注しており、日本企業にとっても大きな商機だ。

HS2は17年ごろ着工し、32〜33年開通を目指す。ロンドン・ユーストン駅からバーミンガムを経由して中部のマンチェスターとリーズをつなぐY字形の路線で、ロンドン−マンチェスター間を1時間短縮し、1時間8分で結ぶ。英政府は欧州大陸とロンドンを結ぶ整備済みの「HS1」とつながることで、「地域経済が活性化し経済成長のエンジンになる」(キャメロン首相)と期待する。

日立は、04年にHS1の車両174両の製造を受注した他、在来線の車両更新に伴う596両の製造も12年に受注しており、「当社にとっても前向きな話」(日立ヨーロッパ)と受注を目指す。新幹線技術の輸出を目指すJRも受注の候補に挙がりそうだ。ただ、一部議員や沿線地域からは、採算性や環境破壊への批判も出ており、計画通り実現するかは15年の下院選挙の結果にも左右されそうだ。

新高速鉄道HS2の予定路線図
A Japanese-language article on this, with a few more details.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:40 AM   #550
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
On a completely unrelated tangent, did anyone make the connection that the reason why Cobb's line, "besides, I don't like trains...", was because of his wife? Ordinarily this would've been a simple tongue-in-cheek to the state of America's passenger rail service, but since we're on the Shinkansen, it's a nice little snippet that makes the film so special.
I would say so, because they have to committee "suicides" on the track.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:13 AM   #551
quashlo

MLIT announces Shinkansen expansion investment schedule for FY2013

Press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000986419.pdf

Details:

Hokkaidō Shinkansen (Shin-Aomori – Shin-Hakodate): ¥100 billion
Hokkaidō Shinkansen (Shin-Hakodate – Sapporo): ¥6 billion
Hokuriku Shinkansen (Nagano – Kanazawa (Hakusan General Rolling Stock Center)): ¥125 billion
Hokuriku Shinkansen (Kanazawa (Hakusan General Rolling Stock Center) – Tsuruga): ¥8 billion
Kyūshū Shinkansen (Takeo Onsen – Nagasaki): ¥27 billion

Total: ¥266 billion
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #552
quashlo

Press-only test ride for N700A series
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...00C13A2CC0000/

Quote:
 JR東海は1日、東海道新幹線で8日にデビューする新型車両「N700A」の報道各社向け試乗会を東京―新大阪で行った。

N700をベースに安全、安定性を強化。ブレーキを改良し制動距離を約10%短縮したほか、速度信号に合わせて最適な運転をする定速走行装置を搭載、ダイヤの乱れをより短時間で回復する。

N700Aは、午前9時10分ごろ東京を出発。新横浜を過ぎた午前9時40分ごろ、運転士がアクセルを切って定速走行装置のスイッチを入れると、速度制限の上限である時速270キロ近くで自動運転を始めた。

外観は、横書きの「N700」の車両マーク背後に英語のAdvanced(進化)を表す「A」の文字を加えた。

1編成16両で全1323席。グリーン車の座席は落ち着きのある茶色で、普通車は開放感のある青色を採用している。N700ではグリーン車にしかなかった吸音床を全車両に装備し、より静かな客室になっている。〔共同〕

8日にデビューする東海道新幹線の新型車両「N700A」のロゴマーク(1日、JR東京駅)=共同

8日にデビューする東海道新幹線の新型車両「N700A」の普通車。開放感のある青色座席(1日)=共同
NHK video report:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...222041000.html

Less than one week until debut in revenue service (2013.02.08).
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #553
quashlo

Testing on Nagano – Shin-Kurobe section of Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to commence in December
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/ne...OYT1T00476.htm

Quote:
 2014年度末予定の北陸新幹線開業に向け、長野―新黒部(仮称)駅間での走行試験が12月をめどに始まることがわかった。

使用車両は未定だが、一足早く富山県内を走る新幹線の姿は注目を集めそうだ。

鉄道建設・運輸施設整備支援機構(鉄道・運輸機構)と県によると、走行試験は同機構とJR東日本、JR西日本が行う。降雪・積雪時に安全に走行できることを確認するのが目的で、開業前までに二冬にわたり実施する計画。詳しい時期は雪の降り具合にも左右されるが、同機構は「年内をめどに走行試験を開始する予定」としている。

同機構によると、北陸新幹線の県内区間で高架橋やトンネルなどの構造物は全て完成している。同機構は、新黒部駅までのレールや架線などの設備の工事を、走行試験の年内開始に間に合うように進める方針だ。北陸新幹線に使われる新型車両は今秋にも完成する予定だが、走行試験で新型車両を使うか、長野新幹線の車両を使うかはまだ決まっていないという。

北陸新幹線新型車両のイメージ(JR西日本提供)
They will have two winters to test the line in winter conditions and confirm it can operate fine during heavy snow. The new E7 sets are supposed to arrive this fall, but they have not said whether they plan to test with the E7 or the existing E2 sets. All of the construction in Nagano is finished, and the JRTT is aiming to finish the section up to Shin-Kurobe in time for the tests.

A “railwalk” event at Itoigawa (2012.12.02):

Aerial views of construction:

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #554
quashlo

JR East held some public test rides between Ōmiya and Sendai on the E6 series Super Komachi on 2013.02.02 and 2013.02.03. Units Z2 and Z3 were deployed for these duties, but the first mass-production unit (Unit S12) was also out testing, probably for crew training.

Clips:

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #555
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Sounds like it has DC motors!?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #556
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
Sounds like it has DC motors!?
Sound maybe, but the motors are MT207, three phase AC types, the same as on the E5.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #557
quashlo

Construction of station buildings at Shin-Hakodate Station and Kikonai Station to begin in April
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/hok...OYT8T00033.htm

Quote:
 2015年度に開業する北海道新幹線の新函館駅(仮称、北斗市)と木古内駅(木古内町)の駅舎建設工事が4月にも始まる見通しになった。建設主体の鉄道建設・運輸施設整備支援機構が8日、高谷寿峰・北斗市長に新函館駅舎の模型を使って概要や今後の日程を説明した。

新函館駅舎は鉄骨造り3階建てで、ガラス張りの外壁とするデザインが採用される。ホームは1階、改札口は2階に設置される。北斗市からの要望を受け、道南産の木材がコンコースの天井に使われるほか、かつて市内で生産されていたレンガも内装に使用される。

同機構は7日、大森伊佐緒・木古内町長にも、同様に木古内駅舎の模型を提示して概要を説明した。
Construction of the station buildings at Shin-Hakodate Station (Hakodate City) and Kikonai Station (Kikonai Town) on the first phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen will begin this April. Completion is schedule for March 2015, in preparation for the opening of the extension in March 2016.

Shin-Hakodate will be a three-story, 9,500 sq m structure with a glass exterior. Platforms will be on the first floor, with faregates on the second floor. After a request from Hokuto City, the concourse ceiling will use wood from southern Hokkaidō and the walls near the ticketing hall will feature bricks similar to those that used to be produced in Hokuto, which was the first city in Hokkaidō to produce bricks way back in the Meiji Period. Construction cost is ¥3.55 billion.

Kikonai Station will be a two-story, 4,200 sq m structure. Ceiling and window sills will use southern Hokkaidō cedar. Construction cost is ¥2.15 billion.

Clips of Hokkaidō Shinkansen under construction…

Ushirogata Viaduct in Aomori Prefecture (2012.11.04):

At Ōdai Station near the Tsugaru Kaikyō Line (2013.02.03):

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #558
quashlo

N700A enters revenue service

First day of revenue service was yesterday (2013.02.08).

Sankei News video report from Shin-Ōsaka Station:

Departure ceremony at Tōkyō Station:

Old February 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #559
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
First mass production E6 unit

Finally got some pictures from that press unveiling last week at the Shinkansen General Rolling Stock Center near Sendai:
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

The first mass production unit has been designated as Unit Z2. Formation is 5M2T, starting from Car 11 (car closest in the picture): E611-2 + E628-2 + E625-2 + E625-102 + E627-2 + E629-2 + E621+2. A total of 24 units will be introduced by spring FY2014.

Mostly looks the same as the prototype unit manufactured two years ago, but obviously, it’s got a big logo plastered on it.

Green car (Car 11). The reading lights embedded into the sides of the headrest in the prototype have been moved to a new location underneath the overhead bins.

Standard car (Car 13). They’ve completely removed the reading lights in the standard cars.

The doors between cars feature stencils of riceplants.

Multi-purpose restroom in Car 12.

timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #560
quashlo

Japan holds HSR seminar in Ahmedabad to market Shinkansen
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...439051000.html

Quote:
インドで高速鉄道を国内各地に建設する計画が進んでいることを受けて、日本の新幹線をインド政府にアピールするためのセミナーが西部の都市アーメダバードで開かれました。

インドは、国内7つの路線で高速鉄道を建設する計画を進めており、日本やフランスなど世界の企業が車両などの受注を巡って競争しています。
このうち、最も優先的に建設が進むとみられるインド西部のムンバイ~アーメダバード間の路線の受注を目指して、日本の国土交通省や鉄道会社などが11日、日本の新幹線をインド政府に売り込むセミナーをアーメダバードで開きました。
セミナーでは日本の鉄道会社や車両メーカーの担当者らがスライドなどを上映してインド鉄道省の幹部らに新幹線の高い安全性をアピールしたほか、日本の鉄道の最新技術の導入がインドの鉄道産業に与えるメリットなどを説明しました。
日本側の代表の梶山弘志国土交通副大臣は、「新幹線のよさをインドの人たちに理解してもらいたい」と述べ、今後も積極的な売り込みを図る考えを示しました。
インド政府は現在、高速鉄道の7つの路線の利用者数や経済効果などの予測調査を行っており、今後、建設計画が具体化すれば、日本を含めた各国企業の受注競争が一層激しさを増すものとみられます。
The article has a video report.
This is targeting the route between Mumbai and Ahmedabad, the highest priority of the seven routes under planning in India.