daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #701
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Groundbreaking soon for Oku-Tsugaru Station
鉄道・運輸機構、北海道新幹線奥津軽駅の工事に本格着手…6月4日に安全祈願祭

http://response.jp/article/2013/05/25/198695.html

In addition to the recent groundbreaking for Kikonai Station, a ceremony to pray for construction safety (安全祈願) for Oku-Tsugaru Station on the Hokkaidō Shinkansen was held on 2013.06.04, meaning that groundbreaking there should be just around the corner. This will be the only intermediate station between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate on the Honshū side, and will be constructed at the site of the current Tsugaru Imabetsu Station on the Tsugaru Kaikyō Line.

The station will cover 2,070 sq m GFA (including a connecting passage and elevator tower) and will be a 2 platform, 3-track design, with a platform length of 263 m (sounds like 12 cars max).

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #702
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I believe that was E6 trainset Z9 that was delivered this way, as shown by this picture from Wikipedia:

If this test proves successful, trainsets Z10 to Z24 could be delivered by train instead of by boat and truck trailer.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #703
quashlo

Names for three stations on Hokuriku Shinkansen announced
北陸新幹線の新駅、名前決まる 富山・新潟の3駅

http://www.asahi.com/business/update...306070031.html

JR West and JR East announced the final names for three new stations debuting with the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa opening in spring 2015:

Provisional name (location) → Final name

Jōetsu (Jōetsu City, Niigata Prefecture) → Jōetsu–Myōkō
Shin-Kurobe (Kurobe City, Toyama Prefecture) → Kurobe – Unazuki Onsen
Shin-Takaoka (Takaoka City, Toyama Prefecture) → Shin-Takaoka

The other stations on the extensions are all existing zairaisen stations, which means the station names for the entire extension have now been finalized:

Iiyama (Iiyama City, Nagano Prefecture)
Itoigawa (Itoigawa City, Niigata Prefecture)
Toyama (Toyama City, Toyama Prefecture)
Kanazawa (Kanazawa City, Ishikawa Prefecture)

In particular, Kurobe – Unazuki Onsen (黒部宇奈月温泉), at 13 kana in length, will become the longest Shinkansen station name in Japan, replacing Jōmō Kōgen (Minakami Town, Gunma Prefecture) on the Jōetsu Shinkansen and Kaminoyama Onsen (Kaminoyama City, Yamagata Prefecture) and Sakuranbo Higashine (Higashine City, Yamagata Prefecture) on the Yamagata Shinkansen, all three of which are 9 kana in length.

Video report:
http://www2.knb.ne.jp/news/20130607_36781.htm#
http://www2.knb.ne.jp/news/20130607_36786.htm#
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #704
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Awesome!
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #705
quashlo

Groundbreaking for Shin-Hakodate Station
「新函館駅」が本格着工...北斗

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/hok...OYT8T00029.htm

Groundbreaking ceremony for Hakodate’s Shinkansen station was held on 2013.06.15, marking the real start of construction on the station building. The station will be a three-story building, with faregates on 1F and 2F. The Shinkansen platforms will be on 1F. Estimated construction cost for the station is ¥3.7275 billion, with completion scheduled by June 2015.

Of course, the biggest question mark—regarding the final name of the station—still remains unanswered, and will remain so until about a year and half before the official opening of the extension from Shin-Aomori (i.e., autumn 2014).

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #706
quashlo

Hokuriku Shinkansen crew changes will take place at Nagano
北陸新幹線、長野-金沢はJR西が運転 運転手ら途中で乗務交代

http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...1122007-n1.htm

We maybe could have guessed this, but a couple of details emerged today regarding the operating plan for the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa. In particular, crew switches between JR East and JR West will take place at Nagano—a bit unusual given that the segment of the route from Nagano to Iiyama (Iiyama City, Nagano Prefecture) and Jōetsu Myōkō (Jōetsu City, Niigata Prefecture) will actually be under JR East’s administration. Usually, such crew changes for cross-territory services are made at the border stations between the two railways.

However, the two railways decided that Nagano was the optimal choice for crew changes, especially given that all trains will be stopping there. This likely means that only some trains will be stopping at Jōetsu Myōkō (like most local governments in this situation, Niigata Prefecture had been petitioning for all trains, but that now seems unlikely). Jōetsu Myōkō was built with a 4 cm clearance between railcar and platform edge, which is wider than the standard used at all-stop stations such as Nagano, Toyama, and Kanazawa, so this shouldn’t really come as a surprise.
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #707
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hello, I have two questions for japanese forumers:

- Is Chuo Shinkanshen already under construction or is in planning stage? I think that it is one of man made engineering highlights.

- How long before Tohoku Shinkansen reach Sapporo? I read in Wikipedia that until 2035 it's not reach Sapporo. Why? (the most difficult section, Seikan Tunnel will open in 2016, for this reason I ask)
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #708
Erick Satoh
OnlyEasyDayWasYesterday

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I believe that was E6 trainset Z9 that was delivered this way, as shown by this picture from Wikipedia:

If this test proves successful, trainsets Z10 to Z24 could be delivered by train instead of by boat and truck trailer.
if is possible i wish anyone give a info for schedule when will be the next delivery for some pics im near of Inazawa station i love to take some pics
Erick Satoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #709
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Satoh View Post
if is possible i wish anyone give a info for schedule when will be the next delivery for some pics im near of Inazawa station i love to take some pics
You'll have to pick up a copy of the monthly magazine Tetsudou Daiya Jouhou, which goes on sale on the 15th of every month. It gives info about all movements.

There is also a cellphone service pitanori daiya jouhou that gives updates. It costs 314 yen to join. I can't vouch for it as I have never used it.

http://pitanori.com/dj/reg/join_all.php?BackURL=

*additional INFO (time sensitive):
I just purchased the latest issue of DJ magazine, and there will be a delivery of an E6 trainset June 21 (this Friday). The trainset is due at Inazawa Station at 19:20 (evening), and will depart same station at 21:52, bound for Akita via the Tokaido/Takasaki/Joetsu/Uetsu Lines. If you want to see it in the daylight hours, you have to go to Kansai earlier in the day, or the following morning in Numazu (6:56) and points toward Tokyo.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; June 18th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #710
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hello, I have two questions for japanese forumers:

- Is Chuo Shinkanshen already under construction or is in planning stage? I think that it is one of man made engineering highlights.

- How long before Tohoku Shinkansen reach Sapporo? I read in Wikipedia that until 2035 it's not reach Sapporo. Why? (the most difficult section, Seikan Tunnel will open in 2016, for this reason I ask)
The Chuo Shinkansen is currently being built.

The Hokkaido Shinkansen is as of now projected to be extended as far as Sapporo in 2035. This is due to budget constraints. If more money is budgeted, than likely it can completed faster. The Seikan tunnel portion was already built (the tunnel was built to HSR standards), it was just a matter of building the approach tracks to the tunnel.

javimix19 liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #711
quashlo

HSR feasibility study for Mumbai – Ahmedabad corridor to begin in September
JICA理事長、インド新幹線「9月にも事業化調査」

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1EE8000/

Tanaka Asahiko, director of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), held a press conference in New Delhi on his visit to India, announcing that he hopes to commission a feasibility study for the Mumbai – Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor in September, completing the work in a year or a year and a half.
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #712
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Nice pics!
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #713
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Speaking of the E6 trainset, has there been any talk about what will replace the E3 trainsets now running on the Yamagata Shinkansen line? Or are the E3-2000 trainsets too new to be replaced until at least 2020?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #714
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

More E6 sets, if I recall correctly.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #715
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
HSR feasibility study for Mumbai – Ahmedabad corridor to begin in September
JICA理事長、インド新幹線「9月にも事業化調査」

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1EE8000/

Tanaka Asahiko, director of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), held a press conference in New Delhi on his visit to India, announcing that he hopes to commission a feasibility study for the Mumbai – Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor in September, completing the work in a year or a year and a half.
It is said the nation that performs the feasibility study of a high speed corridor usually has, ahem, fast "track" in winning contracts on construction and operation of said corridor, so this is good news for Japanese companies.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #716
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
More E6 sets, if I recall correctly.
Another opinion I have read is that E3 sets will continue to be used on the Yamagata Shinkansen for the foreseeable future, as the full shinkansen line south of Fukushima does not require running above 275km/h to maintain an optimal service schedule*. The 320km/h capable E6, therefore, would be an unnecessarily-expensive "over-spec" addition to this service.

*remember, the mantra of efficient rail service is "as fast as necessary, not as fast as possible".
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #717
Erick Satoh
OnlyEasyDayWasYesterday

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
*additional INFO (time sensitive):
I just purchased the latest issue of DJ magazine, and there will be a delivery of an E6 trainset June 21 (this Friday). The trainset is due at Inazawa Station at 19:20 (evening), and will depart same station at 21:52, bound for Akita via the Tokaido/Takasaki/Joetsu/Uetsu Lines. If you want to see it in the daylight hours, you have to go to Kansai earlier in the day, or the following morning in Numazu (6:56) and points toward Tokyo.
wow almost 3 hours, im going there definitely after my work shift, its raining since tuesday here plus i dont have a pro camera but i will post here some pics
thanks for the info

Swede liked this post
Erick Satoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #718
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

[QUOTE=k.k.jetcar;104399835]The Chuo Shinkansen is currently being built.

I have a question on Chuo Shinkansen:

- Is this maglev line necessary for Japan? There is already a High Speed Line between Tokyo and Osaka, (the oldest HSL in the world already).
How much it costs this maglev line?

Japan is the third economy in the world, but now it suffers some stagnation (since the 90's), so Japan can it pays this expensive line?
The only maglev line in the world is Shangai Airport line, but the chinese don't see the money because they are not a democracy and they can do what they want whithout explications to their citizens.

Thank you.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #719
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

If you check the current timetable for Tokaido Shinkansen you will understand the scale of demand on that line. And it's increasing, so in 10-20 years the line will be way over its capacity. A new line, preferably a even faster one, is highly needed.

As far as I remember, the line will be privately financed (at least partly) and I think Japan is probably the only country in the world where it actually makes sense to build such a line. No one in Japan expects it to generate profit 10 years after completion. It's a very long term investment.
Besides, there already exists a test section of the maglev shinkansen which will become a part of the future new route.

The stagnation in Japan is totally different from the crisis in Spain, Italy or Greece. In fact, the country needs new investments to boost up the economy and I think maglev is a good option. Although I'm more concerned about the electricity supply when they want to shut down all the nuclear power plants permanently. But well, we'll see.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #720
k.k.jetcar

As Asahi says, the Chuo Shinkansen (maglev) line is a relief route for the current Tokaido Shinkansen. Once the maglev line is up and running, the number of fastest Nozomi services on the Tokaido Shinkansen will be reduced, freeing up the operating diagram for more Hikari and Kodama services that serve the smaller intermediate stations on the route. Essentially, the maglev will be like a flight level zero airliner, while the conventional shinkansen service will emphasize more its role as a linking service along the corridor, like a string of beads.