daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #741
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

The Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka used to be a LOT slower, but the arrival of the N700 and N700A trainsets has tremendously reduced transit times, especially since the N700's faster acceleration and the ability to "tilt" one degree into curves has increased travel speed even east of Mishima Station.

The original 0 Series trainsets took about about 3 hour 10 minutes between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka; the current N700/N700A trainset does it in 2 hours 25 minutes. When I rode the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto in 1985, I remember it was kind of slow going from Tokyo to Shin-Yokohama, then started to get faster after that, then it was running at full speed after Atami until the train arrived at Nagoya.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #742
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

What's interesting to consider is that back when the fastest services didn't stop at Shin-Yokohama, down trains were cleared for 270km/h running just before Shin-Yokohama. Now all trains stop in Shin-Yokohama, but run on faster schedules than when they passed through.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #743
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

J-TREC to expand Shinkansen production capabilities in preparation for Hokuriku Shinkansen order
総合車両製作所、北陸新幹線の車両生産工場増強-60両5編成受注

http://www.nikkan.co.jp/news/nkx0120...tml?news-t0626

The former Tōkyū Car Company plant in Kanazawa Ward, Yokohama City, now owned by JR East, will be producing its first Shinkansen rolling stock in ten years, and J-TREC will be expanding production capabilities to meet the order for 60 cars (5 12-car sets) for the Hokuriku Shinkansen. These will be E7 series sets for JR East (the other sets will be produced by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Hitachi). JR West’s W7 series sets will be produced by Kawasaki, Hitachi, and Kinki Sharyō. Production for the new trains at the J-TREC plant will begin in July. By year’s end, they plan to move the paint plant to accommodate the longer Shinkansen trains, as well as introduce automated welding machines and numerical control routers (cutting machines). JR East hopes to strengthen its in-house Shinkansen manufacturing capabilities to meet domestic, and potentially foreign, demand for high-speed trains.

Svartmetall liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM   #744
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Question:

If the gauge-change trains prove effective, will they restore the mini-Shinkansen back to narrow gauge? I imagine that it would be very helpful for system inter-connectivity.

Also, what other routes are they planning to operate with the new GCT?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:32 AM   #745
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Why wouldn't it be effective? If gauge-change trains work perfectly in several countries (like for instance Spain) why wouldn't they in Japan?

Last edited by M-NL; July 2nd, 2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed space
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:55 PM   #746
quashlo

Design of Shin-Takaoka Station station plaza unveiled
新高岡 駅前広場、公園 地元の素材で落ち着き演出

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/to...202000043.html

At a July 1 regular press conference, the mayor of Takaoka City unveiled the design of the new North Exit station plaza and South Exit park at Shin-Takaoka Station, the city’s new Shinkansen station to open with the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa. The color scheme for the station plaza and canopied path will be subdued, blending with the station building’s light brown, intended to be reminiscent of Takaoka’s cast metal industry. The design will also make use of locally-produced products such as aluminum, but will use simple shapes to enhance the appearance of the station building. The South Exit park and open space will include lawns, fountains, and a small stream to emphasize the Hietsunō region’s natural resources. Grading and other earthwork for both projects will begin in July, with completion in time for the spring 2015 opening of the Shinkansen extension.

javimix19 liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #747
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Why wouldn't it be effective? If gauge-change trains work perfectly in several countries (like for instance Spain) why wouldn't they in Japan?
Japan is trying to have it's trains run faster, and change gauge at higher speeds. It's a "next-generation" design of technology.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:22 AM   #748
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Question:

If the gauge-change trains prove effective, will they restore the mini-Shinkansen back to narrow gauge? I imagine that it would be very helpful for system inter-connectivity.

Also, what other routes are they planning to operate with the new GCT?
Given that the current mini-shinkansen routes are not big generators of local traffic (AFAIK- they are in rural Tohoku), I don't think the expense of converting back to 1067mm as well as building more expensive gauge variable HS trainsets is worth it. Also, trains can't run faster than 130km/h on these lines, regardless of gauge.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM   #749
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Japan is trying to have it's trains run faster, and change gauge at higher speeds. It's a "next-generation" design of technology.
Running faster isn't going to be a problem. Changing gauge faster is going to be a real challenge, but why would you want to? Converting the entire infrastructure would be way more expensive and limiting and having people change trains would take a lot more time. If you change gauge at the entry/exit of stations at around 25-40 km/h why would that be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Also, trains can't run faster than 130km/h on these lines, regardless of gauge.
That's not because of technical limits (you could run 200 km/h on narrow gauge), but because of the rules limiting speed at level crossings. But eliminating level crossings is, again, very expensive and not worth it.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #750
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
That's not because of technical limits (you could run 200 km/h on narrow gauge), but because of the rules limiting speed at level crossings. But eliminating level crossings is, again, very expensive and not worth it.
Yes, all trains are required to stop within 600m if there is an obstruction at a grade crossing. 600m is shortest distance that a train can stop safely from 130km/h (i.e. without causing injuries to passengers riding the train).
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #751
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

But Shinkanshens and Mini-Shinkanshens have grade-crossings? I don't think that isn't?

Normally HSR are fenced to avoid any people or animal to enter to the railway.

Sorry if is my misunderstanding.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #752
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
But Shinkanshens and Mini-Shinkanshens have grade-crossings? I don't think that isn't?

Normally HSR are fenced to avoid any people or animal to enter to the railway.

Sorry if is my misunderstanding.
Full shinkansen lines are completely grade separated. Mini shinkansen routes are merely 1067mm gauge lines that have been converted to standard gauge (1435mm) with minimal ROW improvement.

Somewhere on the Akita shinkansen ("mini-shinkansen") line:

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #753
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

And other question today :

- Is Kyushu Shinkansen (Nagasaki Route) under construction? I read in Wikipedia that this section is not built until 2023. It is very difficult line to built? we're speaking to 10 years.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #754
quashlo

Schedule changes to Tōhoku, Akita Shinkansen to take effect 2013.09.28
JR東日本、9/28ダイヤ改正でE6系&E5系追加! はやぶさ・スーパーこまち増発

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/05/191/

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130709.pdf

JR East announced that they will implement schedule changes to the Tōhoku and Akita Shinkansen starting 2013.09.28, taking advantage of the continued rollout of E5 and E6 series onto these lines.

In particular, for the Akita Shinkansen, they will introduce another 4 E6 series sets into revenue service (total fleet will be 13 sets), allowing them to convert three E3 series Komachi roundtrips to E6 series Super Komachi roundtrips. An additional Komachi roundtrip will also be operated with E6 sets, so that 10 of 15 roundtrips on the Akita Shinkansen will be operated with E6 series. E6s will also be introduced onto two additional Hayate services (Tōkyō – Morioka), four additional Yamabiko services (Tōkyō – Sendai), and four additional Nasuno services (Tōkyō – Nasu Shiobara), all coupled with E5 series sets. Currently, only 14 departures from Tōkyō Station are currently operated as E5 + E6 formations, but this will now increase to 32 departures.

Current schedule:

Code:
                E6  E3  TOTAL
                ==  ==  =====
Super Komachi    4         4
Komachi          2   9    11
=============   ==  ==  =====
TOTAL            6   9    15
Revised schedule:

Code:
                E6  E3  TOTAL
                ==  ==  =====
Super Komachi    7         7
Komachi          3   5     8
=============   ==  ==  =====
TOTAL           10   5    15
For the Tōhoku Shinkansen, they will introduce another 4 E5 series sets into revenue service (total fleet will be 28 sets), allowing them to convert three Hayate + Komachi roundtrips between Tōkyō and Shin-Aomori to E5 + E6 series Hayabusa + Super Komachi formations (speed increase from 275 km/h to 300 km/h). In addition, E5s will also be deployed onto one additional Hayate service (Tōkyō – Morioka), 13 additional Yamabiko services (5 Tōkyō – Morioka and 8 Tōkyō – Sendai), and 2 additional Nasuno services (Tōkyō – Kōriyama). Of the 167 Tōhoku Shinkansen departures from Tōkyō Station, 86 (about 50%) will now be operated with E5 series trains.
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #755
sacto7654

In short, the slow phase out of the E3 Shinkansen trainset from the Akita Sbinkansen has begun....
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #756
quashlo

Slow? I would have figured people thought it was (too) fast. The E6s only entered service in March of this year, and by March of next year, there will be no more E3s on the Akita Shinkansen.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #757
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

One other question: I've seen videos of 2 coupled E4 sets. Now that they're phasing out the E4's (they're 'slow' and people supposedly don't like their interior), what are they going to do to replace them? You can't couple 2 E5 sets (too long for the platforms) and even if you could, the capacity of the duo E4 is still higher. Same goes for E2 sets. Or have they increased the other services enough that double deckers aren't needed anymore?
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #758
sacto7654

M-NL, the current plan for phasing out the E4's won't happen until 2016. I personally think due to platform design of stations along the Jōetsu Shinkansen currently, JR East may just do a major refurbishment like they did with the 200 Series within the next few years to extend the life of the E4's to around 2022 or so. That is unless JR East plans to move most of the E2's now running on the Tōhoku Shinkansen to the Jōetsu Shinkansen.
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #759
k.k.jetcar

The plan is to cascade E2 units off the Tohoku Shinkansen line as more E5 units are deployed. This ties in well with retiring the E4 formations in 2016/2017, as M-NL mentions they are not particularly popular with passengers, and their capacity is not required past Echigo Yuzawa (a market that I believe is shrinking, as the skiing/snowboarding population drops). Having only E2's as the workhorse trainsets also simplifies passenger ticketing as well as replacement services in cases of cancelled trains.

There is another concern once the Hokuriku Shinkansen is opened as well as possibly more trains are run on the Tohoku Shinkansen to Hokkaido- that's capacity constraints between Tokyo and Omiya. Some E2 formations may have to be combined to fit in the daiya pathings, with splitting occuring at Takasaki- with one being an Asama service, and the other a Toki service. AFAIK E4 units are not configured to couple with E2 formations.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; July 8th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #760
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
And other question today :

- Is Kyushu Shinkansen (Nagasaki Route) under construction? I read in Wikipedia that this section is not built until 2023. It is very difficult line to built? we're speaking to 10 years.
I'm not sure if actual construction has begun. It seems at least contractors have been selected.

The time line seems normal. We're talking about a line where funding is likely doled piecemeal. It's interesting to note the route is called the "Kyushu Shinkansen West Kyushu Route", to give it more of a regional flavor rather than giving the impression of being a pet project for Nagasaki egos.