daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #761
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Construction is already well underway... For the 67.0 km Takeo Onsen – Nagasaki section (full Shinkansen standard track), they have already allocated ¥55.32 billion (11.1%) of the total ¥500.0 billion cost (through FY2012).

Construction progress (as of end of March 2013):

Code:
                        Length   Work Has
Jurisdiction /                   Begun on
Segment                  (km)      (km)
=====================   ======   ======== 
Saga Prefecture         17.750     9.759  (55.0%)

Nagasaki Prefecture     49.251    17.676  (35.9%)
  Higashi-Sonogi Town    8.365     7.917  (94.6%)
  Ōmura City            14.310     2.863  (20.0%)
  Isahaya City          12.325     2.996  (24.3%)
  Nagasaki City         14.251     3.900  (27.4%)

Entire route            67.001    27.435  (40.9%)
Some pictures from October of last year in Higashi-Sonogi:
Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/prefna1991/

The section between Shin-Tosu and Takeo Onsen will be zairaisen (existing narrow-gauge) track on the Nagasaki Main Line and Sasebo Line. The key construction work there will be the double-tracking of the Sasebo Line between Hizen Yamagauchi and Takeo Onsen, which will only begin in 2016 at the earliest.

javimix19, ko7, smfarazm.. liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #762
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I believe there are 53 operational E2 trainsets now in service, mostly on the Tōhoku and Nagano lines, with a small number on the Jōetsu line. I think one very likely possibility is that when the E4's retire, E2's displaced from the Tōhoku line will replace all the E4's, and I wouldn't be surprised that Hokuriku Shinkansen terminates at Omiya instead of Tokyo to reduce traffic load on Omiya-Ueno-Tokyo segment. By the time the Hokuriku Shinkansen line fully opens to Kanazawa, the Tōhoku Jūkan Line would have been open for some time, so passengers that need to take the Hokuriku Shinkansen could travel from as far away as Yokohama back to Omiya on limited express trains to take the Hokuriku Shinkansen train.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #763
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

This is all 2ch and Yahoo Chiebukuro-type speculation, but I would think if any trains were to terminate at Omiya, it would be Joetsu Shinkansen line trains. I seriously doubt JR East would take the shine off their new Hokuriku Shinkansen services (not to mention dashing the hopes of JR West and all the cities on the Japan Sea) by having the indignity of forcing passengers off at Omiya.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #764
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Two questions:

Any news on the rolling stock for the West Kyushu line? Are they going to build something new? Order more of existing designs?

Also, regarding traffic in Tokyo, are there any plans to expand capacity? Will they build the line to Shinjuku? If so will it extend further? What will the stops be?

Might they expand further in the Omiya-Ueno-Tokyo-Shinagawa-Yokohama corridor? Through-running in Tokyo station would improve efficiencies to allow deadhead movements to move to yards without reversing. The stretch of track north of Akabane along the Saikyo line has room for expansion to quad-track. Could this be implemented?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #765
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

This is all 2ch and Yahoo Chiebukuro-type speculation, but I would think if any trains were to terminate at Omiya, it would be Joetsu Shinkansen line trains. I seriously doubt JR East would take the shine off their new Hokuriku Shinkansen services (not to mention dashing the hopes of JR West and all the cities on the Japan Sea) by having the indignity of forcing passengers off at Omiya.
Actually, ending the Jōetsu Shinkansen at Omiya Station once the full Hokuriku Shinkansen opens makes more sense, since traffic levels between Tokyo and Nagano are going to increase quite a lot--not only with E2 trainsets, but the new E7/W7 trainsets. The new Tōhoku Jūkan Line may make it possible to run limited express trains from Yokohama that only stops at Shinagawa, Tokyo, and Ueno Stations to serve Jōetsu Shinkansen riders starting at Omiya.
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #766
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

- How is affected the construction of the Hokkaido Shinkansen on Seikan Tunnel? The tunnel is close now to trains or the works are doing with conventional trains doing the recorride.

- When first phase of this Hokkaido Shinkansen finish how much time will cost to go between tokyo and Sapporo?

Seikan tunnel actually is the largest railwail tunnel in the world (until Gothard Base Tunnel is open), I consider one of the greatest man made engineering.

- I don't know how the japanese engineers have done the works in this tunnel, is difficult to understand to me. It's a great work of engineering.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #767
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

On the first one, then I'm pretty sure that the traffic is running as normal, and they do whatever work needed between trains/nights. But seeing that the tunnel is built with Shinkansen traffic in mind then there isn't that much to do. Just add the 3:rd rail and upgrade whatever is needed to the latest standards.

javimix19 liked this post
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #768
quashlo

Work begins on vertical circulation buildings at Jōetsu–Myōkō Station
北陸新幹線上越妙高駅の東西口の施設に着工

http://www.joetsutj.com/archives/52040696.html

These are the new facilities housing elevators and escalators at the new Jōetsu–Myōkō Station—currently Wakinoda (脇野田) Station (Jōetsu City, Niigata Prefecture)—on the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa, and will be connected to the station building currently being constructed by the Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (JRTT). A special ceremony to pray for safety during construction was held on 2013.07.10 at the future location of the East Exit station plaza.

The East Exit building will feature a glass-block domed ceiling, designed to be reminiscent of snowflakes during the day and Oriental lamps (andon 行燈) during the night, and will feature a 170 m long gangway.

The West Exit building will feature an observation deck with views towards Mt. Myōkō (妙高山).

The station building itself is about 78% complete (as of end of June), and they have finished the exterior. They are now working on the interior, with completion scheduled for February of next year. Test runs on the Shinkansen extension are expected to begin this December.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #769
quashlo

JR Central to replace faregates at Tōkaidō Shinkansen stations

Official press release:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001254.html

The automatic faregates at Tōkaidō Shinkansen stations are approaching the end of their 10-year life cycle, and JR Central has announced that they will introduce newer models with several new features to improve the passenger experience. In particular, the new faregates feature LCD screens with improved visibility, as well as a lighting system to guide passengers to take their ticket as they exit the faregate (sort of like runway lighting). The new gates are also slightly slimmer than the existing models, increasing the gate clearance by as much as 4 cm.

All 295 faregates at all 17 stations on the line will be replaced, starting with Shinagawa Station in the first half of FY2014, followed by a gradual rollout at the remaining stations between the latter half of FY2014 and the first half of FY2016. Estimated cost is approx. ¥5.2 billion.

Existing and new

Svartmetall, smfarazm.. liked this post
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #770
quashlo

What the 1972 Shinkansen Master Plan might look like at build-out.
Click for larger size.

loefet, FML liked this post
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #771
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

I note that though it avoids a bottleneck at Tokyo, it still incorporates a bottleneck at Osaka.
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #772
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
I note that though it avoids a bottleneck at Tokyo, it still incorporates a bottleneck at Osaka.
I would think the market for intercity passengers in western Japan and southern Hokuriku avoiding the Kansai region is very small.
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #773
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I would think the market for intercity passengers in western Japan and southern Hokuriku avoiding the Kansai region is very small.
Yes, as long as the railways out of Osaka are intact. In 1995, they were not.
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #774
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Yes, as long as the railways out of Osaka are intact. In 1995, they were not.
Building a HSL just as a bypass route in case of an emergency is "boondoggle" territory. The existing zairaisen lines are adequate.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #775
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
What the 1972 Shinkansen Master Plan might look like at build-out.
Click for larger size.
Love the image, have been looking for one of these for a while, and only found small useless ones. So thank you!!

But shouldn't there be one dotted line between Fukushima and Akita, via Yamagata? Which instead seems to have become the mini-shinkansen routes today.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #776
quashlo

You're correct, but I've "tempered" the plan somewhat with what's already been built. The original plan called for full-standard Shinkansen from Fukushima to Akita via Yamagata, but what we have right now is mini-Shinkansen branches of the Tōhoku Shinkansen running on regauged / dual-gauge zairaisen track.

Between Shinjō and Ōmagari, it's less than 100 km (98.4 km to be exact) on the Ōu Main Line, about 80 km as the crow flies, so who knows what they would do to "complete" this segment of the plan... The passenger market won't be very big (train service on this segment of the Ōu Main Line is hourly at best, and even then, with huge gaps), so it seems like they could get away with just some double-tracking in strategic locations to allow for passes and maybe some new standard-gauge tunnels (between Izumita 泉田 and Yokobori 横堀, for example). In the end, I got tired (lazy?) of thinking about it, so I didn't draw anything there.
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #777
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6999

Wasn't Narita Shinkansen emerged as Narita Skyliner?
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #778
quashlo

Sort of, but the Skyliner isn't really a "Shinkansen", just a fast (160 km/h) limited express. Of course, an all-new Shinkansen (or faster) link to Narita is unlikely to be built in any of our lifetimes, especially with all the efforts being directed towards the Asakusa Line bypass instead.

But I put a dotted line out to Narita anyways since the Shinkansen line was already partly under construction before the project was halted... I envisioned it as an extension of the Chūō Shinkansen from Shinagawa up to Tōkyō then over to Narita.
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #779
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6999

I mean it could be marked as tiny line like mini Shinkansen. As it turns to be middle Shinkansen)
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #780
sacto7654

I believe a good fraction of the Keisei Sky Access route was the right of way intended for the Narita Shinkansen.