daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #801
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

This telephoto spy shot from early June apparently shows the front end of a E7/W7 trainset:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kei9_masahukudo/64118377.html

According to the JR East presser, the E7 trainset will be revealed this autumn...
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #802
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The train on the photo looks kind of like an 800-series Shinkansen. I like it.
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #803
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

TV program from a few months ago (mostly) about the Hokuriku Shinkansen. Starts off in the recently restored historic Marunouchi Station Building of JR Tōkyō Station, then a ride to Nagano on the “Nagano” Shinkansen, where they discuss some of the issues about the naming of the new line (“Nagano” vs. “Hokuriku” Shinkansen), as well as the history of the planned Shinkansen routes (整備新幹線) and the construction / operating schemes (constructed by a governmental agency, the JRTT, and then the JRs pay infrastructure lease fees to operate trains on the lines). A discussion of the E7 / W7 series, as well as the GranClass amenities, followed by a tour of Kanazawa Station and how the Shinkansen is effecting economic and tourism changes in Kanazawa. Then, a discussion of Iiyama Station and efforts to promote tourism in Nagano, including marketing to Taiwanese airlines by getting passengers to arrive via Toyama Airport and take the Shinkansen “backwards” into Nagano. Then, a tour of Iiyama Station and a discussion of what will happen with the parallel conventional line (zairaisen). Last are tours of Toyama Station and Nagano Station, including the under-construction platform extension work at Nagano.

A web TV tour of the under-construction Iiyama Station on the Hokuriku Shinkansen:

Catenary being erected in Miyanokubo, Namerikawa City (滑川市宮窪) in eastern Toyama Prefecture (2013.08.04):

Equario liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #804
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I do think once the Hokuriku Shinkansen opens, there will be a major push for a lot more foreign tourists visiting the historic sites on the Sea of Japan side coastline of Honshu--especially Kanazawa, a city with major significance in Japanese history. Small cities like Naoetsu and Itoigawa may experience economic booms as they could even become "weekend bedroom communities" for people working in Tokyo.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:07 AM   #805
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

quashlo, do you have any pictures or videos about construction of E5 Series?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:54 AM   #806
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
This telephoto spy shot from early June apparently shows the front end of a E7/W7 trainset:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kei9_masahukudo/64118377.html

According to the JR East presser, the E7 trainset will be revealed this autumn...
Looks somewhat like a Ferrari.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:00 AM   #807
quashlo

Some more photos of E7 / W7 series at the Kawasaki plant:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/superhakuto.../10267038.html
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/superhakuto.../10035789.html

foxmulder liked this post
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:17 PM   #808
sacto7654

Has anyone checked Hitachi's assembly line at Kudamatsu, Kinki Sharyo's assembly line in the Osaka area, or J-TREC's assembly line at Yokohama for their first E7/W7 trainsets?
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:59 AM   #809
quashlo

For Kinki Sharyōís plant near Tokuan Station on the JR Katamachi Line (Gakken Toshi Line) in Higashi-Ōsaka City, this is probably the best blog, although the picture quality is not so good:
http://ken-n701.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

Nothing on the E7 / W7, but they have a snap of the new JR West commuter EMU for the Hiroshima area:
http://ken-n701.cocolog-nifty.com/bl...0819-6b30.html

Not sure if thereís any dedicated blogs for the two other plants (Hitachi in Kudamatsu and J-TREC in Yokohama), although thereís generally a lot of video coverage on the latter whenever they do movements for new train sets, given its proximity to Tōkyō.

Based on all the photos on blog covering the Kawasaki plant, it may be that Kawasaki is producing the entire pre-production prototype (12 cars) of the E7 series, which is supposed to be completed first by autumn 2013 (the first W7 series is in spring of next year). Thereís 2 cars in this shot from June, and then in this shot from a week ago, thereís at least 3 cars stationed out on the open tracks and another at least another 3 being actively worked on under the roofed tracks. That would leave only four remaining cars to complete the set, and itís entirely likely they could be tucked away in parts of the plant where we canít see them.

Iím still amazed at the variety at the Kawasaki plantÖ Taiwan Taoyuan Airport MRT stock, JR Freight EF510 freight locomotive, E6 and E7 Shinkansen, JR Hokkaidō 733 series, Kōbe Municipal Subway 1000 series, and up until recently Metro North M8s for New York and the first 7000 series subway cars for Washington Metroóitís like a circus over there.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #810
sacto7654

That confirms it--JR West will deliver 225 Series EMU's to replace the large fleet of aging 115 Series EMU's in at least the Hiroshima area. That means by 2016 most of JR West's EMU commuter trains running on the San'yō Main Line west of Himeji will be 225's.

But getting back on topic, any news on whether KHI will no longer deliver E6 Shinkansen trainsets by boat but deliver them towed by a locomotive like a couple of recent trainsets?

Last edited by sacto7654; September 1st, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: add information
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:14 AM   #811
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
But getting back on topic, any news on whether KHI will no longer deliver E6 Shinkansen trainsets by boat but deliver them towed by a locomotive like a couple of recent trainsets?
Were some previous E6 trainsets delivered by boat? The E6 trainset loading gauge permits delivery via the conventional railway network easily enough. Location of the receiving depot (and manufacture location) may also influence delivery mode.

*reading some blogs, it appears the first E6 units were delivered by boat via Sendai Port, but that KHI will deliver by rail exclusively. Hitachi-built E6 units will continue to be delivered by boat.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; September 2nd, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:21 AM   #812
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
do you have any pictures or videos about construction of E5 Series?
FWIW (not much at all, I readily admit), TV Tokyo I believe had a report on the E5 testing prior to its general introduction. If I remember correctly, it focused on the active suspension system, and the pantograph design. I may be mistaken, but JR-E staff found that above 320km/h, the active suspension did not work effectively enough to be acceptable to their standards of passenger comfort, which were set high.

I can't find that segment on YouTube. Maybe someone else can, if it exists.

Here is a Kawasaki Heavy newsletter that has some pics and descriptions of E5 construction at the KHI Hyogo Plant (Japanese language):
http://www.khi.co.jp/knews/backnumbe...news156_01.pdf

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; September 2nd, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM   #813
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
*reading some blogs, it appears the first E6 units were delivered by boat via Sendai Port, but that KHI will deliver by rail exclusively. Hitachi-built E6 units will continue to be delivered by boat.
I believe that because KHI's assembly plant near Kobe is right next to the San'yō Main Line, that makes it easy to ship the whole trainset to the Akita depot for setup by train. Hitachi's assembly at Kudamatsu makes it much easier to just transport the whole trainset by boat.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM   #814
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi I have a question:

- Shinkansen has 50 years of time. Since that according to Wikipedia Japan has constructed more than 2500 km of lines.
Do you think when the extension that are now under construction will finish, the network is going to be complete?

Now there are four lines under construction: Hokoriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa, Nagasaki Route, Hokkaido Shinkansen and Chuo Shinkansen (Maglev).
Japan has now 30 years to complete this lines until 2045. (I read in Wikipedia)

- What is the next level in Shinkansen? Upgrade the speed? Build more Maglev?

Thank you in advance.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #815
quashlo

Chūgoku prefectures push for FGT on Hakubi Line
「伯備線にFGT導入」継続

http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201309060037.html

A general meeting of a special committee comprising representatives of Shimane, Tottori, and Okayama Prefectures, established to lobby for introduction of the variable-gauge “Free Gauge Train” (FGT) technology onto the Hakubi Line, was held in Matsue City on 2013.09.05. The technology would allow for Shinkansen services to run directly to and from the Hakubi Line at Okayama, connecting Matsue and Tottori Prefectures to the national high-speed network.

At this particular meeting, the committee reaffirmed its plan to lobby the national government to introduce the technology to the Hakubi Line, including earmarking money for studies and testing of the technology on the Hakubi Line. However, some of the committee representatives—including those from Tottori—expressed concern over the lack of progress in the 20 years since the establishment of the committee, despite progress being made on practical applications of the technology for the Kyūshū Shinkansen and Hokuriku Shinkansen in 2020 and later.

===

Well, it’s only a matter of time, really… Nagasaki and Hokuriku will be the first implementations, and if successful, I’m sure local governments across Japan will be fighting to be the next to have the service.

FGT testing on the Yosan Line (2013.08.04):

Apparently, Higashi-Matsue City in Shimane Prefecture is also commissioning a study of a new Shinkansen station:
http://www.kentsu.co.jp/webnews/html...831700003.html
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #816
quashlo

Excavation of Shimizu Tunnel complete
「清水トンネル」貫通、関係者祝う 九州新幹線西九州ルート

http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nnp/nagasaki/article/37602

Excavation of the 972 m long Shimizu Tunnel (清水トンネル) on the Nishi-Kyūshū (Nagasaki) route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen in Kobagō, Higashi-Sonogi Town (東彼杵町木場郷) was completed on 2013.09.04, with about 150 local residents and project representatives attending a special ceremony to commemorate the milestone.

The tunnel is located between the future Shin-Ōmura and Ureshino Onsen Stations. Work on the tunnel and the adjacent Chiwata Tunnel (千綿トンネル) began in January 2010, and this latest milestone marks the fifth tunnel excavation completed in Nagasaki Prefecture. The 67 km route between Nagasaki and Takeo Onsen is scheduled to open in FY2022, and 40.7 km (60.7%) of the route will consist of tunnels. Currently, excavation work for about 24% (10 km) is complete.

===

A tour of the station plaza and storage tracks at Nagasaki Station, which will soon undergo major changes when the elevated Shinkansen tracks come into the station. In particular, the entire station, including the zairaisen tracks will be grade-separated (elevated) and the storage yard functions will be relocated elsewhere.

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #817
quashlo

“Wolverine” action scene on the Shinkansen:

Old September 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #818
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

No.

Just no.

So much technical ignorance...
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #819
quashlo

JICA will study Mumbai–Ahmedabad HSR corridor
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5101029.ece

Quote:
New Delhi, Sept 6: Railways has given green signal to Japan for conducting a detailed study for the proposed 543 km long Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed rail corridor, in another step towards implementing the bullet train project.

“Japan Internal Cooperation Agency will conduct a feasibility study for Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed rail corridor and for this a MoU will be signed soon”, said Railway Board Chairman Arunendra Kumar here today.

Kumar had gone to Japan on a four-day visit to discuss certain issues including the proposed high speed corridor and modalities of JICA fund for Western DFC project among others.

Though RITES and Systra, a French firm, had already carried out the pre-feasibility study of the route, the Japanese study is expected to be a more detailed one exploring the possibility of running train at a speed of 300 km per hour between the two cities.

“It will be a detailed study which will examine the funding pattern, alignment, patronage, possible halts, fare structure and other details required for the project. All modalities for the study will be finalised this month so that it can possibly begin next month,” Kumar said.

The high speed corridor study has to be completed within 18 months and the cost of it will be shared jointly by railways and JICA.

Estimated to cost about Rs 63,000 crore, the 534-km-long Mumbai-Ahmedabad route is expected to be the first corridor to be explored for the Railways ambitious bullet project.

Besides Mumbai-Ahmedabad, railways has identified six routes for conducting pre-feasibility study for high speed corridors including Delhi-Agra-Patna, Howrah-Haldia, Chennai-Bangalore-Thiruvananthapuram, Delhi-Amritsar.

Considered a key infrastructure project, the Prime Minister’s Office is also monitoring the Mumbai-Ahmedabad project and has asked railways to constitute a project steering group to examine options for executing it.

The project is likely to be executed on PPP model where state governments of Maharashtra and Gujarat are expected to be stakeholders along with railways.
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #820
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
The high speed corridor study has to be completed within 18 months
Euhh... is this possible?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote