daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #821
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Euhh... is this possible?
I would think a study (gathering data, surveying, weighing options) is quite doable in a year and a half.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #822
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Speaking of the Shinkansen, with Tokyo now holding the 2020 Summer Olympics, will JR Central have to adjust adjust schedules for the Nozomi and Hikari Shinkansen to accommodate Olympic visitors? Shinagawa Station will be especially important since it's the closest major station to many Olympic venues.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #823
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Difficult to say, as the event is still seven years away. Who knows what the travel patterns and demand will be then- especially wrt competing forms of transport. For all we know, LCCs may have a significant share of the domestic travel market then. At least JR Tokai can schedule existing intermittent services to run daily during the weeks of the Olympics, as the pathings are already there.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #824
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3058

KingNick, asahi liked this post

Last edited by castermaild55; September 14th, 2013 at 05:52 AM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #825
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

I love how enthusiastic Hammond is about what he presents. Second video is much more interesting though.
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #826
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Busfotodotnl, quashlo, 3737, asahi, loefet liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #827
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Looking good... The side profile sort of reminds me of the N700 sets for the Kyūshū Shinkansen.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #828
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Looking good... The side profile sort of reminds me of the N700 sets for the Kyūshū Shinkansen.
Actually, I think you may be referring to the 800 Series Shinkansen trainsets built by Hitachi that are used exclusively between Kagoshima-Chuo and Hakata Stations on the all-stops Tsubame and limited-stop Sakura services.

(It should be noted there are two types of Sakura train services--one with the 800 Series trainsets only between Kagoshima-Chuo and Hakata, and one with N700-8000 Series trainsets between Kagoshima-Chuo and Shin-Osaka.)
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #829
quashlo

The front looks like the 800 series, yes. But I'm talking about the paint scheme on the sides... Both use simple, thin belt lines. Even the colors are actually pretty close, too, although the Kyūshū Shinkansen N700 color is gold:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...0_787-7000.jpg

For JR East, it's a bit of a departure from the E5 / E6 styling, which use bright colors (green + pink or red). The navy blue + burnt orange is much more sublime.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #830
quashlo

Japan interested in high-speed trains for Malaysia
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v7....php?id=978109

Quote:
JAKARTA, Sept 17 (Bernama) - Indonesian Transportation Minister Evert Erenst Mangindaan said Japan is keen to develop high-speed trains to enhance connectivity between Indonesia cities.

The trains travelling at 300 km per hour are expected to connect Jakarta to Bandung and Surabaya, Indonesian news agency ANTARA reported Mangindaan as saying on Monday.

"We hope to implement the trains after Indonesia completes the construction of a double-track railway line in northern Java," the minister said.

"Japan is also keen to build an overpass track above the double track in the north coast area of Java. We plan to use the double track for container trains to accelerate cargo transportation in Java, we will use the overpass track for passenger trains," said Mangindaan.

The government plans to use the overpass line track for passenger trains travelling between Jakarta and Surabaya and Jakarta and Bandung.

The government anticipates the construction of a double track between Jakarta and Surabaya will be completed by the end of the year.

Mangindaan did not state the cost of developing the new rail lines.

"We will put forth several options, including the extension of the concession to manage train service," he added.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #831
quashlo

Variable-gauge train testing on Yosan Line complete
鉄道・運輸機構、予讃線でのフリーゲージトレイン走行試験を終了

http://response.jp/article/2013/09/17/206553.html

The Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (JRTT) announced on 2013.09.17 that it will finish running tests of the variable-gauge Free Gauge Train (FGT) on JR Shikoku’s Yosan Line on 2013.09.21. The JRTT says that it has obtained a sufficiently-sized data sample to evaluate the train’s durability.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #832
quashlo

New detection equipment accelerated Tōkaidō Shinkansen recovery after typhoon
台風18号で増水、新計測装置が新幹線の運転再開早める

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A9000000/

Water levels in the Fuji River rose as a result of Typhoon #18, which entered mainland Japan on 2013.09.16, forcing JR Central to temporarily suspend Tōkaidō Shinkansen service between Shizuoka and Shin-Fuji starting at 8:40 am, eventually expanding to Mishima later. With the aid of new measurement equipment that began operation on 2013.09.01, the railway was able to resume service much quicker than before, with trains running on the affected segments by 3:00 pm.

Rising river levels generally result in erosion of the earth surrounding the columns supporting Shinkansen bridges, potentially affecting the strength of the columns, a phenomenon known as bridge scour. As a result, the railway has established safety thresholds for water level on some bridges on the line, which can be considered a proxy for the level of bridge scour. The new equipment allows them to physically measure the effects of bridge scour on the bridge columns, allowing the railway to resume service on the line even if water levels exceed the established thresholds.

In the case of the Fuji River, Shinkansen service was previously suspended when river levels exceeded 7.2 m from the bottom of the bridge girders. Once the water levels receded, the railway would measure the natural frequency of the bridge columns to determine the potential for bridge scour and resume service at 70 km/h. Under the new system, the water level threshold remains the same, but if the weather has died down and the water levels are below historical highs and on the decline, the railway takes continuous measurements of the natural frequency using new automated vibration detection equipment. The equipment collides a 30 kg weight with the bridge colume to measure the natural frequency, allowing the railway to determine the level of bridge scour. By repeating the process every 2 minutes, the railway can obtain information on bridge scour in realtime. After visual safety inspections of the bridge by railway staff, the railway can now resume service at 30 km/h.

===

The typhoon caused some service disruptions for both rail and air travel:

Old September 30th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #833
quashlo

JR Central provided some updates on the progress of overhauls to their existing fleet of 80 N700 series trains (1,280 cars) to bring them up to the same standards as the new N700A series trains:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001311.html

The overhaul program details are as follows. The bulk of the work involves installation of center-mounted brake discs (~15% increase in braking power), an “earthquake” braking system (10% decrease in stopping distance after detection of a seismic event), and constant speed controllers (i.e., cruise control) to accelerate recovery after service disruptions. Other work involves installation of air tanks and associated piping, for a total of 10,000 components that must be equipped in each train.

Code:
                                                     N700
                                                --------------
Function                                        Pre-OH Post-OH  N700A
==============================================  ====== =======  =====

Safety
  Center-mounted brake discs                      N       Y       Y
  Earthquake brakes                               N       Y       Y

Stability
  Cruise control (constant speed)                 N       Y       Y
  Bogie vibration detection system                N       N       Y

Comfort
  Expanded use of tilting equipment               N       Y       Y
    (improves ride comfort)

Energy conservation
  Reduced electricity consumption                 Y       Y       Y
    (19% less than the 700 series)
  Controlled lighting for restrooms               N       N       Y

Interior features
  Emergency notification system (deck section)    N       N       Y
Door open / close lights (deck section)         N       N       Y
The work is being conducted by a special team as part of the general maintenance cycle at JR Central’s Hamamatsu Works, and takes about one month per trainset. The ¥23 billion project will last until FY2015. They’ve completed overhauls on 12 trainsets, 9 of which are in operation. The schedule is as follows:

FY2013: 32 sets
FY2014: 37 sets
FY2015: 11 sets
Total: 80 sets
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #834
quashlo

Window view on Tōkaidō / San’yō Shinkansen Nozomi 11, Tōkyō to Hakata (1069.1 km), Car 8 (Green Car), Unit Z79. Schedule:

0730 Dep Tōkyō
0736 Arr Shinagawa
0748 Arr Shin-Yokohama (18:45)
0911 Arr Nagoya (1:42:29)
0950 Arr Kyōto (2:21:30)
1006 Arr Shin-Ōsaka (2:37:35)
1022 Arr Shin-Kōbe (2:52:46)
1055 Arr Okayama (3:26:30)
1133 Arr Hiroshima (4:04:08)
1156 Arr Tokuyama (4:26:50)
1226 Arr Kokura (4:56:58)
1243 Arr Hakata (5:10:05)

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:06 PM   #835
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post

Nice videos. what is the date for introduction?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM   #836
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

When Hokuriku Shinkansen open
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM   #837
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

Spring 2015 to Kanazwa.
2026 to Tsuruga.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:33 AM   #838
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Cool, hope to see pictures of it during the tests. I assume they are very close to start.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #839
quashlo

General service patterns for Hokuriku Shinkansen announced

JR West and JR East announced that there would be four types of service on the Hokuriku Shinkansen:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20131002.pdf
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_4539.html

Tōkyō – Kanazawa (fast)
Tōkyō – Kanazawa (slow)
Toyama – Kanazawa (shuttle)
Tōkyō – Nagano (existing Nagano Shinkansen Asama)

The official name of the line will also be the “Hokuriku Shinkansen”, although they will include “(via Nagano)” on signage.

FNN news report (2013.10.02):

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:06 AM   #840
sacto7654

That's great, but have they given the official name for each type of service on the Hokuriku Shinkansen line? I know the current service between Tokyo and Nagano is named Asama (after Mt. Asama, which borders Gunma and Nagano prefectures); I'd love to see them use Hakutaka for the limited-stop service between Tokyo and Kanazawa and Hokuetsu for all-stations service between Nagano and Kanazawa.