daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:02 AM   #841
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

The train names will be revealed sometime this autumn or later. There already was a contest where the public could submit their ideas:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130514.pdf

http://www.shinkansen-name.jp/
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #842
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I like my name suggestions for two reasons:

1. Hakutaka is already used as the name of the limited-stop express train between Echigo-Yuzawa and Kanazawa Stations. It would be a perfect name for the limited-stop Shinkansen train from Tokyo all the way to Kanazawa, which will only stop at Ueno, Omiya, Takasaki, Ueda, Nagano, Jōetsu-Myōkō, Toyama and Kanazawa.

2. Hokuetsu is already used as the name of the limited-stop express train between Kanazawa and Niigata. They can transfer that name to the all-stops Shinkansen train between Nagano and Kanazawa.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #843
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR West has filed applications with the Trademark Office for the names “Tsurugi” (つるぎ) and “Tateyama” (たてやま):
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...1104010-n1.htm

These are names of two famous mountains in the Hokuriku region—Mt. Tsurugi (劔岳) and Mt. Tate (立山)—and there are rumors that the railway will use these as names for services on the Hokuriku Shinkansen, although the application was technically filed on 2013.05.14, before the start of the public naming invitation process (2013.05.31 – 2013.06.30). The proposed shuttle services between Kanazawa and Toyama (20-minute travel time, about half the current travel time via limited express) would be operated in JR West territory, so it’s possible that these could be used for those services.

Currently, there are over 40 limited express roundtrips on the Kanazawa – Toyama section of the Hokuriku Main Line, including 15 Thunderbird roundtrips from Ōsaka and 8 Shirasagi roundtrips from Nagoya. JR West is expected to eliminate these services and replace them with the Shinkansen shuttles, with passengers transferring at Kanazawa.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #844
quashlo

Hokuriku Shinkansen testing to begin 2013.12.01
走行試験 12月1日から 北陸新幹線

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/toy...OYT8T00013.htm

On 2013.10.04, the Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (JRTT) announced that it would begin running tests on the Nagano – Kurobe–Unazuki Onsen section of the Hokuriku Shinkansen, scheduled to open in spring 2015, starting on 2013.12.01. About 1 to 2 roundtrips would be operated for about 70 days total until 2014.03.28 jointly by the JRTT, JR East, and JR West. The tests would be conducted with the East-i, JR East’s test unit for Shinkansen electrical and track systems, and 10-car E2 series units currently in use as Yamabiko services on the Tōhoku Shinkansen.

The majority of the testing would be conducted at night, starting at low speeds and gradually increasing to the 260 km/h top speed to confirm the satisfactory performance of the track, catenary, and structures, as well as the adequate functionality of the ATC equipment.

Track and electrification is already complete on the Nagano – Kurobe–Unazuki Onsen section, and work is proceeding on the stations. Track-laying is currently underway west of Kurobe–Unazuki Onsen to Kanazawa.
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #845
k.k.jetcar

E7 trainset at the factory

Speaking of the Hokuriku Shinkansen, recent shunting of the first E7 trainset at KHI's Hyogo Plant:

3737 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #846
sacto7654

Now that the first trainset for the Hokuriku Shinkansen is just about complete, when will they ship it out to Omiya Station just north of Tokyo for setup and at least initial testing between Tokyo and Nagano stations?
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #847
sanarsoe

Likes (Received): 0

I love his country things.Really
sanarsoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #848
quashlo

JICA and Indian government sign MOU on Mumbai – Ahmedabad high-speed corridor
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...bu040000c.html

Quote:
NEW DELHI (Kyodo) -- The Japan International Cooperation Agency and the Indian Ministry of Railways on Monday signed a memorandum to conduct a joint feasibility study on introducing Japan's bullet train technology in India.

The Japanese agency said contractors would be selected by the end of the year to start the study on technology, cost and impact on society and environment for the roughly 500-kilometer route between Mumbai and Ahmedabad over one and a half year.

The joint study was agreed in May during talks between Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. It may take some time before India decides whether or not to introduce Japan's shinkansen system.
===

This NHK article has a video:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...107231000.html

Munwon liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #849
k.k.jetcar

And should India decide to build a system using a non-Japanese supplier, I certainly hope JICA will no longer provide funding (i.e. my tax money).

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; October 9th, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #850
quashlo

Names for the new services for the Hokuriku Shinkansen have been selected.

Fast service between Tōkyō and Kanazawa:
Kagayaki (かがやき): Means “brilliance” or “radiance”. This name debuted in 1988 between Kanazawa and Nagaoka for fast services operating on the Hokuetsu route, with intermediate calls at Naoetsu, Toyama, and Takaoka. The name was eventually abandoned when the Hakutaka debuted via the Hokuetsu Express Hokuhoku Line in 1997. This was the #5 most popular name among the suggestions received.

Slow service between Tōkyō and Kanazawa:
Hakutaka (はくたか): Means “white hawk”, and is currently in use on limited express services on the Fukui – Kanazawa – Toyama – Echigo Yuzawa via the Hokuriku Main Line, Shin’etsu Main Line, Hokuhoku Line, and the Jōetsu Line. This was the #1 most popular name among the suggestions received.

Shuttle service between Toyama and Kanazawa:
Tsurugi (つるぎ): Drawing its name from Toyama’s Mount Tsurugi (剱岳), this name has a fairly rich history as an overnight / sleeper service between Ōsaka and Niigata, debuting in 1961 until being downgraded to seasonal service in 1994 and eventual abandonment in 1996. Calls were at Shin-Ōsaka, Kyōto, Itoigawa, Naoetsu, Kashiwazaki, Nagaoka, Mitsuke, Higashi-Sanjō, Kamo, Niitsu, and Niigata. This was the #71 most popular name among the suggestions received.

The existing Nagano Shinkansen service will continue to be called the Asama.

Kyōdō report, with a nice shot of the E7 / W7 1:20 scale model they put on display at the press conference.

ANN report:

FM 2258, 3737 liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #851
quashlo

JICA to conduct Shinkansen studies for Indonesia
日本が初の新幹線本格調査へ インドネシア

http://www.47news.jp/CN/201310/CN2013101601002362.html

It was revealed on 2013.10.16 that the Japanese and Indian governments have signed an agreement to commission a feasibility study to consider the potential introduction of a Shinkansen high-speed railway to Java. This is the first real feasibility study for a high-speed railway for the Indonesia, beating out competitors from China and Korea, and a big first step for Japan, which estimates that the entire project could be worth about Rp 50 trillion (about ¥45 trillion). According to officials close to the negotiations, the study will be conducted by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), which is expected to sign an MOU with the Indonesian government on 2013.10.17.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #852
quashlo

MLIT establishes joint working group to assist Sweden with HSR plans
国交省/実務者連携体制を構築/スウェーデンの高速鉄道整備

http://www.kensetsunews.com/?p=21273

The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has established a joint working group (JWG) to facilitate further discussion of technological issues facing high-speed rail in Sweden, including the cooperative relationship with the Swedish side and strategies for dealing with snow. Sweden is set to construct about 200 km of high-speed lines, and the JWG will consider how Japanese firms can get involved in the project.

Swedish railway officials signed an MOU with the MLIT in May of this year regarding an exchange of railway expertise, and various events have already been held, including workshops, seminars, and visits to Shinkansen construction sites in Japan. Another workshop was held in Stockholm in September to flesh out details for seminars and studies to be conducted through to 2016.

The participants concluded that a forum was needed to share information regarding technologies related to high-speed rail implementation, so the MLIT established the new JWG to serve this purpose. Sweden is looking to build two lines, one west from Stockholm to Göteborg via Jönköping and another branch from Jönköping to Malmö, with potential extensions to Copenhagen in Denmark and Oslo in Norway. The JWG is currently focusing on providing assistance on a portion of the western trunk line to Göteborg, which will be constructed first starting as soon as 2017.

dj4life, loefet, Svartmetall liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #853
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

I can only hope something will come out of that.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM   #854
quashlo

A news feature on the N700A:

Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #855
PredyGr

Likes (Received): 4

Hi,
I would like to ask, if there are available to commoners the maximum permitted speed limits along the shinkansen lines. My google-fu has failed me .

Thanks.
PredyGr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #856
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredyGr View Post
Hi,
I would like to ask, if there are available to commoners the maximum permitted speed limits along the shinkansen lines. My google-fu has failed me .

Thanks.
Tohoku Shinkansen: 320 km/h
Joetsu 240
Nagano 260
Tokaido 270
Sanyo 300
Kyushu 260
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #857
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

I think he might have meant a detailed speed limit map with stretches where trains need to slow down due to curves etc.

The general information you posted is widely available, though I also have never seen a detailed speed limit map of the Japanese Shinkansen.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #858
k.k.jetcar

I'm not a mind-reader, I merely answered the question as phrased by the OP at face value. Oh yeah, thanks for the advice.

There was an identical question a while back, I now recall. Perhaps by the same person. I think I said nothing available on the web. If there is such info, it's in a booklet issued to drivers, and is not for public consumption. They may turn up on Yahoo Auctions from time to time, maybe.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; October 24th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #859
sacto7654

Speaking of which, I wonder when will JR East officially unveil the first E7 trainset for the Hokuriku Shinkansen line? Someone mentioned that the first trainset is now complete and has been loaded on a boat next to the KHI plant in Hyogo for a trip to the Tokyo area, where it may be set up at Omiya Station for test runs late this year (don't be surprised that the first E7 trainset is running between Tokyo and Nagano by middle December 2013).
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #860
k.k.jetcar

This is all I could find for now re. latest E7 movements. Nothing on the Tube.

https://twitter.com/hamashin223/stat...381440/photo/1

*online chatter is that the barges carrying the trainset are currently around the vicinity of Rokko Island (towed by "Aki Maru"), possibly waiting for typhoon #27 to pass by, before leaving Kobe Port.

http://new.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/431000674

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; October 24th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.