daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #861
PredyGr

Likes (Received): 4

First of all, I have to thank you for the replies. Maybe i have not formulated properly the question. Sorry for the inconvenience I caused to you.

As asahi pointed, I am looking for the maximum speed map of each shinkansen line. Yahoo auctions is a good tip, thank you.

PS: This was the first time I made this question.
PredyGr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #862
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar
I'm not a mind-reader, I merely answered the question as phrased by the OP at face value. Oh yeah, thanks for the advice.
Well, since he asked for speed limits along the lines it was rather clear he did not mean the max. speed allowed on the line. But anyway, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredyGr
I am looking for the maximum speed map of each shinkansen line. Yahoo auctions is a good tip, thank you.
Sometimes people use the gps (like in their smartphones) to measure the speed when on the train. It's not the most accurate method, but I think there might be such records available somewhere online, so you could try looking for that.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #863
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

This is all I could find for now re. latest E7 movements. Nothing on the Tube.

https://twitter.com/hamashin223/stat...381440/photo/1

*online chatter is that the barges carrying the trainset are currently around the vicinity of Rokko Island (towed by "Aki Maru"), possibly waiting for typhoon #27 to pass by, before leaving Kobe Port.

http://new.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/431000674
Thanks for the latest information. It appears that the first completed trainset will soon be on its way to the Tokyo area for setup and initial testing possibly the the end of November 2013.

Speaking of which, I wonder are the E7/W7 trainset's loading gauge compatible with stations along the Tokaidō Shinkansen line? If that is the case, KHI (and maybe Kinki Sharyo) could deliver individual cars of each trainset by oversized load truck to the big Shinkansen service yard east of Shin-Osaka Station, assemble the trainset, and run the completed trainset at reduced speed (maybe at most 190-200 km/h) back to Omiya Station.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #864
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Thanks for the latest information. It appears that the first completed trainset will soon be on its way to the Tokyo area for setup and initial testing possibly the the end of November 2013.

Speaking of which, I wonder are the E7/W7 trainset's loading gauge compatible with stations along the Tokaidō Shinkansen line? If that is the case, KHI (and maybe Kinki Sharyo) could deliver individual cars of each trainset by oversized load truck to the big Shinkansen service yard east of Shin-Osaka Station, assemble the trainset, and run the completed trainset at reduced speed (maybe at most 190-200 km/h) back to Omiya Station.
There is no track connection at Tokyo Station.

Look on Google Maps Satellite-the Tokaido Shinkansen tracks terminate at the far right, and the Joetsu/Tohoku tracks are just to the left. There is no connection. Transferring them at Tokyo Station would involve cranes and be a tricky proposition at best.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #865
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

One other factor they aren't connected is that JR Central runs on 25 kV 60 Hz and JR East on 25 kV 50 Hz. Also there probably isn't that much through traffic, otherwise this connection would have already been made in the JNR days. Even in the JNR days the rolling stock north and south of Tokyo was already different.
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #866
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

I always found that strange. Usually rail systems of the same gauge are connected, if that's easily feasible like in Tokyo main station. And that even if their rolling stock is incompatible in normal service, like metro networks, where the track link is used to deliver new rolling stock.

If tracks in Tokyo were connected, would it have been possible to deliver the new E7/W7 sets towing them on the Tokaido Shinkansen?

Will the Hokuriku Shinkansen be connected to the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen at the other end?

Then a dumb question: by whom are financed new Shinkansen lines?

Do you know maps of the Japanese railways showing gauges and electrification, similarly to these?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #867
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
If tracks in Tokyo were connected, would it have been possible to deliver the new E7/W7 sets towing them on the Tokaido Shinkansen?
Easy, they could even be driven there without a problem, since the new E7/W7 are bi-current for them to work on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line. And I also think that there are some maintenance locomotives that they use on the
Shinkansen lines that would be able to tow them if the above wasn't feasible. The main problem except for the tracks not being connected at Tokyo would be to get permission from JR Central to transport the trains on the Tokaido Shinkansen Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Will the Hokuriku Shinkansen be connected to the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen at the other end?
It depends on how they do the connection from Tsuruga to Osaka, one option is to use the connect the Hokuriku Shinkansen line with the Tokaido Shinkansen line at Maibara and then use those tracks to go into Osaka.
But this is not an option today since there is no space for more trains on the Tokaido Shinkansen line.
We just have to see what happens.

I'll leave the other questions to someone that know the answer for them.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #868
sacto7654

I'm actually disappointed that the Tokaidō Shinkansen line cannot interchange with the Jōetsu/Tōhoku Shinkansen lines at Tokyo Station. While I'm not asking for through train service, at least it can allow KHI, Hitachi, and Kinki Sharyo to deliver completed full-width Shinkansen trainsets (running at reduced speed or course) on the Tokaidō line to run on the Jōetsu, Tōhoku and Hokuriku lines.

Hopefully, we'll see the first completed E7 trainset being set up at Omiya Station within the next 20-30 days or so.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #869
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Surveying to begin next year for Shinkansen railyard in Tsuruga
敦賀の新幹線車両基地年明け測量 予定地地形、地元で住民向け説明会

http://www.fukuishimbun.co.jp/localn...ess/46542.html

The Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (JRTT) will begin surveying work in January 2014 at the planned site of a new Shinkansen railyard as part of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension from Kanazawa to Tsuruga. The JRTT will hold a workshop for local residents on the evening of 2013.10.25 to explain the details of the project.

Surveying will take place along approx. 1.8 km of the JR Hokuriku Line, covering a width of 40 to 130 m along the alignment in Tsuruga City, between Wakaizumichō (若泉町) and Sakanoshita (坂下). The JRTT will negotiate with property owners by December to perform the work from January through March, which involves measuring ground elevations in preparation for discussions with JR West to develop a conceptual design for the railyard and perform the necessary land acquisition and detailed design tasks. The JRTT hopes to break ground on the railyard in three years.

===

A recent “railwalk” event on the completed Shinkansen viaduct at Kanazawa Station:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #870
quashlo

Digitalization of Tōkaidō Shinkansen track circuits to be completed in November
東海道新幹線の軌道回路デジタル化、11月末に完成…着手から14年

http://response.jp/article/2013/10/26/209409.html

Press relase:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001320.html

Work on digitalization of track circuit systems on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen will soon be complete, 14 years after JR Central first began work on the project. The railway announced on 2013.10.24 that it expects to complete the work in late November.

Track circuits detect the presence of trains on track blocks through transmission of signal currents in the rails. The Tōkaidō Shinkansen uses track circuits to allow trains to maintain their running speed while instantaneously switching power sources when transitioning between zones powered by different transformer stations. Digitalization of the track circuit systems eliminates the need for relay connections (moving switches) for the track circuits, reducing instances of mechanical failure. The signal currents can also be placed under continuous surveillance at the central control center, alerting the railway to inspection needs on any track blocks before problems occur.

Work on the project began with upgrading the line’s automatic train control (ATC) system between FY1999 and FY2005. The railway invested ¥40 billion into digitalization of the track circuit systems, allowing for improved ride comfort through smoother braking patterns and greater scheduling flexibility. The tilting systems on the N700 series and cruise control systems on the new N700-1000 (N700A) series also make use of the line’s digital ATC.

Starting in May 2011, the railway began work on converting the track circuits controlling power switches to digital technology, There are a total of 80 track circuits controlling power switches along the line, but 66 of these were already shared with the digital ATC system, so the railway has been investing about ¥1 billion on the 14 remaining locations controlling only power switches.

Old October 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #871
quashlo

Yamagata Prefecture restarts lobbying efforts for Ōu, Uetsu Shinkansen
フル規格新幹線へ再始動 山形県、県民運動に着手

http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/10/20131028t51028.htm

Efforts in Yamagata Prefecture to realize the planned Ōu and Uetsu Shinkansen, full-standard Shinkansen lines between Fukushima and Akita (270 km) and between Toyama and Aomori (560 km) have restarted, 40 years after their inclusion in the 1973 Shinkansen master plan. There has been no real progress since the lines were first proposed, but the importance of a transport corridor along the Sea of Japan coast is getting some new thought following the Great East Japan Earthquake. With efforts to speed up the Tōhoku Shinkansen currently underway, Yamagata is concerned that it will be relegated to obscurity due to its remote location. Lobbying efforts by the Prefectural Government were suspended in 2005, but were restarted last year.

The Fukushima – Yamagata section of the planned line opened in 1992 with “mini” Shinkansen technology, but the suspension of Tōhoku Shinkansen services for a month and a half following the 2011 earthquake has confirmed, at least for supporters, the need for an alternative transport corridor along the Sea of Japan coast. The seven lines approved before adoption of the 1973 master plan—Tōkaidō, San’yō, Tōhoku, Jōetsu, Hokkaidō, Hokuriku, and Kyūshū—have already been completed or are under construction. The 1973 plan later added more lines, including the Ōu, Uetsu, Cross-Chugoku, Shikoku, and East Kyūshū routes. With work set to begin in FY2014 on the Chūō Shinkansen in preparation for a 2027 opening, the Prefectural Government believes the time is right to restart grassroots efforts for the Ōu and Uetsu Shinkansen.

In particular, the Prefectural Government is concerned that travel times to Yamagata are not competitive, with the fastest services between Yamagata and Shinjō (approx. 421 km) taking 3h 11m, longer than the 2h 59m fastest time for the 714 km between Tōkyō and Shin-Aomori. Introduction of the E6 onto the Akita Shinkansen, JR East’s other “mini” Shinkansen, has also reduced travel times between Tōkyō and Akita (approx. 663 km) to 3h 45 m.

===

I’m extremely doubtful we’ll ever see these built… Putting some new E6s on the Yamagata Shinkansen seems like a much more realistic improvement.

Yamagata Shinkansen clips:

Old October 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #872
quashlo

Snow fences on Akita Shinkansen to be completed in December
秋田新幹線脱線:事故受け、防雪柵を設置

http://mainichi.jp/area/akita/news/2...40006000c.html

Following a minor derailment in March of this year, JR East’s Akita office has been installing snow fences (防雪柵) on approx. 2.4 km of the JR Ōu Line near the site of the accident, between Jingūji (神宮寺) and Kariwano (刈和野) and between Kariwano and Mineyoshikawa (峰吉川). The railway expects to complete the work, estimated to cost around ¥1 billion to ¥2 billion, by December.

The fences are coated steel, measuring 4 m high, placed upwind to prevent snow from blowing onto the tracks. Final reports regarding the March derailment are being prepared by both the Transport Safety Commission (運輸安全委員会) and JR East, and are expected to be published by year’s end.

===

E3 and E6 in the snow on the Akita Shinkansen:

3737 liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #873
sacto7654

I think there is a chance that there will be consideration for a new Shinkansen line, initially north from Niigata to Akita, then eventually to Shin-Aomori. Since it won't require long trains like it does on the Tōhoku line, they could run essentially use improved eight-car versions of the well-tried E2 trainset limited to a top speed to 260 km/h. This line may be the last new Shinkansen line to be approved and built, since they've already started planning to extend the Hokuriku line westward to (likely) terminate at Kyoto, they've started work on the Nagasaki line extension, and it's likely engineering work has begun to extend the Hokkaido line from Shin-Hakodate to Sapporo.
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #874
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Oh there are always crazy proposals though

Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a Tottori Shinkansen (lol)
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #875
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

First E7 trainset delivered to JR East depot in Rifu (Miyagi Pref.)

asahi, sasinleu liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #876
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

Oh there are always crazy proposals though

Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a Tottori Shinkansen (lol)
As a taxpayer, I certainly hope not.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:50 PM   #877
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
As a taxpayer, I certainly hope not.
While I am not sure how the master plan groups or names the routes, I see the following routes on the master plan (excluding the ones firmly planned):
  1. Osaka-Matsue-Shimonoseki
  2. Okayama-Matsue
  3. Hakata-Oita-Kagoshima
  4. Kumamoto-Oita
  5. Okayama-Takamatsu-Oita
  6. Takamatsu-Kochi
  7. Takamatsu-Naruto-Akashi
  8. Toyama-Niigata-Akita-Aomori
  9. Fukushima-Yamagata-Akita (full Shinkansen)
  10. Oshamanbe-Muroran-Sapporo
  11. Sapporo-Asahikawa
Which of these 11 would you, as a taxpayer, be most willing to put up with?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:18 PM   #878
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

8 and 9 are the most likely to generate benefits in my opinion.
Maybe 2 as well
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:31 AM   #879
sacto7654

#8--Niigata to Shin-Aomori via Yamagata, Shinjo and Akita--may likely be the very last Shinkansen line approved and built in Japan.
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM   #880
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Osaka-Matsue-Shimonoseki route may get a Maglev extension in the future when Chuo Shinkansen reaches Osaka to develop an alternative route for the Sanyo Shinkansen and provide a direct route from Tokyo to Hakata within 2~3 hours which will become direct competition with air travel.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote