daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #901
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

The E7 began its first true running tests in the late hours of 2013.11.21 and into the wee hours of the following morning.

Video at Ichinoseki Station:

There’s also a video here.
http://www.tulip-tv.co.jp/news/detai...20131122115058

Sr.Horn liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:41 AM   #902
quashlo

Elected officials take a tour of the under-construction Kurobe – Unazuki Onsen Station on the Hokuriku Shinkansen. The station will be completed in June 2014.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #903
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
One question I've always wondered: How does the ride of a mini-Shinkansen compare with a normal Shinkansen. The width shouldn't be an issue, but the shorter carriages may.
There are designed to provide a comfortable ride equivalent to the full-size shinkansen, as they run coupled together. Thus the use of active suspension and dampers connecting each carriage.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #904
quashlo

E7 unit F1 arrives at Sendai during running tests (2013.11.21):

A separate news report from the Toyama area:

Flatbed delivery of Cars 1 and 2 from Sendai Port to the Shinkansen facility in Rifu, shot in late October:

3737, xwisz liked this post
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #905
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Wow, they assembled that trainset pretty fast. Hopefully, after the public presentation on 28 November 2013, we'll see this trainset running in daytime at speed between Sendai and Morioka or Sendai and Fukushima.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #906
quashlo

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to appreciate it at night.
Looking pretty good, though... It's a clear break from the E5 / E6 styling, but nice in its own right.

I'm still a bit curious about what minor differences, if any, there will be between the JR East and JR West sets... Obviously, the primary equipment will be identical, but I can imagine some minor differences in interior finishes, etc.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #907
quashlo

Shizuoka Prefecture to study new Tōkaidō Shinkansen station at Shizuoka Airport
富士山静岡空港に新幹線の新駅検討/11月27日まで参加表明/静岡県

http://www.kensetsunews.com/?p=22385

Shizuoka Prefecture has begun the RFP process for a study to evaluate construction of a new station on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen at Shizuoka Airport, located in Shimada and Makinohara Cities. After the completion of the Chūō Shinkansen, service patterns on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen are expected to undergo dramatic change. The Shinkansen passes directly underneath the airport, but does not serve the airport.

The study will identify the prerequisite conditions for getting the station built, as well as develop ridership projections, evaluate the feasibility of the project, and produce conceptual renderings of the station. The ridership projections will take into account the Prefectural Government’s urban planning efforts for the area surrounding the airport and strategies to expand airport demand. For the feasibility study, the winning team will evaluate two design proposals submitted by the Prefectural Government based on engineering standards, looking at structural design, constructability, estimated cost, and other factors.

The RFP calls for a contract not to exceed ¥5 million, with a proposal deadline of 2014.03.17.
Old November 25th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #908
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

7000, N700 & 500 series Shinkansen at Shin-Yamaguchi
25th May 2013

Silver Swordsman, CP11, KingNick liked this post

Last edited by Black Watch; November 25th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #909
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
There are designed to provide a comfortable ride equivalent to the full-size shinkansen, as they run coupled together. Thus the use of active suspension and dampers connecting each carriage.
That was exactly the reason for my question: Given the lengths they have gone through, has anybody, for personal experience, noticed any major differences?
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #910
quashlo

The best quality clips I’ve seen of the E7 trainset, shown here at Sendai. JR East just held the press tour of the trainset, but there’s nothing on YouTube yet, so I’ll refrain from posting anything for now.

Old November 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #911
sacto7654

quashlo, you looking for this?

FNN Report:

JNN Report:

Note the JNN report shows the driver's cab on the train. An interesting aspect of the FNN report shows the full "washing" toilet from TOTO installed in the (I think) the restroom in the Gran Class car....
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #912
quashlo

No, that is the standard, wheelchair-accessible restroom design for the E7... All of the wheelchair-accessible restrooms in each trainset will look like that, including the washlet functionality. I don't believe Gran Class comes with dedicated restrooms.

Anyways, looks like JR East / JR West have JR Central beat on the washlets... The newest N700A doesn't even have them, just standard airplane toilets, although the additional orders starting from FY2014 will have them.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #913
quashlo

JR Central announces new snow measures for Tōkaidō Shinkansen
東海道新幹線、雪の徐行減らす みぞれは平常運転

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...21C13A1CR8000/

On 2013.11.27, JR Central announced that it will introduce new devices that will allow the railway to determine the condition of snow on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen. The devices use laser beams to identify whether the precipitation is snow or sleet. In the case of the latter, the railway can continue to run trains at high speed and forego establishing slow zones. As a result, the devices, to be installed at 10 locations between Gifu Hashima and Kyōto and begin operating this winter, will minimize schedule disruptions from weather.

The railway establishes slow zones during snowfall to prevent snow from flying up, attaching to the underbody of Shinkansen cars, and freezing into solid ice. When the ice falls off the underbody, it can push ballast onto the rails, a dangerous situation for high-speed operations.

Sleet, on the other hand, features a high percentage of liquid water and is much less likely to fly up. As a result, the railway can continue high-speed Shinkansen operations during sleet fall. Thus far, train operators have determined the type of precipitation visually, but the new devices will allow for accurate identification of the precipitation.

Unlike the Tōhoku Shinkansen, Jōetsu Shinkansen, and other Shinkansen lines running through heavy-snow areas, the Tōkaidō Shinkansen was not designed to readily deal with snow. Last winter, the railway was forced to implement snow-related speed restrictions on 31 days, resulting in a maximum delay of 34 minutes.

===

Official press release:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001337.html

Snowfall at Maibara:

k.k.jetcar, Equario liked this post
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #914
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Last winter, the railway was forced to implement snow-related speed restrictions on 31 days, resulting in a maximum delay of 34 minutes.
In a lot of countries the railways come to a near halt when a substantial amount of snow fall. Japan really shows the way on what you can do to reduce the problem.
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #915
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
The railway establishes slow zones during snowfall to prevent snow from flying up, attaching to the underbody of Shinkansen cars, and freezing into solid ice. When the ice falls off the underbody, it can push ballast onto the rails, a dangerous situation for high-speed operations.
Though not high speed lines, here in Hokkaido they put netting over ballast within station limits and approaches to minimize the incidents of flying ballast caused by passing trains possibly hitting waiting passengers.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #916
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

So THAT's why some stations suddenly switch from ballasted to ballastless slab track near stations...
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #917
quashlo

Illustrating the problem...
Snow flying up underneath an E5:

Sort of begs the question of whether or not JR Central will convert the ballasted track at Sekigahara (basically the single biggest problem location for snow on the entire Tōkaidō Shinkansen) to slab track when they carry out the major infrastructure upgrades for the line in the coming years.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #918
quashlo

A more comprehensive video report on the E7 press tour two days ago... Has a lot more info, and shows much more of the interior, including shots of the Green Car, which actually looks pretty darn good, even next to the Gran Class.

For the train’s livery, the base color is ivory white, but with a blue swath at top representing the sky and strokes of gold, drawing from the Hokuriku region’s rich history of bronze metalwork and Damascening (象嵌). The train has a total of 853 standard seats (10 cars) in 3+2 configuration, with seats that are 6 cm wider than the E2 series (104 cm vs. 98 cm). Car 11 (Green Car) features 63 seats in 2+2 layout, with now-standard amenities including button-controlled reclining and headrest-embedded reading lights, but I must say they did a bang-up job on the design. Car 12 is the GranClass (18 seats), which you can see looks mostly like the E5 and E6 Gran Class cars, but with some gorgeous decorative paneling (featuring the four seasons) near the doors. The seats include the same amenities as the Green Car seats, plus adjustable headrests, floorlights, and other features. The Gran Class car also features a full-active suspension to maximize ride comfort.

Huhu, xwisz liked this post
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #919
sacto7654

Thanks for that new TV news story!

From what I see, the E7/W7 is essentially an E5 but designed for a much slower top speed (260 km/h, versus 300 km/h for the N700A Series and 320 km/h for the E5/E6 series). As such, it doesn't need to have a very pointed nose.

Speaking of which, I wonder has JR East/JR West thought about running refurbished E2 trainsets on the all-stops Hakutaka service, essentially upgrading E2's to the same specification E2's used on the Asama service?
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM   #920
quashlo

Well, the E2-0 J-class sets on the Tōhoku Shinkansen are either headed for the scrapper or being shifted onto the Jōetsu Shinkansen as part of the phasing out of the 200 series and E4 series from that line. It's already over 50% complete, as they only have a handful more sets remaining.

I suppose they could shift the other J-class sets (E2-1000 series), which are a few years younger than the E2-0 series sets, but they aren't currently equipped to deal with the Nagano Shinkansen's frequency change from 50 Hz to 60 Hz between Karuizawa and Sakudaira... Only the E2-0 sets are.

This chart shows a good overview of the E2 fleet:
http://blog-imgs-50.fc2.com/v/v/v/vv...62033564f9.jpg

Basically, there are 14 N-class E2 sets (designated as part of the E2-0 series), which are the ones used on the Nagano Shinkansen. From the JR West and JR East press releases, we already know that there will be 17 E7 and 10 W7 sets, and I believe the general understanding is that the E7 / W7 will eventually be the sole series on the Nagano / Hokuriku Shinkansen (similar to how the E5 / E6 will be the sole series on the Tōhoku Shinkansen and E2 will be the sole series on the Jōetsu Shinkansen).

Given that it's ~225 km already to Nagano, and the extension to Kanazawa is another 225+ km, we're basically doubling the length of the line, so a fleet of 27 trainsets, each 50% longer (12 cars vs. 8 cars), seems sufficient just based on eyeballing the proportions. This would seem to confirm that these will be the sole sets on the line, although we can probably expect the E2s will be around for at least a few years after the opening of the extension, until there are enough E7 / W7 sets.