daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #961
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
How tough, isn't it? Japan is perhaps the only railway in the world, which have PSDs on most stations in the populated cities.
Well, platform doors are still less common in Japan than they are in most newer systems in Asia, just because of all the legacy infrastructure... It's just much easier to do platform doors with a brand new line that in it is to go back and add them to an existing line, much less one that is over 50 years old and has to deal with issues like inconsistent door positions, inconsistent carlengths, etc. For sure, Japan is ahead of the curve in upgrading legacy rail lines with platform doors.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #962
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
While Hokuriko shinkansen taking shape ahead, any update for the Hokkaido shinkansen line what are the latest development on that.
Aerial video of the alignment in Aomori:

Current progress as of November 1, 2013:
http://hokkaido-shinkansen-navi.jp/construction/

Shared Shinkansen–zairasen section (82 km):
Civil works: 100% complete

New Shinkansen sections (66.3 km):
Tunnels: 100% complete
All non-tunnel sections: 100% complete
Trackwork (laying of rail and track slab): 10% complete
Electrical: 0% complete
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #963
quashlo

Pics from an open house event held a few weeks ago (2013.11.20) at the future Shin-Hakodate Station and future Hakodate General Rolling Stock Center (函館総合車両基地). Press officials and 20 randomly-selected members of the public were invited to tour the construction sites.
http://fripperblog.blog51.fc2.com/blog-entry-161.html

Only 862 days left to the opening, scheduled for spring 2016:

Shin-Hakodate Station under construction. This station will be located in Hokuto City on the outskirts of Hakodate, and there is some controversy over what to name it, since Hakodate is the better known city by far. This is the south face of the station building—the tracks will lead to Aomori on the right side and Sapporo on the left.

The station building will also include a tourism information center and souvenir shops selling local delicacies and other products.

Land readjustment (redevelopment) at the station. The mountain in the distance is Mt. Hakodate in the city, which will be visible as soon as passengers exit the faregates thanks to the glass curtain wall.

The station is being built next to the existing Oshima Ōno Station (渡島大野) on the zairasen Hakodate Main Line. Unlike most Shinkansen–zairasen transfer stations, this one will have the Shinkansen platforms at ground level. With the opening of the extension to Hakodate, it will only take 2h 30m to Sendai and about 4h to Tōkyō.

Equario liked this post
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #964
quashlo

Next, photos of Hakodate General Rolling Stock Center, the new railyard and maintenance facility for the first phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen to Hakodate. It covers about 35 ha of land, equivalent to about 6 Sapporo Domes, and will include facilities for train storage and maintenance, a transformer station, and an administrative building. There are only 5 of these “general rolling stock centers” in all of Japan.

Local news stations were present:

View from the rooftop of the administrative building. The cranes in the distance indicate the location of Shin-Hakodate Station relative to the yard. Following the tracks to the left will take you back to Aomori and the rest of Honshū. The building on the right is the maintenance facility, the one on the left is the car barn. The latter will have four bays when the first phase opens, eventually increasing to the full 14 bays when the second phase to Sapporo opens.

The view behind to Hakodate:

Interior of the maintenance facility. Each bay is 350 m long, enough for a 10-car formation plus 50 m clearance at both ends.

Equario liked this post
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #965
quashlo

Helicopter footage of all the stations on the Hokuriku Shinkansen, courtesy of Asahi Shimbun. Gives a good overview of the context of each station.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #966
quashlo

Japan's Abe talks up bullet train to Malaysia in meeting
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...eting-20131212

Quote:
TOKYO (AFP) - Japan's prime minister went into bat for the country's high speed train technology in a meeting with his Malaysian counterpart on Thursday, as part of his bid to boost infrastructure exports.

Shinzo Abe told Prime Minister Najib Razak that Japan's rail know-how was second to none as the two men met ahead of a special summit between Tokyo and the fast-growing Asean.

"For the high-speed rail that will link Malaysia and Singapore, I strongly requested Malaysia to choose Shinkansen technology," Abe said in a joint press statement with Najib.

The meeting came on the eve of an annual gathering of heads of government from Japan and the 10 members of Asean, which Tokyo will host this weekend.
ANN news report:

FNN news report:

Old December 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #967
quashlo

Daytime E7 testing (2013.12.12):

At Sendai:

At Ichinoseki, including a few high-speed passes at the end:

3737, Equario, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #968
quashlo

JIC wins feasibility study for Mumbai – Ahmedabad high-speed line
インド高速鉄道の事業化調査、日本勢が落札

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...11C13A2TJ1000/

On 2013.12.13, a consortium of Japanese firms led by Japan International Consultations for Transportation (JIC, 日本コンサルタンツ), a joint venture of East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and 9 other railway operators, together with Oriental Consultants (オリエンタルコンサルタンツ) and Nippon Kōei (日本工営), announced that it had won a contract to produce a feasibility study for construction of a high-speed rail line linking Mumbai, the largest city in southern India, with the industrial city of Ahmedabad in western India. According to a report issued by the committee tasked with modernizing India’s national railway network, the line will be India’s first high-speed line to be constructed, and it is hoped that the news may be a positive step towards exporting Shinkansen technology to India.

The ¥600 million contract covers studies for the 500 km line. A pre-feasibility study for this line was conducted in FY2009 by Indian firm RITES and French firm Systra, followed by additional project studies in FY2012 by JIC and Oriental Consultants. As part of this new feasibility study, about 30 technical staff will be brought in from Japan, conducting various tasks through July 2015:

Development of a master plan and construction plan (基本計画や建設計画の策定)
Ridership forecasts (需要予測)
Planning-level cost estimation (概算事業費の算出)
Investigation into project scheme (事業スキームの検討)
Studies of project implementation, operation, and maintenance / administration structures (事業実施及び運行・維持管理に関わる体制の検討)
Economic and financial analysis (経済財務分析)
Investigation of legal framework and technological standards (法制度・技術基準類の検討)
Preparation of an environmental assessment report (環境アセスメント報告の作成)

The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed an MOU concerning the feasibility study with India’s railway ministry in October. A total of 7 high-speed lines are in planning stages in India, and Japanese firms have now succeeded in winning contracts to prepare feasibility studies for three of the lines.

===

JIC press release:
http://www.jictransport.co.jp/admin/...ku_keiyaku.pdf

Old December 13th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #969
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

There's anything plan for other new E shinkansen to be follow after E5, E6 and E7 if have it would be call E8 and i think this train would be dsign for yamagata shinkansen to replace also the existing fleet run on the line.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #970
riles28
train

Quashlo thank for update on Hokkaido shinkansen, and do you have a full blown pic of the E7 thanks again
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #971
quashlo

Ask and ye shall receive.
I resized them to 1024p, so if you want larger, you can check the original source URLs.

Source: http://pub.ne.jp/WarkingRyu/?entry_id=5130866

Source: http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1024.html

Source: http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1053.html

3737 liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #972
quashlo

Source: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/liosoul/e/2133...e6c8fff9bf828d

Source: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/liosoul/e/d8ab...8eaebf36c72e23

Source: http://ihoku.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSC_0927.jpg

Old December 15th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #973
quashlo

The E7 made its first appearance in the Kantō region on 2013.12.14 after some testing up in Tōhoku.

Clips at Ōmiya and Tōkyō. Interesting to compare the E5 departure at 1:45 to the E7 passes and the E2 arrival at 5:45… There is a very noticeable difference in train noise, particularly from the pantographs. The E7 appears to have reduced the pantograph noise somewhat compared to the E2, but it doesn’t feature all the technological and engineering flair of the E5 since it only needs to run at 260 km/h.

Deadeye Reloaded, KingNick liked this post
Old December 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #974
quashlo

Pics:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1059.html

Old December 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #975
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Upon seeing the concept drawings I was worried it'd be quite an ugly set, with an awkward colour scheme and strange nose

Very glad to have been proved soundly wrong
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #976
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder has JR East mentioned when will they start testing E7 trainset F1 between Tokyo and Nagano?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #977
riles28
train

Why the E7 call also as W7 ? They have a plan to connect the Hokuriko line to Tokaido line to allow E7 run in tokaido line?
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #978
riles28
train

In my own obsevation the E7 is upgraded model of 500 series
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #979
adventurenepal

Likes (Received): 2

if that high speed rail was in my country, I could cross from east point to west point in 2 or 3 hours I bet.
adventurenepal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #980
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I wonder has JR East mentioned when will they start testing E7 trainset F1 between Tokyo and Nagano?
They already are...

ANN news report.
F1 arrived at Karuizawa at 22:30 on 2013.12.14, departing at 00:00 for Nagano to confirm the frequency switch (50 Hz to 60 Hz) and performance on high-grade sections.

Arrival at Nagano: