daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #981
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
Why the E7 call also as W7 ? They have a plan to connect the Hokuriko line to Tokaido line to allow E7 run in tokaido line?
The Hokuriku Shinkansen will be operated jointly by JR East (green) and JR West (blue):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kansen_map.png

The E7 and W7 are basically the same, just that the E7s will be owned by JR East and the W7s owned by JR West.

Quote:
In my own obsevation the E7 is upgraded model of 500 series
In terms of paint scheme, there is definitely a similarity. In terms of specs, the E7 / W7 is actually based on the E2.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #982
quashlo

Pics of the E7 at Tōkyō Station:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1061.html

Stopped on Track 20, as railway staff scramble to confirm the door positions in the few minutes of dwell time available.

Even the cleaning staff, renowned for their punctuality and efficiency in turning around trains at the station, are curious about this new guest… I imagine they must get their own training and practice time on how to clean each specific train series at the yard, so it shouldn’t be long before they get to see the inside for themselves.

Some of the markings made by staff. The variety in rolling stock designs means that the doors don’t necessarily line up, although in this case, Car 11 on the E7 lines up with this platform marker for Car 11 on the E4 double-decker sets.

The full-color LED destination signs were set to “試運転 Test Run”

At 21:00, Unit F1 leaves for Nagano…

Old December 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #983
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

What will happen to the 681 limited express train run from osaka to hokuriko when the hokuriko shinkansen open the west japan railways will reduce it or revise the time table or some revision on the route? and i noticed the 681 is famous among passenger came from osaka to hokuriko it's just like shinkansen when its run.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #984
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
What will happen to the 681 limited express train run from osaka to hokuriko when the hokuriko shinkansen open the west japan railways will reduce it or revise the time table or some revision on the route? and i noticed the 681 is famous among passenger came from osaka to hokuriko it's just like shinkansen when its run.
The services such as Super Raicho will be cut back in distance, terminating at the shinkansen railhead at that moment in time. They will be timed to connect with the shinkansen.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #985
k.k.jetcar

Some test runs at speed on the Tohoku Shinkansen, locations Furukawa, Ichinoseki, and environs.

Old December 16th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #986
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

It has a real scream to it as it runs, what causes that?
New wheels? New engine type?
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #987
quashlo

Not exactly sure where you're referring to... Is there a specific timepoint in the video?

There was perhaps some "resonance" or humming in the first two passes, but I imagine noise can be a tricky thing to try and determine from a YouTube video, since a lot of what you hear just depends on the settings and equipment used, not to mention all the post-processing. Ignoring those, then it could perhaps just be new wheels not fully adjusted to the rail profile. I think those particular sections of the Tōhoku Shinkansen are also fairly old, and probably generate substantially more noise and vibration than ballast track or more modern slab track designs.

Just at face (ear?) value, there appears to be only minor differences between E5 and E7 in this video, shot at a fair distance from the track... The E5 seems a bit more muffled perhaps.

Old December 17th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #988
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

It sounds most like it's the engines - it surprised me as the E5 didn't catch my attention as much in that way
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #989
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
The Thunderbird and Shirasagi trains that used to terminate at Toyama will now terminate at Kanazawa instead starting March 2015.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #990
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

The E7 motors sound distinctly different from those by previous models. Is there any published technical specs on the E7 propulsion systems?
Old December 18th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #991
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
The E7 motors sound distinctly different from those by previous models. Is there any published technical specs on the E7 propulsion systems?
No, it's still too early. Perhaps the railway magazines this month (sell date Dec. 21) will have some details. All we know is that the motors are built to handle the grades on the Usui Pass area between Takasaki and Karuizawa. Recent JR East shinkansen models (the E5 and likely the E6), have used Hitachi IGBT motors- these of course are tuned for 320km/h running on the Tohoku Shinkansen. The E2, which apparently is what the E7 is based on, uses motors from a variety of makers.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #992
quashlo

Tōkaidō Shinkansen speed-up could happen in spring 2015
東海道新幹線の最高速度引き上げ JR東海社長方針

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...11C13A2TJ0000/

At a press conference on 2013.12.19, Central Japan Railway Company (東海旅客鉄道) president Yamada Yoshiomi (山田佳臣) indicated that the railway intends to increase the maximum operating speed of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, currently set at 270 km/h. If realized, this would be the first speed upgrade for the line since the introduction of the Nozomi services in 1992, reducing travel times between Japan’s two largest metropolises. The railway has already conducted a series of late-night running tests to determine impacts to both rolling stock and existing infrastructure such as tracks, and plans to file an application for approvals to operate at higher speeds with the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) early next year.

Because of the high number of curves on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, the speed upgrades would affect only a small portion of the line, but the president says that no specific changes to rolling stock are needed, as Tōkaidō Shinkansen trains already through-service with the San’yō Shinkansen between Shin-Ōsaka and Hakata, where the top speed is 300 km/h. The railway is currently collecting data on ride comfort and potential impacts to the surrounding environment, but it’s likely that the speed-up could happen as early as the spring 2015 timetable change.

===

FNN video report.
This report, as well as some articles from other news sources, seem to indicate that the speed-up may be restricted to runs operate with N700A units. Based on the timing, it would seem that elimination of most of the 700 series from the line was a key requirement... Currently, only 700, N700, and N700A sets are used on the line.

Good to see movement on this, as I was beginning to question whether they were really committed to a speed-up of the line given the progress on the Chūō Shinkansen maglev.

There was no mention of the new top speed or the affected segments, but it seems likely that this would be a speed upgrade to 300 km/h for the Maibara–Kyōto section of the line, but there are some additional relatively straight sections, such as Toyohashi – Nagoya and Shizuoka – Kakegawa where it may also be possible to do 300 km/h. Currently, the fastest travel times on the line are 1h 35m for Tōkyō – Nagoya and 2h 25m for Tōkyō – Shin-Ōsaka.

ko7, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #993
sacto7654

quashlo, do you think JR Central is aiming for cutting at least 10-15 minutes off the fastest run of the Nozomi train between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka Stations?

Actually, an interesting question is how will they speed up the Hayabusa service between Morioka and Shin-Aomori, especially with the large number of tunnels on this part of the Tōhoku Shinkansen route. Will it be possible to run the E5 trainset at 320 km/h through those long tunnels?
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #994
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I like the E7's handsome look. That deep blue color looks great, too. I think camera settings are a bit over saturated but still, nice livery.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #995
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
quashlo, do you think JR Central is aiming for cutting at least 10-15 minutes off the fastest run of the Nozomi train between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka Stations?

Actually, an interesting question is how will they speed up the Hayabusa service between Morioka and Shin-Aomori, especially with the large number of tunnels on this part of the Tōhoku Shinkansen route. Will it be possible to run the E5 trainset at 320 km/h through those long tunnels?
Well, if it's just the Maibara ‒ Kyōto section, I'm not sure they'd really get more than five minutes, if even that, since all trains stop at Kyōto. The articles gave the impression of a relatively minor speed-up, though, and since JR Central has specifically mentioned this section in the past as part of a speed-up of the line, I suspect this is all they're really looking at. Time savings on the order of 10 to 15 minutes isn't "minor", and would probably require speeding up other sections of the line.

As for Tōhoku Shinkansen, I translated that article from JR East Technical Review that basically describes what's involved in further speeding up the line... It's not so much a technological issue (in other words, it's entirely feasible to run the trains faster), but more an engineering and cost issue (finding the cheapest way to mitigate the noise). In that respect, it's really just a matter of time. The second phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen (extension to Sapporo) will probably be the final piece of the puzzle, providing the necessary business justification for JR East to actually take the necessary steps to mitigate lineside noise and design appropriate rolling stock to operate at 360 km/h.
Old December 20th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #996
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Hayabusa "GranClass"First Class

Equario liked this post

Last edited by castermaild55; December 21st, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #997
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Well, if it's just the Maibara ‒ Kyōto section, I'm not sure they'd really get more than five minutes, if even that, since all trains stop at Kyōto. The articles gave the impression of a relatively minor speed-up, though, and since JR Central has specifically mentioned this section in the past as part of a speed-up of the line, I suspect this is all they're really looking at. Time savings on the order of 10 to 15 minutes isn't "minor", and would probably require speeding up other sections of the line.

As for Tōhoku Shinkansen, I translated that article from JR East Technical Review that basically describes what's involved in further speeding up the line... It's not so much a technological issue (in other words, it's entirely feasible to run the trains faster), but more an engineering and cost issue (finding the cheapest way to mitigate the noise). In that respect, it's really just a matter of time. The second phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen (extension to Sapporo) will probably be the final piece of the puzzle, providing the necessary business justification for JR East to actually take the necessary steps to mitigate lineside noise and design appropriate rolling stock to operate at 360 km/h.
A couple of comments:

1. I do think with the faster acceleration and the ability to slightly "tilt" the trainset with the air suspension of the N700A trainset, JR Central could crank up the speeds on many parts Tokaidō Shinkansen line--including long stretches of 300 km/h running between Atami and Nagoya Stations and between Maibara and Kyoto Stations. It's the 300 km/h speeds on these stretches that may make a ten-minute improvement in travel time on the Nozomi train possible between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka. And with the retirement of the earlier 700 Series trainsets, JR Central might even be able to increase the speeds even between Shin-Yokohama and Atami Stations, since every train will be able to take the curves on this part of the line faster.

2. As for the Tōhoku Shinkansen, with the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen extension to Shin-Hakodate Station in March 2016, there will be pressing need to up the speed on every part of the line between Omiya and Shin-Aomori Stations. With the slow phaseout of the E2 trainsets off the Tōhoku line with E5 and E6 trainsets, I wouldn't be surprised that by 2016-2017 we may see speeds as high as 340 km/h between Omiya and Morioka and 320 km/h from Morioka to Shin-Aomori.
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #998
k.k.jetcar

E7 to begin revenue operations on Nagano Shinkansen in March

*cross posted from JNS Forum

According to a report today in the Shinano Mainichi Shimbun, E7 trains will begin revenue operations on the Nagano Shinkansen route between Tokyo and Nagano from March 15. Three 12-car E7 trainsets will initially be introduced, providing 7 roundtrip services/day. The services will continue to use the Asama monicker used by the current E2 trains. With this introduction, 1/4 of all Asama services will be run with E7 trainsets (the regular schedule on this route sees 28 r/t a day). As the E7 trainsets are 12 cars, with a passenger capacity of 934, they provide 1.5 times the passenger capacity of the current E2 Asama trainsets, which have 630 seats.

http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201312...I090006000.php
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #999
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Am I the only one who sees a distinct resemblance between the E7 and the 800? Both are somewhat shorter than the full potential length of a Shinkansen (16 cars). Both have a top speed somewhat below that of their contemporaries (>300 kph). Both have somewhat similar noses. Both have wood trim on the interior.

That reminds me: Why is it that Tohoku Shinkansen trains seem to have gotten shorter in the past few years. They aren't running any more 16-car consists, aside from paired E4 sets.

The start of the video above brings to mind another question. What are the turn-around times for Shinkansen at Tokyo? At other stations? Are they serviced between every one-way trip? Are all servicings done at the platform? I know that there are some sheds beyond Shin-Osaka that could be used for turning a train real quick-is that sometimes done? Is it faster either way?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:58 AM   #1000
quashlo

Schedule changes for Tōkaidō–San’yō–Kyūshū Shinkansen

Official press releases:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001357.html
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl..._00_honsya.pdf
http://www13.jrkyushu.co.jp/NewsRele...D?OpenDocument

On 2013.12.20, JR Central, JR West, and JR Kyūshū announced that they would implement changes to the Tōkaidō–San’yō–Kyūshū Shinkansen timetable on 2013.03.15 (Saturday).

Tōkaidō–San’yō Shinkansen
Specifically, with the completion of major upgrades at Shin-Ōsaka Station and the ongoing introduction of new N700A trainsets, JR Central will expand the ability to operate a 10 tph Nozomi schedule during high-volume periods such as spring break, Golden Week, and Obon, replacing the current 9 tph Nozomi schedule.

Currently, JR Central operates primarily a 9 tph Nozomi schedule, with the 10 tph Nozomi schedule restricted only to the outbound direction (for Shin-Ōsaka and Hakata) and only for some hours (0700, 0800, 1700, 1800, and 1900 hours). The upcoming timetable revisions will make it possible to operate a 10 tph Nozomi schedule in both directions, and during all hours. This will increase the railway’s flexibility in operating special Nozomi services during high-demand periods such as holidays. Specifically, the outbound schedule from Tōkyō for 0700 to 2000 departures and the inbound schedule into Tōkyō for 0900 to 2100 arrivals will now be able to operate as many as 10 Nozomi services an hour.

JR Central will also expand N700 / N700A use on Hikari and Kodama runs:

Scheduled runs operated with N700 / N700A sets (daily services), current timetable → March 2014 timetable
Nozomi: 163 → 163 (±0)
Hikari: 19 → 39 (+20)
Kodama 26 → 41 (+15)
Total: 208 → 243 (+35)

Other minor changes include the following:
  • Introduction of N700 series sets to Hikari services stopping at Gifu Hashima (岐阜羽島) and Maibara (米原), reducing the travel times for these trains and the following Nozomi services between Tōkyō and Shin-Ōsaka by about 3 minutes.
  • Revisions to Nozomi departure times at Hiroshima Station, converting the inbound Nozomi schedule (for Tōkyō) to roughly 20-minute headways.
===

The basic hourly pattern for the line in the outbound direction (Tōkyō departure time) is designed to allow up to 14 tph (10 Nozomi, 2 Hikari, and 2 Kodama), although some of the slots are non-daily runs, typically operated only on specifically identified days with high passenger volume.

Black = Nozomi
Red = Hikari
Blue = Kodama
bold = irregular service (non-daily, destination changes on specific days, etc.)

xx00: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka
xx03: Hikari for Okayama
xx10: Nozomi for Hakata
xx13: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka, Hiroshima, or Hakata
xx20: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka
xx23: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka
xx26: Kodama for Nagoya
xx30: Nozomi for Hakata
xx33: Hikari for Shin-Ōsaka
xx40: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka, Hiroshima, or Hakata
xx47: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka
xx50: Nozomi for Hiroshima
xx53: Nozomi for Shin-Ōsaka
xx56: Kodama for Shin-Ōsaka

The xx53 slot is currently only operated during the 0700, 0800, 1700, 1800, and 1900 hours, but the timetable changes will now make it possible to operate this slot at all hours. It’s a similar situation in the inbound direction, except that they never operated a max 14 tph schedule (only 13 tph). Now, they will add an additional Nozomi slot to the inbound schedule for high-volume days. The slots added in both directions will operate between Shin-Ōsaka and Tōkyō.

Based on the half-hourly patterns, I imagine they have unused slots at xx17 and xx43 for additional Nozomi runs, which could increase it to a 16 tph schedule. The terminal capacity at Tōkyō may prevent them from running these, but it seems they could feasibly operate them out of Shinagawa, as the four-track layout at Shinagawa was designed to allow for turnbacks there.