daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #1041
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Maybe JR East has temporarily stored E7 trainset F1 until the weather gets better before resuming testing?
All the more reason to continue testing now, as the ability to withstand bad weather is a must for most Japanese trains.

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:50 AM   #1042
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Maybe JR East has temporarily stored E7 trainset F1 until the weather gets better before resuming testing?
Sorry, I didn't mean "stored" to imply that F1 wasn't do any testing at all... I'm sure it's probably been doing a fair amount of testing recently, although perhaps they haven't done much the last few days given the holidays and all the extra services needed. It's extremely difficult to know the testing schedule when in Japan, much less thousands of miles away, and I assume most people who would want a shot of the unit in testing already got their pictures and videos, so we probably won't see much new in terms of YouTube videos or blog posts until F2 begins testing.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1043
quashlo

Anyways, it looks like Kawasaki is tearing away at what will probably become F3, the third unit. This will complete the first set of E7 units that will enter service in March on the Nagano Shinkansen.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/superhakuto.../10997216.html

An E7 car next to some 521 series cars for the Hokuriku Main Line:

Bonus shot:
Taiwan HSR rolling stock

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM   #1044
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Can you locate this plant on Google Maps?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #1045
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean "stored" to imply that F1 wasn't do any testing at all... I'm sure it's probably been doing a fair amount of testing recently, although perhaps they haven't done much the last few days given the holidays and all the extra services needed.
They'll probably get it running again from January 6, 2014--this time doing winter testing, especially the steep grades between Takasaki and Karuizawa. I believe that E7 trainsets F1 and F2 should be ready for revenue service by the middle of March 2014, when they will be assigned to the Asama service between Tokyo and Nagano.

If you're looking for the Kawasaki Heavy Industries plant where the E7 trainsets are now assembled, do the following:

1. Start up http://maps.google.com from a web browser.
2. Enter Hyogo Station, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan for the location.
3. Now follow the spur railroad line from Hyogo Station a little bit.
4. Switch to Satellite display mode.

All those white roofed buildings you see in Satellite display mode belong to the Kawasaki Heavy Industries Hyogo assembly plant, where many trainsets are assembled, including the E5, E6 and now E7 models.

Coccodrillo liked this post

Last edited by sacto7654; January 2nd, 2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add information
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1046
quashlo

Much easier to just provide the link:
http://goo.gl/maps/Q0eJ3

You can see some E5 (JR East) and M8 (New York MTA, Metro North) cars under construction.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:04 PM   #1047
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40878

Quote:

Bonus shot:
Taiwan HSR rolling stock

More high-speed trainsets for Taiwan? There are similar to those already operating today?

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1048
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Is possible find pictures of new trains to venezuela making in japan?
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:15 AM   #1049
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post
This thread is only for the Shinkansen.

Regular Japanese trains go here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...28904&page=324
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1050
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post
That's a good question... I haven't seen anything, but I imagine they should be starting production sometime this year, since the contract, which covers 30 months, was signed over a year ago, based on the October 2012 dates of the press releases:
http://www.n-sharyo.co.jp/business/t.../tp121010.html
http://www.marubeni.co.jp/dbps_data/...12/121010.html
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:19 AM   #1051
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
More high-speed trainsets for Taiwan? There are similar to those already operating today?
They are officially the same series, but the latest order features some improvements (more energy efficient, less noise, better anti-rust measures to deal with the hot + humid climate of Taiwan). The oldest trains in the first order are almost 10 years old, which is a lot of time.
http://japan.cna.com.tw/news/atra/201306260003.aspx

I believe the seat moquettes are also different, so I would imagine there’s some other minor differences in the interior and passenger amenities.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1052
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

You are particularly aggressive in changing rolling stock. With good care and timely refurbishment rolling stock last easily 20-25 years.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #1053
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
You are particularly aggressive in changing rolling stock. With good care and timely refurbishment rolling stock last easily 20-25 years.
That would be true if the rolling stock ran well under 160 km/h, like most of the rolling stock during the JNR days. Indeed, 115 Series EMU's that still ply the Chūō Main Line in central Japan west of Takao Station only have a top speed of 110 km/h (68 mph); as such, with their relatively low top speeds, the physical wear on the rolling stock is low enough they could be refurbished several times (indeed, a number of 115's still operating there are the original units delivered for Chūō Main Line service in the 1960's!).

In contrast, Shinkansen trainsets--because of running at speeds well above 200 km/h (124 mph) in daily service--have a lot of physical wear and tear by the time the trainset reaches 10 years of service. That's why the earliest 0 Series Shinkansen trainsets built in the middle 1960's were already being scrapped by the late 1970's--it was cheaper to scrap them than refurbish them. That was why it was so unusual for JR East to refurbish a number of 200 Series trainsets for Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen line service during the 1990's, with the last trainset only retired back in March 2013.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1054
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

True, HS trains don't last as long as regular ones but I bet they could last longer than 10 years. TGV services, for example, still use many trains built in the late 80-ties. They are not as shiny and perhaps a bit less comfortable than the newest versions, but still good enough for their purpose.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:40 PM   #1055
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quashlo merely mentioned that the oldest rolling stock was reaching ~10 years old, and that requires new rolling stock to begin coming in as part of a prudent phased replacement programme. Those 10 year old stock likely have another 10 years worth of service in them (depending on their utilization and maintenance schedules). Typically, in Japan, shinkansen rolling stock is built for a 20 year service life- the fact that the primary shinkansen operators are for-profit operators, rather than the state-supported model of European railways, means that rolling stock is "aggressively" replaced with lower cost and higher performance models rather than trying to squeeze every last mile out fully depreciated stock.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:11 PM   #1056
quashlo

Yes, the second order of trainsets (4 trains, 48 cars) isn't replacing the first order (30 trains, 360 cars), but augmenting it. Ridership is growing (currently about 122,000 daily passengers in 2012, a 7% year-over-year increase), and they need more trainsets to handle the 2015 expansion of the system—the one-station extension in Taipei to Nangang (南港) in January 2015 and three intermediate stations at Miaoli (苗栗), Changhua (彰化), and Yunlin (雲林) to open in June 2015.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:25 PM   #1057
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
Yes, the second order of trainsets (4 trains, 48 cars) isn't replacing the first order (30 trains, 360 cars), but augmenting it. Ridership is growing (currently about 122,000 daily passengers in 2012, a 7% year-over-year increase), and they need more trainsets to handle the 2015 expansion of the system—the one-station extension in Taipei to Nangang (南港) in January 2015 and three intermediate stations at Miaoli (苗栗), Changhua (彰化), and Yunlin (雲林) to open in June 2015.
Very nice. Taiwan High Speed Rail wasn't widely used at the beginning of its operations (only 40,000 passengers per day) and some people said that this system was like a "white elephant".

It's true that N700 trainsets have tilting suspension? I saw this on Wikipedia, but as we shouldn't believe everything that is write in that site ...

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #1058
sacto7654

Quote:
It's true that N700 trainsets have tilting suspension? I saw this on Wikipedia, but as we shouldn't believe everything that is write in that site ...
I've seen other sources say the N700 has an air suspension system that can tilt the trainset one degree to improve cornering speed. But the major improvement with the N700 is the faster acceleration, important on the Tokaidō Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1059
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
I've seen other sources say the N700 has an air suspension system that can tilt the trainset one degree to improve cornering speed. But the major improvement with the N700 is the faster acceleration, important on the Tokaidō Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka.
Hum... What's the current top speed on Tokaido Shinkansen? Ah, and 500 series is still operating?

Old January 4th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #1060
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Hum... What's the current top speed on Tokaido Shinkansen? Ah, and 500 series is still operating?
I believe Tokaido runs at a top speed of 270km/h, but will soon have some portions sped up to 300km/h.

The 500 series no longer runs on Tokaido. The original 16-car Nozomi (W-formation) have been retrofitted into 8-car Kodama (V-formation) trainsets for use on the Sanyo Shinkansen.