daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1101
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

E7 series in service from March 15

According to a report today in the Shinano Mainichi Shimbun, E7 trains will begin revenue operations on the Nagano Shinkansen route between Tokyo and Nagano from March 15. Three 12-car E7 trainsets will initially be introduced, providing 7 roundtrip services/day. The services will continue to use the Asama monicker used by the current E2 trains. With this introduction, 1/4 of all Asama services will be run with E7 trainsets (the regular schedule on this route sees 28 r/t a day). As the E7 trainsets are 12 cars, with a passenger capacity of 934, they provide 1.5 times the passenger capacity of the current E2 Asama trainsets, which have 630 seats.

http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201312...I090006000.php

Additional information:
1. After next April, approximately one E7 trainset per month will be introduced to Asama services, replacing E2 formations.

2. Digital ATC will be introduced to the Nagano Shinkansen Line (currently the line uses analog ATC-1D adapted for 50/60hz current). This will shorten travel time on up direction services (Nagano-Tokyo), in one instance three minutes, to 1hr 20 min for the fastest service.

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/12/20/350/

Thanks to bikkuri bahn @ JNSForum
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #1102
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Unforunately, once the E7's start to enter service in larger numbers, we could see the E2's now in Asama service--the oldest E2's built--all head for the scrapyard, unless JR East decides to rebuild a small number of them and assign them to only the Tokyo-Nagano Asama service in the future like what they did with a number of 200 Series trainsets that got life extensions in the late 1990's.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #1103
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Toyama Prefecture has produced a new commercial in preparation for the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa and will begin airing the CM for a two-week period in March at the Shinjuku Piccadilly (新宿ピカデリー) movie theater and 66 TV screens at the Tōkyō Sky Tree.

News report.
The CM was filmed and directed by Motoki Katsuhide (本木克英), a native son of Toyama, and features rakugo (落語) performer from Imizu City, Tatekawa Shinosuke (立川志の輔), speaking in his native Toyama dialect. There are four different versions, each 15 s spots.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1104
quashlo

E7 began daytime testing on the Nagano Shinkansen on 2014.01.08. First day was two roundtrips (Tōkyō – Nagoya), reaching top speed (260 km/h) in order to get enough training in for the operators. Revenue service with E7 trainsets will begin on 2014.03.15.

News report:

Departing Nagano Station (2014.01.09):

A KNB video report on the changes at Toyama Station, focusing on some of the areas where local firms in Toyama are making contributions to the construction and design of the new line. Includes some details on the concrete slab segments and track switches, as well as a bit on the Free Gauge Train.

Equario liked this post
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1105
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40802

Is there any project for a possible Shikoku Shinkansen?

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #1106
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Is there any project for a possible Shikoku Shinkansen?
I also always wondered, but I guess they will use the Gauge changing train and cross the bridge to Shikoku etc.. I would have personally loved drawing a straight line from Nagoya to Fukuoka and imagine the great works that could be done there. Still, planes, shrinking populations etc..too bad
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1107
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

I think that a "mini-Shinkansen" system could be the best option to Shikoku. This possible "Shikoku Shinkansen" would start in Okayama Station (Sanyo Shinkansen) with the trains running on Seto-Ohashi Line to Takamatsu. Thus, the line would follow Yosan Line to Matsuyama, the teminus station.

Inside Shikoku island, Shikoku Shinkansen would have a extension of 195 Km. Between Okayama and Yosan Line, plus 46 Km. In all, the line would have 241 Km.

Stations of Shikoku Shinkansen would be as follow: Okayama, Utazu, Takamatsu, Tadotsu, Kanonji, Iyomishima and Matsuyama.

For this, Yosan and Seto-Ohashi Lines they would have the gauge changed to 1435 mm, allowing a maximum safe speed of 140-150 km/h. However, I suggested the use of tilting trains with same technology of Alstom Pendolino (with Japanese-build trains, of course), with top speed of 175 Km/h. So, a service between Okayama and Matsuyama would have a duration of 100 minutes.

Shikoku Shinkansen trains would have two services:

- Seto: Shin-Osaka/Takamatsu

- Ishizuchi: Okayama/Matsuyama

With Shikoku Shinkansen, the night train Sunrise Seto wolud be canceled.

Old January 29th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1108
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
A KNB video report on the changes at Toyama Station, focusing on some of the areas where local firms in Toyama are making contributions to the construction and design of the new line. Includes some details on the concrete slab segments and track switches, as well as a bit on the Free Gauge Train.

In the last video at around 2:30 they show some of the ballastless which actually rests on cushions. Is this new? I assume the purpose is to reduce noise and vibration which are a much bigger issue with ballastless track than with its counterpart. Can someone elaborate on the pros and cons of this?
For example do they have to keep pumping air into them all the time or regularly or do they use it everywhere on the track or just special sections?
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:26 AM   #1109
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
I think that a "mini-Shinkansen" system could be the best option to Shikoku. This possible "Shikoku Shinkansen" would start in Okayama Station (Sanyo Shinkansen) with the trains running on Seto-Ohashi Line to Takamatsu. Thus, the line would follow Yosan Line to Matsuyama, the teminus station.

Inside Shikoku island, Shikoku Shinkansen would have a extension of 195 Km. Between Okayama and Yosan Line, plus 46 Km. In all, the line would have 241 Km.

Stations of Shikoku Shinkansen would be as follow: Okayama, Utazu, Takamatsu, Tadotsu, Kanonji, Iyomishima and Matsuyama.

For this, Yosan and Seto-Ohashi Lines they would have the gauge changed to 1435 mm, allowing a maximum safe speed of 140-150 km/h. However, I suggested the use of tilting trains with same technology of Alstom Pendolino (with Japanese-build trains, of course), with top speed of 175 Km/h. So, a service between Okayama and Matsuyama would have a duration of 100 minutes.

Shikoku Shinkansen trains would have two services:

- Seto: Shin-Osaka/Takamatsu

- Ishizuchi: Okayama/Matsuyama

With Shikoku Shinkansen, the night train Sunrise Seto wolud be canceled.
I would think that the GCT would be far more feasible. Furthermore, I doubt that there could be such an increase in speed derived from changing the gauge, not to mention the high costs and attendant drop in local capacity. Introducing a tilting variant of the GCT would probably be the most cost-effective option.

Furthermore, this would allow the Sunrise Seto to continue to run. As it's apparently rather popular, I imagine that people would continue to ride it.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:20 AM   #1110
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Yes, a possible tilting GCT between Okayama (or Shin-Osaka), Takamatsu and Matsuyama could be a good option.

But I think that Japan is taking too long to develop GCT. Spain has Talgo gauge change system since 1960's and It works in Alta Velocidad Española (Spanish high-speed train), with excellent results. Meanwhile, RTRI tests the new concept since 1998 and two prototipes have been built.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1111
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Japan is working within the constraints of a narrower gauge. It also has to cope with greater performance tolerances on the Shinkansen, which was not originally intended for backwards compatability, and therefore likely has higher standards to meet. Furthermore, there is less incentive for Japan to work quickly due to the smaller market (Spain bordering France and having a massive potential cross-border issue with all of Europe).
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:10 AM   #1112
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

In addition to that Spain (and Portugal) plan to change gauge of the whole system, so there are and will be dozen of points where trains will have to change gauge, while in Japan narrow gauge lines will retain their gauge (with a few exceptions). Then I suppose that with narrow gauge there are also space constraints unkonwn in Spain (where the "old" gauge is wider).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1113
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Yesterday, I saw in a Brazilian site about railways that, in 1980's, Japan had a project to introduce high-speed trains in narrow gauge at the top speed in 250 Km/h! This was true?

Old February 4th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #1114
quashlo

Japan plans JV firm to finance bullet train projects in India
http://www.financialexpress.com/news...-india/1220893

Quote:
Japan has offered to set up a joint venture company like the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation to finance bullet train projects in India.

The project that also figured in the talks between Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has already been approved by the Planning Commission.

A Commission source said the proposed corporation will announce bullet trains for seven pair of destinations, all of them to be leveraged by a mix of yen debt and equity.

Japanese experts from a consulting firm and Indian officials have conducted surveys last week in the Mumbai-Ahmedabad corridor (about 500 km) for a pre-feasibility study for the first of these projects. Prior to that, Government of India officials from the Commission and rail ministry have been over to Tokyo to complete the details of the project.

In the joint statement made by the two Prime Ministers it was agreed that after the issuance of the inception report of the High Speed Railway system on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route, the joint feasibility study should be completed by July 2015.

India has opted for the Japanese Shinkansen technology over competing models including the Chinese offer on two considerations. These include the safety of the Japanese technology and the niggling concerns about a tie-up with China on such a high technology project.

“The other is the cheaper funding that Tokyo has promised to make available for the project”, said the official. There were also offers from France and a couple of other countries too for the project, but just as in the case of the DMRC the government has plumped for Japan.

Each of these projects at over Rs 30,000 crore is beyond the capacity of the rail ministry to finance. Consequently it is a joint venture corporation that can finance and eventually run the high speed train corridors. A company can raise debt or equity from the markets that a government department will find impossible to do. In the Indian railway sector this will be the biggest single investment project rivalling the freight corridor plans. The project is expected to provide massive backward linkages for the rail based manufacturing sector which sits well with the government’s expectation for them too.

The joint statement is, however, guarded at this stage. Singh told Abe “that India will plan such projects based on its infrastructure priorities, commercial viability and financial resources in India”.

Among other things the Mumbai- Ahmedabad project will first need to identify the land corridor through which it will run since the existing rail tracks will not be good enough for them. But the Japanese consultants have not even reached the stage of identifying the land and have instead discussed issues like power availability, instead. There are varying estimates about the time period it will take for the first bullet train to move, but none of them put it at before 2020.

The other six corridors identified by the government include Amritsar-New Delhi-Patna, New Delhi-Jodhpur, Howrah-Haldia, Mumbai-Pune and Hyderabad-Thiruvananthapuram.

Experts said it was too early to even put a time line to any of them at this stage but work on some of them could begin concurrently.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1115
quashlo

Looks like Kawasaki has expressed some interest in the joint order for high-speed trainsets for the NEC and California. Thanks to k.k.jetcar for the find.
http://journalstar.com/business/loca...9ce2f618e.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Kawasaki's train-car manufacturing division in Lincoln has an eye on new opportunities: combined requests for cars from Amtrak and California's High-Speed Rail Authority.

Amtrak issued a request Friday for proposals to supply it with 28 high-speed train sets, each with the capacity to carry between 400 and 450 passengers and the ability to match or exceed Acela speeds — to about 160 mph — on Amtrak’s existing Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C.

Amtrak and the California authority combining their requests will “generate economies of scale and make it more attractive for high-speed rail manufacturers to build factories here in the USA, bringing new high-quality jobs and creating ripple effects throughout our domestic supply chain,” said Federal Railroad Administrator Joseph C. Szabo in a statement.

Kawasaki is already "here" and very interested.

"This is a high visibility project and Kawasaki has many years of experience manufacturing high speed rail," Mike Boyle, Lincoln plant manager, said in an email. "We are interested and currently studying the specifications to see whether or not this project fits in our wheelhouse."
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #1116
quashlo

Snow action at Kitakami:

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #1117
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

A Shikoku Shinkansen would be great, but it's unlikely that we'll see one in the next 20-30 years. There are still quite a few other routes in the pipeline that will see realization before that. After the current batch (Hokkaido all the way to Sapporo, Hokuriku full loop to Maibara or Osaka, Linear Shinkansen, Nagasaki) a Kyushu East side line may be more likely, as there is some push for it from Oita Prefecture.

I've travelled in Shikoku quite a lot, and what Shikoku needs much more are basic improvements to the existing lines. Most of them aren't even electrified yet!
Start with that, then do some basic improvements to bring up the main trunks of the existing narrow gauge lines to 160kph, the current implemented maximum.
Third, close the gaps between Uwajima and Sukumo in the west and Nahari and Kannoura in the east.

Together, these measures should still be massively cheaper than a full-on Shinkansen. Matsuyama - Okayama, the most likely Shinkansen route, is about 180 km. At 160 kph, that's about 1:15. At 250 kph, that's around 0:45. A noticeable difference, but not one worth spending billions of yen on.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #1118
quashlo

Some videos of the first public test rides on the E7 that started on 2014.02.07.
In addition to a test ride with members of the press, there were public test rides with passengers selected by lottery (a total of 210,000 people entered, although only about 3,000 were selected).

KNB:

Kyōdō News:

kyah117, Equario liked this post
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1119
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14459

Nice reports!

By the way, who is that guy wearing yellow suit in the first video?

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #1120
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Saw this Hitachi CM on TV this evening. Fitting out interiors to shinkansen trainsets.

extended version:

quashlo, Dallas star liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote