daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #1121
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Nice. Not the typical promo video, but it does raise the very salient point that technology is only a tool... At the end of the day, there are still people, and worksmanship, involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post

By the way, who is that guy wearing yellow suit in the first video?
He is a comedian (お笑い芸人) who goes by the name "Dandy Sakano" (ダンディ坂野)... He's from the Nagano area. The yellow suit is his usual outfit. He was hired to do a special TV report on the test rides:
http://www.mro.co.jp/tv/programs/z-k.../02/004338.php

Equario liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1122
quashlo

Tōhoku Shinkansen trains at Shin-Shirakawa during the first blizzard this month (2014.02.08)

golobokov liked this post
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #1123
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

Are there many problems (delays, cancelations...) with Shinkansen in Tokyo area because blizzard that hits Kanto region?

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1124
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Tōhoku Shinkansen trains at Shin-Shirakawa during the first blizzard this month (2014.02.08)
That's interesting, I do not know that Japan routinely couple two different models of EMUs together. I guess there is no reason not to, but just interesting to see.
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1125
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Are there many problems (delays, cancelations...) with Shinkansen in Tokyo area because blizzard that hits Kanto region?
Normally, mild snow is not much of a problem, as most of the lines that have to deal with snow on a regular basis were designed with special features to deal with snow accumulation, etc. The only exception might be the Sekigahara (関ヶ原) section of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, an old section which has been a relatively persistent problem area when snow falls, forcing a temporary slow zone.

These last two storms were some of the worst in decades, with many areas receiving record-breaking snowfall, so yes, there was definitely more noticeable service disruptions than usual.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #1126
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
These last two storms were some of the worst in decades, with many areas receiving record-breaking snowfall, so yes, there was definitely more noticeable service disruptions than usual.
I believe the Tōhoku, Jōetsu and Nagano lines beyond Omiya did okay, considering all three were designed with heavy snow operations in mind....
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #1127
quashlo

No, there were some major disruptions on Saturday due to the snow that fell overnight... Basically, there was just too much snowfall in a short time span, much of it in the Tōkyō / Kantō area where most of JR East's services are concentrated.
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/compliance/n...0035000-n1.htm

Specifically:

Tōhoku and Akita Shinkansen only began service at 08:30
Nagano Shinkansen service was cancelled for the entire day
Service on Jōetsu Shinkansen between Takasaki and Echigo Yuzawa was suspended until evening
Snow removal on Yamagata Shinkansen between Fukushima and Yonezawa ran into difficulties, with service between Fukushima and Shinjō suspended virtually the entire day

A total of 95 trains on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen were also delayed, affecting 65,000 passengers. JR Central instituted slow zones between Tōkyō and Mishima, resulting in 15- to 25-minute delays.
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #1128
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
That's interesting, I do not know that Japan routinely couple two different models of EMUs together. I guess there is no reason not to, but just interesting to see.
In fact, as far as Shinkansens go, it is actually uncommon for 2 equal models to be coupled. The only case they coupled equal models I know of was the coupling of 2 E4's. In all other cases is was the coupling of different models, usually a Shinkansen with a mini Shinkansen.

Also note that only JR East couples trainsets, the other 3 JR's running Shinkansens have to my knowledge never done so.

Tikal liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #1129
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Shinkansen trains are usually made by long fixed trainsets (up to 16 cars) never split in normal service, while most European HSTs are 200 m long, and designed to be used in multiple when needed.

The exceptions are Eurostar trainsets (TGV and Velaro, because of Eurotunnel's rules) and ETR 500 trains (between 250 to 350 m, 2 locos+8 to 12 coaches).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1130
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

The Tokaido Shinkansen is currently strictly limited to 16 car units only. On the other lines 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13 and 16 car units were/are operated, but the variations have been greatly reduced, because of the ongoing installation of platform doors and because it's easier for rolling stock planning.
As far as I know in Europe those lengths were standardised. 200m (ususally 8 cars) make up a half set, 400m (usually 16 cars) a full set. Even in Italy they follow this convention now as both the ETR1000 and the NTV Italos are 200m.
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1131
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14462

Test run at Takasaki Station

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC

Numarine, Hegemonic liked this post
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1132
Numarine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 33

Numarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1133
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
The Tokaido Shinkansen is currently strictly limited to 16 car units only. On the other lines 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13 and 16 car units were/are operated, but the variations have been greatly reduced, because of the ongoing installation of platform doors and because it's easier for rolling stock planning.
As far as I know in Europe those lengths were standardised. 200m (ususally 8 cars) make up a half set, 400m (usually 16 cars) a full set. Even in Italy they follow this convention now as both the ETR1000 and the NTV Italos are 200m.
Is to fully use existing capacity on this very busy line?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #1134
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
In fact, as far as Shinkansens go, it is actually uncommon for 2 equal models to be coupled. The only case they coupled equal models I know of was the coupling of 2 E4's. In all other cases is was the coupling of different models, usually a Shinkansen with a mini Shinkansen.

Also note that only JR East couples trainsets, the other 3 JR's running Shinkansens have to my knowledge never done so.
Good to know, I was curious because in China they have only coupled equal model trainsets together, at least to my knowledge. But that's getting rarer now as they are replaced with 16 car long trainsets.
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #1135
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Is to fully use existing capacity on this very busy line?
For the most part yes, but it also allows them to standardise the stopping position, the door locations and to control dwelling times better and therfore maintain a tighter schedule. On the Tokyo end of the highly congested Tokaido Shinkansen it's easier to run an overcapacity train througout the day as it's nearly impossible to switch trainsets. The average delays prove the system works.
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #1136
quashlo

A new CM produced by Kanazawa City to promote tourism in preparation for the Hokuriku Shinkansen opening next year:

Sopomon liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1137
hmmwv

Speaking of capacity, does JR sell standing tickets on Shinkansen?
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #1138
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Speaking of capacity, does JR sell standing tickets on Shinkansen?
Yes, though that term is not used. Unreserved seating tickets (jiyuseki tokkyu ken) entitle passengers to ride/stand in the unreserved seating cars in a train. This is why you see trains loaded to beyond 100% capacity during holiday seasons. If standing, and someone seated by you happens to detrain before your final destination, of course you can sit in that vacated seat.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #1139
quashlo

New official logo of the E7 series.
This is the JR East version, but the JR West version is basically identical.

Equario liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1140
quashlo

Timeline for Shinkansen’s Sapporo extension could feasibly be accelerated by 5+ years
新幹線札幌延伸、5年以上工期短縮可能 荒川副知事が提示

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...00C14A2L41000/

In regards to accelerating the construction timeline for the second phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen from Shin-Hakodate to Sapporo, the vice governor of Hokkaidō Prefecture indicated at a bi-partisan LDP (自民党) and New Kōmeitō (公明党) project team meeting in Tōkyō on 2014.02.07 that optimization of tunnel construction methods and other measures could accelerate the timeline by over 5 years.

In particular, the vice-governor stated that increased efficiencies in tunnel construction and a fast-tracked start to design work could allow the open five years before the current schedule of FY2035 close. He indicated, however, that any large-scale acceleration of the project timeline would require taking steps on the funding side, requiring cooperation from the national government.

Many members of the Hokkaidō financial sphere are particularly eager to see the construction timeline for the Sapporo extension accelerated. With 76% of the alignment in tunnels, however, securing the necessary funding is one of the major obstacles to achieving the desired timeline.

Svartmetall, k.k.jetcar liked this post