daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #1141
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Kawasaki Heavy to bid to supply trains for U.S. high-speed rail link
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UwToxM78KmQ

Quote:
NEW YORK – Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. is planning to bid to supply a new generation of trains for Acela Express, Amtrak’s main high-speed rail service linking Washington, D.C., New York and Boston, according to a company source.

The machinery-maker will propose a fleet that would enable faster runs and enhanced rider comfort based on technological expertise gained through manufacturing trains for Japan’s shinkansen network.

Given its track record of supplying scores of train cars in the United States, Kawasaki Heavy may emerge as one of the leading contenders, along with Germany’s Siemens, for the contract.

The bid is scheduled for the East Coast line and another between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Kawasaki will present the specifications of its product by May 17 for the tender, according to the source.

Acela Express is a lucrative 730-km line predominantly serving business travelers, linking key East Coast cities, including Philadelphia.

While people often opt to fly between major cities in the United States, Amtrak services including Acela control a larger slice of the travel market between Washington, D.C., and New York than airlines.

Under the plan, an order will be placed for up to 28 train sets, each with between 400 and 450 seats.

The Acela operator, Amtrak, also known as National Railroad Passenger Corp., is planning to increase the top speed to 160 miles per hour (257 kph) from the current 150 mph. The company is mulling further raising the speed to 220 mph.
Bit more info on this.

k.k.jetcar liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #1142
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Yes, though that term is not used. Unreserved seating tickets (jiyuseki tokkyu ken) entitle passengers to ride/stand in the unreserved seating cars in a train. This is why you see trains loaded to beyond 100% capacity during holiday seasons. If standing, and someone seated by you happens to detrain before your final destination, of course you can sit in that vacated seat.
Thank you.
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #1143
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
The bid is scheduled for the East Coast line and another between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
I find this joint procurement business highly dubious, given the different performance requirements between the NEC and the CA project, but, I suppose even just the NEC project is a very attractive opportunity.

Quote:
The machinery-maker will propose a fleet that would enable faster runs and enhanced rider comfort based on technological expertise gained through manufacturing trains for Japan’s shinkansen network.
Perhaps full active suspension and air cushion tilt?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #1144
quashlo

Yeah, that would seem to be the logical conclusion. Perhaps we will finally hear something about efSET.
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #1145
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Yeah, that would seem to be the logical conclusion. Perhaps we will finally hear something about efSET.
Yes, I reckon if KHI gets the bid, efSET will transform from its current vaporous state.
=UIC standard "super" E7??
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1146
quashlo

Apparently, the first W7 series (JR West’s counterpart to the E7 series) will be completed in mid-April. The trainset will be delivered to the new Hakusan General Rolling Stock Center (白山総合車両基地) in Hakusan City, Ishikawa Prefecture, after which the train will receive finishing touches and begin running tests. The cars will be delivered by boat from the Kawasaki Heavy Industries plant in Kōbe and off-loaded at the Port of Kanazawa.
http://www.iwate-np.co.jp/newspack/c...022001002096_2
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #1147
quashlo

Tōshiba receives order for E&M systems for new Taiwan HSR stations
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2014_02/pr2102.htm

Quote:
TOKYO—Toshiba Corporation (Tokyo: 6502) today announced that it has received a turnkey order for electrical and mechanical systems (E&M) for three new stations from Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation (THSRC). The stations will be constructed at Miaoli, Changhua and Yunlin on the Taiwan High Speed Rail line (THSR) and open by the end of 2015. The E&M systems cover passenger announcement systems, passenger information systems, signaling systems, electrification and power systems, and the maintenance management information system. Total order has a value of approximately 2.8 billion yen.

THSRC placed the original order for the THSR project in 2000 with a consortium of seven Japanese companies, including Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI), Toshiba and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. At that time, Toshiba received orders for train electrical equipment, the electrification and power supply system, train traffic control system, communications system and maintenance management information system. In May 2012, Toshiba and Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. together received a further order for four 12-car train sets, and in July 2013, Toshiba and MHI received an order for E&M systems, including the railway power supply system, for the Nangang extension project that will take the high speed line from Taipei to Nangang.

Commenting on the award of the contract, Mr. Toshio Masaki, President and CEO of Toshiba's Social Infrastructure Systems Company, said: "We believe the company's record in the THSR system contributed to the award of the contract for the new stations. Toshiba is committed to fully supporting the project and bringing it in on schedule. We strongly hope that THSRC will continue to advance its system, and that we can introduce THSR as a successful example of the Shinkansen system to other countries planning to build high speed rail lines."

THSR services started in January 2007. Regularly scheduled trains currently travel the 345km between Taiwan's two major cities, Taipei and Kaohsiung, with a travel time of approximately 90 minutes. By 2016, construction of the three new stations and the Nangang extension project will be completed. With these new stations, the THSR is expected to play an even more central role in vitalizing Taiwan's economy.

Going forward, Toshiba will bring its cumulative advanced technologies, know-how, sophisticated system integration capabilities, and proactive marketing activities that demonstrate how Toshiba can contribute to high-speed rail projects, especially in developing economies.
Japanese press release:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...2/pr_j2102.htm
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #1148
quashlo

A bit more information on the rollout of the E7s on the existing Nagano Shinkansen service:
http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201402...I090018000.php

Debut in regular revenue service will be 2014.03.15, with three trainsets operating 7 roundtrips daily. Starting a month later on 2014.04.19, they will add two more trainsets and 4 more roundtrips daily. JR East will be producing about one trainset a month in preparation for the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen in March 2015.

More testing on the Nagano Shinkansen, this time donning the new logo for the series (2014.02.24)

Cars 1 through 6 of Unit F5 being loaded onto barge at Kawasaki’s plant in Kōbe (2014.02.21):

Old February 27th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1149
quashlo

Some video reports inside the Kawasaki plant to see E7 production:

Old February 27th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #1150
quashlo

Lot of rumors floating around regarding a new Shinkansen series spotted leaving Kawasaki’s plant in Kōbe a few days ago… It doesn’t exactly match any existing series in operation. Given the lack of any announcements and the overall appearance and other features would seem to point to the final prototype of the FGT variable-gauge train.

Video (2014.02.21):

Pictures from a Twitter account. When I saw the first picture, the quality was so bad I thought it was an E7 series, either Photoshopped or without a full coat of paint (it kind of matches the E7 in the first video in the post above).

http://t.co/RVEBqWKAAk

http://t.co/pZtNeoH7au

http://t.co/35uKYHLV5X

Sopomon, k.k.jetcar, F.Asselineau liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #1151
k.k.jetcar

Indeed it looks like the FGT. Carbody profile appears to be within the 1067mm loading gauge. Also the bogies, which are quite distinctive, resemble the ones on the prototype trainset.

*also, aren't those retractable steps below the doors? Standard equipment on mini-shinkansen stock.
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #1152
quashlo

Yeah... I was trying to decipher what the hell that logo was underneath the blue protective sheeting, and I'm now pretty sure it says "FGT". Definitely an interesting color scheme, somewhat reminiscent of old JNR limited express stock.
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #1153
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

The livery might be a deliberate reference-an attempt to invoke the JNR stock to show a trace of the return to direct express service to all reaches of Japan.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1154
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The livery might be a deliberate reference-an attempt to invoke the JNR stock to show a trace of the return to direct express service to all reaches of Japan.
Interesting point. Many of the regional cities had direct ltd. express services (in the form of daytime trains and/or sleeper trains) to Osaka/Kyoto or Tokyo, but lost them with the expansion of the shinkansen network and the elimination of overnight services. With the FGT, some of these cities may regain that important physical and psychological link to the big urban centers.
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1155
quashlo

Tōkaidō Shinkansen speed to be increased to 285 km/h
のぞみの最高時速285キロに 来春、徐々に増便

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...20C14A2CR8000/

On 2014.02.27, JR Central announced that it would increase the maximum speed on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen frm the current 270 km/h to 285 km/h in spring 2015. This is the first increase in the line’s maximum speed since the 1992 introduction of the Nozomi services, and is expected to shave an additional 2 to 3 minutes off travel times between Tōkyō and Shin-Ōsaka, currently as fast as 2h 25m.

The speed-up will begin next spring with about 1 tph, gradually increasing as new rolling stock capable of the faster speeds is introduced into regular service.

The San’yō Shinkansen, which shares rolling stock with the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, already operates with a maximum speed of 300 km/h due to long sections of straight track, but the curvy Tōkaidō Shinkansen has been limited to 270 km/h. With the introduction of the newest N700A series trains, designed with more efficient train control and capable of tilting around curves, the railway says it can now increase the speed for the line.

While the reduction in travel time is minor, JR Central says that speed-up will also allow trains to recover faster when service disruptions cause delays in the schedule.

===

Press release:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001382.html

So it appears that we were basically correct… The N700A (and upgraded N700) series were part of the eventual speed-up of the line. Since they are only going to save about 2-3 minutes, it’s looking very likely that the increased speed limit will be in effect on the relatively straight section of the line between Maibara and Kyōto.

FNN video report:

Equario liked this post
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #1156
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder has JR Central thought about pushing the speed on the Tokaidō Shinkansen all the way to 300 km/h on the following sectors:

Mishima Station to Shizuoka Station

Next to JR Central Mochimune Station to Hamamatsu Station

Next to JR Central Araimachi Station to Toyohashi Station

Next to JR Central Koda Station to next to JR Central Minami-Odaka Station

Maibara Station to Kyoto Station

All of these sectors have long straights and/or very gentle curves.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #1157
k.k.jetcar

Even if short stretches are capable of 300km/h running, once you get up to such speeds, the ATC will likely force braking given the congestion on the line, as well as upcoming curves, etc. Better to have a more smooth acceleration profile afforded by lower speeds, both for energy conservation as well as passenger comfort.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #1158
quashlo

Yeah, it's telling that they only settled for 285 km/h, even though the same trains already operate at 300 km/h on the San'yō side. If we want to be optimistic, I think the most realistic hope is that they may increase the speed a bit or expand the high-speed zones once they have more N700As and upgraded N700s in service, although this doesn't resolve the issue of having to deal with Hikari and Kodama trains mixed into the schedule.
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #1159
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I think the Nozomi trains could be pushed to 300 km/h on the stretches of Tokaidō Shinkansen I mentioned earlier because the faster acceleration and slight tilting ability of the N700A and upgraded N700 trainsets, not to mention the new signalling and ATS systems now being installed on N700A and rebuilt N700 trainsets, now make it possible. The Hikari trains could probably still co-exist with these faster Nozomi trains, if only by requiring mandatory stops at Shizuoka, Hamamatsu and Maibara stations.

Speaking of Shinkansen, I wonder with JR East owning 17 E7 trainsets and JR West owning 10 W7 trainsets, does that mean all trains on the Hokuriku Shinkansen line from Nagano to Kanazawa will be exclusively E7 or W7 trainsets? Or will a small number of E2's still run the Hakutaka all-stops service?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:02 AM   #1160
quashlo

New 15 s CM spot by JR East for E7 series debut:

Equario liked this post