daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:24 PM   #1161
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8811

Just a few pictures from my brief ride on the Shinkansen back in December 2013. Sorry they are not very good.

Heading up to the Tokaido Shinkansen platforms at Tokyo Station

Looking down the train

Platform Information

On board

At Shin-Yokohama saying bye bye to the train

Shin-Yokohama Station

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #1162
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Video report on Toyama’s efforts to market itself as a tourism destination for Tōkyōites in preparation for next year’s Hokuriku Shinkansen opening:

Svartmetall liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1163
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

The biggest beneficiary in terms of tourism would be Kanazawa, since that city has many historical buildings that predate World War II (Kanazawa was one of the few larger cities that was not flattened by USAAF bombers during the war). There are almost no buildings in Toyama that predate the war, since a raid on the night of August 1-2, 1945 effectively flattened the entire town.

It will be very interesting to see what the town of Itoigawa will do with the opening of the Shinkansen station there--the JR Station there is best known as the terminus of the Ōito Line that leads back to Matsumoto (and has spectacular scenery between Itoigawa and Minami-Otari Stations).
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #1164
sacto7654

By the way, JR East has unveiled the new liveries for the Yamagata Shinkansen E3 trainsets

New Yamagata Shinkansen colors, from Japan Railfan Magazine online:

http://railf.jp/news/2014/03/04/171500.html

New Toreiyu excursion trainset rebuilt from former E3 trainset used on Akita Shinkansen line, also from Japan Railfan Magazine online:

http://railf.jp/news/2014/03/04/173000.html

I'm not sure if the new Yamagata Shinkansen colors complement the scenery between Fukushima and Yamagata/Shinjo, though.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #1165
quashlo

Here is the full set of renders from the press release. The renovation was designed by Ken Okuyama. I guess he is becoming to JR East what Mitooka Eiji is for JR Kyūshū... Makes me wonder who JR Wes has in mind for their luxury sleeper service.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20140303.pdf

New exterior livery of Tsubasa will feature a four-color palette of “Mandarin duck purple” (おしどりパープル), “safflower yellow” (紅花イエロー), “safflower red” (紅花レッド), and “Zaō bianco” white (蔵王ビアンコ), the latter a reference to the snow-covered Mt. Zaō.

New logos on the sides for the four seasons:

New logo for the Toreil, which will be a specially redesigned E3 set for leisure travelers.

Cars 12-14 will be reserved seating in traditional Japanese style (お座敷) with tatami bamboo seating. The ceiling and seat backings will feature reliefs of Yamagata’s harvest of fruits.

Car 15 will be a lounge car featuring more tatami seating, cherry wood tables, lacquer-like walls, and faux stone-cobbling.

Car 16 will be the foot spa (足湯), with two safflower red basins. The interior will be traditional “black wall” (黒塀) and feature vertical louvers as accents. The design concept is that you have a foot bath then go to the 湯上がり lounge car to relax (basically like après-ski, but the main event is the foot spa instead of skiing).

Exterior design of the Toreil, which features “Mogami blue” (もがみブルー), “Tsubasa green” (つばさグリーン), “Gassan green” (月山グリーン), and “Zaō bright” (蔵王ブライト) white.

Tikal liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #1166
sacto7654

The Toreiyu trainset--as noted--only runs between Fukushima and Shinjo stations--essentially, limited to a top speed of 130 km/h (81 mph). Think of it as a pretty expensive Joyful Train excursion trainset.

If that excursion train is successful, expect maybe another one to be built for the Akita Shinkansen line between Morioka and Akita, probably in livery almost akin to the Toreiyu trainset but in the color palette identical to that of the E7 trainsets.
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1167
ab_ltf

Likes (Received): 4372

absolutely beautiful concept

thumbs up
ab_ltf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #1168
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
The Toreiyu trainset--as noted--only runs between Fukushima and Shinjo stations--essentially, limited to a top speed of 130 km/h (81 mph). Think of it as a pretty expensive Joyful Train excursion trainset.
This is actually a very good point... I glossed over this when reading the press release, but it appears that this train will not be operated on the Tōhoku Shinkansen. This may be the first time Shinkansen-class rolling stock has been "downgraded" to zairaisen-only operations... I'm not aware of any similar precedence off the top of my head.
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #1169
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
This is actually a very good point... I glossed over this when reading the press release, but it appears that this train will not be operated on the Tōhoku Shinkansen. This may be the first time Shinkansen-class rolling stock has been "downgraded" to zairaisen-only operations... I'm not aware of any similar precedence off the top of my head.
I wouldn't call it zairaisen operations--after all, they are running the E3 trainset on the 1435 mm (standard) gauge trackage between Fukushima and Shinjo. I always think of zairaisen trains as rolling stock on 1067 mm (Cape) gauge.
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #1170
quashlo

I understand what you are trying to get at, but the track sections defined as the "Akita Shinkansen" and "Yamagata Shinkansen" are officially zairaisen:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9C%...9D%A5%E7%B7%9A

It's mostly a semantic thing, but zairaisen (在来線) ("pre-existing line") doesn't have anything to do with gauge... Officially, it's anything that's not Shinkansen (新幹線) ("new mainline"), where the latter is defined as track designed for 200 km/h or faster.

Quote:
新幹線鉄道とは、全国新幹線鉄道整備法第2条に規定される「その主たる区間を列車が二百キロメートル毎時以上の高速度で走行できる幹線鉄道」であり、在来線はこの規定に当てはまらない鉄道路線となる。秋田新幹線や山形新幹線といった、いわゆるミニ新幹線は、旅客案内上「新幹線」と称してはいるが、現状では主たる区間を200km/h以上で走行できないため、これらの路線は法規上は「新幹線」にあたらず「在来線」に分類される。また、新幹線規格の設備や車両を使用していても、博多南線や上越線支線(上越新幹線)の越後湯沢駅 - ガーラ湯沢駅間は、旅客営業上「在来線」である。
It just so happens that most of the JNR / JR network outside of Shinkansen is 1,067 mm, but the gauge, by itself, is not the determining factor. Technically, all of the private railways (私鉄) and subways in Japan, in all their various gauges, are also zairaisen, although you typically don't use that term when talking about them because there is no Shinkansen on those networks, hence no need to draw the distinction in the first place.
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1171
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I understand what you are trying to get at, but the track sections defined as the "Akita Shinkansen" and "Yamagata Shinkansen" are officially zairaisen:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9C%...9D%A5%E7%B7%9A

It's mostly a semantic thing, but zairaisen (在来線) ("pre-existing line") doesn't have anything to do with gauge... Officially, it's anything that's not Shinkansen (新幹線) ("new mainline"), where the latter is defined as track designed for 200 km/h or faster.
Um, that´s a contradictory definition.
Tracks that are new built and designed are by definition not "zairaisen". But they also are not "mainline" and therefore also not "Shinkansen" if they are designed for less than 200 km/h.
So what is the name for new built lines under 200 km/h, whatever their gauge?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1172
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
So what is the name for new built lines under 200 km/h, whatever their gauge?
Simply a new line, or new railway. Definitely not "shinkansen". If JR, they fall under the umbrella of zairaisen.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #1173
Wee.tanuki

Likes (Received): 5

Zairaisen is best translated as "conventional rail". It's not a gauge issue or an issue of when the line was built. Shinkansen means "new trunk line" but it only remains because the name stuck with the public. "Kousoku tetsudou" is used for foreign high-speed rail lines, like TGV and ICE.

Tikal liked this post
Wee.tanuki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #1174
embassyofaudrey

Likes (Received): 2615

no one can beat japan in term of railways. awesome concept.
Tidak ada "Mahar", yang ada Iuran"

#GABENER
embassyofaudrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #1175
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Um, that´s a contradictory definition.
Tracks that are new built and designed are by definition not "zairaisen".
If they are not Shinkansen, then yes, they are zairaisen. For example, lines or track sections built after the Tōkaidō Shinkansen are all"zairaisen", as long as they are not Shinkansen (e.g., Keiyō Line), although as stated previously, these distinctions are usually only made when talking about JR.

"Pre-existing line" is simply the direct translation of the characters (在来線)... I only put it there for reference as a contrast to "new mainline" for Shinkansen. When translating, probably best to just leave it as is ("zairaisen") or use "conventional line" or "non-Shinkansen line".
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #1176
quashlo

Here's a better look at the nose of the third-generation FGT at Kawasaki's plant:

Equario liked this post
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1177
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

What is the actual time table to test the free gauge train from conventional line to shinkansen track? and the 3rd generation fgt are the actual train to use in this test?
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1178
k.k.jetcar

Another pic of the 3rd gen. FGT, speculation it's Kyushu-bound, eventually.
https://twitter.com/kokutetu65/statu...768000/photo/1
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1179
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
What is the actual time table to test the free gauge train from conventional line to shinkansen track? and the 3rd generation fgt are the actual train to use in this test?
Testing will begin sometime in fiscal 2014 (from April), between Kumamoto and Kagoshima Chuo. The train will run on 1067mm track between Kumamoto and Shin-Yatsushiro, and then on shinkansen tracks between the latter and Kagoshima Chuo. Testing will last 3 years, running 600,000 km.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/ne...004931260.html

Info about the former installation of the gauge changing device at Shin-Yatsushiro and track diagrams:
http://deadsection.image.coocan.jp/d...yatsushiro.htm

Video from 4 yrs. back, unfortunately at night and from a distance, of the device in operation:

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 9th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #1180
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I'm just wondering what component are new in the 3rd generation fgt train,compare in the first and second model, and i observe the 3rd generation are based from the E7 shinkansen
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote