daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #1181
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I think the 3rd generation free gauge train is the final prototype model then they will made the actual design for the passenger run.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #1182
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Under-construction Shin-Hakodate Station (2014.02.15):

Hokuriku Shinkansen viaduct under construction, captured from a local Hokuriku Main Line train from Komatsu to Kanazawa. Starts around 4:50.

Equario liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #1183
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

JR Hokkaido orders 4 shinkansen trainsets

It came to light that this past month JR Hokkaido ordered 4 trainsets for the Hokkaido Shinkansen route, which will open in March 2016. The order, for four 10 car trainsets, will cost 18 billion yen, including spare parts. The trainsets will be based on the JR East E5 design, and are scheduled to be delivered within the calendar year. Testing of the trainsets is also planned within the year.

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/economic/526714.html

A little bit of good news among the otherwise dismal reports about JR Hokkaido.

quashlo liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #1184
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Based on E5 design ≠ E5 designですか。

Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #1185
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Based on E5 design ≠ E5 designですか。

??

What do you mean by this?

What does the Japanese script translate to?

And why the troll face?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #1186
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

ですか。 < For question.

Based on E5 design ≠ E5 design?

I.e. E7 series is based on E2 so... it train is a new model "H8" or "E8"?
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #1187
quashlo

The relevant Japanese text is

Quote:
車両は東北新幹線のE5系をベースとし、価格は予備部品を含めて総額約180億円に上る。
The text seems to imply a new model based on the E5, although just how different it will be from the E5s remains to be seen. Performance-wise, I wouldn't really expect them to be vastly different from the E5s since the Hokkaidō Shinkansen is, in many ways, basically just an extension of the Tōhoku Shinkansen. Given the timeline, it may end up basically being an "H5", relating to the E5 in the same way that the W7 will relate to the E7, but perhaps with minor differences in paint scheme, interior layout, etc.
Old March 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #1188
k.k.jetcar

This. (i.e. mainly cosmetic) I'm interested in what (if any) naming will occur for services. I would like the "Hokkai" moniker to be revived.
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #1189
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Will there be direct trains to Sapporo from Tokyo? Just like they don't run 16 car trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen, wouldn't standard 10 car E5s be to long?
Regardless, the Wikipedia article states that 360 km/h running is also intended, which is what E5 was designed for. Therefor big, even any, changes to the exterior design seem very unlikely to me.
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #1190
k.k.jetcar

I believe the intention is to run direct services between Tokyo and Shin Hakodate. 10 cars is likely necessary. Hakodate is the second most popular tourist destination in Japan, after Kyoto.
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #1191
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

I suppose JR Hokkaido, in conjunction with JR East, will have done the math and have come up with a suitable solution. We will see in the future.
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1192
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Speaking of which, I haven't heard a peep about the start of E7 Series Shinkansen trainset service on the (now) Nagano Shinkansen line service between Tokyo and Nagano on 15 March 2014. And what about the last run of the E3 trainset in Akita Shinkansen service?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #1193
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Speaking of which, I haven't heard a peep about the start of E7 Series Shinkansen trainset service on the (now) Nagano Shinkansen line service between Tokyo and Nagano on 15 March 2014.
Well, that's because it just started only a few hours ago.

*update* news reports:

*second report also mentions the beginning of 320km/h operation of E6 trainsets

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 15th, 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1194
quashlo

A bit more info about JR Hokkaidō’s order of 40 Shinkansen cars for the first phase of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen to Shin-Hakodate…
http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/economic/527950.html

Based on the current schedule, it’s looking like the first cars will arrive at Minatochō Pier (港町埠頭) at the Port of Hakodate on 2014.10.06, after which they will be transported by flatbed to the new Hakodate General Rolling Stock Depot (函館総合車両基地) currently under construction in Nanae Town (七飯町) just outside of central Hakodate. The cars will receive their final touches there, with running tests and burn-in beginning before year’s end.

Specific schedule:
2014.10.06: 6 cars
2014.10.08: 4 cars
2014.10.17: 6 cars
2014.10.19: 4 cars

The remaining 20 cars will come next year.
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #1195
k.k.jetcar

Beat me to it. It was in this morning's newspaper. Apparently the order was made with two Honshu-based firms, I assume KHI in Kobe and Hitachi in Kasado. I wonder what the split will be.
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #1196
quashlo

With the recent service changes that went into effect on 2014.03.15, the E6 Komachi services began operating at 320 km/h.

Ceremony at Akita Station (2014.03.15):

High speed E5 and E6 passes at Furukawa and Kōriyama (2014.03.16):

Svartmetall, Sopomon liked this post
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #1197
quashlo

The change also meant the elimination of all E3s from the Akita Shinkansen. Last run from Akita was 3028M, Komachi 28 (2014.03.14):

Last run from the Tōkyō end was Komachi 45. Now that all Komachi services are operated with E3s, the Super Komachi name has been retired after one year, and all Akita Shinkansen services have reverted back to the Komachi name.

Old March 20th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1198
marie4u
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

japan is one of the most developed countries of world. sure they can more ahead.
marie4u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #1199
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

This news is about Hitachi:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/b...ion-plans.html

Hitachi Rail Global moves to UK and announces expansion plans
20 Mar 2014

A rolling stock factory is under construction at Newton Aycliffe in northeast England

HITACHI: On March 20 Hitachi Ltd announced that 'to further accelerate the globalisation of the rail systems business', the headquarters of Hitachi Rail Global would move from Japan to London, with head of Hitachi Rail Europe Alistair Dormer appointed to the new post of Global CEO, Hitachi Rail, from April 1.

Hitachi Ltd said this would strengthen the management structure for worldwide expansion in the rail systems business. Kentaro Masai has been named as Global Chief Operating Officer and Shinya Mitsudomi as Global Chief Strategy Officer.

Hitachi has 326 000 employees worldwide, with revenues of ¥9tr in the year to March 31 2013. Its rail business is expected to grow from 2 500 people today to 4 000 in the next 2½ years, and the company aims to grow rail turnover from €2bn to €3bn in the next few years.

Hitachi estimates that the size of the world rail systems market averaged ¥18tr in 2009-11, and anticipates an increase to an average of ¥20tr in 2015-17, with steady expansion projected at an annual rate of 2·6%.

'Today's announcement is a significant sign of intent by Hitachi to grow its business in the rail market and I am excited by the level of trust placed in me to lead our growing business in this next phase of expansion', said Dormer. 'Both the UK and Japan remain important as markets for Hitachi Rail, and with our train factory in the northeast of England now under construction, we will work to realise our export potential from the UK, expanding into Europe and emergent markets.'
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #1200
k.k.jetcar

JR East to provide advisory support to HS2 (UK)

Quote:
EAST Japan Railway (JR East) has confirmed that it has been appointed as a consultant by Britain's HS2, the company overseeing the project to construct a 531km Y-shaped high-speed network from London to central and northern England.

Drawing on its experience of operating part of Japan's Shinkansen network, JR East will advise HS2 on matters including reliability, safety and punctuality ahead of construction on the project, which is due to commence in 2017. This work will cover both technical and management issues, including station management, noise counter measures and construction issues.
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=523

Quote:
ONLY two weeks after Hitachi said it was moving its global rail headquarter to London, high speed rail operator East Japan Railway (JR-East) announced today it is to open offices in the City– initially with what it described as a ‘landmark contract’ with HS2 Ltd, but with the clear aim of doing business long-term with Britain’s booming rail industry, as well as with other European suppliers.

Masaki Ogata, vice-chairman of JR-East, disclosing the initial four-month contract with HS2 Ltd at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, made clear that his company’s expansion to London would be permanent. It will open its offices near Liverpool Street station on 15 April.

The initial contract will see JR-East advising HS2 on a range of technical issues – including aerodynamics in tunnels, reducing noise from pantographs and helping decide whether to use slab or ballasted tracks – to long-term planning for reliability and station management, especially how best to look after passengers on a busy system.
http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/...-contract.html