daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #1661
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
You don't think that it will have the same kind of funding as the other alternatives? I would guess that this option would have the same kind of cost (or slightly less) than the original Obama route, which in itself would include loads of tunnel work as it is. It's just and idea that they have decided to look at together with the rest of them so we just have to see what they end up choosing at the end.

I agree, terminating most trains at Kyoto won't be much of a problem, I still think that there is space to fit a number of trains doing through service to Osaka on the Tokaido Shinkansen. I mean, there are no intermediate stations between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka and all trains already stops at both of them, meaning that you can space the trains at the shortest possible intervals, which would easily free up space for another 4 or so trains every hour going through to Osaka from the Hokuriku Shinkansen.
Since they are able to run trains every three minutes, then it would mean that it's possible run 20 trains per hour, at the moment there are a maximum of 14 scheduled trains per hour on the Tokaido Shinkansen (actually 13 since one Kodama turns around at Nagoya from Tokyo), then it would mean that there is space for another 6 trains on that stretch, which makes me draw that conclusion.
It's obvious that the Tsuruga Maibara route would be the most cheapest being the shortest route through flat terrain. I'm surprised people wanting a more expensive route using tax payer's money and will at the end pushing the ticket price.
In 2027 the Chuo Shinkansen will go online and will extend to Osaka in 2045. At that time the Tokaido shinkansen would be relieved from the huge passenger load it sees today and can accommodate some slots to run the Hokuriku line on the Tokaido line. This would be much more cheaper and would be able to utilize present infrastructure that will be less used in the future.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #1662
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

But I do wonder, if they're going to connect the Hokuriku Shinkansen to Kyoto, where are they going to build platforms? The area around Kyoto Station is already rather built up.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #1663
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
But I do wonder, if they're going to connect the Hokuriku Shinkansen to Kyoto, where are they going to build platforms? The area around Kyoto Station is already rather built up.
One possibility: a higher level platform. That way, the Tokaido Shinkansen line will keep their current run-through station platforms, and the Hokuriku Shinkansen can terminate on a platforms one level above the current Shinkansen platform, with access to ground level by multiple escalators and elevators.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #1664
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Genbi Shinkansen

JR East presented this week the "GENBI SHINKANSEN" based in a E3 Series Shinkansen. This train is a sort of art exhibition gallery on rails and is expected to start from next spring 2016 on the Joetsu Shinkansen between Echigo-Yuzawa and Niigata.

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2015/10/06/426/

Web in english: http://www.jreast.co.jp/genbi/en/
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #1665
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

OK, what?

No, seriously, what?

I mean, that footbath E3 was weird enough. This is just utterly insane and over the top.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #1666
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

As one can see on the websites, there are seats, albeit just not at full capacity as one would expect on the Tokaido Shinkansen. I think the idea is for passengers to have an "enriched" experience while riding the train, and I think it's quite interesting.

Given that this is Japan though, I would probably expect this train to operate only at off-peak hours...
Old October 8th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #1667
sacto7654

It should be noted that the Genbi Shinkansen train--unlike the Toreiyu tourist train that operates between Fukushima and Shinjo on the Yamagata Shinkansen line--will run between Echigo-Yuzawa and Niigata Stations on the Jōetsu Shinkansen line. And that means the train will have to travel at the full rated speed of the Jōetsu line--speeds up to 240 km/h.
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #1668
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
It's obvious that the Tsuruga Maibara route would be the most cheapest being the shortest route through flat terrain. I'm surprised people wanting a more expensive route using tax payer's money and will at the end pushing the ticket price.
In 2027 the Chuo Shinkansen will go online and will extend to Osaka in 2045. At that time the Tokaido shinkansen would be relieved from the huge passenger load it sees today and can accommodate some slots to run the Hokuriku line on the Tokaido line. This would be much more cheaper and would be able to utilize present infrastructure that will be less used in the future.
2045 is a LONG time away for a lot of people ( though I can see that being accelerated to 2035 as 2020 and the link to Nagoya gets closer and closer.

The big question is, what's the time difference between all the routes. How much slower is the Maibara route. That is usually the bar when it comes to Japanese trains.

Last edited by bluemeansgo; October 8th, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #1669
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

「500 TYPE EVA」

Quote:
@inahon485
500系エヴァ先頭車カッコよすぎる(特に先頭よりの塗装と運転室ドア横についてる「500 TYPE EVA」の文字が特に好き)

Old October 9th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #1670
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

But is it a train that happens to be an EVA or an EVA that happens to be a train?

Darth Reg liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #1671
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

cool loco!
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #1672
bima_mtks

Likes (Received): 12

Japan, please build the new shinkansen in Indonesia, dont let China beat you, we need your technology
bima_mtks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #1673
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
2045 is a LONG time away for a lot of people ( though I can see that being accelerated to 2035 as 2020 and the link to Nagoya gets closer and closer.

The big question is, what's the time difference between all the routes. How much slower is the Maibara route. That is usually the bar when it comes to Japanese trains.
The construction schedule for any of those routes would be about the same with all the tunneling involved as for traveling time I don't think there will be much of a difference for people traveling from Kanazawa to Osaka/Kyoto but the Maibara route would be the preferred choice for people from Nagoya to Kanazawa. This would probable be the deciding factor since there is a lot of business opportunity if traveling time is shaved from that route.
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #1674
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

But Kyoto is already a Nozomi station, whereas Maibara isn't. In fact not even all Hikaris stop at Maibara, thus it wouldn't make sense to terminate a Shinkansen line there. I at least would expect an easy and frequent change to Tokaido Shinkansens at the terminus station.

Adding Maibara as a Nozomi stop wouldn't make sense either, because that increases travel time between Tokyo and the Kansai area, negating all efforts to shave of every second they can.

loefet liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #1675
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
But Kyoto is already a Nozomi station, whereas Maibara isn't. In fact not even all Hikaris stop at Maibara, thus it wouldn't make sense to terminate a Shinkansen line there. I at least would expect an easy and frequent change to Tokaido Shinkansens at the terminus station.

Adding Maibara as a Nozomi stop wouldn't make sense either, because that increases travel time between Tokyo and the Kansai area, negating all efforts to shave of every second they can.
You're talking about the present schedule. JR Tokai already announced that they will realign the time schedule of Tokai Shinkansen after the Chuo Shinkansen had been inaugurated in 2027.
They will probably discontinue the Nozomi service at that point and shave off some trains launched every hour to relieve congestion. At that point they can also include Maibara as a stop for Hikari service.

Last edited by SamuraiBlue; October 13th, 2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old October 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #1676
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

More announces on the Tohoku-Hokkaido Shinkansen, the price!

For the Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto - Shin-Aomori service, both Hayate and Hayabusa (148,9 km):

Standard Car: 7260 yen (53,53 euro)
Green Car: 9490 yen (69,98 euro)
Gran Class: 14630 yen (107,88 euro)

For the Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto - Tokyo service, Hayate and Hayabusa (823,8 km):

Standard Car: 22690 yen (167,32 euro)
Green Car: 30060 yen (221,67 euro)
Gran Class: 38280 yen (282,29 euro)

Change 1 EUR = 135,605 JPY

Full list: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2015/20151005.pdf

Comparing similar distances, the Nozomi trip from Tokyo to Hiroshima on the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen costs 19080 yen in standard car (140,70 euro).

Coccodrillo liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #1677
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

「500 TYPE EVA」

From Tetsudo-shimbun, 500 Series TYPE EVA unveiled today in west Japan.

Quote:

M-NL, AlexisMD, dimlys1994, happosai, PiotrG and 8 others liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #1678
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The 500 series may have been to expensive and not the optimal design for avoiding tunnel shock, but despite the bulky looking pantograph shrouds, it is still one of the best looking trains around.
I wish they would also do these more extreme one-off designs in Europe more often. In the Netherlands we have to make due with a changed external livery only.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #1679
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

EVANGELION FTW!!!

By the way, will this be a permanent fixture? I hope I can get to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
The 500 series may have been to expensive and not the optimal design for avoiding tunnel shock, but despite the bulky looking pantograph shrouds, it is still one of the best looking trains around.
I wish they would also do these more extreme one-off designs in Europe more often. In the Netherlands we have to make due with a changed external livery only.
I agree.

The 500 series is imho the sleekest and most stunning Japanese bullet train design ever.

Noodles7 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:13 AM   #1680
sacto7654

While the 500 Series was the best-looking of the Shinkansen trainsets running between Tokyo and Hakata, it was also very expensive to build (they only built ten 16-car trainsets) and the acceleration and ability to travel fast through curved track was nothing to write home about. In contrast, the current N700/N700A trainsets are far less expensive to build, have very good acceleration, a top operational speed of 300 km/h (easily maintained on the San'yō line between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations) and the trainset can slightly "tilt" into curved track for faster speeds on certain portions of track, especially the Tokaidō line east of Atami Station.

G5man, phoenixboi08 liked this post