daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #481
Arvor
Arvor

Likes (Received): 392

Given enough funds it would be feasable from an engineering point of view to build a series of mega bridges, but it would be ridiculous to build as the cost would outway any real benefits unless someone is willing to subsidise the couple billion $ needed to build such a series of mega bridges at a loss or for free ... .

On the other hand building a submerged waterproof pipe tunnel for the purpose of a conduit connecting the electricity grids and water pipes from Bohol to Cebu and other telecommunication cables is a good idea and probably the more feasable part of the proposals .

Last edited by Arvor; January 25th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Arvor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #482
zidlakan
Paul Villarete

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohol Guy View Post
It seems the whole project has ground to a halt. Meanwhile, as the poster above states, the terminal is becoming decrepit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by todjikid View Post
i guess its being reviewed pa. lol.
when you have a project as complex as this, you really have to cross the t's
and dot the i's to prevent cost overruns which could reach billions. many of
you are right, it's all a matter of aviation technical issues, proper urban
planning, construction constraints, and an evaluation of the economic viability
of the entire project.

it will push through in panglao, albeit at a more realistic cost, pending the
finalization of the construction solution to the subterranean geotechnical
issues which must be accurately quantified.

for any issue and concern, you may contact me at paul@villarete.com . . . . . for updates on the Cebu City BRT Project, check http://cebu-brt.com/forum
zidlakan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #483
chillendawg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidlakan View Post
when you have a project as complex as this, you really have to cross the t's
and dot the i's to prevent cost overruns which could reach billions. many of
you are right, it's all a matter of aviation technical issues, proper urban
planning, construction constraints, and an evaluation of the economic viability
of the entire project.

it will push through in panglao, albeit at a more realistic cost, pending the
finalization of the construction solution to the subterranean geotechnical
issues which must be accurately quantified.
in the meantime we are losing billions of money making opportunities had there been an airport serving the beautiful white sand beaches in bohol already. the money they will save from making sure they save enough in constructing the airport could be generating billions for the country by now. easier said than done, but i say, just do it! hehehe
chillendawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #484
metrosuburban

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricken Ridge View Post
Endorse Bohol-Cebu bridge project
By Angeline Valencia (The Freeman) Updated January 25, 2012

TAGBILARAN CITY, Philippines — The DPWH must endorse now the proposed multi-billion-peso Bohol-Cebu Friendship Bridge project that would connect the islands of Cebu and Bohol.

This endorsement was sought by Rep. Erico Aumentado (2nd district, Bohol) in his letter to Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson recently, saying that the previous administration had already endorsed it to the NEDA and to the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) for funding.

The project would make land trip easier between the two provinces, bring additional power supply from Cebu’s power plant to Bohol, advanced telecommunications technology via fiber optics set through the bridge, and accelerate the dispersal of industries from Cebu to Bohol, especially the northeast corridor, said Aumentado.

“The bridge can accelerate the symbiotic exchange of excess water from Bohol after satisfying its domestic needs while Cebu can send power, expected to be a surplus by 2015 because of the development of coal-fired plants now. Bohol is limited to developing hydroelectric power as other forms can be detrimental to its environment which is the anchor of its eco-cultural and adventure tourism,” he said.

Aumentado wanted the DPWH to endorse his proposal for technical assistance for the project, including a grant for the conduct of a feasibility study and detailed engineering design, telling Singson that he already initiated back-channel talks with the proper Korean government authorities on the matter.

The congressman explained that KOICA provides official development assistance from its government funds kept at the Korea Export-Import Bank called the Economic Development Cooperation Fund (EDCF), saying that he was confident that Korea will favorably consider the ODA grant to finance the project.

“The bridge can be constructed under the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) Law. This early, a group of Chinese financiers as well as the International Bridge Construction Company of California have expressed interest in undertaking the project either through BOT or the Build-Operate-Own scheme which means the Philippine government will not spend a single centavo for it,” Aumentado said.

Aside from endorsement to Koica and the Eximbank-EDCF, the solon also asked Singson to endorse it also to the NEDA Investments Coordinating Committee Technical Board (ICC-TB) chaired by Deputy Director General Rolando Tungpalan and other appropriate authorities in order to complete the process.

Copies of his request to DPWH were also furnished to Eximbank’s country director Man Hwan Park, KOICA-Philippines resident representative Kim Jinoh, House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte and Mayors Adelino Sitoy of Cordova in Cebu and Cary Camacho of Getafe in Bohol.

The bridge’s end-points or anchors would be Getafe in Bohol and Cordova in Cebu, spanning a distance of 17.5 kilometers only. Between the two are the Olango and Hilotongan Channels, some islets, shoals and shallow seawaters. “This augurs well for a simple design and easy construction of the bridge,” said Aumentado.

The Provincial Development Council (PDC) of Bohol, which Aumentado headed in the past, had already endorsed the project through a resolution in 2009.

The original resolution further got endorsement from the Central Visayas Regional Development Council, chaired before by Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, requesting DPWH for its own endorsement of the project to the EDCF.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=530
ang kulit-kulit!! This fantasy bridge will never be built. period.
metrosuburban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #485
zidlakan
Paul Villarete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillendawg View Post
in the meantime we are losing billions of money making opportunities had there been an airport serving the beautiful white sand beaches in bohol already. the money they will save from making sure they save enough in constructing the airport could be generating billions for the country by now. easier said than done, but i say, just do it! hehehe
there are benefits in economic opportunities but it will not run in billions. the
issue is subterranean geotechnical conditions in panglao the solution to which
has to be made more accurate. it spells a difference between spending 5 B
as compared to 8 B. The difference of 3 B is enough to build an entirely new
small airport somewhere else.

for any issue and concern, you may contact me at paul@villarete.com . . . . . for updates on the Cebu City BRT Project, check http://cebu-brt.com/forum
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #486
RepublicaNegrense
黑島民國

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosuburban View Post
ang kulit-kulit!! This fantasy bridge will never be built. period.
The Panay-Negros Bridge was scrapped as a fantasy lately even though the distance between the two islands is shorter than Cebu and Bohol. I don't know with this one but ultimately, the constituent Boholanos must be consulted first about this.
República Negrénse, "...if God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31, NIV 1984

ONEGROS Negros for the Negrenses, Support #NegrosIslandRegion.
RepublicaNegrense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #487
zidlakan
Paul Villarete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepublicaNegrense View Post

The Panay-Negros Bridge was scrapped as a fantasy lately even though the distance between the two islands is shorter than Cebu and Bohol. I don't know with this one but ultimately, the constituent Boholanos must be consulted first about this.
how about the cebuanos, shouldn't they be consulted also? there are two
ends of a bridge, y'know, he he he

of course we should have consultations. it's required by law and is a pillar
of a democratic institution. but the extent and manner must be defined and
delimited as provided for by law. i wrote about this last week ... here ...
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=109

but consultation per se wouldn't make or unmake the project. all things
being equal, and on the assumption of regularity, projects especially such
as these are decided based on their financial and economic viability - based
on needs and not on wants, based on whether it is good for the filipino
people as a whole in the long run (15-25 years of determination on economic
streams of costs and benefits). its nice to have all of these, if we have
an endless supply of money. when that is factored into the equation, then
we have to make the right choices ...

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #488
Simplegurl18
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

building bridges between islands too distant or not ain't a self liquidating endeavor unlike building roro ports or airports. It's a high risk, long term project with a very high financial initial costs that can make or break a project this magnitude. good thing wisdom is prevailing nowadays and
Airports and seaports are being built instead, it's more fun.

toll bridge? how much will I pay? would it be more practical for me to go roro instead? less mileage for my car, I'll sit back and relax.
weather issues? what's the difference between a ship crossing and doing it by a bridge during storm? none.

mi pesetas amigos
Simplegurl18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #489
Simplegurl18
BANNED

Quote:

hit it where it hurts sir!
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #490
zidlakan
Paul Villarete

we have some other reasons to be happy about. the new bohol airport will
be built, in panglao at maybe around P5B. just a matter of resolving the
subterranean geotechnical issues ...

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:12 AM   #491
RepublicaNegrense
黑島民國

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:

I said Boholanos since we are in a Boholano Thread. With the economic situation we have right now, not viable as of the moment but a bridge connecting Cebú and Bohol is possible, maybe in the future but not at the soonest time.
República Negrénse, "...if God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31, NIV 1984

ONEGROS Negros for the Negrenses, Support #NegrosIslandRegion.
RepublicaNegrense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM   #492
Bohol Guy

Likes (Received): 91

One of the big reasons to build the bridge was for Cebu to attach a water pipeline to transport water from Bohol to Cebu. The people of Bohol should consider that aspect very carefully.

IMO, the bridge will never be built. Not enough traffic to support that kind of infrastructure.
Bohol Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM   #493
Simplegurl18
BANNED

Quote:
One of the big reasons to build the bridge was for Cebu to attach a water pipeline to transport water from Bohol to Cebu. The people of Bohol should consider that aspect very carefully.

IMO, the bridge will never be built. Not enough traffic to support that kind of infrastructure.
if it's just pipelines,it can be done.But how much would the water costs if delivered that way? would it be more expensive than the usual?
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM   #494
Bohol Guy

Likes (Received): 91

"if it's just pipelines,it can be done.But how much would the water costs if delivered that way? would it be more expensive than the usual?"

Sure. They could install underwater pipelines to connect water and utilities like electricity between the islands without having a bridge. I don't know the pumping equation for the water but it would have to be something big. Bohol is in need of additional electricity.

I sense that this bridge is in fact a grandiose idea by someone trying to put the Philippines on the map as far as having a large bridge goes but the question remains in that there is not enough vehicular traffic to make the bridge feasible. Most people coming from Cebu would want to end up in Tagbilaran and there would be another long drive after crossing over. The fast ferry would be just as fast.

Part of the discussion came from an idea that instead of building the airport in Panglao, put the bridge up and the people of Bohol would use the Cebu airport.I would suspect the costs of either project would be close to each other and it would not surprise me if the bridge actually was more expensive. In the end you would have a inconvenient solution for Boholanos.
Bohol Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:22 AM   #495
Simplegurl18
BANNED

Quote:
"if it's just pipelines,it can be done.But how much would the water costs if delivered that way? would it be more expensive than the usual?"

Sure. They could install underwater pipelines to connect water and utilities like electricity between the islands without having a bridge. I don't know the pumping equation for the water but it would have to be something big. Bohol is in need of additional electricity.

I sense that this bridge is in fact a grandiose idea by someone trying to put the Philippines on the map as far as having a large bridge goes but the question remains in that there is not enough vehicular traffic to make the bridge feasible. Most people coming from Cebu would want to end up in Tagbilaran and there would be another long drive after crossing over. The fast ferry would be just as fast.

Part of the discussion came from an idea that instead of building the airport in Panglao, put the bridge up and the people of Bohol would use the Cebu airport.I would suspect the costs of either project would be close to each other and it would not surprise me if the bridge actually was more expensive. In the end you would have a inconvenient solution for Boholanos.
and precisely that's why Bohol International Airport should be made instead. and here we are now.

I might be in Bohol in the coming week and I look forward to it.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:58 AM   #496
litigs

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplegurl18 View Post
and precisely that's why Bohol International Airport should be made instead. and here we are now.

I might be in Bohol in the coming week and I look forward to it.
Both airport and bridge projects can be a marathon. However , the airport stands a better chance of reaching the finish line. Driving piles on a land mass is better than on a sea bed. The technology is there, money not so!
litigs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM   #497
Simplegurl18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigs View Post
Both airport and bridge projects can be a marathon. However , the airport stands a better chance of reaching the finish line. Driving piles on a land mass is better than on a sea bed. The technology is there, money not so!
money intended for the bridge should be used to fund the modernization of the seaports instead.
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #498
jpdm
makabayan

Likes (Received): 4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplegurl18 View Post
money intended for the bridge should be used to fund the modernization of the seaports instead.
Agree.

Use the money also to improve the airport in Bohol.
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #499
ydderf101

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:

I guess you are wrong, coz once this project materialized people and goods in Northern Mindanao might use this for convenience. Day tour to Bohol will increase as well and also goods for bohol will be delivered fast.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #500
dashalvin
Filipinoziliano

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydderf101 View Post
I guess you are wrong, coz once this project materialized people and goods in Northern Mindanao might use this for convenience. Day tour to Bohol will increase as well and also goods for bohol will be delivered fast.
For now, this will still be a dream for a simple reason that the government has no money for a multibillion bridge project like this. Take for instance the case of Panguil Bay bridge plan in 2007 that would supposedly link the city of Ozamiz, Misamis Occidental to towns in Lanao del Norte which is a necessity nowadays because of increase traffic on that route. This is more closer than Cebu-Bohol with a distance of 2.5 km but the government has yet to find investors to counterpart for the said project.

Visit Other Zamboanga del Norte Threads

Dipolog Airport Thread 2

Last edited by dashalvin; April 6th, 2012 at 05:30 AM.
dashalvin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote