daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1
jeff_h

Likes (Received): 0

.........................................................................................................................................

Last edited by jeff_h; May 28th, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
jeff_h no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 89

Cheers for posting this Jeff! Some commendable aims and effort there with some good wee solid projects - hope it all pays off!
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

Slip out of darkness, it is time.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #3
crusty_bint
control yourself

Damn! Jeff, I didn't realise there already was a Dundee Development thread (doh! Sorry Davey, I should have checked your index first!!) so this might be merged with it if I can get a moderator to intervene.

Sorry folks, and cheers again Jeff.

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #4
milton

Likes (Received): 487

Great stuff! I've got a soft spot for Dundee, and it's brilliant to see that it's getting long-deserved investment.
Cheers for the pics and information, mate!
milton está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Mr. B

Likes (Received): 680

Wow haven't been to Dundee for ages but it has changed a lot since I was last there. i shall have to go and see this some time in the near future. Looks ace.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #6
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 272

Wow! What a fantastic run-down of all the projects! Cheers for that!

I was in Dundee a couple of months ago; I too have a soft spot for it, and the amount that has changed over the past 4 years is amazing. It's a fantastic wee place, so it is.

This stuff looks great.

-------

Honestly though, Crusty, you should have known better. Tut tut

The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #7
crusty_bint
control yourself

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #8
jeff_h

Last edited by jeff_h; May 28th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 75

Has there been much talk in town about the proposed V&A "Guggenheim on the Tay"? I hear Kathryn Findlay is now involved, which should be interesting.
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #10
mediadave

Likes (Received): 1

The other dundee thread has long ago died a death, so I think its ok to keep this one by itself - especially since there is so much good info in the first post, thanks! I'll have to read all that. Its been a year since I left dundee, so unfortunately I don't hear so much about it now.

Has there been any more news about Dundee Uni's giant woman statue, or has that died a death?
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #11
milton

jeff h - I won't name names, because the person in question is quite a character, but have you ever encountered Dundee enthusiast, of around early 30s in age, who sometimes leads tours in the city centre, and especially likes taking about the old close's? (incorrect use of apostrophe, but closes doesn't look right either)
He's a touch eccentric.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #12
jeff_h

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #13
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3044

jeffh, if we had a post of the year award you'd win it for that. im amazed at how much dundee is getting, looks like its a much nicer place than when i visited about 15 years ago.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM   #14
milton

The centre of Dundee is a really friendly and fun place in my experience. Because the city isn't too big, it's retained a character and vibe that larger cities often lose.
There's also some great pubs
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM   #15
mediadave

Quote:
There's also some great pubs
Wooo yeah. ladywell tavern - great for a quiet pint. And of course the pheonix, which for decor and atmosphere is probably the most perfect pub I've ever seen. Gets a bit busy at night though.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:33 AM   #16
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 135

I had a great time in Dundee, really underrated city centre, it was just the ringroad between the waterfront and the town centre that let it down, cant wait to visit it again when this work is all complete!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM   #17
mediadave

If I have one dissapointement, its that the new developments are all cheap looking identikit flats - the sort of building as always think of as Ikea flats.

The development plan shows grand, even classical looking buildings, but I doubt that any like that will actually be built.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #18
jeff_h

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #19
jeff_h

6/6/07 from STV
An update on plans for the future development of Dundee's Central Waterfront is to be sent to the Scottish Executive as part of a bid for continuing funding.

Work on the waterfront area has already seen over £20million of investment from the private sector in the form of new commercial and hotel developments.

Council leader Kevin Keenan says continued Cities Growth funding of some £11million is needed for the next stage of infrastructure work.

That will see re-arrangement the ramps on the Tay Road Bridge and other related works so that the vision of reconnecting the city to its historic waterfront can become a reality.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #20
jeff_h

Another exciting office development just announced. This is the first new build in the Central Waterfront Development area. The site was formerly part of the original Panmure Shipyard dating to circa 1837. The main element of which the patent slip is category A listed comprising a 340 foot inclined ramp, 200 feet of which was previously infilled during the construction of the Tay Bridge when the adjacent King William IV Dock (1825) and Earl Grey Dock (1837) and West Graving Docks were infilled in 1963/4. The remaining 140 foot slip is encompassed into the neighbouring Panmure Development.

1967 saw the construction of the R.N.R new shore headquarters from which the development takes its name. The building was used until 1994 and was demolished in 2004.

This site is identified for Business Use in the 30 year Masterplan. In conjunction with the development site, the adjacent sites in the thirty year plan have been masterplanned in massing terms in order to assess the overall massing of the project.

Unicorn Property Group are delighted to announce that Comprehensive Design Architects (CDA) of Moray Place in Edinburgh have been selected to design a landmark office development on the former site of HMS Camperdown at City Quay.

Dundee’s Maritime Quarter around City Quay is becoming the most attractive site in the region for offices, as the City Quay regeneration gathers pace. The announcement that CDA will be designing this important building on the banks of the Tay is a cause for excitement.

CDA enjoy a reputation for innovative yet practical design and were the architects on the recent development of Holyrood Park House in Edinburgh, near to the Scottish Parliament. They also were the designers of new building for The Scotsman newspaper, also in the capital, and in 2006 received the British Council for Offices National Award for their design of Skyways House, the HQ of Littlewoods, in Speke, Merseyside.

It is anticipated to consist of around 100,000 sqft split over a number of floors providing high quality flexible open plan offices, enjoying dramatic views over the Tay to Fife and over the Victoria Dock to the City of Dundee.

“This multi million pound project will be our most ambitious yet,” says Unicorn director, Tim Allan, “We are looking to provide a wide range of floor plates to suit potential tenants. We would anticipate a combination of prestige offices, high end leisure and restaurant units to meet the demands of the growing commercial and residential market at City Quay. Tenants will have a one off opportunity to gain access to the highest quality premises in a remarkable position, built to the highest standards”.

With integral parking, convenient location and outstanding communication links, Unicorn Property Group and CDA hope that in due course the Camperdown site will become the location of choice for companies and organisations looking for a unique waterfront location in the heart of Dundee.

Last edited by jeff_h; April 30th, 2008 at 11:15 PM.

Tags
development, waterfront