daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #2061
tmaxxfreak11

Likes (Received): 0

Would it be possible to get some sort of a federal grant or something for the tunnel? It would seem like a pretty easy case to argue.
tmaxxfreak11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #2062
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxfreak11 View Post
Would it be possible to get some sort of a federal grant or something for the tunnel? It would seem like a pretty easy case to argue.
It will happen when Bellevue forks over the money to pay for it.
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #2063
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

Here are a few more pics

Airport:

[IMG]http://i44.************/2zpumbq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/z4gmb.jpg[/IMG]

still under construction... opening in December

Tukwila:

[IMG]http://i40.************/11i1xl2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/fenbbq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/a0uux3.jpg[/IMG]

Southern terminus of the line until Airport Link is done. This station opens in 3 weeks with the rest of the line!
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #2064
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Hey, great pictures Guiness. One question: How are they going to have the trains turn around at this temporary terminus? Will they just have the tracks cross over between stations or something?
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2065
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

There'll most likely be a crossover before the station. Or the train will only use one track, even this might hamper service patterns.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2066
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 77

good thing to have a map of the area around that station, they can come in very handy when your'e new to the system.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2067
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

[IMG]http://i40.************/30arteb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/2cz3fhu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/m8zbr7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/t7fj15.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/10nug6d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2ut3z3m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2mi1apz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/muvrbr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/2cp99n5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/ogj8fd.jpg[/IMG]
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #2068
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I didn't take those pictures...I found it off flickr to share with you peeps.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2069
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinessbeer55 View Post
[IMG]http://i40.************/30arteb.jpg[/IMG]
This is a nice juxtaposition. Every single person in these cars could easily fit into the light rail train passing them with plenty of room to stretch out and read the paper, or a book, or listen to their iPods, and with much less likelyhood of being in an accident.

And look how much less room the train tracks take up than the freeway.
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2070
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
This is a nice juxtaposition. Every single person in these cars could easily fit into the light rail train passing them with plenty of room to stretch out and read the paper, or a book, or listen to their iPods, and with much less likelyhood of being in an accident.

Yep. In Vancouver, we figure that the soon to open new Skytrain line (Canada Line) will carry the same number of people as a 10 lane freeway (estimates indicate the line will carry 100,000 people per day).
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #2071
BoulderGrad

I remember tabbing up the predicted ridership for Link, and once the line is built out from the airport to Northgate, it's expected to carry about 100,000 per day as well. Once we're built out from Lynnwood to Kent, and Seattle to Redmond, it was up to 250,000/day which would make us one of the busiest light rail system in the country.

Add in a West Seattle-Ballard-NE 45th street extension and I bet we start to compete with some heavy rail systems.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2072
Allen2

Likes (Received): 4

When is this baby opening...July 3rd or July 9th?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2073
tritown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen2 View Post
When is this baby opening...July 3rd or July 9th?
Neither. It is scheduled to open July 18th. Incidentally, that is the same day Sounders FC play Chelsea FC near one of the stops.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2074
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown View Post
Neither. It is scheduled to open July 18th. Incidentally, that is the same day Sounders FC play Chelsea FC near one of the stops.
Oops. They want to rethink their opening day. It's never a good idea to open on a day you expect or could expect big crowds
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:50 AM   #2075
tritown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Oops. They want to rethink their opening day. It's never a good idea to open on a day you expect or could expect big crowds
I think it should be all right. The airport station is not open yet, so visiting supporters won't be clogging the light rail system yet. A lot of people also won't have heard about it. Also, I think that most people coming in will be taking busses and cars, but that is just based off of what I know. However, there will be 67,000 at that match, so I may be wrong.

The opening day is already going to be quite an event from what I hear. There will be giveaways and stuff at all the stations; Zipcar tried to con me into doing it.

It will be on a Saturday, though, so it should hopefully be managable.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM   #2076
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post

It's kind of too bad that they didn't make a point of removing one lane of freeway when they put the train in, or build the train on a lane that was removed. It is such a nice alternative with such high capacity that minus one lane could be easily accommodated.... I noticed that in Portland on the max, lovely nice train system, but giant freeways. I think people sometimes need a little extra incentive to get out of their cars, and with a rail option, maybe at least one lane could then be justifiably removed..? (part of me is screaming, "just build the train on the highway, and remove half the lanes").
adrimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2077
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

There was a lot of criticism of the light ral line when it was proposed that it would be noisy and would result in a lot of accidents where it runs in the median of city streets. The system has proven not to be as bad as the critics had anticipated, but it has not been without problems.

=========================================================
http://www.komonews.com/news/49473577.html

Tukwila residents: Light rail gives us earache

By Denise Whitaker Watch the story TUKWILA, Wash. -- Some local homeowners are asking Sound Transit to hush up.

The residents on East Marginal Way South say the noise the new light rail is forcing on their neighborhood far exceeds the minimal noise they were promised during the design and building phases. They claim the noise from the testing runs is so loud that their ears hurt.

"The train is louder, a lot louder than we expected and a lot louder than Sound Transit said it would be," said David Shumate.

"It's a higher-pitched squeaking," said Lynn Sires, who says the noise wakes her up.

Shumate even bought a decibel meter to measure the noise reverberating out to his house and his neighbors. The noise registered as high as 88 decibels. An average vacuum cleaner runs at about 75 to 80 decibels.

Shumate and his neighbors took their complaint to Sound Transit, but didn't get very far.

"They said the train adheres to federal standards and case closed," he said.

KOMO News took the complaints to Sound Transit spokesman Bruce Gray.

"We can make predictions in final design for what the noise is going to be. When you're up and running sometimes that different, and we go out and we deal with it after the fact," he said. "Part of it is the newness of getting used to the system."

Gray said Sound Transit has already taken one set of sound readings and are in the process of taking another.

But as far as the residents are concerned, there have been enough readings. They want a sound barrier installed along the rail, just like the one in another neighborhood about a mile south.

Gray said a sound barrier is a possibility, but Sound Transit is still exploring all options.

"We're going to look at the noise levels and see where we're at in this neighborhood. And based on that, walls may be one option and another option may be insulating -- soundproofing someone's house," he said.

Sound Transit has already insulated a number of homes in the Rainier Valley. Air conditioning units were added to several homes where noise was likely to interfere with daily life during the open-window months.

=========================================================
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ncrash30m.html

Sound Transit train and car collide in Seattle

A man was injured late this afternoon when a Sound Transit light-rail train and a car collided at Martin Luther King Jr. Way South and South Myrtle Street.

By Mike Lindblom and Phillip Lucas

Seattle Times staff reporters

A motorist received minor injuries Monday in a collision with a Sound Transit light-rail train in Rainier Valley, the third incident since frequent train testing began there this spring.

The crash happened just after 5 p.m. at Martin Luther King Jr. Way South and South Myrtle Street, next to the Othello light-rail station in Southeast Seattle.

Sound Transit spokesman Bruce Gray said the car was heading south and made a left turn, against a red light, from MLK Way onto Myrtle as the train traveled south alongside in the median of MLK.

The driver, a man in his 70s, was taken away by ambulance with minor injuries, said Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick.

Emergency crews tore the roof off the car to remove the driver, said Fitzpatrick. He was the sole occupant, transit officials said.

At the time of the crash, the train was traveling at low speed because it was about to stop at the station, Gray said. The train T-boned the car.

The crash caused minor damage to a front panel on the train. It drove under its own power to the maintenance facility.

Sound Transit is testing its trains along the 14-mile route from downtown Seattle to Tukwila, in preparation for service to begin July 18.

After the wreck was cleared at 6:30 p.m. train tests resumed.

This is the third incident involving a test train in Rainier Valley, where tracks run in a median at street level. Two were crashes with cars, and in one case, a person walked into the side of a train, according to Sound Transit.

"We've been running 20 hours a day for over a month here. We think people are getting used to it, but incidents like this are a reminder for people to follow the rules," Gray said.

Sound Transit officials say their rail project has improved overall safety on MLK Way, by eliminating two-way left-turn lanes that used to play a major role in both motorist and pedestrian injuries.

Dana Echols, who said she witnessed the crash, and another bystander, Than Pham, said the rail intersections should have crossing gates.

Sound Transit didn't install crossing arms because trains are going at the normal traffic speed of 35 mph or less, Gray said, and because neighbors in public-comment sessions didn't want the area looking like a freight-train corridor.

A decade ago, an environmental-impact statement predicted 29 car-train collisions per year, and three with pedestrians, based on experience in other cities. Transit officials said actual numbers would be less in Seattle, because of improved warning signals and road designs, as well as relatively careful drivers here.

Critics of the project urged local politicians not to mix light rail with street traffic, before groundbreaking in 2003. Many U.S. cities, including Portland, run trains along arterial streets.

Sound Transit has visited many schools and groups to preach rail safety, while giving out water bottles, rulers and a board game with safety slogans. The agency and teenagers have made online videos, urging young people to keep off the tracks.

Jaywalking is still commonplace across MLK, while some motorists are noticeably enraged by longer wait times at traffic lights, where trains take priority.

"I just think that a lot of kids, Lord forbid, will be running across the train tracks thinking they can make it, and they're going to get hit," said Echols. "The train's not even open yet, and people are already getting in accidents."

Mike Lindblom: 206-515-5631 or [email protected]
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM   #2078
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Again, it's most likely the car drivers/the pedestrians going to violate the rules who causes the accidents.

there is no different from some one runs the red and hit by another car; but now you are just going to hit by a heavier rail, and got injured.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2079
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

One anti-rail group is actually calling for Sound Transit to be held "chargeable" for any collisons between the LRV, and a vehicle. Basically saying Sound Transit could have prevented it.

They never give up.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #2080
Allen2

Likes (Received): 4

Alright, I will definitely head down to Seattle to try it after July 18th...just in case

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail