daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2381
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3627

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
When will the 1st hill line open?
The opening was delayed to this fall because of a failure during a fire test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidhay View Post
Could Seattle support heavy rail? Probably
Well, time for a little history lesson.

In 1968, the federal government offered to pay $800 million to build Seattle a heavy rail rapid transit system as long as voters approved spending $400 million on the project. It narrowly passed, but the vote required a super majority and the funding was put on hold.

Two years later, a second vote was held, this time to contribute $500 million to the fed's $900 million. It didn't even get a majority, so the money was given to Atlanta to build MARTA.

We could have had this all built out by 1985, so we could complain about modernizing the stations now:

1985 system : Seattle Metropolitan Area Recommended Public Transportation Plan by Oran Viriyincy, on Flickr

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

TM_Germany liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #2382
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

What a shame!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2383
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

If the US gov was willing to cover 2/3 of the cost, how could voters turn such a thing down??? I mean, that is just crazy.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

CNB30 liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #2384
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If the US gov was willing to cover 2/3 of the cost, how could voters turn such a thing down??? I mean, that is just crazy.
it was also 40 years ago

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:43 AM   #2385
Under The Clouds

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It actually did receive a small majority (51%), but sadly a supermajority was required in order to pass. And yes, I do look back at this and cry myself to sleep at night.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_Thrust
Under The Clouds está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:00 AM   #2386
Under The Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidhay View Post
The expected ridership with just the initial segment and the UW extension would be over 150,000. That would rank it 2nd or 3rd among US light rail systems. With the ST2 extensions ridership is expected to shoot well past 300,000. This would leave any other US light rail system in the dust by well over 100,000 riders. This passengers/mile is similiar to that of the Washington DC subway. Could Seattle support heavy rail? Probably
I wish this were true. If you have a source of information that says otherwise, please post it, but I've added the estimates provided by Sound Transit for each segment with my admittedly imperfect math and come to a daily ridership of 190,000-200,000 when ST2 plan is fully built out (Northgate Link, Lynnwood Link, East Link, and South Link down to Kent-Des Moines (1 station south of Angle Lake)).
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #2387
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Never knew Seattle had plans for a heavy rail rapid transit system.

Most major cities in the United States pretty much find heavy rail rapid transit to be really unaffordable and prohibitively expensive, so the only rail transit systems they'd be willing to develop are light rail/"supertram" systems.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2388
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

Most major cities in the United States pretty much find heavy rail rapid transit to be really unaffordable and prohibitively expensive, so the only rail transit systems they'd be willing to develop are light rail/"supertram" systems.
They dont.

THe 1985 map was a plan that was defeated at the ballot box.

The "Seattle Subway" maps that have popped up a few times were put together by a citizens action group as a sort of preferred priorities for expansion of Seattle's Link Light Rail system.

Saying that, Link Light rail is about as close as you can get to a Heavy Rail system while still being considered "light rail". High frequency/capacity with a large percentage of the line being grade separated. Many people on this forum wonder why they didn't just throw in a little more money to make a true heavy rail system.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #2389
Gordon Werner

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

The issue with seattle is mostly one of topography. Any future lines will most likely be in tunnels in the urban core and otherwise grade separated (for the most part) in outlying areas. But our frequent LRT trains should work for a good while.

Remember, our light rail line stations can handle up to 4 car trains from the start
Gordon Werner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #2390
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Your Morbid Metro Fact of the Day

Interesting fact I found while researching the history of the bus tunnel (you can see my notes here): there is apparently a severed arm and hand buried in the cement under Ninth & Pine belonging to a 28-year-old man who fell into an open pit during its construction in 1987. Full article below, from The Seattle Times:

Quote:
SUIT FILED BY PARENTS IN METRO TUNNEL DEATH
THE SEATTLE TIMES - Tuesday, June 27, 1989

Suit filed by parents in Metro tunnel death

-- The parents of a Ballard man who died 20 months ago in a fall at a Metro bus - tunnel construction site have filed a $6.2 million civil suit in King County Superior Court

The wrongful-death suit alleges that Metro, the city of Seattle and two contracting firms - SCI Contractors Inc. and Frontier Foundations Inc. - were negligent in leaving a hole 80 feet deep uncovered at Ninth Avenue and Pine Street.

Glen Kevin Bokamper, 28, was found dead Oct. 5, 1987, at the base of the 12-foot-wide hole that was being drilled for concrete piling in the tunnel project. Bokamper, a bathtub finisher, was not working on the project.

Bokamper's body was recovered, but his right arm and hand were left in the hole, which later was filled with cement. Bokamper's parents, Wes and Doris Bokamper of Port Angeles, said in the suit that they are continuing to suffer "knowing that part of their son remains buried in the Metro Station on Pine Street.''

The complaint maintains that Bokamper apparently was walking on the Pine Street overpass of Interstate 5 at a site where the sidewalk ended. Gabriel Sheridan, the family's attorney, said that while the sidewalk was marked to keep out, it was unlit and poorly marked.

Sheridan said Seattle police Detective Robert Gebo found a videotape that showed the hole may have been left uncovered the night of the accident. The videotape was made by a firm that held the contract to record the movement of earth at the site.

King County prosecutors still are investigating Bokamper's death for a possible negligent-homicide charge.

Richard Mattsen, Metro's administrative legal counsel, said the incident was tragic, but that the allegations against Metro were 'very thin.'
Source: The Seattle Times Archive at NewsBank (requires Seattle Public Library login)

zaphod liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #2391
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Bogue Plan

I found the original text for the Bogue Plan of 1911 and decided to draw out the entire rapid transit system that he planned over modern Seattle, with Google Maps Engine. Enjoy!

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #2392
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Good job! Interesting how they dealt with hilltops and hills. For example not going straight out Madison.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #2393
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

From the Seattle P-I archives, an artist's rendering of a Metro bus tunnel station with an island platform and electronic schedule signs:

Source: Parker, Laura (April 15, 1984). "Underground: Metro wants bus tunnel". Seattle Post-Intelligencer, via The Seattle Times, p. A26. (Via NewsBank)

Last edited by SounderBruce; August 21st, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old August 25th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2394
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26142

August update on Northgate Link at Roosevelt station:

August 2014 Roosevelt Station by SoundTransit, on Flickr

And at U District station:

August 2014: U District Station by SoundTransit, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2395
Gordon Werner

Here are some photos of the First Hill Streetcar trams that are being constructed by Inekon in the Czech Republic

First Hill Streetcar Trams under Construction by Gordon Werner, on Flickr

dimlys1994, geometarkv, MK Tom liked this post
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:27 AM   #2396
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

I was looking through The Seattle Times archive again, researching the history of Community Transit, when I stumbled upon a name contest held in 1977 for the Snohomish County Public Transportation Benefit Area Corporation (the predecessor to CT).

The most popular option was "SCAT", the winner was "Snohomish Area Metro (SAM)". Community Transit wasn't the best name to choose, in hindsight, since it tells someone nothing about the general service area. King County Metro? Serves King County. Everett Transit? Serves the city of Everett. Community Transit? Serves...communities?
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:21 AM   #2397
Gordon Werner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
I was looking through The Seattle Times archive again, researching the history of Community Transit, when I stumbled upon a name contest held in 1977 for the Snohomish County Public Transportation Benefit Area Corporation (the predecessor to CT).

The most popular option was "SCAT", the winner was "Snohomish Area Metro (SAM)". Community Transit wasn't the best name to choose, in hindsight, since it tells someone nothing about the general service area. King County Metro? Serves King County. Everett Transit? Serves the city of Everett. Community Transit? Serves...communities?

FONZ though. Lol.

---
Inferred from the ether.
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:53 AM   #2398
Under The Clouds

Contractor Stacy and Witbeck put a photo on Instagram 2 weeks ago announcing that the final concrete pour in the U-Link tunnel had been made.

http://instagram.com/p/r7SXhlSW29/
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #2399
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26142

Progress on Mukilteo station, serving Sounder commuter rail service between Seattle and Everett (aka North Line). Here, as you can see, the second platform and new footbridge are constructing and will be ready by early next year:

Movin' on up in Mukilteo by SoundTransit, on Flickr
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #2400
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Progress on Mukilteo station, serving Sounder commuter rail service between Seattle and Everett (aka North Line). Here, as you can see, the second platform and new footbridge are constructing and will be ready by early next year:

Movin' on up in Mukilteo by SoundTransit, on Flickr
That's good use of the 1 percent for the arts fund right there. Functionally it's extra seats at the platform, but still art.

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail