daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2007, 05:22 AM   #241
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Can anyone provide information or have a link that contains technical details of the alignment, specifically where the tunnel, elevated, and surface sections are and where there are grade crossings and where (if any) there is mixed-traffic operation?

Thanks.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM   #242
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Can anyone provide information or have a link that contains technical details of the alignment, specifically where the tunnel, elevated, and surface sections are and where there are grade crossings and where (if any) there is mixed-traffic operation?

Thanks.

Nate
All the information you want to you know about the Seattle's LRT is at www.soundtransit.org
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM   #243
getontrac

^I looked at that site but couldn't find where, can you direct me more specifically?

Nate
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM   #244
sequoias

Quote:
^I looked at that site but couldn't find where, can you direct me more specifically?

Nate
It's not in one place, you'd have to look in the site map or look in the tabs, just browse around....I can't lead you to one place. It's in there, it tells you about signaling on rainier ave, elevated routes, tunnels, etc. You'd have to really look. Research is your friend, dude. Also, there's some pdf files that have more info that's not directly from the site.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #245
guinessbeer55

Quote:

Thanks.

Nate
So the line starts at Westlake station in downtown, it runs in a tunnel from there to chinatown... then at grade from stadium station to lander st. then it heads in to the beacon hill tunnel. After that it runs at grade all the way through the Rainier valley. Then it runs on an elevated track all the way through Tukwila, and then its at grade to the airport.

The line is completely in its own right of way for the whole part and never mixes with traffic...
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #246
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

It's not exactly grade separated though. I heard there's a dozen or so street crossings in the Rainier Valley. Plus, it mixes with buses in the downtown tunnel.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:02 PM   #247
getontrac

As an east coast Baltimorean, I'm not that familiar with Seattle, but looking at the ridership projections, the grade and the alignments, and the overall cost of the project, why--why was this project not built as heavy rail?!

I'm sure that this may have been discussed before here, but in my past reseach I didn't find much material on this issue. I would appreciate anyone who would indulge me with their knowledge.

Nate
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #248
sequoias

The costs is due to lot of bridges, elevated line, tunneling in poor soil, the geography which makes light rail construction expensive. Seattle city sits on poor waterlogged soil which makes it a jell-o sort of thing.

The 1.3 mile transit tunnel in downtown cost $444 million to build in late 1980's, that's another example why it's expensive to construct in poor soil.

Back in 1960's, voters turned down the heavy rail system which cost about $1 billion, the federal money went to Atlanta instead.

Last edited by sequoias; January 22nd, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:00 AM   #249
guinessbeer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
It's not exactly grade separated though. I heard there's a dozen or so street crossings in the Rainier Valley. Plus, it mixes with buses in the downtown tunnel.
yeah of coarse theres gonna be street crossings, but it never mixes with traffic like it does in portland...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:25 AM   #250
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinessbeer55 View Post
yeah of coarse theres gonna be street crossings, but it never mixes with traffic like it does in portland...
However, the new south lake union street trolley does mix with traffic.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #251
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

There are differing degrees to mixing with traffic. The Seattle line's closest is with the dual bus/train operations in the downtown tunnel.

Portland has the trains running on the downtown streets but not in the same lanes as vehicles. When the Portland Mall line opens in 2009, they too will have mixed bus and train operations, with an outside traffic lane.

The only mixed light-rail and traffic I've seen is in Tacoma Washington on Commerce Street in the downtown area. Now, while this line is considered light rail technology, it is really a hybrid old-style street car and light-rail line. As such, it might not count as light rail mixing with traffic.

I actually think it's a bad idea because there's be numerous times I've personally been riding that an automobile has blocked the trackway in some fashion. This is especially a concern if Sound Transit expands the line along Stadium and west down 6th street. With the increased train traffic (right now only two trains operate on the line at any given time) it could pose further problems to joint rail-automobile operations.
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #252
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Link to newer page regarding Seattle's Light Rail:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=422473
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #253
getontrac

^I would contend that dedicated lanes on a street would still constitute mixed traffic.

Nate
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #254
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

I suppose mixed to give potential to an acciented is mixed enough.
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #255
kub86
Twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
(right now only two trains operate on the line at any given time).
According to ST, peak times will be in 6 minute intervals; and off-peak at 10-15. So at 36 minutes round trip, that'll be 6 trains during peak, and 3 during off-peak. Anyone know if they're going to have signs that tell when the next trains are coming?!!

I wish they could've just made everything grade-separated. Houston had (has?) problems with cars running into their trains. But then I read somewhere that the Rainier Valley wanted at-grade because it'll spur more development. I think that's the only at-grade portion we'll ever have since it seems all the extensions will be separated.

And I never fully knew the *exact* cost of Seattle Central Link. Is it $2.4b or 3.6b? Every website seems to have either one or the other. But STs website says the former ($2.4).

One more question: Seattle's system will use 1500v, so does that just mean it gets more power or make it go faster? What's the difference between 700v and 1500?
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #256
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post

One more question: Seattle's system will use 1500v, so does that just mean it gets more power or make it go faster? What's the difference between 700v and 1500?
Its more to do with transmission of electricity through the line. The longer the wire you're sending current through, the more voltage you lose between terminals (stations in this case). Because Seattle's stops will be relatively far apart, they need to up the voltage to keep from losing power between stations. At least thats what I gather from the posts before...
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #257
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
As an east coast Baltimorean, I'm not that familiar with Seattle, but looking at the ridership projections, the grade and the alignments, and the overall cost of the project, why--why was this project not built as heavy rail?!

Nate
I wish it had been heavy rail. The tunnels and viaducts being built for the line are more similar to what would be expected for heavy rail rather than light rail, hence the high cost of the system relative to other light rail systems.

Shared operation with buses in the downtown tunnel is likely to end once the line is extended to the university. The future extensions east across Lake Washington and north to Everett are all being planned as fully grade separated. The grade crossings in the Rainier Valley may be the only ones that will ever exist on the system.

The line segment in the Rainier Valley with the grade crossings will eventually be a part of the main trunk to Tacoma. Train speeds will be restricted to 35 mph along that segment. Train frequencies along that segment will be restricted to about 6 minutes in order to avoid significantly impacting cross traffic on the intersecting streets. These factors could prove to be a hindrance to operations once the line reaches Tacoma.

Partial low-floor light rail vehicles will be used which have an awkward stepped floor arrangement. The trains will never have a walk-through design as the newer Skytrain vehicles do in Vancouver. Also, the trains will never be automated as they are in Vancouver. The model that the planners in Seattle chose was Portland. I wish they had chosen Vancouver.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #258
kub86
Twinkie

Hmm, I hope that doesn't hinder the line too much. Maybe ST can limit the trains going to the airport to every 6 minutes; but the rest of the line (UW northgate etc) can have greater frequencies and just have its terminus be at Stadium or Lander before going to the O&M facility?
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #259
guinessbeer55

Also, the trains will never be automated as they are in Vancouver. The model that the planners in Seattle chose was Portland. I wish they had chosen Vancouver.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean by automated...??
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #260
alta-bc
alta-bc

At least your system will have longer platforms. Vancouver's new Canada line will have 40m (131ft) platforms, compared to Seattle's 190ft (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Interestingly, Seattle predicts a ridership of 42,500 daily by 2020, where Vancouver's Canada line is predicted at 100,000 from opening day (2009) yet Vancouver has the shorter platforms. The main advantage Vancouver's system will have is that it is completely grade separated and automated as mentioned, and thus headways can be potentially reduced to 90 seconds.

Btw, how do the number crunchers come up with a number as specific as 42,500 riders per day by 2020? source: http://www.soundtransit.org/document.../FACT_Link.pdf
alta-bc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail