daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #2681
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
Well, only the tunnels have been dug (by machine, at quite some depth), so all that remains is building each station, installing tracks, installing electrical systems, installing lights, installing communications systems, excavating cross-hatches for fire escapes, installing safety mechanisms, completing surface-level work, building the vents, testing trains, receiving the new trains needed for the extra 100,000 anticipated to take the extension, and of course planning for opening day. Not to mention float time so that the project isn't delayed into 2022.

Yeah, we're slow, but it's understandable when you look beyond the surface (pun not intended).
This applies to everywhere else in the world and they don't need all this extra time so it's no excuse. And the stations are all dug out so at this point they just need to build up like a normal building.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #2682
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I remember when they were first debating building Central Link. Now it seems like it was so long ago. My, how time flies. East Link is all but confirmed. It was just yesterday that I thought that Northgate was pie-in-the-sky.

DanielFA, Swede liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #2683
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3627

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
This applies to everywhere else in the world and they don't need all this extra time so it's no excuse. And the stations are all dug out so at this point they just need to build up like a normal building.
It's not quite like a normal building. Normal buildings don't need massive fans and vents that are able to clear a multi-mile tunnel of smoke.

There's also considerations like cost, which rises pretty fast when you try to accelerate construction. More works, more equipment, more disruptions. Did I mention that they're limited to certain hours of work because they're in largely residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I remember when they were first debating building Central Link. Now it seems like it was so long ago. My, how time flies. East Link is all but confirmed. It was just yesterday that I thought that Northgate was pie-in-the-sky.
East Link was confirmed back in 2008 (voter approval), or 2011 (final route selection). It's already begun construction!

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

DanielFA liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #2684
fantasyridge

Likes (Received): 3

Do any ST stations still have issues with the train arrival signs (e.g. not displaying the information) or did they resolve these issues? I remember reading earlier this spring that signage was not properly displaying the info.
fantasyridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #2685
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

The Cost of Light Rail Will Be Cheap in the Long Run

Seattle Transit Blog has a post that compares the cost of expanding light rail (ST3) in the Seattle area to the inflation of home values in Seattle[...]

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #2686
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyridge View Post
Do any ST stations still have issues with the train arrival signs (e.g. not displaying the information) or did they resolve these issues? I remember reading earlier this spring that signage was not properly displaying the info.
The signs at the two newest stations (Capitol Hill and UW) are LCD screens that more often than not don't seem to display actual real-time information. The ones at other stations are two-line VMSes that sometimes will display the "2 minutes until next train" announcement (both audio and visual) and go back to showing a static screen.

It's a crapshoot and there hasn't been enough of a push to fix it.

fantasyridge liked this post
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #2687
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

$54 billion dollar question: expand light rail or back to drawing board?

SEATTLE - Advocates call it visionary, necessary and bold; opponents fear it could be a $54 billion dollar boondoggle[...]

DanielFA, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #2688
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tågälskaren View Post
$54 billion dollar question: expand light rail or back to drawing board?

SEATTLE - Advocates call it visionary, necessary and bold; opponents fear it could be a $54 billion dollar boondoggle[...]
The fact that Kevin Wallace (of all people) is advocating that everyone vote 'no' on ST3 is reason enough to vote 'yes'.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:56 AM   #2689
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Light-rail stop in Issaquah? Growing city at crossroads

Historic murals in downtown Issaquah depict the city’s past as a logging and farming community set amid the beauty of the Cascade foothills[...]

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #2690
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Issaquah is a weird case of an exurban city that actually wants good transit and is willing to fight for it. They're leagues ahead of what other suburbs are doing, and are being rewarded with this light rail line. Not the best use of funds, surely, but it can't be spent outside the region.

Swede, DanielFA liked this post
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:42 AM   #2691
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
East Link was confirmed back in 2008 (voter approval), or 2011 (final route selection). It's already begun construction!
Time really DOES fly!
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM   #2692
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Sound Transit places $554M order for more light rail cars

Sound Transit announced Thursday afternoon that it has ordered 122 new light rail cars, set to start arriving in 2019 ahead of the Northgate and other planned extensions.

The $554 million order will nearly triple the fleet from its current 62 cars, adding needed capacity as rail begins to extend north, south and east as part of the Sound Transit 2 package, the agency said in a news release.

The transit agency is opening its Angle Lake extension south of Sea-Tac Airport on Saturday, the last extension set to open until the Northgate link is finished in 2021. After that, Lynnwood, Overlake and a Kent-Des Moines extension will follow.

News of the order comes as the sweeping Sound Transit 3 campaign is underway to convince voters to sign off on a $54 billion transit package that would roughly double the mileage of light rail in the region. It would also add heavy rail and bus rapid transit, as well as other infrastructure across the region.
New cars will be roughly the same overall dimensions, but will have slightly more passenger room, as well as more luggage and bike storage thanks to better use of space, said Bruce Gray, Sound Transit spokesperson. The current cars were essentially designed in 2003, he said.

Siemens Industry will build the new cars in Sacramento, California.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/trans...php#item-38490

UPD:

Video from Vimeo

Last edited by subbotazh; September 23rd, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:46 AM   #2693
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Angle Lake light-rail station opens Saturday with party

The start of service at Angle Lake Station in SeaTac will be the last light-rail station opening for five years[...]

Source: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...h-celebration/

subbotazh, dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:18 PM   #2694
Natorious

Likes (Received): 10

On a map I saw as part of ST3 that Seattle and Tacoma will be linked by lightrail in 2030. Íf approved, will that be instead of the current commuter rail or will the lightrail follow a different route?
Natorious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:52 PM   #2695
00Zy99

It will follow a different route. Sounder will continue to operate, and will be extended and expand service.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:11 PM   #2696
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Why doesn't Seattle opt to build at least one heavy rail line? Light Rail is good but wouldn't it much more efficient to continue with light rail and also build one subway/elevated metro?
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:19 PM   #2697
00Zy99

Seattle's Light Rail is very heavily built, so that it has capacity approaching that of conventional Heavy Rail.

DanielFA liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:01 PM   #2698
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
Why doesn't Seattle opt to build at least one heavy rail line? Light Rail is good but wouldn't it much more efficient to continue with light rail and also build one subway/elevated metro?
We've started down the light rail road and we're pretty stuck there.

The first line was built as light rail for a couple reasons: It was designed to use the downtown bus tunnel concurrently with buses (to avoid having to build a whole new tunnel for either), which requires low floor boarding vehicles. Also, the south section ended up as street running to save costs. Personally, I feel like these are both short sided decisions. Firstly, we're kicking buses out of the tunnel anyways, and it was shown during construction that buses don't really need the tunnel (they just needed transit improvements on surface streets). Also, I don't know how much more it would've added to the price tag to make the South Seattle and SoDo sections elevated or in a tunnel, but it would've made the whole line completely grade separated and at that point, the cost difference is moot between heavy and light rail. But now we're stuck with our light rail line which has cascaded to every other line.

East Link will be light rail because it shares a large chunk of track with the original Central Link line.

The ST3 proposed Ballard to Tacoma line will merge with the old line which has the South Seattle street running section (and thus, the Ballard line will have to be light rail).

And then the Everett to West Seattle line will be extensions of the current central line which is already light rail as well.

The only fully separate line would be the Issaquah line which doesn't really have the demand to bump up to full heavy rail.

Not much opportunity to break out of the light rail shell. But as was said, our light rail line probably does have the heaviest capacity approaching a heavy rail line.

Ginkgo, sweet-d, DanielFA liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:43 PM   #2699
Natorious

Likes (Received): 10

Is this "Light rail shell" a negative thing then? I honestly think that this light rail system has been executed rather "heavyrailish". It has large segregated parts, those which are not have great traffic control and the capacity of the system can be expanded rather easily. If the Northgate extension is opened and 4-car services will be the standard, a train will offer room to 800 people. That number sounds rather heavyrailish to me.
Natorious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #2700
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natorious View Post
Is this "Light rail shell" a negative thing then? I honestly think that this light rail system has been executed rather "heavyrailish". It has large segregated parts, those which are not have great traffic control and the capacity of the system can be expanded rather easily. If the Northgate extension is opened and 4-car services will be the standard, a train will offer room to 800 people. That number sounds rather heavyrailish to me.
4 car LRV trains in Seattle can hold 800 ppl while DC metro trains (8 cars, standard full size)) can hold up to 1500ppl (almost twice the capacity). DC can also run trains every 2 minutes while, because of our street running sections, Seattle can only run trains about every 4 minutes. So we're talking almost 4x the through put capacity for a heavy rail system compared to ours.

Our capacity is fine for now as we've been only just starting to hit the limits of 3 car trains, but start doubling lines up in both tunnels and boosting ridership with ever more lines and people moving to the area and I think we'll be coming up on the capacity faster than we realize.

sweet-d, DanielFA liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail