daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #581
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

^Well, instead of terminating at Lynnwood, they're going further up to Alderwood and Mill creek/ash way. They mentioned it in their release and it's on their new map:

http://soundtransit.org/Documents/pd...plan_large.pdf

and yeah, i thought it was stupid to end at the port of tacoma too! But I always knew they were going to connect the dots because i saw their planning studies on it online a while back.

...now if only they can build the tunnel in bellevue yet still get to downtown redmond...I'd be happy.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #582
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

I usually try and find studies like that. Where were they?
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #583
kub86
Twinkie

I don't recall exactly but it's on their website somewhere...it's just these tiny 3-page pdfs on potential projects. The most recent batch I saw was from december. But I can only find these ones---from last spring. You can see the port of tacoma pdf near the bottom (#S44)

http://www.soundtransit.org/document...projects_05_06
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #584
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

hmmm... interesting... There seems to a be a green dotted representing future planning for high capacity transit that seems to follow the old "green line" planned route for the monorail....
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #585
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Yeah, fairly close to it huh? I was looking and thinking about that too, because I seem to remember some official saying they weren't going to put light rail out to West Seattle, or particularly, over the West Seattle bridge. Then again, HCT can be BRT as well. I think eventually it'll be rail though, if it does happen. But on the bridge is still a question. I don't know if it was this thread, or another where the issue of using the bridge was discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
I don't recall exactly but it's on their website somewhere...it's just these tiny 3-page pdfs on potential projects. The most recent batch I saw was from december. But I can only find these ones---from last spring. You can see the port of tacoma pdf near the bottom (#S44)
Okay, I remember reading those now. They were studies for potential projects. Possibilities really, that might or might not end up on there. Incidentally, there's a whole set of Tacoma Link projects that aren't included at all from those studies.
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #586
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
hmmm... interesting... There seems to a be a green dotted representing future planning for high capacity transit that seems to follow the old "green line" planned route for the monorail....
According to the article that appears at the bottom of this post, Sound Transit is being asked to look at options for extending Central Link to serve West Seattle and Ballard. A light rail line along the southern end of the Green Line corridor is mentioned in the article. Deputy Mayor Tim Ceis had publicly commented that the West Seattle Bridge is not suitable for light rail. It will be interesting to see if Sound Transit concurs. The article mentions a possible light rail route to Ballard that would branch from the main trunk of Central Link at the University of Washington. This would bypass much of the northern end of the Green Line corridor. At this time, the only funding that is being discussed is for studies. Presumably, funding for the construction of routes to Ballard and West Seattle would have to wait until after the Sound Transit 2/RTID projects are funded.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/art...ews/news04.txt

We are in a mass transit void

By Tim St. Clair

Friday, April 27, 2007

The collapse of public support for the monorail in November 2005 created a mass transit void in West Seattle and Ballard that is likely to continue for years.

Sound Transit is currently building a 19-mile-long light rail system from the University District south to Sea-Tac Airport. The three-county agency already built a light rail line connecting the Tacoma Dome to downtown Tacoma.

Next fall, Sound Transit will put before voters a 40-mile light rail expansion proposal that would take about 20 years to complete. If approved by voters, Sound Transit's Link light rail system would extend northward from the University District to Northgate and Lynnwood. It would continue east from downtown Seattle along I-90 to Mercer Island, Bellevue and Overlake. The expansion project also would go south from the airport to Federal Way and the Port of Tacoma.

None of the new light-rail service would come to Ballard or West Seattle. Until a year and a half ago, planners expected the western side of Seattle would be served by the monorail.

Besides light rail, Sound Transit also operates the heavy gauge Sounder commuter trains, which connect Seattle, Tacoma and Everett during weekday morning and evening commutes. Although the Sounder passes by Ballard, there are no stops there. The Sounder comes nowhere near West Seattle.

West Seattle benefits from Sound Transit's regional express bus service. The blue, green and white buses connect West Seattle to Burien, Sea-Tac Airport and Bellevue. There is no Sound Transit regional express bus service in Ballard.

King County Councilmembers Dow Constantine and Larry Phillips recently announced they've convinced Sound Transit to study the feasibility of expanding Link light rail service to West Seattle and Ballard. Money to pay for such a study would be included in the $16.5 billion roads-and-transit ballot measure that voters will decide on next autumn.

"This study will give us the knowledge to make light rail to West Seattle, North Highline and Burien feasible," said Constantine, who represents West Seattle, Burien and Vashon Island on the County Council.

Phillips, who represents Ballard, Magnolia, Capitol Hill and downtown Seattle, said buses are fine but light rail could carry more passengers faster.

"Ballard and West Seattle are dense, pro-transit communities who face an uncertain mobility future," Phillips said. "Sound Transit has an opportunity to look at integrating the western part of Seattle into the regional light rail system."

Such a study could include examining the feasibility of using part of the monorail project's planned "Green Line" route through West Seattle, said Chris Arkills, a legislative aide to Constantine. The study likely would look beyond the Green Line's terminus at Morgan Junction and continue south to Burien, Southcenter and even Renton, he said.

A variety of possible routes would be part of such a study along with cost comparisons, ridership potential, environmental tradeoffs and other issues. A future question could be whether to send a light rail line to the Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal from Morgan Junction or head southeast to White Center and Ambaum Boulevard.

Ballard's future light rail line could run east to the University District, where passengers could change trains to go north or south.

A vital part of any proposal to bring light rail to West Seattle or Ballard would have to include a plan for how to pay for such an expansion, said Jeff Patrick, spokesman for Sound Transit. And since the transit agency was created by the Washington Legislature in the first place, legislators also must approve any financing plan to pay for expansion, he said.

The Sound Transit board of directors is scheduled this week to finalize the list of projects and studies to be included in next fall's ballot measure.

Tim St. Clair can be reached at 932-0300 or [email protected]
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM   #587
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Recently, I saw this really awesome pictures of Auckland, New Zealand that shows Auckland's tunnel station for commuter trains. I think we should get something similar like this. (pictures are not mine, they are from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=460398)

What do you guys think?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:06 AM   #588
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Whoa that's very colorful! I've never seen a station that colorful.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #589
guinessbeer55

OMG!!!!! that is so cool!!! but America is too old-fationed... But we will have to see in september when the tunnel opens againg!!
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:00 AM   #590
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

That is the most psychedelic subway station I've ever seen! Seattle isn't going to do that, for sure. There was great pains to maintain the original station art and architecture.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:12 AM   #591
CrazyAboutCities

I think that state of art station is very simple... It doesn't requires alot of things... Just cover it up and open up the ceiling to provide natural lighting. That's it. I think its very creative and impressive station. I think that is something we should do for Seattle.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM   #592
Frank J. Sprague

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Recently, I saw this really awesome pictures of Auckland, New Zealand that shows Auckland's tunnel station for commuter trains. I think we should get something similar like this. (pictures are not mine, they are from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=460398)

What do you guys think?
Those photos jogged my memory, a few years back there was a proposal called the Cascadia Project which included a station beneath Benaroya Hall on the BNSF tunnel.

The monorail on Second Avenue dates the picture somewhat.
Frank J. Sprague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM   #593
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I think that state of art station is very simple... It doesn't requires alot of things... Just cover it up and open up the ceiling to provide natural lighting. That's it. I think its very creative and impressive station. I think that is something we should do for Seattle.
Your right. I do like the station. I came off kinda harsh last post. My apologies. I guess I was meaning that we're too stuffy with our money to do something so grand. But it would be nice.

Frank J. Sprague, I've never seen that rendering before. That's kinda cool.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM   #594
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J. Sprague View Post
Those photos jogged my memory, a few years back there was a proposal called the Cascadia Project which included a station beneath Benaroya Hall on the BNSF tunnel.

The monorail on Second Avenue dates the picture somewhat.
WOW! I really like that idea. Why it never got built? No money?
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM   #595
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
Your right. I do like the station. I came off kinda harsh last post. My apologies. I guess I was meaning that we're too stuffy with our money to do something so grand. But it would be nice.

Frank J. Sprague, I've never seen that rendering before. That's kinda cool.
Its all good. I understand that we do have limited budget... We can be creative that we don't have to spend too much on it, you know? This station is perfect example with very simple design and its looks expensive even it really not... I don't support to fund any project that comes really cheap or look very cheap. I think every investment deserve to have it own character.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM   #596
kub86
Twinkie

Beacon Hill's supposed to have an underwater theme; the sea animal sculptures above will pulsate and ripple with lights.

corsonart.com

And that cascadia project looked awesome!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:52 AM   #597
CrazyAboutCities

WOW! That is so awesome!!!!!! I think it would be better if that white part changed to stainless steel or any kind of material that match undersea theme to make its very attractive.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM   #598
JasonB52
Pokémon Master

Likes (Received): 21

I'd really like to see Sound Transit do better renderings on a lot of the major projects. Too many of them are very bland and undetailed like the one above.
JasonB52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #599
CrazyAboutCities

Agreed. I think we should suggest new ideas for Sound Transit stations like the one I shared from Auckland, New Zealand. Anyone else has better ideas for stations?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #600
sequoias

I think the reason why there aren't fancy looking themes for stations is due to cost.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail