daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #861
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

Underground Station Entrances

I've seen a few renderings of what the stations will look like underground, but does anyone have any renderings of what the entrances to the underground stations will look like? I'm mostly curious because I live a block from the planned location of one of the stations on the northern link.

Will it be something small and subdued like the New York entrances:

or something a little more noticable like the new awnings on the DC metro?

Or will it be a mix where some stations have a grand entrance, while others are made to more fit in with a building or side walk?

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #862
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

I dont know about beacon hill... but Im sure youve seen the entrances to the tunnel in downtown seattle. They are just in the buildings... Westlake station has an entrance on the side of Nordstrom...
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #863
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

Right, those were existing for the bus tunnel. I'm talking about the new underground stations for Beacon Hill, Capitol Hill, Husky Stadium, etc.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #864
JasonB52
Pokémon Master

Likes (Received): 21

Here is a rendering of the Beacon Hill Station from soundtransit.org:

JasonB52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #865
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

^ Oh that looks pretty nice.

About Sounder..does anybody know what times the new south line trains will take in September??

I just realized how inconvenient the current times are for downtown 9 to 5 workers (The latest trains arrive at 8 in Seattle, and depart at 5:40pm). I hope to see a later train---arriving around 8:30am and departing around 6-6:15pm. I wonder if they have statistics on which trains are most crowded?
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #866
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
^ Oh that looks pretty nice.

About Sounder..does anybody know what times the new south line trains will take in September??

I just realized how inconvenient the current times are for downtown 9 to 5 workers (The latest trains arrive at 8 in Seattle, and depart at 5:40pm). I hope to see a later train---arriving around 8:30am and departing around 6-6:15pm. I wonder if they have statistics on which trains are most crowded?
I don't know what trains are more crowded, but emailing Sound Transit might get you those numbers. I know they keep track.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #867
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Some Bus Tunnel station entrances aren't related to other buildings. This includes the only entrances to the Convention Place and International District stations, plus one entrance to the Pioneer Square station.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #868
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Some Bus Tunnel station entrances aren't related to other buildings. This includes the only entrances to the Convention Place and International District stations, plus one entrance to the Pioneer Square station.
Boy, you're good. I would have had to look!

Note that there will not be rail service at Convention Place - the bus stops are on a spur.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #869
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
The existence of the Sounder commuter services and the initial segment of the Central Link line ensures the long-term survival of Sound Transit. No other government agency is positioned to manage those lines. If Sound Transit 2 fails at the ballot box this year, there will be a revised plan sent to the voters within a year or two. It is the reverse of the monorail political process. The plan will be revoted until it is approved.
Actually, Sound Transit is likely to be dissolved by the state legislature if Roads and Transit does not pass (this is, in fact, the stated goal of Senate Trans. chair Judy Clibborn - Mercer Island is unhappy about the possibility of losing their SOV access to the 90 HOV lanes). That's part of why I wrote this - my own damn Senator has some ridiculous bone to pick with ST about the placement of Montlake and the elimination of First Hill.

It's actually unlikely that we'd get another vote for quite some time - the PSRC umbrella is likely to take on the roles of the RTID and ST in the coming legislative session if R+T fails, so any future plans would also be roads and transit as well. It's kind of a bum rap.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #870
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Sound Transit will dissolve, I don't think so. We already have commuter rail, buses and light rail in Tacoma and in Seattle(under construction). Who's going to take over those if Sound Transit dissolve?
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #871
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Sound Transit will dissolve, I don't think so. We already have commuter rail, buses and light rail in Tacoma and in Seattle(under construction). Who's going to take over those if Sound Transit dissolve?
The proposed Puget Sound combined transportation (roads and transit) agency would. The issue is that they wouldn't get the political power to build more, because the plan as it stands is basically to kill off the ST planning positions and just put maintenance/operations under the RTID umbrella. It's a bad deal.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #872
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Beacon Hill second tunnel is under way

I noticed the tunnel boring machine has started on the second tunnel!

Also, SR-518 is seeing two balanced cantilever bridges going over it at the same time. I was picking friends up at the airport last night at midnight and 518 was closed for the work. The new return loop and light rail guideway extending to the airport are well under way as well - you can see they've already cleared the spot for the station.
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #873
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
The proposed Puget Sound combined transportation (roads and transit) agency would. The issue is that they wouldn't get the political power to build more, because the plan as it stands is basically to kill off the ST planning positions and just put maintenance/operations under the RTID umbrella. It's a bad deal.
If you meant Sound Transit phrase 2 would probably dissolve. Not the agency itself. I thought u meant the agency itself since you said "Sound Transit" It's all right, no worries.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #874
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
If you meant Sound Transit phrase 2 would probably dissolve. Not the agency itself. I thought u meant the agency itself since you said "Sound Transit" It's all right, no worries.
I do mean Sound Transit, as an agency, would dissolve. Its operations and maintenance staff would be absorbed into a combined roads/transit agency. That's what SB 5803, among other bills, were about.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #875
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

Which is the stupidest idea I've ever heard, considering the history of Sound Transit. Back in the beginning stages of the agency, it was mainly lack of experience running a region wide transit agency that created all the mistakes and as result lead to a truncated first phase. To do that again would be extremely foolish. When I heard about that, I just had to shake my head at the short-sightedness/blindness of some politicians.

What would be the point, really, of removing Sound Transit? It doesn't make sense to me, their arguments. If this new umbrella agency is just going to do exactly the same thing as ST and the RTID partnership are doing right now, only with new people, why fix what's not broke?
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #876
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Couple of pics from the PI:

The new Sound Transit light rail station near SeaTac Airport. (June 12, 2007)
Joshua Trujillo/Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Sound Transit's light rail elevated section. (June 12, 2007)
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #877
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Looking great! I love this new station! One of most beautiful light rail stations even I seen!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #878
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
Which is the stupidest idea I've ever heard, considering the history of Sound Transit. Back in the beginning stages of the agency, it was mainly lack of experience running a region wide transit agency that created all the mistakes and as result lead to a truncated first phase. To do that again would be extremely foolish. When I heard about that, I just had to shake my head at the short-sightedness/blindness of some politicians.

What would be the point, really, of removing Sound Transit? It doesn't make sense to me, their arguments. If this new umbrella agency is just going to do exactly the same thing as ST and the RTID partnership are doing right now, only with new people, why fix what's not broke?
Of course it's stupid - that's why I wrote an article chastising my state Senator for it. He then abstained from voting on the final bill.

The point of removing Sound Transit would be, in the state legislature's opinion, getting rid of an agency that wastes money without producing. This is, as you said, obviously stupid. Whether it's stupid or not doesn't really have an impact on their interest in doing it.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #879
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Couple of pics from the PI:

The new Sound Transit light rail station near SeaTac Airport. (June 12, 2007)

Sound Transit's light rail elevated section. (June 12, 2007)
I was down there last night - the balanced cantilevers you can see in the upper portion of the first photo each have ~6-8 sections on each side. I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge over 518 is complete next week. The gantry for building elevated sections is now north of the Duwamish river (which is north out of the second shot) on its way to I-5, where elevated trackway construction is already complete.

I think the overall elevated guideway work (north of Tukwila station, the one pictured in the first image) is a little less than three months from being complete. That on the last leg to the airport may be completed with the same gantry (although the contractor is supposed to be PCL, and I saw signs for Mowat on site).

Rail in the Rainier Valley is almost completely laid - small segments at the ends to connect to the elevated section at McClellan and at Boeing Access Road (north and south, respectively) are all that's left. In both Tukwila and on the south end of MLK, poles are going up for overhead wires.

Oh, and two days ago, I saw two of the new light rail cars connected and operating together in the operations and maintenance facility. That was cool.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #880
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

SWEET!!! two of them together... thats awsome... we are finally getting somewhere...
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail