daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #941
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I'm little concerned about the result of election for ST2 because today I read some opinion articles from local residents and some conversation I heard in my school. Some of them lost their supports in ST2 and wants to pay more taxes to repair/replace bridges and highways since the incident in Minneapolis. I have a feeling that issue is starting to kill ST2 ballot and the ballot for street/highway improvement gained its popularity dramatically. Also at school, I overheard some conversation from some students in my two classes that they plan to vote against ST2 and vote for highways bill since they feels that issues are more important to focus on than construct light rail. That is pretty sad to hear that. I understand that people are seriously concerned about public safety but we do need better public transit system too.
I believe most of the aging highway infrastructure can be federally funded because they're all on Interstates with the exception of the viaduct and evergreen point. I believe plans have been drawn out for the two replacements, but for something like the Minneapolis bridge, those can be placed into federal budgets. ST2 can only be funded by the state.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #942
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

The Puget Sound Regional Council, RTID, and Sound Transit are committed to pairing mass transit and highways together, so despite a renewed focus on highways, if the November ballot measure is turned down because of a non-interest in light rail, the highway measures won't pass either.
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #943
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
The Puget Sound Regional Council, RTID, and Sound Transit are committed to pairing mass transit and highways together, so despite a renewed focus on highways, if the November ballot measure is turned down because of a non-interest in light rail, the highway measures won't pass either.
That's even better...but do I really have to wait until I'm 40 to get the light rail....
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #944
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

That is relief to hear that. It is little trick for many people who are against light rail or highways/streets improvements. Both parties will win or lose at same time.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #945
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

For a while it would have been two separate questions on the ballot, one for the light rail portion, one for the roads portion. Presumably it would have stated somewhere that in order for either to pass, both would have to pass. The state legislature fixed that little mess by combining the two questions into one overarching question: roads and rail or nothing.

But yeah, unfortunately I will be 42 by the time we have light rail to Redmond, Lynnwood, and Tacoma via Seattle. Nonetheless, I personally believe it's important, and there may be issues between that time that could expedite the process. Who knows... it's twenty years. A lot can happen in 20 years.
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #946
CrazyAboutCities

Oh my god... I will be 42 too when they complete their projects.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #947
HAWC1506

Haha I will be...let's see........35....better study hard or else I'll end up living in one of those ST stations.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #948
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

from sound transit blog-

"Sound Transit released some stats on 2nd Quarter performance and their hard work is starting to pay off! Total ridership on Sounder, Link light rail, and Express buses went up 11% compared to last year. The Sounder alone went up 20% while Express buses went up 10% and Link light rail 2%. This is awesome, especially since Central Link isn't even completed yet. In fact they had 3.5 Million people use Sound Transit in the 2nd Quarter. "

Glad to see regional mass transit working so well!

Now let's nudge that ST2 timetable from 20 down to 5 years shall we?.....
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #949
citruspastels

Actually, what would you all think about getting serious about demanding a shorter timetable from Sound Transit and starting a petition?

Comon, who's with me? Who can actually stand the thought of 20 years passing in our beloved city before being able to ride a rail from Seattle to Bellevue?

Old August 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #950
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by citruspastels View Post
Actually, what would you all think about getting serious about demanding a shorter timetable from Sound Transit and starting a petition?

Comon, who's with me? Who can actually stand the thought of 20 years passing in our beloved city before being able to ride a rail from Seattle to Bellevue?

How bout some planning on when the stages are going to be built? You can already use the sounder to get from Everett to Tacoma. Why not prioritize the east side expansion over the north-south expansion? Connect Northgate, Bellevue, Renton, Downtown, and the Airport before you go about connecting tacoma and everett. Start construction on that in 2010, and be done by 2018.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #951
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah 20 years is too long. Petition!

And what's the link for the ST blog? I want to read it!
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #952
citruspastels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
How bout some planning on when the stages are going to be built? You can already use the sounder to get from Everett to Tacoma. Why not prioritize the east side expansion over the north-south expansion? Connect Northgate, Bellevue, Renton, Downtown, and the Airport before you go about connecting tacoma and everett. Start construction on that in 2010, and be done by 2018.
Yeah, but what about Shoreline to Downtown?

Or from U-District to Tacoma?

The Sounder is great but it just doesn't have that wide of a range. Build it all I say, it's all necessary.

Looks like sound transit updated their website with an interactive map-
http://st2.soundtransit.org/st2map/

The blog I quoted earlier is http://seatrans.blogspot.com/
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #953
CrazyAboutCities

I want to sign the petition!

I think the link from downtown Seattle to Microsoft campus, Tacoma and Evereet should get built at same time. All three links are very important part of Seattle metro area for people to get around the city.

I have a question. I looked at their website about streetcar for International District to First Hill/Capital Hill but they doesn't say when it will get built. Anyone knows when it will be complete?
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #954
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by citruspastels View Post
The Sounder is great but it just doesn't have that wide of a range. Build it all I say, it's all necessary.
Speaking of Sounder, the following photo recently appeared on another transit forum:

The photo was taken in Burbank, California on June 29, 2007. Despite the recent increase in service, Sound Transit is not yet able to deploy all the trains that were purchased for Sounder. The train in the above photo remains on lease to Metrolink in southern California. Other Sounder trains have been leased to commuter railways as distant as the Virginia Railway Express, which serves the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #955
HAWC1506

I don't know the construction completion or start time, BUT I DO KNOW AND I HAVE PICTURES, that the train-cars that they will be using for Seattle Streetcars are identical if not similar to the ones used in Hiroshima, Japan. I was there three weeks ago and I was pretty surprised when I saw that thing zooming around. I'll tell ya though, it's short, but it's pretty tall. I'll post pictures when I get back to the states.
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #956
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
For a while it would have been two separate questions on the ballot, one for the light rail portion, one for the roads portion. Presumably it would have stated somewhere that in order for either to pass, both would have to pass. The state legislature fixed that little mess by combining the two questions into one overarching question: roads and rail or nothing.

But yeah, unfortunately I will be 42 by the time we have light rail to Redmond, Lynnwood, and Tacoma via Seattle. Nonetheless, I personally believe it's important, and there may be issues between that time that could expedite the process. Who knows... it's twenty years. A lot can happen in 20 years.
Construction of the current Seattle light-rail system began in 2003, correct? And you are building in effect a heavy-rail line for light-rail cars, right? Then it would be roughly a generation before that ST2 map is completed. Not bad, actually. It took about thirty-five years (beginning in 1969) before the Metrorail system here in the Washington, D.C. region completed its current alignment in 2004.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #957
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
Construction of the current Seattle light-rail system began in 2003, correct? And you are building in effect a heavy-rail line for light-rail cars, right? Then it would be roughly a generation before that ST2 map is completed. Not bad, actually. It took about thirty-five years (beginning in 1969) before the Metrorail system here in the Washington, D.C. region completed its current alignment in 2004.
We're doing our expansion in one big lump, D.C.'s system grew quite gradually. plus DC's has more track length (106 miles vs 70 or so), is mostly underground within the city limits, and has many branches and lines.

P.S. Hales Brew House in Fremont is really good, its difficult to type coherently
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #958
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
We're doing our expansion in one big lump, D.C.'s system grew quite gradually. plus DC's has more track length (106 miles vs 70 or so), is mostly underground within the city limits, and has many branches and lines.

P.S. Hales Brew House in Fremont is really good, its difficult to type coherently
We are getting multiple lines too aren't we? Sea-Tac Airport line, Eastside line (maybe) and so forth.
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #959
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
We are getting multiple lines too aren't we? Sea-Tac Airport line, Eastside line (maybe) and so forth.
Compare the branchiness:

D.C.

Seattle:

Seattle has its one branch over to the East side, while DC tends to radiate outward like a plant. Yes, the Seattle system will have multiple lines, but not nearly as many as what D.C. has. Seattle's metro area is very stretched out north-south, so it really only has to have the one main line north south, while DC has to get to locales in all directions.
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #960
HAWC1506

Oh that's nothing

OH YEAH??? BEAT THIS MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Above Ground

That's not even half of it. There's a whole separate system below ground as well.

There's our inspiration from Tokyo.

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail