daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #1041
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
No they don't. Have you never been to New York City? The remaining 44 percent of non-transit trips made in NYC aren't by cars. In fact, the Census shows 21 percent of travel is by walking and cycling, with the rest split among taxis, for-hire vans, carpools, and driving alone.
<sigh> Why is it when someone generalizes or gives an erroneous fact there is always someone to say "Have you ever even been to X-city?" YES I have been to NYC. I was generalizing about OTHER cities. A transit oriented city such as NYC gets at most 50-60% mode split for transit. Let's assume by some miracle some other city, Dallas let's say (since I was critiquing it in another thread), gets 50% transit mode share. Are the rest going to walk? Take a cab? Ride a bike? (BEFORE YOU FREAKING ASK, yes I have been to Dallas!!!) I'll tell you right now, Dallas is not NYC and its land use will not allow the number of bikers and walkers that NYC has.

EDIT: By the way, NYC (Manhattan):
52% Transit
32% Car
1.6% Taxi
.4% Bike
10.5% Walked
The rest: other/worked from home/motorcycle

US CENSUS 2000

Last edited by Northsider; September 7th, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #1042
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I've never really ridden a sound transit bus though. Is it just a regular city bus?
hmm, define regular city bus? All I can say most sound transit express buses have nice colors in the interior of the bus with cushion seats. they also have row of seats like those ong distance coaches on many of their sound transit bus fleet. The same above goes for community transit, too.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #1043
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Oh yes and I believe she was talking about the highlands, urban village. Sure thing about the low traffic CURRENTLY, but she was talking about the future, in 30 years. Populations going to grow. There's almost no room to expand I-90. And the 3200 new homes aren't even done constructing yet. I am not a resident up there, but I can tell you when I pass by in the mornings, the GP lanes on the ramp to I-90 are crowded. All the way up the hill.
Issaquah Highlands is already at least 1/2 built out. The additional housing still to be built there will make only a small bit of difference.

Yes, the ramps getting onto I-90 in the morning are very crowded, but the bus uses the express lanes so it doesn't have to deal with all that.

Especially since they finished the new bus/HOV ramps onto the Eastgate P&R last fall, the bus trip is a breeze. The HOV lanes would have to get, like, 4 times more crowded in the morning to really slow the buses down, and that's not going to happen for another 50 years, if at all. That being the case, there is absolutely no need to extend the Link out to Issaquah, the buses are more than adequate.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #1044
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
Issaquah Highlands is already at least 1/2 built out. The additional housing still to be built there will make only a small bit of difference.

Yes, the ramps getting onto I-90 in the morning are very crowded, but the bus uses the express lanes so it doesn't have to deal with all that.

Especially since they finished the new bus/HOV ramps onto the Eastgate P&R last fall, the bus trip is a breeze. The HOV lanes would have to get, like, 4 times more crowded in the morning to really slow the buses down, and that's not going to happen for another 50 years, if at all. That being the case, there is absolutely no need to extend the Link out to Issaquah, the buses are more than adequate.
You're the commuter WSDOT is adding an additional carpool lane on the Mercer Island section of I-90 on the GP lanes down the bridge, (I'm not sure if it's going to extend onto the bridge or not) but would there be the need for that if it's already a breeze? I still don't get why they are doing that before the November vote though...
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1045
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
hmm, define regular city bus? All I can say most sound transit express buses have nice colors in the interior of the bus with cushion seats. they also have row of seats like those ong distance coaches on many of their sound transit bus fleet. The same above goes for community transit, too.
So it's not like a Metro bus?
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #1046
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

I like riding ST buses. They're cleaner, comfier with cushioned seats, no smelly or scary people, and the air conditioning works. You should try it out!

And I think supporters of lightrail to Issaquah would argue that a rail line would attract *more* transit riders than conventional buses. I just don't know if the future projected ridership numbers would be enough to justify building the line.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1047
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
You're the commuter WSDOT is adding an additional carpool lane on the Mercer Island section of I-90 on the GP lanes down the bridge, (I'm not sure if it's going to extend onto the bridge or not) but would there be the need for that if it's already a breeze? I still don't get why they are doing that before the November vote though...
Actually, I *have* been wondering why Sound Transit is bothering to build one of those at Mercer Island. The existing configuration is already very easy and quick for the buses to navigate.

Whatever. *shrugs*
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1048
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
And I think supporters of lightrail to Issaquah would argue that a rail line would attract *more* transit riders than conventional buses.
I doubt it would. As I've said, the buses going to downtown Seattle from Issaquah are already so quick and easy there's little disincentive for people to take them. Shaving a few minutes off the trip isn't going to make much difference.
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1049
HAWC1506

Quote:
I doubt it would. As I've said, the buses going to downtown Seattle from Issaquah are already so quick and easy there's little disincentive for people to take them. Shaving a few minutes off the trip isn't going to make much difference.
How frequent do the buses run? I guess trains have a much easier time keeping up with schedule though. And also one driver per train can carry many more people per run. But now that I think about it, not all Issaquah Highlanders need to travel to Downtown. If it's safe to assume Issaquah with 10,000 commuters, and a LR that carries 800 people in a 4 or even 3 car config, I don't think ridership will be that high...

And for the express lanes at Mercer Island, I guess WSDOT is assuming that the chance of the November vote passing is pretty great...because light rail is going to be extended via express lanes. We have 8 lanes on all directions+HOV now, if LR comes, we'll still have 8 lanes.
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1050
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I don't know how fequent the bus comes between Seattle-Issaquah but I know that Seattle-Lynnwood Community transit buses comes every 5 to 7 minutes during peak hours.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1051
HAWC1506

Also a little eye candy for your enjoyment

Shinkansen in Japan (The one on the right is a double decker.)

Inside

Streetcar in Hiroshima (Note the Seattle Street car similarities)

Streetcar in Hiroshima again

Train Station Sign

Central Line in Tokyo: Notice Ridership (sorry for blurriness, I was in a hurry)

Central Line again

Now note this, displays in the train:

Central Line Sign (note number of heads on the bottom of the picture.)

Train Station Sign (note the number of platforms. The number is as high as 23 once you walk down the corridor)

Train Station

Platform (Not rush hour)

Enjoy. I will post more on the Bellevue threads that is relevant there.

Last edited by HAWC1506; September 8th, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1052
HAWC1506

OH yes can't forget my little friend on the 9 hour Shinkansen trip spanning the length of Japan.

Old September 8th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #1053
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

nice straight
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #1054
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
How frequent do the buses run?
The 554 (the express bus to downtown Seattle) runs every 1/2 hour, from early in the morning to late at night.

If they extended a light rail link to Issaquah, you can be sure it would be no more or less frequent.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1055
HAWC1506

Quote:
The 554 (the express bus to downtown Seattle) runs every 1/2 hour, from early in the morning to late at night.

If they extended a light rail link to Issaquah, you can be sure it would be no more or less frequent.
Is ridership in Issaquah high for the buses?

Last edited by HAWC1506; September 8th, 2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1056
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

Community Transit double-decker bus

Has anyone else seen this great-looking bus on the streets of Seattle (or on home roads in Snohomish County)? I'd love to take a ride on it, if only I had a reason to go north and stay as Community Transit serves Seattle only at rush hour and only one way. In any event, here's a link. http://www.commtrans.org/?mc=Newsandevents&Subcat=10
Ginkgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1057
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
Has anyone else seen this great-looking bus on the streets of Seattle (or on home roads in Snohomish County)? I'd love to take a ride on it, if only I had a reason to go north and stay as Community Transit serves Seattle only at rush hour and only one way. In any event, here's a link. http://www.commtrans.org/?mc=Newsandevents&Subcat=10
Never heard of it. Is it a new company?
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1058
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Is ridership in Issaquah high for the buses?
Pretty much so. Especially during rush hours, of course.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1059
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Never heard of it. Is it a new company?
Community Transit has been around for decades.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #1060
HAWC1506

Quote:
Community Transit has been around for decades.
Really? Are they like Sound Transit?

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail