daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1081
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Hmmm one question, when businesses are expanding towards the suburbs, are they existing businesses dividing up their campus, or are they new businesses coming in?

Also do you know if the different Microsoft campuses are residential based? So maybe you live in Issaquah or Bellevue, then you work at the Issaquah campus. Or if you live in Seattle, you get the Seattle Campus. Maybe? No?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #1082
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post

Hmmm one question, when businesses are expanding towards the suburbs, are they existing businesses dividing up their campus, or are they new businesses coming in?

Also do you know if the different Microsoft campuses are residential based? So maybe you live in Issaquah or Bellevue, then you work at the Issaquah campus. Or if you live in Seattle, you get the Seattle Campus. Maybe? No?
I have no idea...I am not that familiar with Seattle. I can relate to Chicago, when Sears left Sears Tower way back when and moved to the suburbs they just located on some huge tract of land on the fringe. They did not divide up their campus. I am not sure if I understand your question clearly.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1083
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
^ so we shouldn't build dense because of rowdy teenagers?!?
A lot of the enthusiasm for denser development seems to be motivated by political idealism. Idealism can begin to wear thin when there is graffiti in the stairwell, the kid down the hall is blasting his stereo late at night, and you would like to go for a walk but decide it isn't worth the risk of getting mugged.

I am a native of Seattle but I have also lived in densely developed parts of the San Francisco bay area, Boston, and the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I now live in a single-family house in the small town in southeastern Virginia. I like it here. It's quiet and my family and I feel safe. I don't ever care to live in a high-rise again. Someday when I no longer have the energy to maintain a lawn, my wife and I might move to a townhouse. Perhaps that might meet the approval of those who advocate for denser development.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #1084
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Can the New Urbanism coexist with Walmart?

I am asking this question here because there seem to be several New Urbanism advocates who frequent this thread.

The county I live in, Isle of Wight, has a population of only about 30,000. The largest town, Smithfield, has a population of only about 7000. A New Urbanism development called Benn's Grant is in the planning stages. It would be built on farm land about two miles outside of town. The projected population of the new development is equal to about half the population of the existing town. It is being described as "New Urbanism", but there is a lot of skepticism that this is just a smokescreen for simply jamming more houses onto a given piece of land than would otherwise be allowed under current zoning. The fact that a Walmart would sit in the middle of it further feeds the skepticism.

A couple of articles describing the proposed development appear below.

==========================================================
http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...663&ran=188866

Isle of Wight to consider 100-room hotel
By LINDA MCNATT, The Virginian-Pilot
© June 27, 2006

ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY - A 100-room hotel, restaurant and conference center could soon join the residential and commercial developments on the drawing boards for the Benn s Church intersection near Smithfield.

The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing today to consider rezoning about five acres northeast of the intersection, near the existing Queen Anne's Court townhouses, not far from historic St. Luke's Church.

The land was zoned for a similar development several years ago, but when that rezoning ran out, it reverted to rural agricultural conservation status, said Amy Ring, assistant director of planning and zoning. The application calls for conditional general commercial zoning.

The hotel, which could cost nearly $12 million, would be designed to complement the 430-home subdivision, St. Luke's Village and the old church, said Justin Sizemore, attorney representing the land owners.

"We want to bring something really nice in," Sizemore said. "We think it's a project Isle of Wight really needs in a part of the county that's going to see a lot of growth."

With the new hotel, overnight accommodations in the county would about double , he said. An economic impact study estimates that the hotel would bring about 25 new jobs to the area with a payroll of about $500,000 a year. It could also produce an annual estimated tax revenue of $350,000, Sizemore said.

The intersection of Va. 10 and U.S. 258/32 at Benn s Church has been targeted for growth. Benn's Grant, a proposed development on the other side of U.S. 258, is slated to include about 1,100 homes, a retail district, medical offices and an office park.

"It's the new urbanism," Sizemore said.

If all goes well, the hotel could start construction in about a year.

The Planning Commission meets at 6 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors' meeting room at the Isle of Wight Courthouse.

Reach Linda McNatt at (757)222-5561 or [email protected].

=========================================================
http://www.industrywatch.com/pages/i...=&R=&VNC=hnall

Isle of Wight Doesn't Need "New Urbanism"

Virginian - Pilot, Arrival Time: 2007-08-14

By REGINA HAGGERTY

As a military family, we have lived, over a period of 25 years, in six states and four countries. When the time came to leave the Air Force, we carefully considered where we'd want to settle and chose the Hampton Roads area.

We had the great good fortune to come to Isle of Wight eight years ago and build our retirement home. This is the best place we've lived, ever, and we feel so incredibly lucky to have found it. We've even had several friends move here after visiting us and seeing what the town and county have to offer.

Now, however, we feel the lifestyle we've come to love is in serious jeopardy. We and many other residents of Smithfield and Isle of Wight County don't want the massive Benn's Grant development in our midst.

According to the developer's projections, there will be 1,080 new homes. Since the average family size is 3.14, that will mean 3,391 new residents. Our schools are already overloaded and understaffed. Our fire, police and sheriff's departments would be greatly stressed. This would mean the end of our volunteer emergency services.

This mega-development offers little for Isle of Wight residents. Although increased medical care facilities would be a good thing and are touted as part of the plan, there has been no firm commitment .

Other than baseball fields, which are planned for the use of Benn's Grant residents, there has been no mention of any other recreational facility, such as movie theaters or bowling alleys.

This is too high a price to pay for convenient shopping at Wal- Mart. Most of us who have moved to this area, as well as longtime residents, cherish our rural quality of life. We have at least three Wal-Marts within a 25-minute drive.

Wal-Mart has the reputation of taking risks in locating in low- density areas such as ours, and then abruptly leaving if the numbers aren't good within the first couple of years.

The developers have stated that this project will bring something like 5,000 new jobs to our county. We need to know what kind of positions these will be. Most of the new jobs will not pay enough for workers to be able to live here. They will have to commute and further exacerbate the traffic problem

The developers tout this venture as "new urbanism." The point is, we are not urban! We're rural, and most of us like it this way. I've asked countless residents how they feel about Benn's Grant, and I can find no one who wants it. This project will destroy our existing small businesses.

There are many unanswered questions concerning environmental impact. The traffic "solutions" proposed by county consultants change weekly.

Certainly increased development is inevitable. Just in the past couple of years, we've welcomed the new communities of Eagle Harbor, Founder's Pointe, Wellington Estates, Villas of Smithfield and now the new Church Square townhouse development. Soon to come: Mallory Pointe, Lawnes Pointe and the development approved for the old Smithfield Downs golf course.

Yet we're being asked to accept what is, in essence, another town. Growth will continue to come to our community. Will it be responsible growth? Do we want to continue to exist as a town? Or do we want to become a city?

Let your voice be heard if you object to this project. This is not yet a done deal.

Regina Haggerty lives in Smithfield.

(c) 2007 Virginian - Pilot. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1085
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Misc. comment: The large majority of Puget Sound area office construction is in Seattle, Bellevue, or Redmond. If you consider that the metro is elongated north and south, the office construction is mostly in a narrow band in the center. Said differently, most of it is either in Downtown Seattle or within 10-11 miles east as the crow flies. Even closer if it's in Downtown Bellevue.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1086
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

I found this 1967 rapid transit map today on flicr, and it's interesting to note how close our current Light rail plans resemble the ones from the 60s. Well it's better late than never!

kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #1087
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Interesting
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #1088
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

If that rapid transit system built... We won't have traffic problem by now for sure. It goes almost everywhere that people wants to go to. I can see it goes to Microsoft's three campuses (Redmond, Bellevue, and Seattle) and it connected to almost every big name companies, shopping malls, tourist sites, and Sea-Tac International Airport. If it built, we might don't have to wide all freeways or asking us to vote to say yes on raise the taxes to build every projects that would solve traffic congestions. Who knows?

That would be nice if time-machine is real thing, we could do some experiments to see which system would work great for Seattle and metro area by go back to the past then go see today or future.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1089
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
I found this 1967 rapid transit map today on flicr, and it's interesting to note how close our current Light rail plans resemble the ones from the 60s. Well it's better late than never!

wow, nice find! seems that monorail green line is on the similar looking route. I guess the light rail line changed from what the heavy rail line had in 1967 map. Maybe the population in the area shifted. interesting, there was the 3rd bridge north of sr 520 floating bridge, it never happened. hmmm

Last edited by sequoias; September 12th, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #1090
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I'm glad that proposed third "floating" bridges never got built.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #1091
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
People working at Microsoft live wherever they want to live. Same as everyone else.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1092
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

That '67 plan is nice, but King County rejected the cost, so all the Government money went to Atlanta, to build their 4-line subway system.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #1093
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

Had to pick family up at the airport today. Didn't get any pictures, but got to circle through the big C.F. going on down there a couple times. Any news on the airport station? Have they found a contractor, or settled on a plan yet? You could see the big area cleared for it, and they're progressing on the track leading up to it, but nothing really going on with the station.
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #1094
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
People working at Microsoft live wherever they want to live. Same as everyone else.
Nono I know that I'm just wondering if they are able to choose the closest campus to work at. There that should clarify that.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #1095
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Had to pick family up at the airport today. Didn't get any pictures, but got to circle through the big C.F. going on down there a couple times. Any news on the airport station? Have they found a contractor, or settled on a plan yet? You could see the big area cleared for it, and they're progressing on the track leading up to it, but nothing really going on with the station.
yes, they have a contractor already to build that extension from international blvd station. they're currently moving the loop so they make room for the station.
so far, they're doing the support posts and highway loop impovements. it should open in late 2009 (6 months after the s. 154th st. to westlake station opens in june or july 2009.)
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1096
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

A little less than two years left... I'm getting excited already.
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1097
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Okay so spreading out = cheaper, but less efficient transportation.
But that means not everyone works in DT right? So wouldn't that relieve the city a little bit?
No, it's not cheaper - it's actually much more expensive, but the costs are shifted largely to the public.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1098
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
The 554 (the express bus to downtown Seattle) runs every 1/2 hour, from early in the morning to late at night.

If they extended a light rail link to Issaquah, you can be sure it would be no more or less frequent.
Actually, it would be every 15 minutes. Go read the long range plan!
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1099
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
A little less than two years left... I'm getting excited already.
Seriously! I just flew a few days ago and saw columns right up to Airport station.
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #1100
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

New site showing ST2 rail projects

Check it out (it takes a while to load):

http://soundtransit2.com

I set up a little google maps implementation with the Sound Transit 2 lines and some of the other work that's on the ballot this year. Eventually I'll add the buses, but the rail projects are much bigger so that's what I'm doing first.

Remember to zoom in!

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail