daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #1101
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
Check it out (it takes a while to load):

http://soundtransit2.com

I set up a little google maps implementation with the Sound Transit 2 lines and some of the other work that's on the ballot this year. Eventually I'll add the buses, but the rail projects are much bigger so that's what I'm doing first.

Remember to zoom in!
Whoaaa nice website! Thanks for putting that up! I've never heard of sound move (light blue) though. Can someone explain that a bit? I don't remember seeing plans for rail systems down to McChord AFB. Thanks again!
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #1102
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Check it out (it takes a while to load):

http://soundtransit2.com

I set up a little google maps implementation with the Sound Transit 2 lines and some of the other work that's on the ballot this year. Eventually I'll add the buses, but the rail projects are much bigger so that's what I'm doing first.

Remember to zoom in!
I have found lot of bugs of your website. Have you tried testing it with several web browsers? In Safari, it doesn't show the lines, but the colored icons are correct with names next to it. In Firefox, it runs very slow and shows wrong icons next to the names like for example Sounder commuter rail is really the light rail line. In Opera, it doesn't show the rail lines but shows the icons on the map. You might want to test the bugs out to be sure it is working correctly in web browsers.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1103
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Whoaaa nice website! Thanks for putting that up! I've never heard of sound move (light blue) though. Can someone explain that a bit? I don't remember seeing plans for rail systems down to McChord AFB. Thanks again!
Hi! Thanks. Sound Move is what the original Sound Transit plan is called - what we're using and building right now is all Sound Move.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #1104
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I have found lot of bugs of your website. Have you tried testing it with several web browsers? In Safari, it doesn't show the lines, but the colored icons are correct with names next to it. In Firefox, it runs very slow and shows wrong icons next to the names like for example Sounder commuter rail is really the light rail line. In Opera, it doesn't show the rail lines but shows the icons on the map. You might want to test the bugs out to be sure it is working correctly in web browsers.
Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about these issues. I'm simply implementing the Google Maps API - and the way the overlays are displayed is up to them. I've tested in IE and Firefox on Windows, but it's known to be broken on Safari on Mac, probably Firefox on Mac, and Firefox on Linux.

So complain to Google!

On it being slow - that's because there's a fair amount of data there. In my next revision I hope to enable toggling those overlays on and off, but at the moment I'm quite sick and about to get back to doing school full time and work full time at the same time again, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to change right now.
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #1105
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

From the Sound Transit website:
------------------------------------------------

Expert Review Panel Concludes that Sound Transit 2 Plan Meets Requirements

September 14, 2007

The independent Expert Review Panel (ERP) appointed by the state to review Sound Transit’s work on the ST2 Plan on Sept 13 issued the below news release on the completion of its work.

SEATTLE - An independent Expert Review Panel has concluded that the Sound Transit Phase 2 (ST2) Plan for regional transit is based on sound methodologies and reasonable assumptions that are consistent with industry standards, and meets the Washington state requirements for high capacity transit system planning. The ST2 plan will go to the voters in November 2007 as part of the “Roads & Transit” package with the Regional Transportation Investment District (RTID) ballot proposal.

The eight-member Expert Review Panel provided its conclusions in a letter to its appointing authorities— the governor, the chairs of the House and Senate transportation committees of the state legislature, and the Secretary of Transportation—along with the Chair of the Sound Transit Board and the Sound Transit CEO. The panel’s letter also noted cautions in three areas for implementing the ST2 Plan: the unprecedented level of construction activity expected in the region, the advisability of continued analysis of light rail on the I-90 bridge, and the importance of firming up formal agreements with local jurisdictions.

“Over the last 30 months, the panel has suggested a number of adjustments to Sound Transit’s planning methodologies and assumptions,” said Siim Sööt, the panel’s current chair and an expert in ridership forecasting. “The panel was pleased to see that many of these suggestions were incorporated into the final ST2 plan.”

The panel was appointed in November 2004 in accordance with state legislation (RCW 81.104.110). The panel’s role was to pose and assess critical questions, review key methodologies and assumptions in the Sound Transit 2 Plan, and ensure that the assumptions being used were appropriate and reasonable. The panel met eight times to review Sound Transit’s planning work, and hear from Sound Transit staff and consultants, and also from interested members of the public.

The panel members were selected from across the country to provide expertise spanning key technical areas. These include: project cost estimating, capital finance plan review, ridership forecasting, modal analysis, legal and political architecture of Sound Transit’s legislative charter,environmental impact statement preparation, local design and constructability, and transit operations and maintenance.

More information: ERP Website Contact: John Howell, Expert Review Panel Administrator, 206-223-7660, ext. 102
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1106
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Nono I know that I'm just wondering if they are able to choose the closest campus to work at. There that should clarify that.
No, we aren't.
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1107
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about these issues. I'm simply implementing the Google Maps API - and the way the overlays are displayed is up to them. I've tested in IE and Firefox on Windows, but it's known to be broken on Safari on Mac, probably Firefox on Mac, and Firefox on Linux.

So complain to Google!

On it being slow - that's because there's a fair amount of data there. In my next revision I hope to enable toggling those overlays on and off, but at the moment I'm quite sick and about to get back to doing school full time and work full time at the same time again, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to change right now.
thank you very much for explaining to me about that. Nice job, by the way, though. I guess I should blame it on google for the web browser compability issues. :-/
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1108
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
It works fine for me on Firefox. I haven't tried any other browsers but, I don't see a problem with Firefox. Different version maybe?
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1109
HAWC1506

In fact, I just tried it out with IE 7 and Firefox 2.0.0.6. For me, it's more choppy with lag on IE 7. Could be bandwidth.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1110
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
In fact, I just tried it out with IE 7 and Firefox 2.0.0.6. For me, it's more choppy with lag on IE 7. Could be bandwidth.
Firefox on Windows is fine - Firefox on other operating systems doesn't display everything. Yeah, IE7 doesn't cache past the edges of the screen or something, so it has to load new data whenever you scroll? I'm not sure what's up with that, but I just use Firefox on Windows.
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #1111
HAWC1506

Quote:
Firefox on Windows is fine - Firefox on other operating systems doesn't display everything. Yeah, IE7 doesn't cache past the edges of the screen or something, so it has to load new data whenever you scroll? I'm not sure what's up with that, but I just use Firefox on Windows.
Same here.
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #1112
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Is the initial segment open for use? I have seen pictures of people waiting at station and riding...or were these just the test runs?
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #1113
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider1983 View Post
Is the initial segment open for use? I have seen pictures of people waiting at station and riding...or were these just the test runs?
The Light Rail?
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #1114
Northsider

Quote:
The Light Rail?
That's the title of this thread, isn't it?
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #1115
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider1983 View Post
Those are probably test runs or marketing pics. It's not open to the public till mid 2009.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #1116
Seattlist
I only tried it once

Likes (Received): 0

I went to the tunnel opening today, and got to walk around one of the light rail vehicles. I have tons of pics but can someone explain to me how to upload pics.
Seattlist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1117
Northsider

go to http://www.imageshack.us/ and upload them.

Then for them to show you must do this:
Quote:
[img]www.imageshack/yourphoto.jpg[/img]
You must put in the IMG tags around your photo link.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1118
Seattlist
I only tried it once

Sneak Peek at the Downtown Tunnel

Here are the pics from the Downtown transit tunnel open house. Enjoy!

Old September 19th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #1119
Northsider

There you go! Great share, thanks a lot! Has both forward facing and inward facing seating?
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1120
Seattlist
I only tried it once

It only has inward faced seating in the middle of the LRV (where the articulation is) and right next to the doors (these fold up for wheelchair riders)

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail