daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #161
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

tunnel reopens next September. Do you think light rail sharing with busses is a good idea??? Is it common for the two to mix?
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #162
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
tunnel reopens next September. Do you think light rail sharing with busses is a good idea??? Is it common for the two to mix?

I dont know I think it will take some time to get used to it but Im sure itll work, and its a new Idea. What part of Seattle do you live in??
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #163
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

East Side

Have there been any plans to expand the system inside the city limits (besides the extension to Northgate)? A line over to magnolia/ballard along the water front would be cool, but I guess the city is so long and narrow, the one line through the middle will do for a good while. I know there's also been talk of expanding our two developing trolley systems:

South Lake Union Street Trolley (under construction):
http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/stcar_slu.htm

Waterfront Street Trolley (only bus service until new maintenance facility is finished in Pioneer Square):
http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/wfsc...streetcar.html
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #164
Mongo8780
New guy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinessbeer55 View Post
I dont know I think it will take some time to get used to it but Im sure itll work, and its a new Idea. What part of Seattle do you live in??

It's not completely a new idea:

http://pghbridges.com/pittsburghW/05...tonPAT_tun.htm

Mongo8780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #165
guinessbeer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo8780 View Post
What city is that in??
Old December 25th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #166
coreyt

Likes (Received): 9

pittsburgh.
coreyt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #167
guinessbeer55

Check this video out of the train rolling out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZhQC6j26fv4
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #168
guinessbeer55

does anyone know when there starting work on universiy link
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #169
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
does anyone know when there starting work on universiy link
2008 at the earliest.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #170
guinessbeer55

this is really good...

I also heard that theyll be expanding the streetcar... adding lines on first hill, 5th avenue, and 3rd avenue
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #171
kub86
Twinkie

Really? Are you talking about the waterfront line? I know they're expanding the SLU one to the U District; though I don't know when. Do you have a map of the expanded routes?

EDIT: never mind. I noticed bouldergrad already posted links I might find useful.
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #172
kub86
Twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Have there been any plans to expand the system inside the city limits (besides the extension to Northgate)? A line over to magnolia/ballard along the water front would be cool, but I guess the city is so long and narrow, the one line through the middle will do for a good while.
I know the next phase in Sound Transit is for the northgate extension plus East Side extensions. So maybe after that? But the Mag/Bal line that you're talking about was the monorail line.

Old December 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #173
guinessbeer55

I think it would be great if in place of the monorail line, sound transit would built an extention to queen anne, fremont, and ballard, and then also over to west seattle.
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #174
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
I know the next phase in Sound Transit is for the northgate extension plus East Side extensions. So maybe after that? But the Mag/Bal line that you're talking about was the monorail line.

Maybe since the monorail project got cancelled, they'll follow that route with a light rail expansion.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #175
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Since the demise of the Green Line monorail project, the only substitute project that civic leaders have advanced is a bus rapid transit plan:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...estseattle.htm

Unfortunately, the plan lacks the dedicated traffic lanes through choke points that are necessary to make bus rapid transit effective.

Several years ago, the city performed the "Intermediate Capacity Transit Study" (ICTS) to evaluate options for transit service to Ballard and West Seattle:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...ecommendations

A key finding was that a streetcar line would be effective for serving West Seattle. A branch of the Central Link light rail line to West Seattle along the route intended for the Green Line monorail would make perfect sense. Unfortunately, this is not on the planning horizon. Sound Transit's first priority within the city limits of Seattle is the extension of Central Link to the University of Washington. The next priority is the further extension to Northgate. Sound Transit's funding is divided by service areas. Taxes collected in one service area cannot be spent in another service area. This is the reason that the Tacoma Streetcar can be free while Sound Transit struggles to find money to complete its projects in Seattle.

Service to Ballard is more complicated. The ICTS study concluded that an elevated transit line was the most effective option to serve Ballard. Monorail remains a very attractive option for that route. It is unlikely that a light rail line on an elevated viaduct would be acceptable through the northern end of the downtown area due to the shading of the street and the noise. The only other option for light rail would be to put the line in a tunnel, which would be prohibitively expensive. Regardless, Sound Transit isn't likely to have funds available for such a route for many years.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #176
guinessbeer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Since the demise of the Green Line monorail project, the only substitute project that civic leaders have advanced is a bus rapid transit plan:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...estseattle.htm

Unfortunately, the plan lacks the dedicated traffic lanes through choke points that are necessary to make bus rapid transit effective.

Several years ago, the city performed the "Intermediate Capacity Transit Study" (ICTS) to evaluate options for transit service to Ballard and West Seattle:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...ecommendations

A key finding was that a streetcar line would be effective for serving West Seattle. A branch of the Central Link light rail line to West Seattle along the route intended for the Green Line monorail would make perfect sense. Unfortunately, this is not on the planning horizon. Sound Transit's first priority within the city limits of Seattle is the extension of Central Link to the University of Washington. The next priority is the further extension to Northgate. Sound Transit's funding is divided by service areas. Taxes collected in one service area cannot be spent in another service area. This is the reason that the Tacoma Streetcar can be free while Sound Transit struggles to find money to complete its projects in Seattle.

Service to Ballard is more complicated. The ICTS study concluded that an elevated transit line was the most effective option to serve Ballard. Monorail remains a very attractive option for that route. It is unlikely that a light rail line on an elevated viaduct would be acceptable through the northern end of the downtown area due to the shading of the street and the noise. The only other option for light rail would be to put the line in a tunnel, which would be prohibitively expensive. Regardless, Sound Transit isn't likely to have funds available for such a route for many years.
How could the city waste their money on building a bus rapid transit system, uhhhh its so unappealing
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #177
sequoias

That data is old (transit planning), back in 2001. There's no immediate plans so far we know.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #178
guinessbeer55

I definatly think the first thing we should do is expand it to the eastside... I mean you have microsoft... and bellevue is becoming huge now too with more upscale shopping opening soon like neiman marcus and saks new york.
So it would be a wise investment.
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #179
BoulderGrad

Quote:
I definatly think the first thing we should do is expand it to the eastside... I mean you have microsoft... and bellevue is becoming huge now too with more upscale shopping opening soon like neiman marcus and saks new york.
So it would be a wise investment.
First things first. You need to provide a way to get over to the east side. Things seem to be getting contentious over how to re-do the 520 bridge, and I'm not sure if the I-90 bridge is rated for light rail traffic too. But before that we have to worry about finishing the original line, replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct, Replacing the 520 bridge, re-paving I-5, etc.

So many transportation projects... so little time and money....

We'll see how it all pans out in the next few years
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #180
sequoias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
First things first. You need to provide a way to get over to the east side. Things seem to be getting contentious over how to re-do the 520 bridge, and I'm not sure if the I-90 bridge is rated for light rail traffic too. But before that we have to worry about finishing the original line, replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct, Replacing the 520 bridge, re-paving I-5, etc.

So many transportation projects... so little time and money....

We'll see how it all pans out in the next few years
They already tested I-90 bridge for light rail traffic, it's strong enough and will do just fine. It should be used on the express lanes of I-90 from Seattle to extreme West of Bellevue. They used semi trucks with a huge load of dirt equal the weight of the light rail which is 107k lbs each car, several times on the bridge.

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail