daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1921
seawastate

Likes (Received): 1

Seattle has always been an unfortunate place for rail in general. Voters here voted down several rail projects from the 1970s which would have given us a heavy rail subway like in New York. WHen we finally do approve something (Sound Transit Light Rail - 1996) (Green Line Monorail Extension), something bad always happens. Monorail was not planned well from the start and costs went up astronomically. It was stopped. SOund Transit also encountered cost overruns so that the initial segment was delayed till 2009 (13 years since it was approved) and scaled back. At least the initial segment is coming online.

Anyways.... comments made online don't generally reflect what most people in general think, just those who really have a strong opinion and what to express them, even if it means arguing endlessly over some guy's political views.
seawastate no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1922
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawastate View Post
Anyways.... comments made online don't generally reflect what most people in general think, just those who really have a strong opinion and what to express them, even if it means arguing endlessly over some guy's political views.
As this poll shows

http://seattletransitblog.com/2008/0...-poll-results/
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1923
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i never thought american city be so underdeveloped in terms of public transpŁortation system!
i ve been in new york and i think its the only city with huge system!people really dont need cars in manhattan!
maybe amereiican car industry is against it!and the oil industry-cause more subways and urban light trains means lesss cars beeing sold and less benzin will be buyed!and these means less profit for american oil companys!
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1924
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbaze tabarestan View Post
i never thought american city be so underdeveloped in terms of public transpŁortation system!
i ve been in new york and i think its the only city with huge system!people really dont need cars in manhattan!
maybe amereiican car industry is against it!and the oil industry-cause more subways and urban light trains means lesss cars beeing sold and less benzin will be buyed!and these means less profit for american oil companys!
I think the biggest difference is what is considered important within a certain society.
For example the US people considers individuality important while Japanese considers group effort a virtue and shuns excessive individuality as a chauvinist.

Cars have always been a lifestyle statement for individual owners and cheerished by Americans. Japanese also consider these virtues but are also wary of other peers limiting their choice.

When people starts thinking of society as whole is when people stops complaining about "What is it in for ME."
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1925
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbaze tabarestan View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_A...eetcar_Scandal
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #1926
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #1927
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

What do you guys think will happen in November?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1928
uwhuskies

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
What do you guys think will happen in November?
while I hope the measure will pass, I think it will fail pretty badly because there is opposition from the liberal left, conservatives and moderates. Where the hell is the Sound Transit support advertisements? They did the same crap the last measure that fail...they waited till the last moment and ran a few ads. There should be radio and tv ads every day reminding people NOW that a NO vote today will mean sitting in a virtual parking lot for 3 hours a day 10 years from now. The Sound Transit folks are true amateurs!
uwhuskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #1929
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhuskies View Post
while I hope the measure will pass, I think it will fail pretty badly because there is opposition from the liberal left, conservatives and moderates. Where the hell is the Sound Transit support advertisements? They did the same crap the last measure that fail...they waited till the last moment and ran a few ads. There should be radio and tv ads every day reminding people NOW that a NO vote today will mean sitting in a virtual parking lot for 3 hours a day 10 years from now. The Sound Transit folks are true amateurs!
http://seattletransitblog.com/2008/0...-poll-results/
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1930
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
http://www.komonews.com/news/29304324.html

Read the comments. Sickens me.
It's really just one insanely ignorant poster who repeats the same bogus bullshit over and over again.
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #1931
HAWC1506

Amen, I sure hope that's the case too.

Btw, does anyone think the light rail cars look like toys? lol
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #1932
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhuskies View Post
Whoa. Sound Transit can't get involved in the campaign - ST is funded by tax money. And nobody has much money for a campaign this year because of the big top-ticket races.

If you want to help, go to http://masstransitnow.org and donate. I gave them a hundred bucks.

And... uh, I'm not seeing much opposition at all. Check out their list of endorsements. All the Democrats, environmental groups, big businesses... the only opposition seems to be from some crackpots who have been opposing this stuff since the 1960s.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1933
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawastate View Post
SOund Transit also encountered cost overruns so that the initial segment was delayed till 2009 (13 years since it was approved) and scaled back. At least the initial segment is coming online.
Note that Link, at least the part that's opening, is actually only 3 years late. It was scheduled originally for 2006. Also, they are technically doing what was on the ballot in 1996 - they're going from the U-district to the airport. Northgate was always a 'if we have money' option.
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #1934
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
!!! This is EXACTLY (or close enough) what I was hoping for. The last package took waaay too long for full build out. Thank God Sound Transit finally listened to the people and will offer a quicker package!! Though I still think 2020 is still too long of a wait (2 yrs planning + 5 yrs construction = 2016) - especially if there's very little tunnels to bore out.
Those aren't what takes time, really. The thing that delays all this is that 0.5% isn't actually that much money. Because Sound Transit has to pay for each line with a different subarea's money, and because they have a sound financial plan, they have to save for a long time before they have enough of a cushion to issue bonds. They're paying as much as they can up front, as not to lose money debt service in the long term.
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #1935
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
^ some of those dates look depressing tho - 2023? thats kinda far off

a good beginning
It'll be sped up. Those dates assume tiny federal contributions. Basically, if we get Obama and Biden, the FTA budget will likely increase (as infrastructure development is a great use of public money during a recession) and we'll get it faster.
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1936
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
Note that Link, at least the part that's opening, is actually only 3 years late. It was scheduled originally for 2006. Also, they are technically doing what was on the ballot in 1996 - they're going from the U-district to the airport. Northgate was always a 'if we have money' option.
The 1996 vote called for a line from the University District to the airport to open by 2006. The line that will be opened in 2009 will be from downtown to the airport. The segment from downtown to the university will be at least ten years late.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1937
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
The 1996 vote called for a line from the University District to the airport to open by 2006. The line that will be opened in 2009 will be from downtown to the airport. The segment from downtown to the university will be at least ten years late.
Yep, but the original ten year schedule wouldn't have been possible - not even in a best case scenario - because of the labor and land prices skyrocketing, plus the building boom.

The only way it would have worked on that schedule is if the FTA had given us the U Link grant (and all the others) ten years ago, instead of in 2008.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #1938
HAWC1506

Just be glad that something's actually being done...
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1939
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Sound Transit Photo of the Week for October 3 - 9, 2008

Checking out the train
Rainier Valley residents enjoyed the sunshine last Saturday and got a close up look at a Link light rail vehicle at the Othello Station. The vehicle was part of the MLK Safety Street Fair that included food, prizes and light rail safety messages. Link trains will begin carrying passengers next July.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #1940
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Othello station? That's a weird name for a LR station.....

Hopefully whoever named it has never read the book.

Tags
king county metro, seattle, sound transit, us light rail