daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
cyborg81
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai/Sydney/Los Angeles
Posts: 395
Likes (Received): 1

'Corruption chokes India's infra potential'

NEW DELHI: India lacks sufficient cash reserves to finance its infrastructure wish-list while high corruption levels and bureaucratic hurdles have made international financing hard to come by, a study says.

"Unlike China, India does not have enough cash to self-finance its considerable infrastructure wish-list, although the country boasts of USD 190 billion in foreign exchange reserves to leverage project funding," global professional services firm Ernst and Young (E&Y) said in its latest report.

The report, which examines trends in infrastructure and finance, said these hurdles could block India's transformation from a third world country into a 'global powerhouse'.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had last year pegged the investment requirement for the infrastructure sector at USD 320 billion for the next few years.

Though India welcomes private investments through public-private partnerships allowing up to 100 per cent of foreign equity in projects, loopholes like weak regulatory controls and bureaucracy create delays and uncertainties besides adding to costs.

"Corruption in India has made international financing for infrastructure hard to come by; without it, India's infrastructure will remain stuck in the previous era," the report titled 'Infrastructure 2007:A Global Perspective' said.

However, the country's capitalist environment and strong legal tradition provide a solid foundation for growth and gives confidence to investors despite the evident impediments.

Besides tax exemption have also been enacted for infrastructure investments, it said.

The World Bank forecasts Asia's infrastructure needs at one trillion dollar over the next five years, led by emerging economic powers China and India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/2095254.cms
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #2
ravi4you
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Likes (Received): 0

corruption in india

Dear Friend,
corruption in india is only in Northern states,
south india is very much civilized and well mannered
people in south are litrate and intellegent.
That is why Nemma Benguluru is know as IT city ,knowledge city ,silicon valley in world.
we are building new big international airport and metro ,hundreds of IT parks ,
so please dont generalize whole india .
only north india is corrupt and poor
south is progressing more than china
ravi.n
ravi4you no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol
 
snow is red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi4you View Post
Dear Friend,
corruption in india is only in Northern states,
south india is very much civilized and well mannered
people in south are litrate and intellegent.
That is why Nemma Benguluru is know as IT city ,knowledge city ,silicon valley in world.
we are building new big international airport and metro ,hundreds of IT parks ,
so please dont generalize whole india .
only north india is corrupt and poor
south is progressing more than china
ravi.n
Can you please keep China out of your indian discussion please ? Chinese section hardly mention India, so please do us a favour, do not bring China into your internal affairs.
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: HK 香港
Posts: 248
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi4you View Post
Dear Friend,
corruption in india is only in Northern states,
south india is very much civilized and well mannered
people in south are litrate and intellegent.
That is why Nemma Benguluru is know as IT city ,knowledge city ,silicon valley in world.
we are building new big international airport and metro ,hundreds of IT parks ,
so please dont generalize whole india .
only north india is corrupt and poor
south is progressing more than china

ravi.n
you are also doing the same thing by generalising whole China....
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
itsmevishal2k4
Registered User
 
itsmevishal2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, Buffalo, SF
Posts: 308
Likes (Received): 1

fellow ssc forumers

plz ignore this user as he is supposedly a troll. Please forgive him, and yes a lot of us SSC forumers do agree with this article.

we need to figure something out about this.
for example we need to possibly restrict terms, so politicians dont feel they have to keep votes on their side, they can just act for the best of the country.
itsmevishal2k4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #6
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
_00_deathscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,050
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmevishal2k4 View Post
fellow ssc forumers

plz ignore this user as he is supposedly a troll. Please forgive him, and yes a lot of us SSC forumers do agree with this article.

we need to figure something out about this.
for example we need to possibly restrict terms, so politicians dont feel they have to keep votes on their side, they can just act for the best of the country.
Bar the China comment, would you deny he has a point?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Krups99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg81 View Post
NEW DELHI: India lacks sufficient cash reserves to finance its infrastructure wish-list while high corruption levels and bureaucratic hurdles have made international financing hard to come by, a study says.

"Unlike China, India does not have enough cash to self-finance its considerable infrastructure wish-list, although the country boasts of USD 190 billion in foreign exchange reserves to leverage project funding," global professional services firm Ernst and Young (E&Y) said in its latest report.

The report, which examines trends in infrastructure and finance, said these hurdles could block India's transformation from a third world country into a 'global powerhouse'.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had last year pegged the investment requirement for the infrastructure sector at USD 320 billion for the next few years.

Though India welcomes private investments through public-private partnerships allowing up to 100 per cent of foreign equity in projects, loopholes like weak regulatory controls and bureaucracy create delays and uncertainties besides adding to costs.

"Corruption in India has made international financing for infrastructure hard to come by; without it, India's infrastructure will remain stuck in the previous era," the report titled 'Infrastructure 2007:A Global Perspective' said.

However, the country's capitalist environment and strong legal tradition provide a solid foundation for growth and gives confidence to investors despite the evident impediments.

Besides tax exemption have also been enacted for infrastructure investments, it said.

The World Bank forecasts Asia's infrastructure needs at one trillion dollar over the next five years, led by emerging economic powers China and India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/2095254.cms
corruption in India is like a disease which is slowly eating up our country. It is prevalent in every part of our society. I agree, India has tremendous potential to become a global powerhouse only if right people are elected to lead our country to that stage. However, I believe India is slowly awakening to the problems that's why there are people who are working towards eradicating corruption, strengthening our social and physical infrastructure and helping elect the right leaders for India. I support the Nav-bharat political movement because it will Search, Identify, Short-list, Select and Help Elect the right leaders for India. It promises the brightest, capable and the most committed candidates representing us in the Assembly and Parliament. I'm sure every citizen loves their country and want to volunteer for its betterment. I hope you will visit the www.nav-bharat.org website and join in for your nation's progress.
Krups99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #8
prake12WG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Likes (Received): 0

plz ignore this user as he is supposedly a troll. Please forgive him, and yes a lot of us SSC forumers do agree with this article.
prake12WG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
normand
Registered User
 
normand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manila
Posts: 294
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow is red View Post
Can you please keep China out of your indian discussion please ? Chinese section hardly mention India, so please do us a favour, do not bring China into your internal affairs.
Of course they do mention India a lot, you barely notice it because it's in Chinese
normand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
nkim1587
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Likes (Received): 0

Can you please keep China out of your indian discussion please ? Chinese section hardly mention India, so please do us a favour, do not bring China into your internal affairs.

nkim1587 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu