daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old September 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #61
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Okay... can we get back on topic of developments in the Mountain State
Sure.

Quote:
rather than biased, unsubstantiated personal commentaries on who is "raping" who?
Everyone is biased, but that doesn't change facts. Apparently you are not aware the history related to that part of the state. I am. I am not straying away from development news. I was merely making a comment - a point and it's rather significant.
ohpenn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #62
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 47

I've heard the rumours, but they are wholly unsubstantiated, once again. It's appearant that you wholly disapprove of how the state functions, and the deliverance of state monies to areas were the population resides. Plenty of money flows into the southern part of the state panhandle -- for instance, in the construction of the money-losing Tamarack, or the belated and wholly unncessary King Coal Highway/Delbarton Connector/Coalfields Expressway. Outside of the Bluefield and Beckley regions, I can't find much of anything in the way of new developments, attributed to the area's poor economic conditions onset by coal mining and isolation features.

But please, let's keep the "facts" which are wholly unsupported and uncited elsewhere. I haven't found one reliable article that supports the very notion of one section of state raping another.
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #63
DCKenny

Likes (Received): 0

I went to West Virginia for the first time in my life it's really different coming from DC it's cool there in the summer. I wish I could of took some pictures when I was there. I was in the northern panhandle the city of Keyser I don't know what to consider this state part of the south or Mid-Atlantic even the mid-west. Maybe West Virginia should be it's own region.lol Overall the state is beautiful.
DCKenny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #64
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I've heard the rumours, but they are wholly unsubstantiated, once again
Well if you heard unsubstantiated rumors that what you heard. Some of us know.

Quote:
It's appearant that you wholly disapprove of how the state functions, and the deliverance of state monies to areas were the population resides.
Yes as it it is not delivering monies to areas where population resides. The state has no major cities, only towns and 2 of the 5 or so largest have been screwed by the state considering their historic disproportionate giving to the state of tax dollars. It's not unsubstanitiated "rumors," it's history, and the contempt for Northern Panhandle is amazing.

Last edited by ohpenn; September 6th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
ohpenn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #65
seicer
Historian, photographer

[Martinsburg] Meridian Pointe mixed-use project planned

[Personal note: I am not wholly opposed to this project, as it is considered infill development, with Interstate 81 lying to the north and Martinsburg directly to the south.]

Project touted as ‘town center’
By Michael C. Lewis, The Journal [Martinsburg], September 6, 2007

Meridian Pointe, a 54-acre residential and commercial project, is planned along the proposed Raleigh Street extension.

Martinsburg’s Planning Commission voted Wednesday to approve a plan for the development along Lutz Avenue, parallel to Edwin Miller Blvd., in space recently annexed by the city. It is near Interstate 81. The goal of the development, as put by the investors involved in the project, is for a well-planned community that would compliment the proposed Raleigh Street extension.

The gateway project would bring an estimated 2,000 new jobs to the area and cost developers more than $100 million to construct. It would offer more than 400,000 sq. ft. of lease space for commercial and retail companies, as well as a hotel. The goal is to create an environment conductive to the high-tech industry. The residential portion of the project would include a mix of condominiums, corporate apartments and villas, an extensive system of interconnected parks and open space, and playgrounds, clubhouses and a pool. One emphasis will be on extensive landscaping and pedestrian-friendly sidewalks.

The developers are proposing to build a single north-south boulevard that would connect the existing southern end of Lutz Avenue with the new Raleigh Street extension, which would provide motorists with an alternative to West Virginia Route 9 between Interstate 81 and downtown.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #66
Eagle Empire
%

Likes (Received): 9

Anything going on in Morgantown?
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #67
seicer
Historian, photographer

^ I don't have access to their archives, so what I read is pretty much limited to WVU's newspaper or web-site. I do know they have nice infill and redevelopment projects ongoing in the downtown and riverfront, and on campus.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #68
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCKenny View Post
I I was in the northern panhandle the city of Keyser I don't know what to consider this state part of the south or Mid-Atlantic even the mid-west. Maybe West Virginia should be it's own region.lol Overall the state is beautiful.
Keyser is in the Eastern Panhandle.
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #69
DallasTexan

ok, all of West Virginia is poor. No one hates each other.
DallasTexan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #70
seicer
Historian, photographer

Pretty much, sans the Metro valley. It's interesting to note, that since West Virginia has seen its population remain relatively stable, you wonder why there is so much growth in the Metro valley (and near Morgantown). Then you look at how far many areas have depopulated, with some counties losing 50% of their population over the past 50 years. (McDowell had 90,000+ in 1950, dropping to just over 23,000 today)
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #71
triadcat
BANNED

I have known quite a few people originally from West Virginia here in the Triad. I had a geography teacher in high school from WV, knew a few families from WV and quite a few others orig. from WV. Many of them are in blue-collar jobs here. WV is still losing people to close by states because much of their economy is based on coal. Pretty state; not so progressive though.
WV is like how NC was back in the 1800's. NC was known as the "Rip Van Winkle State" in the 1800's.......it was "asleep" economically, socially, politically and culturally. West Virginia now holds that title.
triadcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #72
seicer
Historian, photographer

Officials focusing on downtown Parkersburg

Officials focusing on downtown Parkersburg
By Jody Murphy, Parkersburg News and Sentinel, September 9, 2007

Downtown Parkersburg once was rife with vacant storefronts and blocks of demolished buildings. But business expansion and redevelopment has spurred a resurgence. The construction of the city's riverfront park will boost tourism and promote the waterfront, and soon, new housing will help complete the regeneration of the city's downtown area.

The city's riverfront park plans are the latest designs in a scheme to revitalize the downtown. Elsewhere, the Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital was recently expanded. The new Mountain State Blue Cross Blue Shield building has been proposed, along with the new Federal Government Public Debt building, and several residential areas.

The new Mountain State Blue Cross Blue Shield building will be located at Seventh and Market Streets, adjacent to the company's current headquarters. It will more than double the space of the current building's 57,000 sq. ft., and house 760 employees. It will include training and conference rooms, an in-house printing facility, a data center and a walk-in customer service center. It will also feature a public corner plaza that will have decorative paving, landscaping, outdoor seating and a fountain; the plaza could also house a restaurant or retail center. The former building, once a Union Trust Bank dating to 1903, will remain standing. It could be converted into upscale condominiums and retail.

Housing projects include Avery Courts and several more that are planned. Other renovations and expansions in the downtown area include the YMCA building, the Actors Guild Playhouse, the Parkersburg Art Center and the Smoot Theatre.
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #73
Evergrey

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page...5.html?nav=515

Real Estate Agent: No Deal On Capitol Music Hall Sale
By CASEY JUNKINS

POSTED: September 20, 2007

WHEELING — Real estate agent Carl Nix is looking to draw up a new deal for the Capitol Music Hall, as a previous agreement to buy the venue has fizzled.

“Well, I guess it’s back to the drawing board,” Nix said Wednesday.

Also, city officials who previously expressed interest in acquiring the venue on behalf of Wheeling said they may now take another look at the theater.

Mayor Nick Sparachane said the city had expressed interest in acquiring the property, but backed off when they learned of serious private interest in the venue earlier this summer.

In August, Wheeling dentist Dr. Manny Velez announced he — along with Theresa and Jim Childers of Bellaire — had signed an agreement with Live Nation to purchase the Capitol from Live Nation.

Nix, an agent with Harvey Goodman Realtor, said the contract Velez and the Childers signed July 31 would expire at the end of the day Wednesday — midnight — because the 50-day due diligence period passed.

“If they were going to close on this deal, I would have known it by now, and nothing has come through on it,” he said.

“Therefore, I am assuming they are not going to close on the deal, which means the Capitol will go back on the market,” Nix added.

Velez and the Childers did not return calls for comment Wednesday.

Sparachane said he was surprised to hear the deal had fallen through.

“I was scheduled to meet with the partners at 4 p.m. (Wednesday) with regard to the Capitol, so I guess I know what it is about now,” he said.

Sparachane could not be reached for comment late Wednesday regarding the meeting.

At the time of his announcement about agreeing to buy the Capitol, Velez said he intended to have the venue up and running again by October. Although Velez previously declined to say how much he and his partners offered to pay for the Capitol, he noted it was less than the $850,000 asking price. Nix said the down payments the partners made on the property would be returned to them.

The historic theater, located on Main Street in the downtown, is home to radio stations and a ticket box office. For decades it hosted a variety of musical acts, in addition to plays, musicals and dance recitals. It also served as headquarters for the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra, which now is scheduled to hold its concerts at WesBanco Arena and John Marshall High School.

Live Nation spokesman John Vlautin previously said the company closed the venue in May due to 23 fire code violations reported to them by the Wheeling Fire Department, including the lack of an adequate sprinkler system.

On Aug. 23, City Manager Robert Herron released a list of repairs and upgrades concerning fire code issues compiled by Fire Department Chief Inspector Larry Helms that anyone wishing to reopen and operate the theater must perform.

According to the report, the existing sprinkler system heads must be updated and tested and a flow switch must be connected to the system; all exit doors must function properly; exit corridors shall be kept cleared; and all exit signs shall be properly lit.

Furthermore, the report requires future design plans be submitted for the following: sprinkler coverage throughout the building; fire alarm system throughout the building; exit and emergency lighting throughout the building; and a complete electrical inspection report.

“No one will be permitted to operate or open the Capitol Music Hall until all of these requirements are met,” Helms has said.

Nix said he did not know if the fire safety requirements discouraged the potential buyers from completing the deal, or if they may have hindered their ability to assemble financing to close on the deal.

Nix said he is already looking at more potential buyers because he thinks the right buyers will be able to complete the purchase.

“Right now, there are two people interested, and I will be contacting them later to see what they think,” he said, noting one party is local and one is not.

Hydie Friend, executive director of the Wheeling National Heritage Area Corp., said she knows it is important to have the Capitol open and contributing to the city, but realizes it is a tough sale because of the safety issues.

“I knew from the beginning this would be a difficult project for any investor,” she said.

Sparachane said city officials will meet within the next two weeks to “see what we can do.”

“We are working on a lot of things in the downtown area right now, so we will take a look at this,” he said.

Councilman Barry Crow said the city “might be interested in the property.”

“One way or another, the Capitol has to get going for downtown Wheeling, but it also needs to be safe,” he said.

The deed currently on file at the Ohio County Clerk’s office shows that SFX Capital Holdings LLC purchased the Capitol from Osborn Entertainment Enterprises Corp. on Dec. 8, 2005 for $800,000. SFX Entertainment is owned by Live Nation.

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:15 AM   #74
seicer
Historian, photographer

Morgantown rentals seek to set new standard

Morgantown rentals seek to set new standard
By Kellen Henry, Charleston Daily Mail, September 20, 2007

Morgantown's Sunnyside neighborhood is receiving a facelift with new luxury properties. The neighborhood was once one of the most notorious and blighted in the state. One of the new developments is the $26 million Augusta on the Square apartment complex that replaced substandard rental housing along the stadium loop section of University Avenue and Falling Run Road that is near West Virginia University's downtown campus.

Two of the large buildings are setting a new standard for rental housing in the city. The rental rates range from $445 a month for a bunk bed in a shared bedroom to $915 a month for a single-occupancy apartment, and is more expensive than the $300 to $600 a month that students pay for units elsewhere. The Augusta units, however, are furnished, and include all utilities and Internet access. About 2/3 of the 296 bedrooms in the 156 apartments are filled.

The complex comes with 24-hour security and key cards, and underground parking spaces. It's facade features a brick and stacked-stone exterior that is meant to look like WVU buildings such as the newly renovated Oglebay Hall

The 18-month project was finished in 8.5 months, but work has been ongoing since 1980, when the developers began buying lots and demolishing houses to form the current acreage. Ground was broken in January 2007. $2.5 million dollars in a special kind of financing will pay for upgraded infrastructure surrounding the complex, and allows developers to delay paying the higher property taxes that normally would result from increased property values caused by the development. Instead of paying the higher taxes, the developer devotes that money to debt taken on for the project.

The 29-acres surrounding the development are some of the most valuable in the state, which can fetch more than a million dollars per acre. The land is considered part of the city's "Sunnyside Up" neighborhood revitalization project. Morgantown has invested in the development by amending the city's zoning laws and helping developers obtain a $5 million state economic grant, the special tax financing and other financing through the sale of bonds, and are also part of negotiations with prospective investors, bankers and financers.

--

With the Augusta apartments completed, the developers will begin work on the next phases of the $250 million Square at Falling Run. Within three to 10 years, the developers hope to straighten out University Avenue to provide space for retail shops, a hotel, extensions of university buildings and apartments -- all over a parking garage. The concept has been approved by the city, and work should begin in spring 2008.
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #75
Eagle Empire
%

Likes (Received): 9

Where is Sunnyside in Morgantown?
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM   #76
seicer
Historian, photographer

I'm not for sure, but here is Falling Run Road at University.
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #77
seicer
Historian, photographer

Byrd on board for preservation of battlefield

Byrd on board for preservation of battlefield
By BOB ZIMBEROFF, The Journal, September 26, 2007

Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) has joined along the ranks of a battle preservation group's efforts to call on the National Park Service to conduct a study of the Battle of Shepherdstown. Announced on September 12, just eight days before the 145th anniversary of the Civil War battle that occurred Sept. 20, 1862 and which closed the fighting of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Maryland campaign, the study will help determine the national significance of the battlefield. It is the first step in creating a National Civil War Battlefield Park.

Quote:
“West Virginia is home to many great landmarks that are a significant part of our nation’s history. I am pleased to be working with the Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association to help initiate this National Park Service study.”

-Robert C. Byrd
In October 2004, a group of people gathered to talk about plans by a Maryland-based developer, Wind Song Homes, to build 152 homes on 122 acres at Faraway Farm, where most of the 1862 battle took place. The red brick, 200-year-old Faraway farmhouse still has a cannon ball lodged in its side. The group later organized as the Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association Inc. and fought the development. They hope to purchase the property for preservation, and it lies within a 300-acre tract that the group has targeted as the most important part of the battlefield.

Most of the action took place west of Trough Road; there are currently seven homes on the 300 acres that line the road.

Since their initial action, SBPA has raised $644,000 and has secured 84 acres as the core battlefield property through conservation easements. 18 more acres cannot be developed any further, and the Save Historic Antietam Foundation is attempting to purchase 13 acres of what was the Boteler Cement Mill. The Cement Mill property lies parallel to the Potomac near where Union troops crossed the river at Boteler's Ford. The mill started operations in 1829 to provide natural cement for the construction of the C&O Canal.
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #78
seicer
Historian, photographer

[Martinsburg] Visions for downtown discussed

Visions for downtown discussed
By MICHAEL C. LEWIS / Journal Staff Writer
September 26, 2007

MARTINSBURG — That first three to five years for any new business owner is considered a critical time to determine if the business will make it or break it, and whether the business can contribute to the vibrancy of downtown.

The City Club of Martinsburg invited Elizabeth Via, director of community development for the city of Manassas, Va., to speak on “Economic Incentives for Downtowns” during a Wednesday luncheon at the Shenandoah Hotel.

Via shared her vision to create a vibrant and robust downtown district that encourages business development and creates new choices for residents and tourists alike with the more than 30 guests who shared lunch.

Upon her arrival, Via said she immediately connected to the downtown business district, and noticed like Manassas, Martinsburg has a concentration of restaurants, which provide the largest share of retail revenue in the city.

“I’d kill to have this downtown,” Via said referring to the buildings, architecture and office space. “This would be a joy to work with.”

Via said a historic downtown, like Martinsburg, needs to ask itself “if retail is it,” or should business owners consider moving away from retail and towards more arts and entertainment in downtown. Otherwise, retail business owners could find themselves competing in a no-win battle with sprawling shopping centers, she said.

“You cannot compete with shopping centers, so why try? Find something in downtown that those groups can’t do. Find what it is that could be here,” she said.

In Manassas, a trend has begun toward creating a concentrated arts and retail district that is fostering the growth of not only dine-out restaurants, but also more arts and entertainment venues.

Whatever path is chosen for Martinsburg, economic incentives could be used to promote growth and development in the business corridor.

Real estate property tax abatements, sales tax rebates, qualified targeted industry tax refund and low interest loan programs were just a few of the incentives Via mentioned.

“The first thing we did in Manassas was we drafted a vision for ‘Old Town,’ and we stayed consistent with that vision,” she said, adding it is easy for local governments to put incentive plans together. “Once you put new incentives in place, you constantly have to reevaluate them.”

By linking the tourism zone and the arts district, a city would have two specific areas designated by ordinance allowing local governments to grant tax incentives, she said.

“It’s part of the marketing theme,” Via said of joining the two. “Put incentives where you want growth.”

Randy Lewis, executive director of Main Street Martinsburg, said his organization is trying to build on the arts in downtown, mentioning that part of the problem is making people aware that there is a downtown with restaurants and specialty shops to choose from.

“I thought she gave us good information,” Lewis said. “It has to start with all of us in that room today. We have to work together. Until then, nothing can be accomplished.”

“We have to find our own niche, and we have to have both retail and entertainment,” he said.

For Lewis, it starts with the property owners. It is his opinion that they should screen tenants coming in to open a business and ask them what their plans are for their business.

“We all have to work together with property owners to encourage better businesses downtown and those businesses to stay,” said Lewis, who indicated six new downtown businesses have opened during the summer. “We need to communicate. We all need to sit down and work together to determine our goals.”
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #79
seicer
Historian, photographer

[Bluefield] Downtown Bluefield landmark keeps new job growth flourishing

Downtown Bluefield landmark keeps new job growth flourishing
By Charles Owens, Bluefield Daily Telegraph, October 9, 2007

The former six-story Appalachian Power Company on Bland Street (what a name) is seeing new life and is creating jobs for Bluefield. The recent addition of a new engineering firm with 12 employees brings the number of tenants to 12, and the number of new jobs created to 42 at the now-named Bluefield State College Research and Development Corporation building.

The building provides a base of operations for a variety of businesses and agencies, many of which did not have a previous presence in West Virginia, and acts as an incubator.

The structure welcomed its first two tenants in July 2005. The college acquired the old building a little more than three years ago, and it currently features an auditorium, conference room, classrooms, and a computer training lab available for lease. Several regional organizations also use the facilities within the building for meetings, dinners, receptions, banquets, and training events.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #80
Evergrey

WV demographic and economic profile

http://www.rupri.org/Forms/WestVirginia.pdf