daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #161
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

true but not atm, as long as lee myung bak is in charge, no...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #162
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

I just visited Seoul for the first time 2 days ago, and didn't find it pretty, but it was an interesting city. Pretty doesn't have to be European architecture, I find Singapore and KL among the prettiest cities in the world.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #163
Sukkiri

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTOCOPENHAGEN View Post
Nice tower for a very nice, but quite unpretty city.

Look forward to see it rise.
You have to be joking! Seoul has many nice parts to the city and, comparatively speaking, it is much nicer looking than many European and American cities, let alone among the cities in Asia. You have to take in account the fact that Seoul has had rapid growth over the past few decades and the lack of space for development.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #164
cydevil
Faith of the Heart

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukkiri View Post
You have to be joking! Seoul has many nice parts to the city and, comparatively speaking, it is much nicer looking than many European and American cities, let alone among the cities in Asia. You have to take in account the fact that Seoul has had rapid growth over the past few decades and the lack of space for development.
Thank you for the complement.

I think a better explanation for the not-so-pretty parts of the city, which comprises a greater portion of the city IMO, is rapid development and politics.

At first, Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world, and Seoul was practically leveled to the ground during the war. With rapid economic development, people started flocking into the city, eventually to the 20+ million figure today, and there was dire need for new housing. And the government, a dictatorship ruling a constitutionally democratic state, had fragile legitimacy, so what they could not afford in their hands was a disgruntled population without decent housing. The solution of course was supplying as much housing as possible at the cheapest cost. So the result?

Commie blocks. Endless seas of ugly commie blocks. If they even bothered to build those in more squarish styles, which is more expensive supposedly, Seoul could have had a somewhat impressive skyline throughout the entire city and the metro area.

Not that I think this was the wrong course of action. Having grown up in one of those commie blocks in Seoul, happy families with adequate housings is much more important than having an impressive skyline. However, people are beginning to realize that Seoul could look better, so recently there was a shift of focus to buildings with better designs forming a coherent skyline. But this is just for the riverside areas and some city centers. In the new satellite cities, they'll still build commie blocks for the bulk of the new housings for the middle class people.
cydevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #165
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

Those are not bad, they seem to be the newer commie block, not the old 70's 80's monsters, the ones in that picture is the newer kind because they got that spot for the ac units outside and there is some landscaping done, they have more color and the roofs have a better finish, you can also tell they are newer because of the big sidewalks meaning a new urbanize area.

Unlike their older brothers, I think these are a nice improvement. The old ones are all over the place in the satellite cities, they all look the same, with big number in the sides. In the positive side all this has been changing by adding some design to the newer towers coming up, especially in the coronation by adding some architectural elements and by also adding some lightning. But beside the outskirts, Seoul has some nice areas. I seen some really quality residential towers next to Yongsan military post, and by Itawon there are some high class modern residential houses. To be honest it probably looks beautiful right now next to Seoul tower the parks in that area are full of flowers at this time of the year.

I know my pic sucks, but here is a great example to follow of residential towers.

Anyways i went way offtopic but i think this tower is a sign of how greatly their designs are improving.
Fabrega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #166
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

point is cesc, that everything has pros and cons. Even the NYC has pros and cons. Seoul definately has pros and cons and can be seen easily.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #167
architec101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

SKorea must no longer allow buildings of such uniformality and simplicity. Once such a building is up, it will have a long lasting detrimental effect on the look of the city and its dwellers. Please, consider building them so that it is cherished, not demolished in a few years. Consider one such example, S-Trenue, buildings such as that will attract even those who have the least appreciation for visual art and architecture. If you are going to build one, build to intrigue people. I hope Lotte may listen and design their new super tall building to inspire others.
architec101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #168
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
hope with my life, but I doubt it will happen as long as lee myung bak is in charge of the country. We should brace ourselves for next chaos he'll bring.
What? Why do you have to blame LMB? What did he do? If SK is not doing well, please, blame yourself and your attitude.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #169
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

am i actually being asked this question?

what kind of president cuts tax from rich and sky rockets tax out of poors? he's a sick human being...

anyway bak to topic..

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #170
Assurbanipal

Likes (Received): 124

Cool commieblocks...and very nice Parc1 towers too. Seul is very interesting, for sure.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #171
miau
ausgewachsene m÷rderkatze

Likes (Received): 5313

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydevil View Post

Those are actually very interesting 'commie' blocks. Are there any plans to renovate or paint them, to make them less eye-sorish?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #172
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
am i actually being asked this question?

what kind of president cuts tax from rich and sky rockets tax out of poors? he's a sick human being...

anyway bak to topic..
I don't think you are factual. BTW, what's up with all the demonstrations now in SK? Are they crazy or bored to death with their lives? They are divisive and political. They need to stop all of their commie nonsenses and get jobs for God's sake if they ever want to help themselves. I do not agree with your political support on the left Koreans or poor SKoreans who are prone to be violent and self-destructive. That's not helping and your saying that LMB represses poors is just your political excuse for their violent behaviors. Sorry for my political opinion but how Korea is looked today has a lot to do with the individual attitudes such as yours. It pains me to say that I am not proud of the certain qualities of those S. Koreans.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #173
korea2002

Likes (Received): 1269

korea2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #174
cydevil
Faith of the Heart

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by miau View Post
Those are actually very interesting 'commie' blocks. Are there any plans to renovate or paint them, to make them less eye-sorish?
Actually those are newer ones probably built within the last five years. Older ones look more drabby with exposed linear hallways. Something like this:

Newer buildings have larger flats and more elevators, obviating the linear hallways. Instead of linear hallways, there is just a small hallway inbetween two flats, providing access to one elevator and the stairs. This is probably the only difference between older and newer commie blocks. The newest ones though have some roof decorations to look a little better.

Public renovation for these buildings are out of the question, unless you can rally the residents to pay up. Repaintings are done every few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architec101 View Post
I don't think you are factual. BTW, what's up with all the demonstrations now in SK? Are they crazy or bored to death with their lives? They are divisive and political. They need to stop all of their commie nonsenses and get jobs for God's sake if they ever want to help themselves. I do not agree with your political support on the left Koreans or poor SKoreans who are prone to be violent and self-destructive. That's not helping and your saying that LMB represses poors is just your political excuse for their violent behaviors. Sorry for my political opinion but how Korea is looked today has a lot to do with the individual attitudes such as yours. It pains me to say that I am not proud of the certain qualities of those S. Koreans.
Come on guys.. lets leave politics out of this. There's plenty of room for that in Korean Skybar.
cydevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #175
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

really those buildings dont look so bad!!! I think a group of many similar building is a unique thing any where!
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #176
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

it is the most common thing in Korea, whereva u go in skorea, u'll see identical apartment blocks everywehere..

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #177
korea2002

TOP Down-Construction speed is slow-2009.5

Do you know Top Down Construction??
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #178
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Seoul's got a beautiful skyline, and I personally think the excess amount of commie blocks adds a charm to the city.
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #179
Nashvillain

Likes (Received): 0

An article in the Korea Times today tells of bad news for Parc 1 and SFIC in Yeoiudo. It seems that they are having trouble landing tenants and the major financial backer of Parc 1 is rumored to be looking for a way out of the project. Construction has ground to a halt and may not be completed until 2013, two years late.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...123_47599.html
Nashvillain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #180
korea2002

is this On Hold??-2009.6.28

Yeouido Financial Hub Project Foundering

Mirae Rumored to Be Backing Out as Financier; Tenants Are in Short Supply

By Jane Han
Staff Reporter

The two state-of-the-art property development projects ― Seoul International Finance Center (SIFC) and Parc1 ― currently under construction right across the street from each other in Yeouido have been continually compared to one another from the start.

Both ― designed to be super tall, eco-friendly modern mixed-use complexes ― have positioned themselves to secure top corporate tenants and become the city's landmarks by 2011. But with two years left until their target completion date, neither seems to be on top of their schedules.

Parc1, which is being developed by Skylan Properties, is on the brink of losing its biggest investor Mirae Asset, according to industry sources.

``Mirae is looking for an out as the project is having financing issues,'' said one official familiar with the situation, who declined to be named. Last year, Mirae Asset pledged to invest 900 billion won in the 1.3-trillion-won building, comprised of two office towers, a hotel and shopping complex.

The official said construction has more or less stopped, delaying the completion date to 2013 at the earliest.

However, both Mirae and Skylan Properties fended off the rumors.

``There are always minor slowdowns in major projects like Parc1,'' said a Skylan spokesperson, who stressed that the construction is making progress ``on schedule for completion in 2011.''

With possible delays aside, Parc1 has so far secured no pre-leasing commitments to fill the giant office space.

``There are just not that many tenants out there interested,'' said one industry source close to the situation, who also didn't want to be identified. ``Companies don't feel comfortable moving in this kind of economy, and they don't feel comfortable with Yeouido.''

The country's financial district, a large island on the Han River, is home to many domestic financial firms, but hasn't been a popular choice among foreign brokerages, who mostly prefer the Central Business District (CBD) in downtown Seoul.

In terms of leasing, SIFC is winning the battle, he said, ``but both are still behind in locking in tenants.''

Deloitte is the first and only company that signed in May to lease nine floors of SIFC, but no further commitment has been made since.

Despite the turnout, the Seoul Metropolitan Government ― which is working together with AIG GRE, the real estate investment arm of the beleaguered insurance firm AIG ― is sticking to its preference for global financial firms.

Its plan is to lease the building only to multinational corporations to help raise SIFC and Yeouido's profile as ``Asia's Wall Street.''

``We have a vision for the project and we're going to keep pushing for it,'' said Cho Young-jin, a Seoul City official, who added that the city government is in the planning stages to build better infrastructure for foreign businessmen and their families who move to the financial district.

``Detailed plans will be announced in the coming months,'' said Cho, who claims that securing Deloitte will send a positive signal to the market.

Real estate experts agree that the latest deal will prompt more action, but they point out that bigger and better incentives are needed to get companies to move to Yeouido.

``Getting any commitments for capital expenditure is difficult at this point,'' said Darren Krakowiak, head of research at Jones Lang LaSalle, a global real estate consultancy, who explained that incentives such as shouldering moving costs and providing rent-free periods will help companies decide.

bad news...ifc seoul & Parc1 Construction....
did Economic Disaster come in korea?? OMG!!