daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2015, 06:42 AM   #2041
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Ah right, so basically it's never really the case that the leasing company buys the trains and then tells the TOCs "this is what we have available for you to use"?

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #2042
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Ah right, so basically it's never really the case that the leasing company buys the trains and then tells the TOCs "this is what we have available for you to use"?
I don't think so, this would mean a huge financial liability for the ROSCO if they have no customers for the rolling stock they ordered. UK passenger stock is pretty much unusable outside of the UK due to the more narrow loading gauge.

Without knowing your customers up front it's hard to determine how many trains would be needed. If a ROSCO would purchase 50 new diesel trains this would probably be fine for a network the size of, say, Chiltern Railways.

However they would never be able to get this leased to the next operator of the Northern franchise as that operator would require much more trains. From a TOCs point of view its undesirable to have a plethora of different trains in the fleet as it would reduce flexibility while adding to complexity for driver's training, maintenance and planning.

If two ROSCOs would operate with l a "we buy something and you must use it" policy while the 3rd one wouldn't, then TOCs would go to the latter if they need new rolling stock.

Sopomon liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #2043
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Video about rebuilding of Farnworth tunnel in Manchester, part of electrification project:

Swede, Richard_P liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #2044
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Birmingham New Street Announcements

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:39 AM   #2045
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Progress on East West Rail Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAWOL View Post
New Oxford Parkway rail building is taking shape + video (From The Oxford Times)
Quote:
ENGINEERS yesterday marked the end of construction of the passenger building at Oxford Parkway three months after it began.

Chiltern Railways managing director Rob Brighouse visited the site in Water Eaton ahead of the start of work to fit out the interior. The new station, which will link Oxford with London Marylebone, is set to be up and running by September.

Mr Brighouse said: “The team has been working exceptionally hard to reach this significant milestone. We’re getting ever closer to opening Oxford Parkway in September 2015 and it will provide significant economic, social and environmental benefits.”

The station is part of Chiltern Railways’ £130 million Evergreen Three project to create a rail link between Oxford and London Marylebone via Kidlington, Bicester and High Wycombe. It is part of a larger £290m scheme to re-open the East-West rail link from Reading to Bedford via Oxford, Bicester Town and Milton Keynes.

https://twitter.com/HughJaeger/statu...00027612803072
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #2046
ElectroSoldier

Likes (Received): 301

Some photos of the grand daddy of railway terminus stations.
Liverpool Lime Street.

dimlys1994 liked this post
ElectroSoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #2047
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Not counting HS1, where the 400m Eurostars reside, what is the maximum length of trains in the UK? I'm under the impression that not only the UK has the smallest loading gauge in Europe, but also very short maximum train lengths, probably caused by limited platform length. In continental Europe trains in the 320m to 400m range aren't uncommon.
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #2048
ElectroSoldier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvTZMBR28z8

I rather none descript video in many ways its just a train driving through a station, however as it says in teh description its 770 meters long and its all up weight was over 2800 metric tons.

Passenger trains are limited by a number of factors, station length, 3rd rail power consumption, fitting onto chord lines...
In general most platforms can take at least a 6 car train, express stations 9-11 depending how important the station is. 13 coaches and up the largest platforms start to struggle
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #2049
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

A max of 13 coaches (13x25m + 20m loco = 345m) isn't as bad as I thought, but I suppose the Dutch saying 'the handicap of a head start' is applicable here. Most stations were built ages ago in a time long trains weren't needed. Now longer trains would be nice but platforms can't be extended because of a track layout that has evolved over time.
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #2050
ElectroSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
A max of 13 coaches (13x25m + 20m loco = 345m) isn't as bad as I thought, but I suppose the Dutch saying 'the handicap of a head start' is applicable here. Most stations were built ages ago in a time long trains weren't needed. Now longer trains would be nice but platforms can't be extended because of a track layout that has evolved over time.
Indeed, stations that started as intermediate local stations like Allerton in Liverpool have become larger stations than ever was imagined, in the case of Allerton there is a 4 track layout with an island platform and lineside platforms, so 3 platforms service 4 tracks, there is a bridge at one end of the station and on one of the side platforms there is a junction to the left so that platform is trapped between the bridge and the junction, there is no room to expand but that is exactly what is needed as it forms the main passenger track away from Liverpool.

There are many such instances of this throughout the network, a legacy of being so old, I dont suppose they ever imagined it would become larger and even if they did when it was built there would have been room to move things around, now with building works around the station there is no room there either.
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #2051
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

Quote:
You should take some corrections to Your calculations as everything in Britain is smaller than on continent. As a result of that typical mark 3 passenger car is only 23 m long thus 13x23 gives only 299m and that's even exaggerated as WCML Pendolinos up to few years back were only 9 cars (217,5 m) and only recently were extended to 11 cars (265,3 m) and severe platform extensions were needed. You also have to bear in mind that typical UK car is between 20-21 m long so very long 12 car train for Thameslink gives only 240 m of length without any possibility of double deck formations.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #2052
audi2111

Likes (Received): 3

Has anyone had a 45min connection between Euston and St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar? The eurostar website is putting a 48min connection but isn't there a passport check etc.?
audi2111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #2053
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Not counting HS1, where the 400m Eurostars reside, what is the maximum length of trains in the UK? I'm under the impression that not only the UK has the smallest loading gauge in Europe, but also very short maximum train lengths, probably caused by limited platform length. In continental Europe trains in the 320m to 400m range aren't uncommon.
It will be the Caledonian Sleeper which has to use the former motorail platforms at Euston which are extra long. The full sleeper rake is 16 carriages comprised of some Mark IIs (20 metre coaches) and some Mark III sleeping coaches (23 metre coaches) plus a 90 on front. After that and excluding freight the longest trains will be 12 car networkers (12 23 metre long coaches), intercity stock (2+9 HSTs, 11 car 390s) etc.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #2054
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Is it possible, on a single daytime journey, to reach every railway station connected to the network in Great Britain island from London on a regular weekday?
Old February 10th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #2055
ElectroSoldier

UNITED KINGDOM | Railways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is it possible, on a single daytime journey, to reach every railway station connected to the network in Great Britain island from London on a regular weekday?

No not even close to half of them could be seen in a single 24 hour period. The network of stations is vast and spread out over the country in such a way as to make it impossible even if you travel as fast as the line allows without other trains to cause delays. You might see the majority of Scotrail stations though
Old February 10th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #2056
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroSoldier View Post
You might see the majority of Scotrail stations though
Had a thought and looked at some train times. Stranraer to Connel Ferry plus Mallaig to Thurso would take about 24hrs (even forgetting that trains don't run 24/7). 346 stations with a route length of about 2,800km. If it were possible to go to every station without doubling back on yourself it'd take about 14hrs on an Intercity 125, but that'd be impossible due to terminal lines, track speed etc.
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #2057
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I think he's asking if you can REACH any station from London in one day. i.e. London-Aberdeen, or London-Anglesey.

Suburbanist liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #2058
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I think he's asking if you can REACH any station from London in one day. i.e. London-Aberdeen, or London-Anglesey.
Ah, well in that case, unless there is a branch line somewhere with only one train a day you could very easily reach any station from London within 24 hours. Wick to London must be one of the furthest distance-wise and that's only 13.5 hours.

Suburbanist liked this post
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:48 AM   #2059
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Hmmm.

Leave 8:00 AM, and arrive at 9:30 PM? That's a LONG day's trip, but it's JUST about doable.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #2060
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
You should take some corrections to Your calculations as everything in Britain is smaller than on continent. As a result of that typical mark 3 passenger car is only 23 m long thus 13x23 gives only 299m
I already thought I did. I already took 25m instead of the 'usual' 26,4m length of a standard continental passenger coach. However this length is subject to change lately as one end of the spectrum more and more EMUs use Jacobs bogies and shorter carriages and at the other end the ICx has 27,9m intermediate coaches.

Tags
rail, railways